112. First Breakup
123 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Alexandra found herself in the back of a car with a coat over her nightdress. She couldn’t understand why they needed to leave at this time of night. Her mother only said that her father ran into a problem. He was alright but he needed them to be there for him.

They sat on one side while another officer sat across from them. He pulled out a record, a pen and a notebook, “We don’t mean any harm, Ms. Alexandra. We just want you to answer a few questions.”

The young miss snapped her head towards her mother. Was she in trouble?

“It’s alright, baby girl” Angeline patted her head, “Just answer honestly.”

Alexandra nodded her head and let the police officer do his interrogation.

An hour passed before she was set free. She and Angeline walked out. More people came into the station. Ethan talked to a group with a man by his side. Jeffrey sat, his back straight on a bench in the waiting area.

Angeline quickly led Alexanda to his side.

“Is Skye in trouble?” Her daughter asked. She had big pleading eyes on her face. It broke Angeline to see it.

“It’s going to be okay” her mother said, kneeling down to meet her eye level, “We’ll find a way to take care of it.”

The night went on and dread clouded Alexandra’s head. She had heard her father yell several times from another room. He spoke her name and Skye’s. He talked about the jewelry. She couldn’t understand why her friend would be taken to this place because of the gifts she’d given her.

Wasn’t it normal to give presents to a friend? Did it have to be only one? Did it have to be occasionally?

“I want to see Skye” she whispered to Jeffrey.

He butler sighed. He understood that the young miss must be worried about her friend. He stood up and offered her his hand.

Alexandra took it gratefully.

They walked deeper into the station. They entered a room that looked similar to the one she went to earlier. Only this time, it wasn’t her on a chair. Not only that but also the person had handcuffs on.

Jeffrey stood by and let the young miss inside. He closed the door with enough space so he could keep an eye on the two girls.

Alexandra stood across from Skye. Her body trembled at the state of her friend. She choked on air as she stared at the handcuffs.

“Skye, I promise I’ll make my father change his mind.”

“You betrayed me” Skye hissed, her black eyes glaring.

Alexandra shook her head. “I didn’t—”

“Then, why am I here if not because of you?!”

“I—”

Skye slammed her hands on the table, “You gave me those jewelry. Why am I being accused of stealing them? Is that what you told the police?”

The walls of the room seemed to close in. The space began to shrink. Black spots cluttered before Alexandra’s eyes. She didn’t mean for any of these to happen. Why did Skye act like she was a criminal?

“Is it because of what Bella said?” Skye continued when she didn’t say anything, “You believed her? All that talk about how I told you were a terrible person? If that was true, would I hang around with you?”

Something clicked inside Alexandra’s head. She came to this room in order to reassure her friend that she’d find a way to clear her name. But in front of her wasn’t her friend.... She found no trace of the Skye she knew. The situation finally sank in.

“She also said that you told them you’d keep me away so I wouldn’t hurt them. That I was a kind of a monster and you’re the only one who could keep me tame” Alexandra simmered with compressed anger, “That aside, you also stole my mother’s brooch. I had given you everything you’d ask which if you combine it’s value are worth more than that brooch. Yet, you snuck into my parents’ room and took it. Am I really the one who betrayed a friend? Have I done anything to hurt you? Have I stolen from you? Have I talked ill of you?”

Skye remained silent but her eyes intensified as she heard her words. An inexplicable amount of hatred brimmed under her skin. Unlike her, Alexandra had it easy. This one incident had caused Skye more than she’d ever know.

If she had anything to say, Alexandra wouldn’t be able to hear it anymore.

Her father and a lawyer walked in.

Both girls glanced at them.

Ethan escorted his daughter out of the room and into the car. He’d let their lawyer handle the rest. Jeffrey took the second car while the Greenwood family took the first one. All of them had been silent. Angeline occasionally peeked at Alexandra but her daughter’s face held no emotion. She merely stared up at the sky through the window.

“What was the verdict?” Angeline whispered. It may not be the appropriate time but she knew her daughter would also like to hear it.

Ethan sighed, “The girl is a minor so she’ll be released.”

“Is that all?”

“Of course not” he shook his head, stirring the wheel to the left, “They need to move out of town, away from us. I don’t quite like it but since Alex had given them willingly, we couldn’t press for a more severe consequence. But if anything else happens, I won’t stand for a compromise.”

Angeline nodded and checked on her daughter. Ethan also glanced at the rearview mirror. They both saw that she still had the same listless face. Angeline’s heart sank. She had no doubts that this incident just caused her daughter to be more closeted. She could only hope that someday Alex would be able to break out of her shell.

Alexandra couldn’t cry. She felt no tears pooling behind her eyes. Her heart also beat steadily. She seemed hollow, as if she wasn’t in the car at all—more than that, she didn’t think she was real. She couldn’t see the moon. If it weren’t for streetlights, she’d think that was in eternal darkness. Something similar to how she felt inside.

Whether it was a stranger or a friend, it looked like nothing good came from outside her house. Her happiness had turned out to be fake. Maybe she just meant to be alone. Someday she’d take over the family business and meet more people. She didn’t know how it would go.

But until then, she’d stay inside her room where her heart was safe.

===

Join the Official Discord Server
to chat with other readers:
https://discord.gg/5V89qkc

7