Chapter 3 (A)
89 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In a hellish landscape on the continent of Verak

 

 

Thick volcanic ash blocked out most of the sunlight. So, the majority of vegetation was long dead. Rocky caves and igneous formations instead decorated the land. There were small pockets of lava dotting the landscape as well. In some of these pockets were powerful and nefarious creatures like Flame Fiends, dracoliches, lava serpents, fire wyverns, and succubi.  Adventurers looking for good fortune near the lava ponds would often end up becoming a snack for these hidden beasts.

 

In the center of this plane, rising about 14,000 feet into the dark clouds, a tyrannical primordial volcano loomed over the surrounding area. Made out of igneous obsidian it looked like a menacing sword stabbing into the earth.

 

Standing on the crater of this fiery giant were the figures of five humanoids.

 

Even a fire warlock would have a hard time standing this close to Ash Mons, so just imagine the challenge faced by the five figures standing near its lava-filled crater. The temperature of the sea of lava below them was at least 2500 degrees Fahrenheit, and the surrounding air was a choking mixture of smog and fiery ash—yet if one were to judge by the comfortable looks on their faces, they appeared to be right at home.

 

The three figures — two men, and one child — all bared a striking resemblance to one another. The most obvious commonalities being their shared good looks, piercing red eyes, and glowing crimson hair.

 

Standing ramrod straight with a cold yet determined look in his eyes, the childlike figure gazed at the boiling lava.

“You don’t have to do this right now Azven, there’s always next year,” said the man standing nearest to the boy.

“It’s okay uncle Raizell, I can do this” Azven reassured. ‘I’ll never waver in front of father’ he thought to himself.

The surrounding temperature near the pair suddenly skyrocketed as the rocky terrain beneath Raizell’s feet started to turn an angry shade of red.

“You would do well not to overstep your bounds Raizell” a deep and threatening voice rumbled from the other crimson-haired man.

“My apologies Lucian, it was not my intention” Raizell quickly apologized.

 

Upon his apologizing the surrounding temperature returned to normal.

“Then let us continue with the Grand Rite, Azven to my side“ said Lucian

“Yes father,” Azven said quickly walking over. Donning an elaborate gold robe Lucian stood closest to the edge of the crater.

In a booming voice that resounded across the plane, Lucian began to speak “Azven Xerxes Abaddon Khali von Drakul, son of Lucian Drakul Xerxes Abaddon Khali von Deus, the time of the Grand Rite is upon us, as our clan members have for generations it is time for the young to be fortified in the fires from below. Step forward.”

Clenching his sweaty palms Azven gulped hard and stepped forward on shaky legs.

“Azven At the bottom of this volcano blooms the Vermillion Rose, a rare natural fire treasure of the utmost potency, it only blooms once every ten years....”Lucian paused as he looked at his son, “retrieve it and make me proud” he said softly.

Poor Azvens’ heart skipped an entire two beats, stunned he couldn’t believe his father spoke to him so fondly. If he was scared before, all of that emotion had disappeared now.  ‘All I have to do is get that flower’ Reinvigorated Azven nodded to his father fiercely

Seeing the boy’s enthusiasm Lucian waited no longer.

“You May begin!” He exclaimed.

Taking one last gulp of air Azven squatted low near the edge of the crater. Focusing all his power into his legs Azven jumped 4 meters into the air.

Maneuvering his Lithe body towards the center he fell like a meteor straight into the volcano.

Though he was diving headfirst into lava, Azven was calm and focused. With closed eyes, he was focused on absorbing and circulating the rich fire mana to create a sort of thin membrane between him and the outrageously high heats.

Creating this membrane shield this quickly ordinarily wouldn’t be possible, luckily Azven's magical affinity was fire.

As he fell down the innards of the volcano his crimson hair danced wildly behind him.

Quickly he approached the lava, bracing himself for impact Azven maneuvered his body to pierce the lava hands first..

Like a spear, his body entered the hot gelatinous liquid.

Amazingly the thin membrane though slightly shrunken still clung to his skin.

Extending his magical sense out 3 meters around him he made his way deeper into the volcano.

‘I can’t believe I’m swimming... in a volcano’ he thought dryly.

‘I have to be the biggest dumba-‘ cutting off his train of thought Azven noticed a delicate crystalline rose sticking out of a rocky crevice to the side.

‘That must be it, I don’t see any other fancy roses down here’

Making his way over to the rose he licked his dry and cracked lips.

‘I have to hurry up’ he thought

Long obsidian claws grew from his nailbed as he made a slashing motion across the stem.

*SHWING*

The now loose rose was free for the taking. Quickly grabbing it he swam furiously to the surface’

His skin was lobster red and peeling furiously at this point anything left of the magic fire membrane had long evaporated. But his biggest concern at this point was one thing. Air.

Black dots danced around his vision as he furiously propelled himself out the lava.

Raizell having noticed the boy completing the trial uses his telekinesis to pull him up to the crater's edge.

At this moment one corner of Lucian's mouth perks up. Drawing the psi force from the depths of his mind he casts it towards his approaching son as a telekinetic push.

Azven felt all the breath leave his body as what felt like the force of a tsunami crashed into him.

“Why father?” his desert-dry throat croaked out.

WHOOSH

He looked Like a falling angel as he bulleted straight back into the lava. Horrified Raizell turned to Lucian anger evident in his glowing eyes.

“What is the meaning of this?!”

Grasping Lucian’s robes with tightly clenched fists he lifted him off the ground

“Are you trying to kill him? Stop this now!”

Lucian casts a disinterested eye to Raizell, clearly more focused on the lava

“No, little brother,” he says coolly.

A thick scaled reptilian tail suddenly emerges from behind his lifted figure.

Jumping back to dodge, but too late, Raizell is grasped by the strong limb.

Constricting his powerful tail Lucian squeezed his brother in a death grip.

CRACK ...CRACK ...CRACK

A smile graced Lucian handsome face at the sounds of three of Raizells ribs cracking.

Suddenly a flaming figure emerged from the lava.

Cloaked in flames as black as night Azven floated up towards the crater edge.

The flames coated every inch of his being, making him look like a deity casting judgment.

Everywhere he passed the space warped a bit like the flame was burning space itself.

Having caught the powerful magic fluctuations coming from his body the eyes of his father and uncle were trained on him.

Relief reflected in one pair of eyes and the other showed satisfaction.

“I-Is that? The flame of destruction?” stammered Raizell.

“Yes, the hallmark of our race as  Chaos dragons, Melzizs’ flame also known as the flame of destruction, able to burn anything above the heavens and below hell .” Spoke Lucian with a reverent look on his face.

Azven now floating before the pair -Vermillion Rose still in hand- with lifeless eyes  suddenly topples like a rag doll with its string’s cuts. Raizell quickly catches the boy in his arms.

“You, you knew this would happen...” said Raizell looking at Azvens pale soot-covered face.

“Take him to Ash Mountain, he is to start training immediately,” said Lucian while studying the Vermillion Rose.

Quickly wrapping the boy in a spare cloak Raizell looks up at his older brother.

“Lucian, he’s your son...” said Raizell disappointment dripping from his words.

“I’m aware of that, well now I am at least” Lucian chuckled.

“I have further matters to attend to here, but I hope from now on you’ll remember that as well” he added cryptically.

Grimacing at his healing ribs Raizell quickly grabs Azven as four garnet draconic wings 15 meters long extended from his back.

The powerful-looking appendages quickly flapped and flew the pair into the distance.

3