Chapter 7
1.9k 4 43
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Another quest, that's great," Dan says to himself. "It says the reward is based on how many types of things I eat, so I better get started."

Dan spends the next few hours eating anything he can find ants, woodlice, spiders, almost anything that could fit in his mouth. After eating tons of different food, Dan goes back home to rest and take a tiny bit out of the snake.

Waking up from his nap, Dan decides to upgrade both Lesser Poison Resistance and Robust Digestion. He upgraded them one at a time as he swore he would. The burn sensation returned as he knew it would, but he withstood it as it is nothing compared to the burning from upgrading both of them at the same time.

Since both Lesser Poison Resistance and Robust Digestion, Dan decides that he could be more daring when choosing what to eat. Dan glances around to see anything interesting to try to eat. Seeing a piece of bark, Dan decides to try and eat it to see if he can get any bio-energy from it.

As Dan begins to bite down on the piece of bark, Dan realizes that his teeth are not good enough to chew it. "I guess I will just swallow a tiny piece, so it counts," Dan thinks to himself. "I will try again when I upgrade my teeth."

Dan continued to try eating any strange things that did not look deadly. Once Dan is satisfied with looking for things to eat, he goes back to his tree so he can work on eating the snake and work on upgrading his teeth so he can try the tree bark.

Climbing up the tree, Dan hears a bird call, he looks around an sees it is only a red cardinal, not big enough to pose a real threat. Going inside his home, Dan lays down and starts eating some of the snake.

After half an hour of relaxing and eating, Dan decides to go to the stream to see what he can eat there.

Arriving at the stream, Dan finds and eats a fly, a skimmer, and a beetle. Following eating those, Dan finds a safe place nearby so he can upgrade his teeth. After enduring the insane itching sensation of upgrading his teeth, he chooses to go a bit further away for home to search for more things to eat.

Meanwhile, back at Dan's school with Emma, she is a hard time. She is talking with her, Catlin. "Emma, you look exhausted. Your eyes are bloodshot, and I guaranty if you weren't wearing eye shadow, I would see bags under your eyes," Catlin says to Emma with concern.

"Oh, don't lecture me about it. you look the same as me," Emma shouts at Catlin then immediately regrets it. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to shout. I have just been so high strung ever since... well you know," Emma says, apologizing to Catlin.

"I know, Emma, it is infuriating to keep searching and find nothing at each turn. Plus, it's almost impossible to go to sleep while wondering where Dan is, worrying that you should be out looking for him, but we will just have to trust that he is fine. You know as well as I do that Dan would want you to get your rest, so you don't get sick," Catlin says to Emma.

"I'll try. It is just really hard to not worry," Emma tells Catlin, trying not to cry. "So once Dan finally is back, will you finally work up the courage to ask him on a date," Emma asks, putting on a brave smile while holding back tears.

"Definitely, I have to ask him before Venesa gets her claws into him," she tells Emma seeming a little jealous or possibly angry.

"Yeah, she is a super mean to everyone except Dan. I would much rather you date him than her, plus you are my best friend," Emma tells Catlin.

"Well, we should be getting to class now. Talk to you later," Catlin tells Emma as she walks away.

After school, Emma goes over to Catlin's house to hang out and have fun. "Hey, Emma, are you still going on the field trip planned by Ms. Brooks, the geology teacher? The trip begins tomorrow, Thursday, and will last until Sunday. We will be staying in a log cabin lodge by the woods, and I assume Ms. Brooks will be telling us about geology as we walk the trails," Catlin tells Emma.

"I thought that this trip was scheduled for a week from now, why are we having it tomorrow," Emma asks, surprised.

"From what I have heard some parents, including yours, asked for it to be moved up," Catlin told Emma.

"Why would they want to do that," Emma questions?

"You know why. They want you to have fun and take your mind of Dan. The rest of the parents probably want something similar," Catlin says.

"Yeah, I suppose that makes sense. They have been pretty worried about me. Since they did it for me, I suppose I have to go," Emma says, feeling a bit sad that her parents had to go to such lengths, but glad they care about her so much that they did. "I hope I get to be in the same room as you," Emma says passionately.

"Well, silly girl, it is your lucky day, I ask Ms. Brooks to pair us up, so you don't have to worry," Catlin says playfully. "The only downside is that everyone is paired in groups of four, so it will not just be us sharing a room," Catlin states.

"That's great. We are going to have so much fun together. We can have pillow fights and stay up and play games," Emma says excitedly.

43