Chapter 3 – Poor Lovers and Their Misunderstandings
122 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

 

Dont forget to leave a comment down below!

Cassius’s face was pale, his hands shook a bit, and his eyes seemed to unfocus. He was stricken with fear. Noticing this Tomusir chose to console him in hopes he could gain what little courage possible. “Worry not, your courage shall help you overcome this. True bravery and courage can only come when you are afraid. Come to my camp before the assault today, Cassius. I have something that will help you, hopefully.” He looked at Cassius with a warm expression. No person should ever enter such a decisive battle without confidence in their actions. But, they knew he was up to the task - he was always.

On the other hand, Zakir chose to speak with an unreadable expression. His stoic or passionate facades slowly falling away. “Pray today! Pray to the goddess of light to open your path, let there be no obstacle in your way! That you reach the heart of this dark ritual!” said Zakir. His words echoing, making it clear he had used a skill he was known for. Once every seven years, he was given a single answered prayer from the goddess, and he had just used it. 

All the while, Cassius was oblivious to this. His minds in turmoil and his heart barely able to take it all. He had yet to confess, and a single night probably would not change that. If he died, Relaki would forever be lost from him, and into the hands of another. Something he could not allow but was too weak to prevent.

Why me! Why me! He screamed in his mind, it would not have been proper to do so among such esteemed people. He had not heard anything from the words of those around him, all long lost to his anxiety and fear. Then again, High Paladin Zakir’s prayers and screams were like a dull hum in the background. They somehow resonated with his mind. A prayer, that was what it was.

“Aye, little one! Fear not, ‘f ya make ‘t back, ‘ll buy ya a mug of our strongest dwarven BEER! Hahahaha … Go now and prepare ‘our mind for this, boy. We donna need and a wussy leading me warriors. Haha!” said Agnar in his usually boisterous ways. Laughing a deep belly laugh he pounded his thigh as though he had told the funniest thing ever heard. 

Westiur chose this moment to speak as he stared at the eccentric dwarf next to him, “Our mages will give out blessings to the warriors before the fight. I suggest all other mage groups and priests do so as well.” Saying this, all members of leadership nodded along. The strike force would need all help possible if they hoped to succeed.

“I agree. It makes an enormous difference, having those blessings do. I will make sure the three groups of priests and mage guild give out their blessings to the strike force. But, I will have something special prepared for Cassius as the commander of this force,” said Zakir in response. 

“Good. Well, this concludes our meeting, return to your camps and begin preparation. Our assault will start at sunrise tomorrow! Be prepared, no exceptions will be made. Anywho miss the agreed time will be seen as defectors and will be executed without trial.” Tomusir spoke with a certainty and a cold glint in his eyes. He was deadly serious of his threat and would carry it out himself.

As the commanders got up to leave the command tent, Zakir had to pull Cassius out with him. He knew what it meant to go on your first mission of great importance as the commander. And especially how hard it was to cope with such stress. All that separates the most celebrated commanders, and the dead is how they handled it. Cassius would need to get through this himself, no help would get him out of this, well except one. Smiling, Zakir couldn't but help think to himself.

The two are perfect for each other. It pains me much to see them be so clumsy when they are around each other, all the while not seeing the love the other has for them. If anyone can get Cassius out of this miserable state, it would definitely be her. 

Continuing on this train of thought, Zakir pulled out a large gem, the size of his hand from his robe. The gem-filled his hand entirely. It was utterly black - absorbing the light around it - with a middle made of a pure white mineral to counteract the blackness that was on the outside. Separate, the two were worthless, but together - the process to get them to fuse was almost impossible - they gave way to the most potent blessing the goddess could provide, The Benediction of Greater Light.

Though this will cause a great outcry, I cannot with good conscience let him go without it. Luckily, the prophetess had agreed when I asked for it. 

The Benediction of Greater Light was considered as the most powerful blessing the goddess of light can provide. Needing fifty-nine high paladins to enact the ritual and two large mana stones; it made the price was exorbitant. Though the outcry would not be about the price rather what it does to the recipient. The last time it was used, it made the recipients connection with the goddess so strong they were considered at the level of the prophetess herself; only under the command of the goddess and no one else.

“Come on Cassius, snap out of it! The goddess will provide, for she has a plan for everything! Just make sure to pray extra tonight okay.” Zakir nudged him as they neared Cassius’s tent.

“O- Okay,” Cassius replied dully and without emotion.

“Let us get you to your tent. I will send a few paladin attendants to bring you a newer and stronger set of armor to wear. Through her light…” Waiting for his reply, Zakir herded him into his tent., pushing the tent flap out of the way, he helped Cassius sit down on his make-shift bed. A cozy affair made of thick blankets and even thicker pillows.

“Sh-She Pr-Provides,” said Cassius without a second thought. Those words were ingrained into his mind. He did not need cognitive functions to say those words. Hours and hours of grueling training could not be forgotten even in the toughest of times. 

Leaving Zakir simply nodded, not knowing what to make of Cassius’s impassive face and dull replies. Hopefully, he was controlling his emotions rather than the emotions controlling him. Walking out of the tent he intended to find High Paladin Relaki. He needed her assistance greatly. As he continued to walk towards her tent, he saw her a bit away talking to her attendant as he cleaned her armor for her

“… killed it with a mace. Made a big mess, thankfully I have you, Festifu! Thank you so much!” Acting prettily, Relaki had Festifu completely head over heels about her. A ring around her tiny finger only, while Festifu would just nod with a giant grin on his face.

“Relaki,” Zakir called out. “Have you heard the news?” he asked, there would have been something wrong if she heard Cassius was apart of the strike force and was not bawling somewhere. 

“Other than there will be a strike team to force their way into the caves, no,” She shook her head, long, luscious, and black hair swaying with her. “I feel pity for those chosen to do this suicidal mission. We can only pray that their deaths are not in vain,” she said in a solemn tone.

“Yes. Well, I know how you feel infatuated by Cassius,” Saying this Festifu looked up with a dangerous glim in his eye. Completely oblivious, Relaki replied with an irritated voice. 

“Out with it, Zakir! What is the meaning of this shrouded speech! Tell me outright or forever hold your peace because I know you will not be quiet after you have started.”

Sighing greatly, Zakir shook his head with a small smile adorning his face. She caught his ploy before he could even get started, then again his star pupil knew him better than anyone else. 

“Cassius will be heading this strike force. It is meant to begin at sunrise thirteen hours from now. Just wanted to let you know so that you may pray for him.”

Eyes wide, mouth dry, and face pale, Relaki looked to be lost. It took a while, but she finally came out of her trance, tears began to flow down her cheeks as she screamed with a croaky voice.

“No! Zakir! No, don’t make him do this, please. He has a great future ahead of him. I- I- I care for him greatly! Reconsider this, please. Let the other commanders know he is not well or something. Make something up, but please don’t make him go, especially as the commander!” she bawled, grabbing the top part of his breastplate, she gripped it until her knuckles turned white. Looking away, Zakir could not bear to watch her in such agony, but for her sake and Cassius’s she needed to get his confidence back up; it was the only way. 

“I am sorry Relaki. There is nothing I can do about this now. The decision has already been made. I believe he will survive. Just make sure to pray to the goddess for her protection. I, umm, also came to let you know that I think he should get our goddess’s blessing.”

“Blessing! What blessing could possibly bring him out alive!” Relaki screamed, disbelief at Zakir’s words clear in her face.

“The Benediction of Greater Light,” he said slowly and deliberately. 

“What? Are you mad, Zakir? This has not been done in the last two thousand years! We need, not only the Grand Popes blessing but also two-thirds of the Council and the Prophetess’s approval. It would take months if not years for them to stop bickering and make this decision.” Walking away, she took a seat on a chair that had been conveniently left outside her tent. Putting her head into her hands, she began crying, “Oh! My poor Cassius. Sent to your death so soon.”

Smirking, Zakir said, “Women control yourself. You forget how well prepared, I like to be. I had gained the approval of all needed parties a week before our march from Uls Aronusic. Though it was difficult convincing them over a communication stone, after speaking with the prophetess, she ordered the rest to agree because the goddess ordained we were going to need it.” Patting his shoulder, he watched as Relaki stopped crying and looked up with a tear-stained face and hope filling her eyes.

“Yes! There is still a chance! Leave me for now, I need to pray to the goddess then speak with Cassius before he leaves. He must be tearing out his hair in fear and frustration.” she said, as she got up in a hurry. Pushing the two men away from her tent. She was a woman with a mission.

~~~

Cassius laid down on his bed thinking of his most dire situation. Despair and fear welled up in his soul. Unable to fathom how he had gotten to this point. He felt the world was submerged in water, his limbs heavy and breathing even more so. Falling to his back, he could not believe his bad luck. He always knew that being with them in that tent would only bring him even more trouble than he could handle. And now he was proven right.

Why me?! Why is it always me?!

Sitting up from his previous position, he straightened his back and slapped his face three times trying to wake himself up from his stupor. Sighing with dejection, he thought to himself,

I need to get out of this funk! I can’t let my final moments be the tale of a coward. I need to be seen as brave. Maybe I can meet Mom in heaven with a smile, letting her know that her son was a hero! Killed the all-powerful necromancers with a single swing of his sword! Or maybe not, she probably would meet me with her trust sandal demanding why I am bothering her in the afterlife as well. 

His eyes suddenly became dreamy. His thoughts moving to more mature things.

Then again, if I actually make it back, maybe High Paladin Relaki will finally notice me.

As he continued motivating himself with dreams of grandeur and Relaki, a voice filled with pure hate, jealousy, and anger sounded out from in front of his tent. A voice he was quite familiar with for the duration of this march.

“Cassius! Come out here you bastard! Come out here and hear my piece then I will be as far away from your horrific stench as possible!” Screamed Festifu, his voice as loud as he could humanly muster. Getting up from his seated position, Cassius looked extremely confused.


I don’t smell that bad. Do I?

Smelling himself, he got up from his seated position and walked to the tent flap. Stepping out he grabbed his sword just in case this devolved into a confrontation. Looking outside his tent, he found Festifu with a very dangerous looking sword raised up to the heavens as he swung it wildly over his head.

“Come out here and face my wrath!” he screamed again as he noticed Cassius step out of the tent. Cassius, trying to keep as much space between himself and Festifu, came out of the tent with his back directly touching the tent flap. He started moving slowly towards the left for more space if a confrontation happened. Holding his sheathed swords pummel, he replied,

“Umm, what do you want Festifu. I don’t have time for your weird antics.”

For some random reason, Festifu had always been aggressive and sometimes even combative towards Cassius since they began their march. Yet, he did not know why. He tried asking him, but that somehow just made the situation even worse. Festifu was actually a decent guy towards him until he became High Paladin Relaki’s attendant,

Hmm, now that I think about it. Everyone from my own division and the previous generation who served with Releki’s as attendants or sword bearers had an undue amount of hate towards me. I wonder why.

“Listen here, chump! You better come back alive from your mission! Or- or- I will kill you!” Having said his piece and leaving Cassius, in what he believed as a quivering mess, he went without looking back once.

Cassius stared at the disappearing back of Festifu with an extreme amount of confusion written on his face. Why would anyone say that to him? It made no sense at all. 

Umm, how is he supposed to kill me if I am dead? And why would he say something so weird?!

Looking away with a shake of his head, Cassius froze in his spot like prey caught by a predator. Coming towards him was Relaki. Cassius watched as she sashayed her way towards him, her soft and pure skin glistening in the afternoon, and her mane of luscious hair swinging behind her. Heart thumping a million times per second, he felt his knees weaken, and hands become clammy in anxiety.

RELAKI IS COMING TOWARDS ME!!!

He shrieked in his mind. What was he supposed to say?! Should he say hi, no that doesn't work, he needed to impress her. Thinking of a million things, he found himself without any idea of what to start out with so he decided to keep it simple.

What’s up? Yes, that’s perfect. Simple but cool. 

Somehow, Cassius had overlooked that Relaki was walking towards him with a weird look on her face. As she passed every eye was on her, wishing to be the recipient of her attention and cursing who was. Finally, after what felt like hours of watching her sashay about in ways in had dreamed, she made it to the tent where he stood. Both started, trying to speak first trying and break the tension that had built up. 

“H …”

“Wafts Ub?!”

“…?”

“Uh… I mean … Waz up! Sorry, haha!” 

With a dazzling smile and a giggle that sounded like the bells of The Light Church of Broveclus to Cassius, but was actually a very nervous laugh, Relaki said,

“Cassius calm down. I came too umm, talk to you.” With another nervous laugh and a grimace she began fidgeting and making circles with her hair, she continued, “I, umm, just wanted to say that I kind of lov… I mean to let you know that High Paladin Zakir wants to use the Greater Blessing of Light on you! Yea, that’s what I wanted to say.” Scratching the back of her head, she looked down at her feet then back up to Cassius’s face, just to notice the most incredulous face Cassius could have probably given her. Completely crushing her confidence in confessing. 

“What? Why? That’s just too much. How did he get the approval of those peacocks on the council? Why me? Do we have enough Mana? I can’t be on the same level as the Prophetess! I won’t survive the pressure, not to mention all those nobles and their political theatre. Goddess, how I hate speaking to those stuck up nobles!” On and on Cassius went, until Relaki’s left eye began to twitch in irritation. 

“Cassius!” she could not take any more of it, “Stop! Stop for the sake of the goddess of light, you are going to burst my ears from your endless questions and complaints. Do not worry yourself with all that yet. We will get to that later after we leave this hellhole. Hopefully, this should all be done by tomorrow at dusk,” she suggested to him. 

Having been persuaded by Relaki’s glamorous giggles and smiles rather than what she said. Cassius hurriedly nodded his head.

“Of course, of course! Yea, we should meet up after this, to umm, you know work out these issues. Haha. Not anything else, hahaha hahaha!”

“Y…Yea. Be ready by Dawn. Right before the attack starts.” Said Relaki, as she quickly left with a sad face at Cassius’s last comment of meeting for no reason except to solve political issues, Relaki hurried away towards Zakir.

Once Zakir noticed her speeding her way towards him, an enormous smile blossoms on his face. Spreading his arms out, he waited until she was close enough then said,

“Have you and him come to an agreement?”

“No!” Finally noticing her sad face, he became worried about his star pupil. 

“What happened? Did you not go to confess your undying love to him?”

“I couldn’t! I was so nervous! I broke down and instead told him about the ritual.”

Zakir sighed and began to massage his forehead “Oh, poor Relaki. Never to confess to her true love! Even though his desire and love for her can be seen from miles away. Just look at him, he still carries that far away look from before. Probably imagining his entire life with you” Zakir could not help himself, he cared greatly for Relaki, but he had to pick on her until she did what she needed to do without breaking down.

As Zakir continued to poke Relaki with his words, Cassius was in his own dreamland actually fantasizing about his entire life with Relaki until old age.

I have to make it back! Maybe, just maybe, I have a chance!

1