Chapter 166: The hunt begins.
132 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Hi there, it's me. Still alive, I promise, still writing. 

Fang Yau did not rest on the previous topic for too long, it wasn't something he considered worth lingering on, a choice was made, that was all there was to it. He instead turned his gaze towards the sky, towards the words that had been engraved into it for a decent bit of time now.

"Alright, so what's your next plan? A word of warning, I'll probably end up getting sent back to the starting point, no one here wants to accept my challenge so it's unlikely that I'll be able to acquire a win in the required time. I might head for those two interlopers, if I can't get my hands on them then I can at least take care of some of those that gather to deal with them, that should get me enough points. What about it, interested in joining?"

Fang Yau wasn't like Yin Long, he already had his fame and title even before the Three-Fold Territory Clash started. As such, unless he ran into one of the 180 competitors that had been handpicked by the Province Emperors, he had a bit of a hard time finding a fight. Of course, there was always an additional option people like him, those from large clans, could use, but he was a bit hesitant to resort to bribes just yet.

Yin Long and Xiao Yin Yu followed Fang Yau's gaze, but Yin Long's gaze didn't contain much interest. For others, the chance to get enough points to reach the fourth arena alone was a good reward, once you added in the pill and weapon provided by the Dominion Deity then it really could be considered something that could drive people insane. But to Yin Long, none of those things really mattered. He already had to wait to get to the fifth arena, and all his weapons were things he made himself, only the pill would be of some interest. But Yin Long was never terribly focused on his cultivation, it was always his swordsmanship that mattered, and no pill could enhance that.

"Count me out, I may drop by if I end up close to them. Other than that, I have no interest in the rewards so I won't get involved, things might change if a skilful person joins the assault though. But don't forget to be careful, those that can intrude on this world can't be weak, don't go getting yourself killed before we've gotten the chance to train some more."

This fractured space was overseen by a man who was at least on the level of a Province Emperor, those who could get past him would not be simple people. Yin Long warned him, but he also knew that Fang Yau was probably more sensible than him so he didn't see a need to drive home the point any further. His unwounded hand reached out and placed itself on Jin Wang's head, stroking his golden mane while Yin Long thought about his next move.

"Hmm... I'll probably seek out the Swordsouls. I have to wait for the fifth arena to open anyway so it seems like a good idea. They've got skills I want to learn, and they've got an item I want to pick up. No one's ever reached and opened the Grave of the Swordsoul, no? Can you imagine how much attention it'll draw if that thing is opened? How wary people will be of what was pulled out from within?"

The corners of Yin Long's lips couldn't help but curve up, something sinister mixing with excitement. It was the perfect way for him to achieve two goals at once, enhancing his swordsmanship while hammering in the nail called fear into the myriad of gazes that constantly observed him. He had already taken in the swordsmanship of one Swordsoul clan, as well as their key fragment, which had merged into his soul.

All that remained was the final five. The areas they resided in had been separated so that you could only reach them by progressing through the championship, surely that meant that they would be stronger, right? They would definitely have techniques that surpassed the Swordsoul Guardians, or at least that was what Yin Long hoped for.

"Suit yourself, just let me know if you learn anything juicy. I tried to visit the Swordsoul Guardians but they were on full alert so I couldn't even get close, something might be going on so take a bit of care when you head there, not sure about the others though."

Fang Yau shrugged his shoulder somewhat and returned Yin Long's earlier warning, it generally wasn't good news when a clan was on high alert, and it certainly wouldn't be fun to get trapped in their defensive arrays. But what Fang Yau failed to notice was that Yin Yu's mouth twitched slightly after he gave his warning, just barely stifling a laugh before she changed the topic.

"I've also got to stay here and see if I can't arrange a fight, but if worst comes to worst then I'll also get sent back to the start for a bit. If that happens then I'll probably just catch up with you again, you get into a lot of trouble so I'll be able to recuperate my points quickly. I won't be there to drag your unconscious body away this time so at least try to watch your own rear, especially if you go overboard again."

Her warning was a bit more jovial than Fang Yau's, but the emotions contained within were even deeper, earnest care and worry. To help him escape from the Swordsoul Guardians, she had burned the item that would help her escape Tao Tiankong's array, and that was just the weakest of the six clans. If things went awry now then there was no telling what would happen, then again, the same was true even if she was with him at the time. Yin Long flashed her a small, somewhat crooked grin as he ruffled Jin Wang's mane.

"Don't worry, I'm not planning on kicking the bucket just yet, I've still got a massive debt to you that I need to pay back after all, this bandage included."

He raised his bandaged arm slightly as he spoke, matching Yin Yu's jovial tone so that he could at least ease her worries somewhat. She had helped him a great deal ever since they entered this fractured space, she had spent far more medicine on him than she had on herself. She had also guarded and protected him multiple times, pulling him out of danger when he couldn't do it on his own. He had engraved all of it in his mind, gratitude would always be repaid with gratitude.

"Yeah, you'd best remember it. I'm still planning on wringing you dry so that you can repay me, even if we need to stick together for the rest of our lives to achieve that."

Yin Yu went along with Yin Long's attempt to ease her worries, but they had already spent the last few months together so it was inevitable that she would feel a touch lonely, especially with how deep Yin Long had managed to imprint his image into her. But if there was one thing she refused then it would be to be the thing that held him back, she'd rather slit her own throat than let her worries halt a single one of Yin Long's steps.

"Alright, I'm not one for words, I've already spent longer than ever before on this. I'll see you two again eventually, just follow the chaos and you'll find me. Let's hope I've picked up a few new things by the time we next meet, even if it ends up being just a few days. But oh, take these first, they'll help me stay in contact with you, and vice-versa."

Yin Long ended the conversation in a very simple and straightforward manner, detaching two of the droplets from his hairpin and tossing one to each of them. They could rely on the items provided by the competition to stay in contact, but this method was a bit safer, and it would last them beyond this competition.

Yin Yu already knew what the droplet was so she immediately placed it against her ear, attached a bit of metal and made a small hole in her earlobe, turning the accessory into a make-shift earring. Fang Yau also only needed a small explanation of what it was before he understood how to use it, but he placed it into a ring with an empty socket rather than on his ear.

"Alright. And with that, to our next meeting and exchange."

Yin Long spent no more time on words after he gave that short farewell, turning away and heading for the arena's exit, Jin Wang sticking close to his side. Fang Yau shook his head with a slight smile before turning away and heading for his private booth, only Yin Yu allowed her gaze to follow Yin Long's back as he left, disappearing from sight as he left the arena.

"And now it's just you and me again, feels like it's been quite a while, huh? Most of the time we've always had someone else that followed along, surprisingly rare for it to be just us."

Yin Long smiled somewhat faintly as he left the arena, stroking Jin Wang's soft fur. There was generally always a third person at their side, Yin Long kept Jin Wang in check and the third person kept Yin Long in check, whether it be Lan Yun or Xiao Yin Yu. But now, for what felt like the first time in years, he was on his own, not counting Jin Wang. And it was even during a time where he had engraved a new, and rather dangerous, determination into his chest, there was no telling what sort of things might happen.

"Oh, there's one right away, they at least made sure that things are convenient."

Yin Long's gaze had landed on a circle of stones located just a stone's throw away from the arena's entrance, it was just too out of place in this arid desert for it to be something natural. And indeed, the circle of stones wasn't natural, it was an intricate spatial array that the competitors could use to move around within this gargantuan stretch of fractured space.

"Alright, now then... just where are you hiding?"

Yin Long brought Jin Wang with him and stepped into the circle of stones, activating the array to form the three-dimensional map around him. He scanned through the map with a slow gaze, studying the dots that represented other spatial arrays. A great deal of new areas had opened to him now that he had completed more arenas, far more than he originally anticipated.

But even so, he didn't lose track of his target or goal, he scoured the map with single-minded determination. And in the end, he found the target he was looking for, the small dot marked with the name he was searching for.

"Swordsoul's Edge, there you are."

Guardian, Edge, Body, Handle, Tip, and Grave, those were the six sects that defended the Grave of the Swordsoul. But that was about all that was known about it, no one had ever opened the grave and gotten to see the Swordsoul after all. Was it a sword, a stray soul, an ancient powerhouse, a peerless treasure? No one knew, and in that uncertainty laid both fear and desire, and Yin Long was going to capitalize on that.

The array activated with a bit of help from Yin Long, space around the pair twisting and distorting. That oh-so-familiar sensation enveloped him as he vanished from the area and was flung through space. The hunt had officially begun, but no one knew exactly what sort of thing would end up being the final prey.

5