102. Don’t Notice Me, Not-Senpai
169 4 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There was one good thing that could come out of this moment in my life: with all these grass hedges surrounding me, I would never forget that grass-looking squiggly μ stood for Glitcherman. 

That was it. That was the only silver lining in this situation. And they were getting closer to this dead end within, apparently, an Academy hedge maze.

Miss Bina, thank you for your help, but you didn't specify which hedge with which statue. There were just too many! So I went with the first hedge with a statue, and now I'm stuck here and there are people coming my way and unfortunately it's Glitcherman of all people and I just overheard them say he's going to date whoever he sees next and I am in very, very, very, big danger of being that very next person!!!!!!!

I should have known that this wasn't the path when this path kept making turns left and right, but I'd thought I could just follow it back out if that wasn't the case as there weren't any other entryways or exits in this particular path. I hadn't been sure if Miss Bina had meant 'straight' literally or as a way to say 'keeping following the path you reach'-- and now I was paying for the price.

Oh, Queen Suzin help me-- I didn't want to go on a date with Glitcherman! And I also didn't want him to follow me around until I said yes!!!

No no, Filian! This wasn't the time to despair. I looked around, trying to find a way out. These hedges were too tall for me to launch myself over, too thick to shove my way through, and too dense for me to burrow in to hide temporarily. What now? Maybe I could dig my way through?!?

I experimentally scuffed my foot against the ground and promptly gave up on the idea. Yeah, that wasn't going to work either. And those branches at the bottom looked tough.

What had Rosa said about Glitcherman before? She'd said that he was athletic on a prodigy level, narcissistic, can't read the room at all, and chases anything in a skirt. I looked down at my blue dress, which was one of the cleanest and newest clothes I had. Maybe I should just fashion them into pants and pretend I'm a boy...?

Oh no. I was reaching Rosa levels of thinking! This wasn't good.

Think, Filian, think. Maybe Rosa was wrong. Maybe Rosa was exaggerating, as she tended to do when she was mad. Maybe this Glitcherman wasn't as obnoxious or as awful as she always said he was. I mean, sure he had a feeling to him that rang my little Customer Service "horrible customer incoming" warning bell, and sure his voice matched the typical easily angered, demanding hotshots that came into the restaurant every now and then. But that didn't mean he would be all that bad, right??

Right????

The three voices were fading away. I knew better than to hope they were completely gone: this singular path within this hedge maze twisted a lot, but it shared a wall for most of its way-- they would soon make a full turn and twist and turn to where I was.

I sighed heavily. Well, then. That left only one option.

Squaring my shoulders back, I lifted my head up high.

Yes, this was it. This was the only way. Calmly, slowly, I turned towards the wall behind me, the dead end that had so disappointed me... and jumped.

Climb the wall! Climb the wall! I didn't have time-- climb the wall and drop down on the other side!!!

Use my Customer Service skills to worm my way out of his request? Not a chance. Maybe I could've, if I had been of equal status to him, but this was a bit too much, don't you think?? He could get me straight into prison for insubordination! Okay, maybe not that much, but who knew what horrible noble customers demanded whenever they were miffed!!! 

The hedge was entirely too tall-- as tall as maybe one and a half of me-- but I scrambled up it as best I could, even as branches scratched my skin and snagged my dress. I cursed quietly, muttering some choice words towards whoever created these mazes. Who even decided to make hedge mazes in the middle of an academic learning institution?? Ugh.

I was so busy hissing to myself and trying to stay attached to the hedge that I didn't notice, or recognize, the sound of someone clearing their throat behind me through the violent rustles of the hedge until they spoke out loud.

"Uhh..."

My heart dropped at the sound, and that was as far as they got before I lost my balance and dropped to my feet on the ground. Not even by a lot, because I'd barely made any progress, but still.

I stood there, huffing quietly, too scared to turn around. Ohh no. Had I taken too long? Would I turn around to discover Glitcherman on his knee, and his other noble friends gaping at the girl with twigs in her hair?!

The person cleared their throat again, and I winced. "Are you okay?" he asked.

...that wasn't Glitcherman's voice.

I whipped around, heart thumping, and almost cried at who I saw.

"Oh, thank goodness," I breathed, sinking to the floor. A lump of tears sprang up in my throat. "You're not Glitcherman."

The person, in black, hesitantly stepped towards me, a hint of concern in his furrowed brows.

I blinked. Wait a minute, I knew this guy! He helped me last time I came to the Academy-- the Lindent feel-alike from last time!!1why Filian, so you've felt both of them before? huehuehue >:) "Oh!" I gasped, hand rising to my mouth. "It's-- you're-- uh, hello, sir! Nice, nice to meet you. Again, actually, though you probably don't remember."

Dusting myself off as much as I could, I stood back on shaky legs. That shock had been quite the shock, man, but I couldn't sit there like some damsel in distress in Mother Lily's high society romance novels forever. That was for noble ladies. I still needed to escape while I could. I cast a glance past the man, in case they were rounding the corner and coming here, but thankfully it was still empty.

"Very sorry, but I should be going. You wouldn't happen to know a way out of this dead end?" I added hopefully, drawing my eyes back to his. Why else would he have come to this dead end? He wouldn't have come here because he'd gotten lost like I had. Maybe there was a secret way out only members of the Academy knew.

But he shook his head, and I deflated. "Thank you anyways, sir. Then..."

"Are you in a hurry?" he asked, gesturing at my hair... or probably the leaves in my hair. I gave him a wry smile, shrugging.

"I guess you could say that. I'm, um...." Okay, how did one say 'I'm trying to avoid someone because I overheard them talking about a date but I don't want to go' without saying that exactly? "I'm, ah, attempting to make it to the Academy gates safely," I finished. Safely, as in without meeting Glitcherman or getting forced into a date. "So...."

...wait. What if I used this guy as a distraction? 

A plan was forming in my mind as I spoke. "I'm so sorry, sir, but could I ask of a favor from you? I know this may be very insolent of a commoner like me to ask, but if you aren't too busy."

He tilted his head one way, and I took that as a yes.

Heart racing faster, I swallowed. "Could you guide me back outside? I've gotten lost in this maze, and I can't seem to find my way out. You don't need to bring me out to the gate completely, just out of this maze."

He began nodding before I'd even finished my sentence, and the breath whooshed out of my lungs in relief.

"Thank you very, very much!"

And with that, he turned and began walking as I followed behind him.

Yes!! With him now, the possibilities were endless. Glitcherman might not ask someone who was being accompanied by another noble, especially if it was a commoner. He might think me a simple maidservant and ignore my existence entirely. And I could definitely use him as an excuse not to go on a date! And-- well, if push came to shove, as much as it pricked on my conscience, why else would two people be coming back from a dead end in an enclosed maze? I could imply something of a romantic rendezvous, and surely even Glitcherman wouldn't try to 'steal' a girl from someone else, right? As much as that would probably make this guy hate me.

Too bad-- he had such comfy Lindent energy. I hoped push didn't come to shove. That would be really demoralizing for me to do to someone who'd only been so kind to me so far.

I heard Glitcherman and his friends (or so I assumed) before I saw them. In the many corners we turned within this single path, we didn't really meet them face-to-face until we reached a relatively longer stretch of the path.

I didn't dare to look up at them in case my eyes met Glitcherman's, and I stayed hidden behind my guide's back as much as possible, keeping to one side like he was.

Please, please, please, please don't notice me, I pleaded in my mind. I am nothing but mere air, I am beneath your notice, I do not exist--

"Oh! Who do we have here!" came Glitcherman's booming voice, considerably nearer than I'd heard him before. "Look, Lady Weren-- isn't--"

'Lady'? My head popped up and my eyes darted around, landing straight past the shiny armor of Glitcherman glinting in the sun and onto the bell-shaped figure of, undoubtedly, a noble lady, whose hand was loosely holding onto Glitcherman's metal-covered arm.

He met a lady!! Before he met me!!!! Oh goodness gracious, thank Queen Serah!!! And thank you, gracious lady, for taking a random walk in the hedges for no reason!!!!!!

I was so busy praising the heavens for my luck that Glitcherman's words didn't register in my mind for five blissful seconds.

Five short, blissful seconds, and then the words crashed into my brain.

"Look, Lady Weren, if it isn't Sir Avelaide!"


Sir Leonard Avelaide. Prime Minister's son. Green eyes, brown hair, very pretty face-- these were the traits Rosa had told me about He Who Must Not Die.

And this guy, who I'd met three times, had green eyes, brown hair, and quite the handsome look to him, now that I thought of it. But was it the Lindent energy? I hadn't considered that he might be someone from Rosa's list of "targets" at all.

Glitcherman and Sir Leonard Avelaide-- two people whose names I'd heard repeated over and over again, whose specific signs were the only things I could read in my illiteracy, whose potential futures I'd heatedly discussed with Rosa for the last two hours-- stood right in front of me, talking. I gripped my hands together, trying to force this sudden lightheadedness away.

I should've known. He'd been the one Rosa had said to look for that first time I'd met him at the Capital Hall, way back when she'd tasked me with dropping the sunflower handkerchief. I should've known he'd be related to the "game" Rosa talked about. I should've known.

Complicated thoughts whirled around in me. Was it okay that I knew him? Rosa avoided him like the plague-- did I have to, too? Especially with all the plans that were about to begin... this wasn't safe at all, was it!?

The only condolence I had was that he hadn't seen me with Rosa, or heard me mentioning her... I think. Did I, last time we met? I racked my brain for memories, but the only thing I remembered talking to him was about Lindent himself, since I said he reminded me of him.

Oh boy. I hope I didn't put Lindent in trouble.

While these worries created heavy lumps in my stomach, Glitcherman raised a hand in farewell. "Well, nice meetin' you here, Sir Avelaide. Good day."

"Good day."

And with a curt nod, the feet that had paused began strolling again, and I followed automatically, numbly, hurriedly.

We made it out quickly-- or maybe it just felt like that because I was dying on the inside, that happened sometimes-- and I forced myself to speak cheerfully. "Thank you very much, sir, I'll be going now. If you could point me to the gates, I will not take up more of your time."

"Wait," he said, a little quickly. "I have time. I'll take you to the gates."

Refuse, Filian, refuse!! "That's very kind of you, but I couldn't dare impose on you, sir. I will be completely fine--"

"I'm also headed that way."

The confusion within me turned into misery. "Then, thank you," I bowed, when I really wanted to say "Please forget my face and that we ever met."

But wait, came a little hopeful voice, you know, he might not remember you at all. Leonard Avelaide was the Prime Minister's son, so he probably met hundreds of important people, like, every day. Which meant that there was probably very little chance that he would actually remember me, either from last time or this time. 

My tense shoulders relaxed somewhat. Yeah! And as kind as he'd been to me, he might have led other lost people to their destinations hundreds of times before, too! I mean, think about it-- what were the chances that this great, noble-born, celebrity-status and busy guy would remember someone he met very shortly, and only three times? He didn't even know my name!

A burst of cheer bloomed in my heart, and my steps turned light. Oh, how great it was to be an insignificant commoner! And insignificant, I would always remain. Hurrah!!

I didn't say anything to him in our silent walk to the gates, in case I might somehow leave a mark on his memory. I also tried to hide my face as much as possible, staying strictly behind him and walking very, very quietly.

We reached the gate in no time this way. Once the gate was almost entirely in view, I stopped him. "Um, sir!"

He paused, half-turning around inquisitively. I almost smiled-- the way he did that really did ooze Lindent energy, in a weird sort of way, even though they looked nothing alike. Shaking it off, I told him, "Thank you again for bringing me out again. I should part ways with you here, so as not to burden you further."

Leonard Avelaide opened his mouth, like he was about to say that it was fine-- such a nice young man!-- but I hurriedly added, "The person who has agreed to meet me will be soon here, so please do not worry and continue on your way. You must be busy. Again, thank you very much, sir."

On the off chance that he should remember me, I couldn't let him see me with Rosa's footman or her carriage. Once he left, I'd go find the carriage myself-- but until then, I needed to keep the connection as hidden as possible.

He seemed to waver, his dark hair swaying under the shade. Shifting, he then nodded, like he'd come to some sort of resolution. "It was my pleasure," he responded, his head dipping into a very slight bow.

What a polite young man! And to a commoner, too! No wonder Rosa wanted so much to save him.

I gave him a small smile. "I wish you a great day," I bowed, then spun away purposefully to head towards one of the big trees near the entrance to wait. My ears stayed tuned to his footsteps, hearing them fade into the distance as I, too, walked away.

After about five minutes of waiting (just to make sure! You never knew!), I scurried out from under the tree and scanned the area for Rosa's footman, and was on board Rosa's carriage in no time.

Once we were rattling along, I spent most of the ride with my face in my hands, moaning my luck. Of all people, I had to meet Glitcherman. And of all people, I had to meet The Dying Guy!!! Really, Filian? Really?!

Indeed, I was so busy berating myself, that if there happened to be someone sprinting at an impractical speed in the distance, I didn't notice.

And once we reached the restaurant, I got off, weary, thanked the footman with a smile, and turned around to be met with a pleasant surprise.

"Lindent! What are you doing here so early? And wow, you sure are out of breath; you okay?"


A/N: This update is technically still late (?) because yesterday's update was last week's update, just super late. Haha. But yes! I swore it on Glitcherman's name, so I've come to deliver! It's an extra long chapter that's more on time than before!! Which means... Hm, does he get to keep his name for now? I don't know exactly how swearing on names work. But anyways, hurrah! :D

11