154. Time With You
84 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“So… classmate from middle school?”

Alex scooped a portion of the chocolate mousse. She waited for Logan to open about Skye’s presence. The girl did introduce herself as someone affiliated with him and not her. For the most part of her stay, Alex resorted to observe more than act.

Logan’s attitude had been quite a surprise.

She became curious as to what ran in his mind.

“Can we not talk about her right now?” The mousse in his mouth melted. The cake base and crumbs added texture and taste. He might even take one home for his mom.

“You don’t like her or something?” The words flew out of her mouth before Alex realized them. The curiosity did eat her mind. He hardly paid attention to Skye but she was once his precious person.

Unlike him, her reason for acting the way she did was to make Skye leave—lessen the contact she’d have with Logan, lessen the damage.

“It’s not that I don’t like her,” Logan explained, a furrow in his eyebrows. He took another bite of the mousse, “It’s just that I really wanted to spend this time with you. I could care less about everything else.”

It could have been anyone and he’d done the same thing. He knew his priorities. Maybe if it was his close friends, he’d be more blunt than he was. No one and nothing could rain on his parade. It was already rare for him to be in this good of a mood.

So whatever they were, they could wait.

“What’s so special about today?” Alex bit her inner cheek. Logan’s words sounded a bit out of place. Not only that but also it would probably take time before they could talk about Skye. Hopefully, it would happen soon.

As long as Alex had anything to say about it, that girl can’t be anywhere Logan.

“There should be a reason?” Logan snorted, “More than our project? My cancelled practice? Hanging outside of our houses?”

Alex raised a skeptical eyebrow. None of that sounded convincing anymore. There must be a reason why Skye showed up today than any other.

Logan rolled his eyes. Then, he sighed. Scratching the back of his head, he sneaked a glance at her, “Do you mind if we take a walk later on?”

“Depends on where we’re going” Alex leaned towards him. Her suspicious eyes scanned his face. They searched for clues.

Logan gulped. He had wondered if he should open it up or not. Maybe he should thank Skye for her intrusion. Not only did he and Alex end up on the same bench but also she made it easier for him to proceed with his plans.

“Trust me on this?” He smiled sheepishly and raised his hands in surrender, “It’s not somewhere bad, I swear.”

===

“Are you… planning to bury my body?”

Alex watched as the town disappeared through the car window. The twilight sky kept most of the area from complete darkness. The lights also slowly dimmed into a faint glow. Most of the establishments around here had already closed. Trees also increased in number.

She couldn’t tell where they were anymore.

Logan shook his head, his eyes ahead of him, “Should I be worried about your image of me?”

Alex pressed the side of her head on the window. She peeked above and searched for the moon. It should be visible by now, “I don’t think that has any hope.”

He pressed his lips together. His chelt began to feel tight. Was it too much to ask for a compliment? Or a few nice words? He doesn’t even have a good reputation in her eyes. How long would this path take?

Logan parked his car on a curb. There weren’t many vehicles in sight. Most of the area had more nature than buildings. The road ran further in the distance. Silence stretched for miles.

Alex turned around when she stepped out of the car. Their part of the street was dense with tall trees and a few establishments. The opposite side looked like a wide clearing. Green grass filed every inch that hadn’t been cemented. The trees had an average height, distanced from one another.

A short gray marble wall surrounded the field. It had an iron gate to the iron. The black spikes rose high. A small guard’s house stood beside it. The man inside stepped out when he saw their car.

Arms folded over his chest, his bushy face shifted in Logan’s direction, “I wondered if you’d show up today or tomorrow.”

Logan met Alex near the trunk of the car. Together, they walked towards the gate. The smile on his face radiated genuinely. He lifted a bent arm, ready to greet the old man.

Their hands clasped together and their shoulders bumped with each other. The old man had tan skin and more white hairs than black. His mustache and beard covered half of his face. The buzz cut he had made the strands seem as long as his facial hair. Combining them, it could look like a fuzzy helmet.

The old man’s turquoise eyes flickered to Alex, “And who is this young lady?”

Her eyes widened in surprise.

Logan, on the other hand, stepped back and wrapped an arm around her shoulder, “Alfred, This is Alex. No one should know she’s a girl though. It could get us in lots of trouble.”

Alfred winked knowingly at them, “I don’t know what you mean. I’d never seen a girl around here. Alex is clearly a boy.”

Logan chuckled, “Thanks, man.”

Not letting go of Alex, he raised a fist. Alfred bumped it with his own and bid them farewell. The pair walked further down the trail. The cloudy sky added a murky ambiance. Blocks of stones stood in rows. Anyone could see where the trails end and where they connected.

“I’m sorry if I didn’t lie to Alfred about you” Logan said after a while, “I’ve known him since I was small. He had kept many secrets for me. He is one of the people I absolutely trust.”

Alex bit her bottom lip. She had felt weird about that. But the old man… the way he looked at her, she knew that he’d see through her no matter what. The way he complied to Logan’s request went smooth as butter. Even if she wanted to be mad or to protest, she couldn’t bring herself to do so.

“Don’t worry about it,” she replied. Her mind had something else to think about.

After all, visiting the cemetery wasn’t something she thought she’d do in Woodlands.

Alex kept her mouth closed. It didn’t take long for her to figure out Logan’s purpose here. Unless there was someone else, she was positive that he came for his mother. She peeked at him from the corner of her eye. His face remained calm and relaxed.

It didn’t take long for Logan to lead her onto a patch of grass. They passed several cobblestones. Alex kept her hands in her hoodie pockets. Logan’s arm on her shoulder never wavered. Soon, they stopped.

Here lies: Olive Parker

A woman who lived her life as an inspiration to many, especially the future generation. Her loving memory will forever be embedded in her family and friends’ heart.

Died XX-XX-20XX

Logan finally let Alex go. He knelt before the tombstone. The dark gray marble gleamed as if regularly polished. A bouquet of flowers laid on the ground. A lone olive branch stood on a small glass vase beside it.

He placed a hand on top of the stone. Then, with his free one, he waved.

“Hello, mother. Missed me?” Logan chuckled. His gaze soft, the smile he wore turned gentle, “I see dad, mom and Jae had visited you already. Are you sulking because I’m late? I told you that it gives you wrinkles. You should always spend your time with joy.”

Alex stayed in her place. The soothing tone he used touched her. She could tell how much he loves his mother. She looked at the engraving. Such beautiful words… one could only think what a wonderful woman Olive Parker must have been.

She would have loved to have met her.

“I brought someone with me today,” Logan looked over his shoulder. He gestured Alex to come join him.

Alex approached the tombstone. She took a crouching position next to Logan. Mimicking him, she smiled at his mother’s grave, “Lovely to meet you, Aunt Olive. If I had known it beforehand, I wouldn’t have let Logan eat all the chocolate mousse.”

“Hey!” He glared playfully at her, “You had your fair share.”

“That’s not the point” Alex rolled her eyes, “Why didn’t you save some for your mother?”

“I enjoyed it on her behalf.”

Alex leaned an ear near the tombstone. Then, she shook her head, “Nah, she said that she wanted me to enjoy it on her behalf. See? You would have known that if you didn’t finish all of it.”

Logan scoffed, “Please don’t use my mother so you could get more food.”

“What?” Alex blinked innocently, “I have pure intentions.”

“Pure intentions, my ass.”

“Aunt Olive, Logan just cursed!”

Logan sat on the grass. He let go of the stone and wiped a hand on his face, “Why are you making me look bad in front of my mother?”

Alex laughed heartily. She joined him on the ground, nudging her side against his arm.

“Aw, come on. I am 50% kidding.”

She received another glare. It made her laugh more. She raised her hands in surrender and turned back to the grave, “Alright, alright. Sorry about that, Aunt Olive. I have grown fond of teasing your son. I hope you don’t mind it much. He has been a wonderful and understanding companion. You must be so proud of him. He doesn’t always talk about you but I know he keeps you in his heart wherever he goes. Thank you for raising and looking after him. I’m grateful to have him in my life.”

A breeze flew in. The leaves and grass ruffled against it. The duo’s hairs weren’t spared. They ended up in weird angles. The twilight was near its end.

“Thank you for coming with me” Logan whispered, looking at the person beside him, “I know I sort of you kidnapped you into doing it but I’m happy either way.

He brushed the fringes off Alex’s temple. Kissing the skin underneath, he wrapped an arm around her, “I’m also grateful to have you in my life.”

If you haven't yet, please join the Official Discord Server to chat with other readers!
(Maybe even receive some spoilers)! Would love to you have around!
https://discord.gg/5V89qkc

5