Chapter 4 (A)
70 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

'Falling... falling .... why ... father!'

 

Azven tossed and turned, abruptly waking with a start. Cold sweat clung to his pale and gaunt figure, his eyes were sunken and bloodshot. Glancing wildly around the room, he recognized this place.

‘I must be home’ he thought.

At that very moment, the door to the bedroom flies open and his uncle Raizell walks in.

“Here drink this,” he said handing him a cup of water.

Azven eagerly chugs the water down, only to feel wracking pains all over his body.

The pain having forced him on all fours Azven begins to vomit the water he just drank.

Feeling empty and weak but no longer in pain Azven collapses in a heap.

Raizell despaired, he thought the water would help.

Grabbing Azven he cleans him up and laid him back in bed.

‘Maybe that method would work...’ Raizell thought.

Gently nudging his consciousness with his psi power he roused Azven awake.

“Mmm mm ow,” Azven said gently awakening.

“Uncles gonna make it better,” said Raizell

The index finger on Raizells hand turned into a wicked claw.  Gently creating an incision across his hand, he drew blood.

“Here drink this, “he said positioning his hand above Azven’s mouth.

 

Startled by the self-mutilation Azven hesitated.

“Relax, our blood is a tonic for everyone but ourselves” Raizell explained

With that explanation Azvens, remaining doubts disappeared. Craning his neck up he allowed the ruby drops pooling in his uncle's hands to fall into his thirsty mouth.

Azven despaired at the thought of drinking blood, he knew the metallic taste all too well. But he was surprised to find he couldn’t taste at the moment, he just subtly felt the impact of the blood hitting his tongue.

‘Damn I didn’t think the damage was this bad’ he thought to himself

Eyes perking in surprise he studied what was going on with his mouth and insides.

They were making popping and sizzling sounds, but he didn’t feel pain or heat.

“It’s restoring what’s been destroyed by the lava and Melzizs flame of destruction,” said Raizell standing near the bed.

“You mustn’t tell anyone of this, to spill royal blood is a sin punishable by beheading and so is it to speak of the flame” he added grimly.

Azven could only vaguely hear his uncle's words he was lost in a euphoric high as his body was restored to peak (and possibly beyond) condition.

His pale and gaunt figure flushed to a healthy complexion, skin once again smooth and youthful.

His muscles and stomach filled out a bit like he just ate a meal along with his eyes and face becoming refreshed and vibrant.

Azven felt reborn, ‘Who would’ve thought our blood had such miraculous capabilities...’

He was knocked out of his musings by a pair of dress pants to the face.

“Freshen up and get dressed, we have a lot to do today,” said Raizell

“What’s on the agenda,” said Azven up and moving about

“Your mother wishes to see you, we must interview bodyguard candidates, browse training school options, and prepare you for your awakenings, as well as briefings on the outside world. Your father wants you to begin training asap”

Azven shuddered as complicated feelings arose within him at the mention of his father. He understood the ends, but did they really justify the means...? 

Rapidly approaching footsteps interrupted his wonderings.

“Sir! Sir! There’s been an incident in the mines!” said a panicked draconian guard.

“What’s happened?!” an alert Raizell asked.

“One of the slaves in charge of our most ore abundant sector exploded with ice, the sector is blocked, and we lost 50 human slaves” the guard explained.

“Mutiny?!” An angered Raizell questioned.

“There’s No way to tell sir I just got the report and came to you” the guard stuttered

Azven now fully dressed and ready to go wondered aloud “What’s in the mines?”

“Only our most precious economical resource, black gold.”

The mines of Ash Mountain were one of the only places in the world of Arreia rich in black gold deposits. The precious metal was worth a whopping 100,000 gold coins per kilo. Its preciousness was due to its rarity and formidability. No, other ore could match the durability and magical output capability of the mineral. Black gold was one of the supporting industries as well as a hallmark of the Ash Mountain dragon clan. As such any incident in the mines was to be taken very seriously.

“We’ve no time to waste, Azven I’m afraid our agenda will have to be postponed till after I sort out this incident, come with me,” said Raizell.

 

Hurrying along the pair passed through corridor after corridor of Ash Mountain castle. Lower and lower they went, as the mines were built under the castle. Unlike most other castles Ash Mountain didn’t have dungeons for obvious reasons. As they approached the entrance to the mines an industrious underground world presented itself before them. Slaves of various races were busy doing various activities some mining, some carting, some overseeing. The heat was a constant heavy reminder that they were miles underground.

“This way sir,” said a guard that led them to a huge cavern disturbingly cooler and emptier than the surrounding ones.

 

“Just up ahead is where it happened,” said the guard afraid to lead the way further

“Azven stay here,” said Raizell

“No, you said I was to start training immediately, what better training than hands-on” reasoned a resolute Azven.

“Ughh fine I don’t have time to argue with you. Stay behind me and do everything I say” said Raizell sternly.

Nodding his head in agreement the nephew and uncle pair made their way down the cool mine. Before even reaching the end they could see magnificent ice spikes protruding from the end of the mine.

‘So this is what they meant’ thought a serious Raizel.

‘Who...or what could have done this’ wondered Azven.

As the pair reached the end of the cavern and epicenter of the ice spikes they came across the body of a young man. He had Snow White hair and skin, making him stand out greatly against the dark ground underneath him. He appeared to be unconscious but otherwise unharmed. Carefully approaching the boy Raizell prodded him with both his psi and magic force.

 

Alive but barely ... only 13/14... Peak Beginner stage mage

‘This boy couldn’t have done this... unless...’

“Azven touch his skin” ordered Raizell.

“Huh? Me? W-Why?” questioned Azven.

“You wanted “hands-on learning” didn’t you” teased Raizel.

Ignoring his uncle Azven kneeled next to the unconscious young man and touched his forehead.

Hot .... very hot.

“He’s burning up,” said Azven.

“Just as I expected,” said a satisfied Raizell.

“This boy, as you can tell is an ice draconian, this much we can tell from his snow-white hair. What we can’t tell, unless we touch his skin is that he's suffering from a severe case of heat poisoning. As an ice draconian he should have never been allowed to work down here, he was a ticking time bomb” explained Raizell.

“Heat poisoning what’s that?” questioned Azven.

“Certain ice and water affinity magic beasts and sometimes humans, if exposed to heat for too long develop a condition known as heat poisoning. It’s when too much fire mana has permeated their body.”

“Then why is there ice everywhere?” gestured Azven

“In most heat poisoning cases in the last-ditch effort to purge itself of the fire mana the body will explode with its native affinity, however, this only brings the victim closer to death as that much power is too tyrannical for their body to endure,” said Raizell.

“I’m afraid this boy will soon be dead, a shame, he had some talent as a mage” Raizell solemnly added.

“But even more of a shame is the amount of time it’ll take to melt all of this, plus reorganizing the slaves and management, I’m afraid I’ll be occupied for the week, think you can handle your agenda alone?” questioned Raizell.

Looking down he was surprised to find out he was talking to himself as Azven was kneeling and focused on the soon to be dead boy.

As Azven studied the cold chiseled face of the boy he felt a tugging in his heart.

‘He’s not much older than me... I wonder if he knew he was gonna die...’ Azven wondered as that scene of himself falling into lava replayed in his head.

Shaking his head and clearing his mind Azven decided to save the boy.

“Well let’s go I’ll get some workers on this, ready to see your mum?” questioned Raizell.

“Not today Uncle help me make up an excuse to reschedule. I want to save this boy.” Said Azven seriously.

“ I admire your compassion towards the weaker species nephew but he’s a lost cause, just a slave-“ Raizell was interrupted.

“I’ve made up my mind already uncle so I beg of you please help me with this favor” Azven maturely requested.

Raizell carefully studied the young face of his nephew. ‘He’s really made up his mind on this...’

“Alright, alright I’ll cover your ass on this one. Just don’t take it hard when it dies” sighed Raizell.

“Let’s go, I hate the cold” he further added.

 

Ordering some guards to carry the boy to a guest room was a simple matter. Explaining to his mother

why he must cancel their meeting.... was a whole other ordeal, one Raizell wanted to put off as long as possible.

 

“What do you mean he isn’t coming,” Lady Mira said with a scowl marring her beautiful face

“Your Grace, apparently there was a miscommunication and the boy has slipped back into his coma...”

Lady Miras’ scowl deepened.

‘You wouldn’t be pulling a fast one on me would you Raizell’

“That’ll be all, you’re dismissed,” said Lady Mira.

Lady Mira's eyes glanced around her bedroom as she admired the opulence she lived in. Such wealth should only be afforded to those at the top of the food chain. Her eyes traveled to her floor-length windows at the end of her massive bedroom. Making her way over till she was so close her warm breath fogged the glass, she stared out over the domain she gained through fulfilling her role. Her reptilian amber eyes displayed complicated emotions as she turned away with a sigh, her fiery tresses covering her face.

To Be Continued...

2