168. Why We Broke Up
91 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Logan wondered how much Alex knew about the breakup. Did she hear what happened? Did she pity him for it? It wasn’t a smooth breakup. Most people would have something to say when they first heard it—which was why most people didn’t know about it.

Alex frowned, “Because you saw her with Jae in a compromising position?”

Logan flicked her forehead, “That’s one reason.”

“Hey!” She pouted at him, rubbing the sore spot, “Fine, then. What are the other reasons?”

She was tempted to do an eye roll. If he wanted to tell her about it, he should just tell her. Did he have to make a fool out of her? As far as she knew, catching a person’s significant other in such a situation was a valid reason to breakup.

“The other is because I didn’t want a person to come between me and Jae. We made a promise to mom” Logan recalled the days he spent in his room, wondering how things turned out the way they did. After a while, he realized that nothing could be done anymore. The things left to do were to move forward.

That was exactly how he handled it.

“It didn’t matter who came to who” he explained, “The point was someone might have feelings for the other. I didn’t want to get entangled in that. If it was Jae, I’d feel bad for going out with her when he probably liked her longer. If it was Skye, well, I didn’t want to tie her down.”

Alex blinked, leaning her back on his chest. Her head tilted to the left. She could feel his shoulder under the base of her skull. The movement also opened the crook of her neck and shoulder. Logan rested the side of his on her right cheek.

It wasn’t much but she hoped it was enough for comfort. Even when it had been him who was hurt the most, he thought of others first. Hearing it now, she was glad they broke up. Skye didn’t deserve someone like Logan.

He deserved someone better.

“Of course, the aftermath wasn’t easy” Logan continued with a sigh. His voice dropped to a low whisper, “It still hurt like a truck hit my chest and there’s still a lot of questions left unanswered. I’m also still unsure but it’s a work in progress—especially when you came around.”

Alex completely hung her head on his shoulder. Then, she shifted her eyes towards his face. Logan lifted his head, his gaze meeting hers. Their proximity was so close that their vision of each other became blurry. Logan had to lean back a bit for them to see clearly.

“Excuse me?” Alex questioned in disbelief. How did she become a part of this equation?

“It’s hard to explain, Alex” he chuckled, “But I’m sure my mother is really grateful about your presence in our lives.”

“Okay?” She replied, still confused.

Logan kissed her right temple and mumbled, “Have I told you how cute you are?”

“When will the two of you stop flirting so I can get in my room?” Jae lamented. He stood halfway up the stairs. When the voices faded, he thought their talk had stopped. He climbed up a bit, only to come face to face with dog food.

Alex straightened up but Logan pulled her back. He kept her in place around his arms.

“It’s not flirting” his brother scoffed playfully, “It’s ‘casual statements’.”

Jae made a face and looked at the girl in Logan’s arms, “I am guessing it was Alex who said that?”

“Hey!”

“That is correct” Logan nodded, “What the lady said goes.”

Jae continued to climb up the stairs. Since he already made it halfway, he might as well escape to his room. Who knew when the pair would stop cuddling? He thought Logan and Skye were bad. He didn’t expect there could be worse.

“Well, I won’t disturb the two of you longer” Jae said, turning the knob of his bedroom door, “Just know that the walls aren’t soundproof around here.”

He gave them a wink before he disappeared from sight.

Alex buried her face in her hands. She was sure that the blush in her ears had moved to her cheeks—maybe even her neck and her forehead. She forgot that Jae had been around. What about the servants? Did this mansion have them too? Did any of them spot her and Logan in this position?

Logan snickered in her ear, “Are you embarrassed?”

She pulled her hands away to glare at him, “You—You cheeky bastard! If you weren’t so sad awhile ago, I wouldn’t even let you do this! Now, you’re making fun of me?”

“Okay, okay” he laughed, “I do know that you haven’t killed me out of sympathy. I am just using this opportunity the best that I can without crossing a line.”

“And what line is that?” Alex cocked an eyebrow.

“Uh…” Logan’s eyes flickered to her pink lips. He gulped. It was a reflex reaction. It lasted only half a second. She wouldn’t be able to notice it.

“A thin one.”

===

Alex went home after she made sure Logan was fine. It didn’t take long. He was already able to joke and use sarcasm. Once that was obvious, she used force and pushed her back on his chest, jabbing both sides of his torso. He lost his balance and his legs dropped to the floor.

She still smirked at the memory.

After closing the front door, she found Aunt Lilly in the dining area, occupying the head seat. Her dark brown hair had been pulled up into a bun. Gray eyes glaring at the laptop screen, her fingers typed furiously on the laptop keyboard.

Alex headed for her aunt’s direction, saying, “Aunt L—”

A chair’s legs scraped on the floor and another person sat down to occupy it. He placed his laptop on the table, smiling at Alex, “Oh, welcome back.”

Alex turned her attention towards him. Her eyebrows shot up, “And Atty. Peyton.”

“Please call me, James,” he corrected her. His suit was in great shape. The blazer hung on the backrest, leaving him in a white dress shirt. He left the top button open. The fabric for it was thinner but it wasn’t in any less condition. Wrinkles were still unable to be found—as well as his tie.

“Uncle James” Alex couldn’t help but test. Her gaze darted between the two lawyers, “Any development?”

“We’re still digging,” Lilly answered for the both of them, “We looked into the Vervelde Family and their living conditions aren’t doing well. They’d made several requests for assistance from the Conary Family.”

“The Conary Family?” Alex asked, frowning, “Neal’s family?”

Her aunt looked up from the screen, a teasing smile on her face, “I’m surprised you even remember him.”

Her niece merely rolled her eyes.

“Anyway,” Lilly continued, “No, it’s not his family but his grandfather’s who is also Carla’s grandfather.”

“You mean Carla is a Conary?” To say Alex was shocked by the news would be an understatement.

What did Colin say about Skye’s reason to be in Woodlands? Visiting relatives? Her stepfather’s relatives? If her memory was correct, that man would be Neal’s father, Nicolas Conary. A person she hadn’t seen for a long time. In most gatherings, he was absent since he inherited the main company of their family business.

But could it be…?

“Does the town have another family related to the Conarys’ besides Carla’s?” The words suddenly flew out of Alex’s mouth. Skye’s last words earlier rang in her mind. She remembered something that seemed off about it.

Lilly scowled. Her niece had a finger under her bottom lip while her eyes looked up at the ceiling. She pointed a pen at Alex, watching her expression carefully, “No, there’s not. You know something. Mind sharing it with us?”

“I’m not sure yet” Alex confessed, “I don’t have the evidence… but I will get to the bottom of it. You can keep digging so we can connect them.”

“Why not tell us about it?” James cut in, worry lines appearing on his face, “You haven’t even turned 17 yet. It won’t be good if this gets you into trouble.”

“It’s not like being 18 wouldn’t get me into trouble,” she replied with a sigh, “Well, Emily told me that Neal’s father remarried.”

That piece of information alone was enough for a hint. It would only take a quick look at the marriage records to find his new wife. From there, her aunt would be able to piece the puzzle together… and Alex did not look forward to it.

“He did” James nodded in confirmation. He returned to his work, moving the mouse, “To a Serah Winter.”

“Why does that name ring a bell…?” Lilly muttered, biting the tip of the pen. Then, she slammed her hand on the table, her eyes widening in alarm, “Isn’t that Skye’s mother? The same person who exploited jewels from you? Are they messing with your life again?”

Alex pressed her lips together.

Her aunt groaned, “What do they want this time?”

The truth was… Alex didn’t know. Skye seemed to have mixed motives. Both times Alex had seen her in town, she went to see Logan. If that indicated anything, it would be that she targeted him? And her? Probably someone she saw as a hindrance.

“Like I said, I don’t have the evidence” Alex repeated. She placed a hand behind her waist, “I have a guess of what could it be and the only way I can find out is if I talk to her.”

“Talk to who? Skye?” Lilly demanded, “You’re not even supposed to be near her. Let us handle it.”

“I think Emily’s right. This might be smaller than we think. If I let you take action, it might not work in our favor. Besides, there’s something I want from her” Alex explained, “It’s a personal matter between teenagers. If it doesn’t work, I'll tell you. Other than that, please let us try.”

So far, she could only connect it to Logan. Skye must have found that Carla went to Woodlands and asked about Logan. Why? Alex wasn’t sure. How Skye knew of her situation still seemed blurry. She could only guess that Skye might have found out about the incident in the restaurant and the Cinderella Search.

Then, she decided to mess with it?

But for what?

“Give them a chance” James backed up, “If it can be resolved without the court, we need to let them. I already tried to check into Serah Winter. Since she married Nicolas, I don’t see a reason why they’d want to mess with the Greenwoods. It would only strain the relationship your family has with the Conary… so it can only be a petty matter among children.”

If you haven't yet, please join the Official Discord Server to chat with other readers!
(Maybe even receive some spoilers)! Would love to you have around!
https://discord.gg/5V89qkc

6