75. Who Are You?
160 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
"He just wants to hang out. Maybe eat somewhere after school. Nothing big really" Alex shrugged.
"And that's enough?" Logan chuckled with no humor, "If he said he'd do this Math homework for you, I'd understand why you'd want to give him a second chance."
At the mention of her assignment, Alex looked down at the notebook. The rest of the problems had already been solved. She took the notebook and inspected it closer.
She should redo it on her own later.
"Max? With my Math homework?" She questioned Logan, "And let my grade bear the burden?"
"Max is actually good in Math and Science, Alex" Logan pointed out, "He always has been—even I ask for his help before."
Alex put away her Math homework and grabbed her biscuits. She offered them to Logan who happily took a piece.
"But seriously" Logan continued to say, "If what happened at the party was any clue, I think you should not be around Max unless you have to."
"The thing is" Alex replied, swallowing the biscuit she chewed, "I already agreed to it. After this one time, I'll take your advice."
For a while, the only sound Logan made was his teeth breaking the biscuit into pieces. He thought about Alex's situation hard. He didn't want to upset her by doing something she didn't like. That didn't mean he wouldn't find a way to get back at Max.
As Alex's best friend, he had every right to warn him about his behavior around her.
"Fine" he told her reluctantly, "But if he tries something else, nothing you say could stop me."
The biscuit wrapper crinkled in Alex's hand. She squeezed it in the pocket of her bag. She planned to throw it away in the trash later.
Grabbing the water bottle, she said, "Fair enough."
===
Alex stretched her arms in relief. Never had the school bell rang sweeter than it did five minutes ago. She could go straight home and tuck herself into bed.
After she finished her school work, of course.
Luckily, the homework for today had been significantly less than yesterday's. That only meant she had more time for leisure, rest and sleep. She looked forward to it a lot.
She stood by her locker and bopped her head to the music in her ears. The day actually went better than she had expected. She didn't think it could be possible earlier.
Yet, it did happen.
She closed her locker and headed for the exit. She felt like changing the song her phone played. She called these moments her 'music cravings' which were the times she wanted a specific song to listen to.
Hitting the pause button, she looked up the song she wanted to hear.
Then, she heard a voice from behind her.
"Alex!" The voice said.
Alex stopped and her head snapped up. Goosebumps crawled over her skin. She cursed at herself for reacting. Now, she couldn't pretend that she didn't hear it.
"Hey!" Courtney giggled when she caught up to Alex, "Well, you look better."
"Thanks,"Alex smiled, only to be polite. She kept walking towards the light of freedom ahead.
Courtney bit her bottom lip and looked down. She hugged her books closer to her chest.
Despite noticing her demise, Alex quickened her steps. The sooner she left this place, the lesser chance Courtney talked. Alex could only pray that she didn't just get a stalker.
"Listen" Courtney said softly, "I'm having trouble with Math. I don't want to seem rude or anything but… would you mind tutoring me sometime?"
They stepped out onto the top of the school's front stairs. The sun melted off the goosebumps on Alex's skin. She breathed the afternoon air, the gate of school already in her line of sight. She only had a little  more to go before sweet, sweet liberty.
"I'm not good either" Alex replied, "You should probably ask Max."
He probably would be good at handling girls like you too, she thought, this might also be a good time for him to think that Lauren liked me. If he could have the guts to ask me to get laid just to prove my gender then, he could put a stop on Courtney.
"Max Peyton?" Courtney raised an eyebrow, "I'm familiar with him but I don't think I want to be around a guy who doesn't know the meaning of personal space."
"Well, that's a shame…" Alex replied. It truly was. The one good thing she could get out the trouble Max caused slipped off her fingers.
Courtney gave her a tight smile and remained silent. That didn't really look good.
"He's really the only one I know who could help" Alex shrugged, "Hope you could find a tutor soon. I need to head home."
She waved her hand hurriedly and headed down the steps, not looking back for a reply. Then, she felt a hand grip on her shoulder when she reached the bottom step.
"Wait, Alex" Courtney pleaded, "You're the only one I could trust."
It became Alex's turn to raise an eyebrow. She looked over her shoulder, "Don't you have any friends?"
"We're all bad at Math."
Alex wanted nothing more than to pull away but the hand on her shoulder held on too tight to do it unnoticed. In order to do so, she needed to turn around and face Courtney for a while.
And so she did.
"Well, maybe they know also have asked for help from others. I'm sure they could find someone to help you too" Alex coaxed politely.
"Don't you think I've tried? You're my only hope. If I don't get a B on the next test, I'd have to give up cheerleading."
"Why would you give it up?"
"That's what my parents said" Courtney wailed, "I love cheerleading. I don't want to give it up."
Alex softened her tone, "It sounds like something you need to talk to your parents about."
"But without that grade, I doubt they'd hear me out."
"They're your parents. I'm sure they care about you so they'd listen."
Courtney shook her head, "It's not that easy. Please, Alex, you're my only chance."
At this point, Alex didn't know what to believe anymore. Earlier, things sounded like a script. Now, Courtney looked near to tears. How insensitive would it be if Alex decided not to believe her?
But if it turned out to be true… then, Alex would be the bad guy.
She sighed, "Listen, Courtney, I—"
"Alex? What's holding you up?"
Alex's eyes widened. She knew that voice. She turned around to search for the caller. She found a girl in a navy blue plaid skirt and a white long-sleeved blouse. She left the top of her blouse unbuttoned. She also wore skin tone stockings and one-inch black heels.
Her light blonde hair and her fair skin glowed under the rays of the sun.
She smiled at Alex and walked up to her side.
Courtney hissed at her, "Who are you?"
The newcomer glanced at her and raised eyebrows, "Who wants to know?"
7