Chapter 11
317 6 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After the utter destruction of the checkpoint, Leyton drove the car quickly in the direction kg the main demon army base. Following behind him were fifty green military tanks and fourth military helicopters, all ready to do battle. Lead in front were two angels, with one possessing white wings while the other possessed black wings.

For the next half-an-hour, he drove the car through the rugged terrain, without him or his wife, Skye, feeling any of the roughness. It was all thanks to the incredible magic his car was customized with, they would not be affected by external factors whatsoever.

“Man. I'm under sixty kilometers per hour. If this was the highway, I'd be doing hundred.”

“It's a safe speed to go at in this unfamiliar… um… place,” said Skye with a wry smile.

She had been about to use the word, “road,” as it was natural. So, that was why she put on a wry smile at how strange the situation was for her to see a new expensive racing car being drive over grassy lands as of if was perfectly on the road.

“Yeah, but it's taking time. Just how far do we have to go?” Leyton asked finally after several minutes of silence. “I just want to finish our business and leave.”

“Have some patience, Leyley,” said is wife calmly from beside him. “There's no rush. I'm sure we'll get there soon.”

He glanced sideways at his wife and made a wry smile when he saw her smiling serenely at him.

“That's some positive thinking you've got there, Skye, but I'm not as patient as you.”

As his wife giggled, he leaned forward to look through the front glass of the car to where the angels were flying steadily up in the sky. Leyton wanted to ask them about the estimated time of arrival at the enemy base, but he realized that he had no way of doing that.

“Oh!” He said, and his wife looked at him in surprise. “I know. I'll just speak to them telepathically.”

Skye blinked twice at him, clearly surprised by his words, before she asked, “Are you a psychic, Leyley?”

“Pft!” Leyton exclaimed reflexively by hearing those unexpected words. He glanced at his wife and chuckled as he replied, “Of course not. I'm going to use magic.”

“Oh…!” She said know awe, looking impressed.

He faced the front and narrowed his eyes slightly to focus on imagining that he could communicate with the angels floating in the sky. As he did, he sensed an unfamiliar sensation occurred within him, and then felt as though his thoughts were being carried through the wind.

Then he heard a small “click” sound, indicating that his telepathy link was successful. Smiling in satisfaction, he began to speak out loud, and his words got transferred to the other person's mind through magic.

“Miss Veva, and Miss Lexy, can you hear me?”

For a second or two, he could not hear anything in response as everything was rather silent. He even briefly wondered whether the other party knew how to use telepathy, but his worries were for nothing because he got a response on bus head a second later.

“This voice…? Is this Sir Leyton, or did I imagine it?” Lexy's voice asked in confusion.

“Yeah. I heard his voice too,” said Veva's voice in acknowledgement.

“Wow. I connected to both of them,” said Leyton reflexively outside.

“Oh! That's great,” his wife said happily.

“Yeah. Saves me the trouble of trying to speak to them separately,” he said with a smile.

As he finished speaking, he heard the surprised gasps of the angels and hears them respond in awe and amazement.

“Wow! Sir, you're amazing! To be able to use Telepathy so easily, it's remarkable!”

“It took us around a month to master it, so it is amazing.”

He chuckled and said, “That's great. Anyway, can you tell me how much further we have to go to reach the base, or maybe the estimation of our arrival?”

The reply that came shocked him.

“An hour.”

“An hour?!” He exclaimed in shock and caused his wife to look at him in alarm. “That's way too long! Can't we go any faster?”

“We could, sir, but the terrain is a little unbalanced,” said Vevain concern.

“We just think your vehicle will take heavy damage and may hurt you, is we're going steadily,” added Lexy in concern.

He shook his head and sighed before giving them his response.

“It's fine. This car can take quite the beating and will still be fine. Believe me. So, let's not waste any more time and go faster.”

There was a pause, and he momentarily wondered whether the angels were still hesitating. Then came their reply of, “Okay, sir,” and he smiled in satisfaction.

The two angels activated their powers that caused their wings to suddenly expand as of they were on edge. A moment later, there was a burst of wind as the two were propelled forward at a remarkable speed.

“Oh!” Leyton said upon seeing them flying forward.

He immediately shifted the gears and hit the accelerator, making the car go faster. When he checked the speedometer and saw that he was doing just above hundred kilometers per hour, he smiled with satisfaction.

“There we go. Now we're moving,” he said happily. He glanced at his wife and asked, “Are you okay, Skye?”

“Oh. Yes. I'm perfectly fine,” she said, a little edge in her voice. “This is quite fast.”

“Well, yeah. We are riding in a fast car after all. I'm pretty sure this thing can do 200 no problem,” he said with a chuckle. Then he saw her tense up and asked cheekily, “Should we test it?”

He got an immediate response of, “No, no, no, no, no,” from his wife, and she even shook her head in a clear disapproval.

Seeing her reaction made him burst into a hilarious laughter that startled her before he said, “I'm only joking. Just kidding.”

She stared at him in disbelief before she put on a pouting face and said, “You are such a tease! I won't talk to you if you do it again.”

He chuckled and said, “I'm sorry. Really.”

Like that, the husband and wife had fun with each other while they sped through the grassy fields. The tanks and the helicopters kept up with their pace without losing any kind of rhythm.

Soon, they covered the distance that could have taken them over an hour before they reached a steep hill. They rode up and quickly reached the top, which was where Leyton saw the angels descending to the ground.

“Looks like we're here,” he said, and his wife leaned forward a little to see the front.

They made it to the top of the hill and arrived at the spot where the two angels had landed at. He brought the car to a steady halt, and all the tanks and helicopters came to a steady halt behind them.

From their vantage point, they could see that a large fortress was located several kilometers from where they were. They saw smoke from several places rising into the sky and thought that it looked tougher than the checkpoint that they very recently destroyed. However, they knew this was the main base just by the sheer intimidating aura that was resonating from that place all the way to where they arrived at.

Leyton gulped and said, “We're finally here.”

Skye was as equally as nervous as him, but when she saw him being nervous, she could not help but giggle.

“I didn't think you'd be nervous, Leyton, after all the boasting and stuff you said a while back,” she said cheekily, paying him back for teasing her earlier.

Started that she saw his momentary weakness, he coughed and replied, “You probably imagined it.”

A moment later, he got out of the car just as Because and Lexy hurried up to him.

“That's the demon's main base, sir,” said Lexy in a nervous voice and pointed at the fortress.

He smiled at her and said with a small smile, “Yeah.  I can tell, and damn. It's quite intimidating, isn't it?”

“Yes, sir,” admitted Lexy weakly.

“Normally, we'd need a fully mobilized army to deal with this kind of threat because of how dangerous this place is,” said Veva with a dark look on her face. Then she added, “So many valiant souls died here. All for nothing.”

Leyton looked at the two angels fidgeting restlessly and understood that they were scared. He remembered how his wife would get scared during thunderstorms and that he would rub her head gently to calm her. So, taking that as an example, he gently placed both of his hands on their heads and began rubbing them soothingly.

“It'll be fine. I'm here, and so are my army of tanks and helicopters, so nothing bad will happen to us. Besides, I've only come here to greet our enemy. That's all. I'm not going to get tangled up in a full-scale war or anything like that. That's not going to happen, so please relax. We're safe.”

The two angels looked up at him in amazement before they closed their eyes and smiled as they slowly relaxed.

He continued to rub their heads to soothe them when he suddenly felt a presence behind him and heard a familiar voice ask, “And what are you doing?”

Leyton jumped in fright and turned around quickly to see his wife staring at him with a stern look and her hands on her hips. This was the look of his wife when she would catch him doing strange things that would often annoy her.

“I wasn’t doing anything bad! I swear!” He said defensively, removing his hands away from the angels’ heads and imploring desperately to his wife. “Really! They were worried, so I was just trying to make them feel at ease. That’s all! Honest!”

Skye continued to look at him as if she was seeing a thief before she suddenly dropped her expression and grinned at him.

“I know that. I was only teasing you,” she said and winked at him cheekily.

He stared at his wife in disbelief, and upon registering that all of this was just her teasing him, he placed a hand on his face and let out a deep sigh in exasperation. She walked over and patted him on the back, causing him to turn to face her with a bemused expression on his face.

“Wasn’t teasing me in the car about my nervousness enough?” He asked wearily.

“No. I wanted to tease you properly and see your reaction,” she replied and flashed him another grin.

Leyton stared at her in amazement before sighing yet again and smiling before rubbing her head. She closed her eyes and began enjoying the sensation. Then he turned and faced towards the fortress that was several kilometers ahead of them with a small confident smile on his face.

 

==== + ==== + ==== + ====

 

Closing the Book

 

“What? That’s it? That’s the chapter?” The boy asked, flipping to the next page and seeing that it’s a new chapter while looking confused. He looked up at the older man and asked, “This can’t be it?”

“Yup. That’s the chapter,” stated the older man in confirmation.

“Seriously? That chapter was basically about them moving to the enemy base, having conversation, some use of magic with that telepathy thing, and that’s it. There was literally nothing great about this chapter!” The boy complained as he fumed about the chapter disappointment.

“Oh? You really think the chapter is a disappointment considering what went down between Skye and Leyton?” The older man asked with a wry smile.

“Oh. Well,” the boy began and hesitated, realising that he was probably a bit too harsh, “I guess those were moments with Leyton and Skye was pretty cute. I really like how they teased each other and shows us how close their relationship is.”

“They are really close,” the older man said pleasantly. “They’re, what you call, a couple that are destined to be together for life.”

“I can agree with that,” said the boy with a smile, which faltered a little when he said, “but Leyton is a pervert. Seriously, what goes inside that thick skull of his? I mean, he was basically flirting with those angels behind wife. It’s almost like—!”

The boy suddenly got a thought, and he let out an audible gasp at how the thought horrified him.

“Don’t tell me… that he cheats on her, on Skye?!” He asked desperately.

The older man was taken aback by the boy’s sudden thoughts and let out a sigh of exasperation.

“Where in the chapter did you get such a message or even an indication?”

“I didn’t, but I realised. That guy is clearly a pervert and from the way he was behaving with those angel girls, it’s not difficult to imagine that he might get tempted to double cross his wife,” the boy said fearfully. “Then what would become of Skye? She’s so cute, so innocent, and so fragile. What will happen to her because of that scummy perverted—!”

“That’s enough,” said the older man in a loud firm voice, drowning out the boy’s rant. As the boy went silent with a troubled look on his face, the older man went on to say, “What you’re imagining will not happen. I can guarantee that,” he said, but as if he suddenly thought of something, he smiled wryly and finished with, “or maybe not?”

“Maybe not?” The boy asked, looking troubled. “Which is it? Will he cheat, or will he remain loyal to her? Which is it! Tell me!”

The older man shook his head and replied, “No way. I don’t want to drop spoilers and ruin the story.”

“If what I fear comes to pass, then I don’t want to read anymore!” The boy stated firmly.

This made the older man sigh and say, “This is what I mean by overthinking, and I’m sure the author is expecting you to think like that.”

“What?”

“I told you since chapter one to not think too much about it and just read the story while enjoying what it offers. Once again, I tell you to stop overthinking because the author is trying to mess with your head. Relax, read the story, and enjoy it.”

The boy seemed to realise when the older man pointed that out, but he continued to look troubled.

“But still, I’m worried,” he admitted finally.

The older man smiled serenely at him and said, “Believe me. I should know because I… I know the story,” and he finished smoothly by winking at him.

Hey everyone.

Sorry for the really, really long delay in this chapter. You know how it is, you have life to focus on, and you have that really long story that you started 4 years back, that you really love and want to write more to (Phoenix Rising). So, when you focus only on that, you tend to forget about these stories that you started for fun. The same happened to me, so I'm sorry about that.

This doesn't mean my schedule for writing TCFAW (short form for The Couple from Another World) is back on track because I'm being busy in real life at the most unexpected times. So, what I can really say is that whenever I got free time, like today where I couldn't sleep and decided to write the chapter, I'll write this or the one for Magician Endeavour.

Anyway, thank you so much for listening to my rant, and I'll see you all in the next release! Goodbye!

5