143. Library Moments and Memories
106 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I still don’t know which play to use,” Alex stated. She stared at her laptop screen. Feet on the chair across from her, she hunched over the table. She had taken her notebook and Logan’s. Then, she created a word file and typed out their ideas written on them.

She separated the sheet into 2 columns. One filled with hers and another filled with Logan’s. She grouped the ideas together into categories. After that, she placed the similar topics at the top. This way, it would be easier to analyze and choose.

The only problem happened to be the choice.

The library barely had any students after classes for the day ended. Only a few studious types hung around. The rest of the student body opted for lively places outside. The librarian stayed until they’d close at 6PM. By then, everyone should leave.

Lauren chuckled at the chair next to Alex’s feet. She brought her own laptop and searched for visuals to use on their report, “I told you to do Twelfth Night. I bet Ms. Smith would give extra points for it.”

The typing sound from Alex’s laptop ceased. Now that Lauren mentioned it, Ms. Smith would be the type to appreciate that kind of humor. She clenched her hand into a fist, pressing it against her lips. Her eyes darted around the room as her mind raced.

“It’s a good idea, isn’t it?” The cheerleader commented, noticing Alex’s immediate reaction.

She saved a few photos and typed in their sources. Some of them came from articles. Lauren bookmarked the sites to check out further later. She could use them when she’d make the outline. Based on her observations, she’d probably do most of the report while Max would do most of the talking.

Somehow she felt grateful at how much of a loud mouth he was.

“And you can crossdress too while presenting your report.”

Alex glared at Lauren. The cheerleader continued to look at her laptop, oblivious to the death stare. She lifted her head up only when the silence lingered. Lauren merely smiled back, “It’s not fair that I am the only one who hasn’t seen it.”

“So that’s your hidden motive” Alex huffed. She dropped her fist and began typing again. , “I’m sure Emily has some photos.”

Lauren rolled her eyes, “Photos and real life are two different things.”

“We only have senior year left after this” Alex snickered, “You can see it after we graduate.”

“That’s still almost 2 years from now!”

“Ah, geez, Lauren. Don’t you know that you should be quiet in the library?” Colin teased. He approached their table and placed a brown paper bag on it. He opened the top, taking out some snacks, “I figured you might get hungry so I brought you something to eat.”

Soft bite foods filled the table. Bread, soft baked cookies, chocolate… a few nuts had been thrown. Several bottles of water and juice had also been included. It didn’t take long for the table to become packed.

Alex raised her eyebrows, “Wow, I think Lauren will gain weight in no time.”

Colin folded the now empty paper bag, protesting, “Oh, no, Alex. It would be weird if only Lauren ate. Have some too.”

“Don’t mind if I do,” Alex replied. She assessed the snacks. A few flavored breads caught her eye. She picked out the chocolate croissant. Although it was mass produced in a factory, she didn’t mind it much.

Chocolate was chocolate.

Later, maybe she could have some cookies.

She opened the wrapper, saying, “Thanks, Colin. You’re a great guy. I’d rather be buddies with you than Logan.”

“Don’t let him hear that.”

“Yeah… um…” Alex bit into the croissant and shook her head, “I don’t really mind if he did.”

“Well, I do” Colin explained, “He whines a lot and it’s not always pleasant.”

Alex raised her bread in his honor, “You’re a hero to all of us.”

Lauren gave Colin a look. She placed her hands on her hips. It wasn’t like she didn’t appreciate his thoughts but the food seemed too much. She could probably make a mountain out of them. Her forehead deepened to a scowl, “Don’t you think this is a little overboard?”

“Have you seen Max and Logan eat?”

The cheerleader thought of it for a moment. Then, she pouted, relaxing her pose, “Point taken.”

Colin placed the empty paper bag on the table. He would have thrown it out already but they might use it for the trash. He leaned over the table and kissed Lauren’s temple, “Anyway, I’ll be heading home. I need to check on Jiyen. Make sure to message me when you guys are done.”

“What breed is Jiyen?” Lauren’s ears perked up. She had almost forgotten about his dog. Could she ask about visiting soon? She really wanted to meet Jiyen.

“She’s a Golden Retriever puppy” Colin smiled tenderly, “I found her in my backyard. She was sleeping on a swing. She had no collar. I informed various authorities but no one came to claim her. Instead of the pound, I took her in. It’s nice to have some company in my house.”

Lauren remembered their conversation after the party. If her memories served her right, Colin lived alone. The house seemed spacious from her last visit. The empty wide space must feel lonely. Her heart became heavy.

Her house didn’t have the most lively people either but, at least, she wasn’t alone. What if something happened? And no one happened to be around? What then? When would someone find Colin?

Colin flicked her forehead, “What are you thinking so deeply about? Keep it up and you’ll gain early wrinkles.”

Lauren swatted his hand away. The pout on her face enhanced, “Go, go, go! Don’t let Jiyen wait any longer. She must be lonely. Maybe you should get a second pet.”

“Like what?”

“A chicken?”

Colin raised an eyebrow, “A chicken?”

“What?” Lauren blinked innocently, “It was the first thing that came to my mind.”

Colin shook his head and placed a pack of cookies on her hand. Cupping it in between his, he said, “I think you’re just hungry. Go and eat.”

He let her hand go and spun on his heel. He waved goodbye over his shoulder, “Don’t forget to message me when it’s time to go home. See ya around, Alex.”

Alex snapped out of her daze. If Colin hadn’t called her, she wouldn’t have known that she stared off into space. She bid Colin goodbye and went back to her screen. Her fingers drummed on the keyboard, lightly touching the surface. The words in front of her hardly made sense.

She tried to remember what she had been doing.

“Alex, you okay?” Lauren tilted her head. She couldn’t see Alex’s laptop screen. Alex seemed shocked at something. she wondered if something popped up.

“Yeah, I just…” Alex trailed off. She calculated her words, hoping they sound acceptable, “I was just surprised when Colin kissed your temple.”

It did happen to be true. It was also the basic part of her reason. She hadn’t been around people in relationships other than her family. Since she attended a school far away from her hometown, she wondered if Emily had ever gone on dates. Her cousin had never spoken about it but Alex felt sure that she’d been asked out, at least.

A kiss on the temple… Alex felt her cheeks burn.

“It does feel a little weird since we became public to you guys” Lauren spoke up. Her own face blushed when Alex mentioned it. It must have looked weird.

“Does he do that a lot?”

The cheerleader pressed her lips together, “He does. He found this article that said a forehead/temple kiss is the most meaningful and affectionate gesture. No matter what age. He decided to do it more often than others. Ugh, that sounds cheesy, right?”

If Alex cheeks burned before, now they became an inferno.

“Did I go overboard?” Lauren eyed her suspiciously. The kiss sounded like that but the way it looked was still less awkward than a kiss on the lips—did Logan actually make a move that they didn’t know about?

Alex’s eyes landed on a bookshelf. Something about the books in it and the way they had been arranged seemed familiar. She looked around her, the pieces of the puzzle coming together. A vague memory surfaced until they completed a photo.

“Is this the same spot as when we found that folder?” She said suddenly.

The cheerleader followed her movements, “Huh… is it?”

“Maybe it’s just me and my weirdness.”

Lauren cupped her cheek, “I never thought that day would change my life. I know what happened was bad but at the same time, I feel grateful to have seen it. Otherwise, I wouldn’t have gained two more friends.”

Warmth spread around Alex’s heart. She couldn’t imagine how her school life would have been if Lauren hadn’t been around. From that time to the party to the mess in the laundry room… this girl had been there. Laure also took notes for her when she was sick.

She really needed to think of a way to show her gratitude.

“Yeah, me too” Alex breathed out. The girls exchanged a smile. The moment seemed picture perfect. Something they’d capture in their hearts forever.

“Maybe we should also thank whichever force gave you the idea to check those portfolios” Alex joked, “It could have been given to anyone else but, at least, turned out to be you.”

Lauren chuckled, gazing down, “Yeah, I—”

Her head snapped up. Her eyes widened as she stared at nothing. Her lips parted, creating an ‘O’ shape. As if she had been hit with something, Lauren’s whirled her attention towards Alex. She had an alarmed and surprised expression on her face.

Alex froze and watched her quietly. Her muscles tensed. Did Lauren remember something?

The cheerleader spoke hurriedly, “Alex, can I borrow your phone?”

If you haven't yet, please join the Official Discord Server to chat with other readers!
(Maybe even receive some spoilers)! Would love to you have around!
https://discord.gg/5V89qkc

 

6