153. A Bite of Lasagne
83 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Skye folded her arms, resting her elbows on the table. She leaned forward. Her eyes took Alex in. It was her first time to see it close up. She wondered how no one could figure out that the guy she pretended to be was fake.

“You’re quite skinny for a guy.”

“Oh, don’t underestimate him” Logan suddenly said, “Alex has killer skills in volleyball. Dude should be the captain. I have never been more proud to call a guy, my best friend.”

Skye snorted through her nose, “What about Colin?”

“He is the guy I’m proud to call my best friend that is part of the student council.”

“I’m also in the student council,” Alex informed him. She took her glass and tried to take the tube ice with her straw. She didn’t want to finish the drink before the food came. That didn’t mean she couldn’t eat the ice though.

Logan frowned at her, “I’d never seen you do any activity there.”

“That’s because I don’t. Colin only tells me when they’re short on hand. You’d be surprised at the amount of students that volunteer to help.”

“And here I thought you’re supposed to be the most responsible student at school?”

“Says who? I’m not giving up on my hobbies.”

“I seem to be intruding around here” Skye chuckled, “I think I should get out of your hair.”

Alex placed her drink on the table. She shook her head, bangs swaying over her forehead. Instead of brushing them off, she tilted her head for her eyes to see. The gesture gave her an aura of ‘male’ charm. Emily and Lauren had expressed their feelings about it.

“No, why don’t you stay?” She used a low tone of voice, “I’m sure you haven’t seen each other for so long. This must be a rare occurrence. Why not make the best of it? And I’d like to know more about you.”

That was what she wanted to hear, wasn’t it? Alex thought. Although, she might have wanted it from Logan instead of her. She could hear that guilt trip tone from a mile away.

Skye scoffed, utterly surprised, “Wow, Logan. I didn’t know you had such a charismatic friend.”

“Yeah, he does have that effect” Logan nodded. The images from the English presentation appeared in his mind. If anyone needed proof about Alex’s boyish charm, they only needed to see how she portrayed Romeo.

Maybe he could persuade her to join a school play as the male lead.

“Can’t let a girl leave on an empty stomach” Alex shrugged, “We ordered a large pizza. Help yourself with it.”

She remained skeptical about Skye’s purpose. So far, various words had her wonder if she had been here for Alex or for Logan. Most of what she brought up was about Logan. The only one connected to her was the skinny comment. It wasn’t an uncommon one either.

Sister Aina returned with the pizza. She set a stand in the middle of the table. Then, she placed the tray of pizza on it along with a small spatula. She also served the plate of lasagne, the portion bigger than the regular size.

“We’re having a promo this week about the new items” she said, “This lasagne is good for two people now. I hope you enjoy it. Do you want the dessert now or later?”

“Later” Logan answered. Then, he turned towards Skye, “Do you want anything?”

She shook her head and stood up, “I’d love to join you but I have a home cooked meal to look forward to. You know how rare it is for family to eat together. Catch up some other time?”

Logan waved his hand once, “Yeah, sure. Another time.”

He prayed he won’t regret those words later on.

Skye gazed at Alex, “It really was nice meeting you. I’m happy Logan found a trustworthy friend.”

“Have a safe trip home” Alex quickly attacked the pasta dish. She already offered for Skye to stay once. She was not about to do it again.

Besides, the smell of the lasagne wafted in the air and called her name. She made a clean slice, stabbing it with her fork. She blew on it a bit before she took a bite.

It tasted divine. The red and white sauce mixed in her mouth. The blend of flavor exploded. The more she chewed, the more she craved. She knew that she made a good decision.

Logan grabbed the fork on his right. He reached for a bite of the lasagne.

Alex slid the dish away from him, glaring with accusing eyes, “What are you doing?”

“What?” He gasped, “It’s a portion for two!”

“So?”

“So I have a share.”

“I thought I said this is my lasagne and not yours?”

“Aw, come on. At least, let me have a taste!”

“Fine!” Alex huffed. She placed the lasagne closer to him. She guarded his every movement with precision, “Just one bite.”

Logan squealed silently and sliced the paste before it could be taken away again. It cut cleanly and evenly. The sauce oozed out of the sides. The cheese in the white sauce still bubbled a bit. He wondered what the taste would be like if he ate it with the pizza.

He lifted the slice slowly, afraid the sauce would spill.

Then, Alex grabbed his hand and redirected the fork to her mouth.

She cleaned it in one bite.

“Hey! That was mine!” Logan accused.

Alex tried not to laugh too much with her mouth full. The food could clog in her throat. She pulled the plate away again when Logan tried to stab his fork. She raised a hand, asking him to stop for a while. She needed to focus on her chewing.

“You were so slow. I got hungry!” Alex defended in between chuckles.

Logan pouted. His invisible puppy ears dropped along with his eyes and lips.

The smile on Alex’s lips turned down, “Don’t look at me like that.”

“If you don’t give me a lasagne, I’ll bite you.”

“Fine. Here” she rolled her eyes and cut a slice. Then, she raised the fork in his direction. Her hand hovered in between them. Logan grabbed her wrist. He pulled it towards him and bit on the fork.

The lasagne tasted much better than he thought it would.

===

Outside of the Stitz Diner, Skye scowled at the street.

Her good mood had vanished. She merely came out to test the waters, see what she was dealing with. She didn’t know the two would end up ignoring her. The tension she caused disappeared once that happened. They acted like she didn’t exist.

Then, when she made her presence known, showing she’s a bit left out, they didn’t even care to notice.

She blew on her fringes.

Feet marching towards the Vervelde Household, she dialed a number.

“What do you want this time?”

“Are you sure Logan doesn’t know Alex is a girl?”

“Yeah, I’m positive. The only people who saw that folder were Alex, Lauren and Jae. She is such an aloof guy that Logan tries his best to get close to him. He just hangs around her because he sees her as a challenge” Carla lied through her teeth. She didn’t actually know how much of this as true. Should she be worried at how smoothly she said them?

Skye clicked her tongue, “They seem pretty cozy to me at the diner.”

Carla’s hand stopped flipping through the magazine. She blinked several times. She sat on her bed, enjoying her alone time while the cat roamed around. She didn’t even bother to ask where her step-cousin would go and she hardly cared. Hair up in a bun, she waited for the mud mask on her face to dry.

Did she just hear that the cat appeared in the open?

What was she playing at?

Hiding in plain sight?

“Are you sure?” Carla asked skeptically, “Logan has seen Alex flirt with girls in their class. I heard a number of them crush on her, not just Lauren. Jae also mentioned that they argue most of the time. Didn’t it seem more like that?”

Skye thought for a moment. None of the arguments she heard were really ‘arguments’. She didn’t feel any bad blood, “I heard him praise her athletic skills.”

Carla rolled her eyes. Couldn’t friends compliment each other? “She did make quite a scene in PE. It made her famous.”

“Hmm” Skye hummed, “I’ll have to wait and see, I guess. Something felt a bit off.”

‘Maybe you’re just jealous’ Carla snorted in her head. She had seen girls make the wrong assumptions just because of that emotion. A lot of relationships couldn’t be mended anymore because of it.

It also didn’t help that her step-cousin was attention hungry. Sometimes, simple things make her feel ignored. Hearing that her plan failed a bit pleased Carla. Things might just go on smoothly.

“Anyway, I couldn’t overstay my welcome. At least, I know I made Alex panic somehow. As someone from her past, I might be able to see through her disguise. I was tempted to do it too but thought better of it. I’ll wait for her to make a move. Then, maybe I can strike better.”

“You sure she won’t suspect you?” Carla tried to raise an eyebrow. The mask had solidified around that area. Her lips also wouldn’t be able to move soon.

“What evidence would she even have?” Skye smirked, “As far as things look, she’s not Alexandra Greenwood right now. She is Alex Carter. That person and Skye have no relation. Why would I get in trouble with someone I don’t know?”

Carla opened and closed her mouth. Was her step-cousin forgetting something? Oh, wait. She didn’t tell Skye about her hint to Alex. If it were her, she’d be more worried to be traced to the folder more than anything.

The words she heard were also easy to debunk—if someone had the right sources. Her step-cousin relied heavily on Alex’s desire for independence and her fear of being taken home. The schemes might have worked before but Alex had changed. That morning at the Principal’s Office showed her that.

“You’re right,” she nodded. She used an encouraging voice, rolling her eyes. The urge to use sarcasm was tempting, “You’re totally on the right path. You know the two of them best so you have this in the bag.”

“Of course, I do, sweetie” Skye giggled.

On the inside, Carla wanted to barf.

If you haven't yet, please join the Official Discord Server to chat with other readers!
(Maybe even receive some spoilers)! Would love to you have around!
https://discord.gg/5V89qkc

5