Chapter 5 (L)
93 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

That next morning no one was up earlier than Lukas, not even the sun.

“Father come on get up! I need to go to the Great Forest this morning” exclaimed Lukas while pulling his fathers' sleepy figure out of bed

“Aye, I'm up, I’m up” James mumbled in reply.

“Keep it down will ya, some of us are trying to sleep” grumbled Mabel as she turned over, away from the noise. Careful not to wake the sleeping dragon, the pair departed from the cabin and headed towards the forest.

“Son, I know I said train and condition yourself but is waking up at this ungodly hour necessary?” yawned James

Rolling his eyes Lukas nodded in reply “I’m looking for spirit grass, and the best time to do anything is in the morning”

“Oh, the joys of being young” James replied, “What do you need spirit grass for?” he asked curiously

“It’ll be very beneficial to my mage training” Lukas admitted just as they reached the tree line.

The Great Forest of Noat was technically a forest within a forest. The first forest extended about 100 yards from the Great Forest and was much safer. Most of the time magic beasts were found in the Great Forest while regular beasts called the extended forest home. There was almost a visible boundary between the two as the trees that grew in the extended forest had regular dimensions. While the Great Forest trees boasted excessive heights and widths of their trunks, not to mention their distinct azure leaves. No one knew why there was such a stark difference between the two forests or how it came about. No one was sure how big the Great Forest really was and only some old monsters and lofty figures still remembered its true inhabitants. Adventurers and mercenaries would often head into its depths and never return. As such it soon gained a bad reputation and became a forbidden zone of sorts.  

Lukas and James quickly made their way through the extended forest as veteran travelers of this area they knew all the shortcuts. James made a living guiding group through the forest just as the men in his family had done for generations. At an early age, Lukas was exposed to many different types of people because James was a highly sought guide. His return ratio of groups to and from the forest was a shocking 100 percent. As such his shortcuts were the most efficient. After a few mins finally, the pair happened upon a giant tree with eye-catching azure leaves.

“Whew, we finally made it. Can we take a break now?” asked  James already plopping down to sit

Reluctance showed on Lukas’ face for a brief moment before he masked it with a nod. Unbeknownst to Lukas however James had noticed.

“What’s the rush? You got something planned hehe?” James asked whilst patting a patch of grass next to him

After plopping down next to his father, Lukas took a deep breath and explained his current circumstances. He confessed that he probably wouldn’t be able to become a mage because of his lack of talent in magic. That his only chance at greatness was now to become the first Sword Lord in the history of the kingdom of Noat. He also relayed that all of this relied on him finding spirit grass.

Throughout his son’s explanation James face was a picture of stoic solemnity. Several times questions arose in his mind. Like how could he be so sure? And where did he even learn of spirit grass? But he dares not give voice to these questions, at least not while his son was on the verge of visible tears. Right now, his job as a father was to support and console Lukas.

“Did you know that before your mother found you there was no chance, we’d have a child of our own?” James asked unexpectedly.

For a moment shock and surprise covered Lukas’s face before he eventually recovered and gently shook his head.

“We’ve been unable to conceive for 36 years. James whispered while staring absentmindedly at the tall trees. “I met your mother when we were 16, so you do the math… he added after a pause

W-why are you telling me this? Asked Lukas with a sniffle

“Because I need you to understand me and Mabel have pretty much waited our whole lives for you. These five years with you changed us into an actual family. There is nothing you can do that would make you appear any less in our eyes. You made us the proudest you ever could by coming into our lives” he added while wrapping an arm around the boy

“Now with that being said if there's still more that you want to accomplish to make yourself proud then like I said before I’m full steam behind you. Mage or knight, talent or no talent. Now let’s go and get this spirit grass to  make you the best damn knight Noat has ever seen.” James finished while pulling the boy up.

Luka felt a warmth that settled deep into his bones at James’s words. ‘There’s truly nothing like a father’s unconditional love he thought to himself. After being pulled up from the doldrums Lukas was energized and ready to go. He gave a brief explanation of what spirit grass looked like and the two made their way onward into the depths of the Great Forest.

As an expert guide, James never trekked into the forest without some insurance, and he wrapped it around his waist. A 2-meter-long broadsword that shined with deadly brilliance hung at his side. This sword had seen him through many a hairy situation, not just in the forest, but even on long roads with wolves and bandits. Each time he made it out alive though and he felt that it was due to this broadsword’s luck. He hoped he’d never have to use it in front of Lukas, but was ready if it came down to it, which is why he brought it along.

“There! Look!” whisper shouted Lukas suddenly

Quickly pointing his hand Lukas gestured to a small clearing that had a patch of grass sparkling with a cerulean brilliance. James quickly followed Lukas’s pointing and caught sight of the shimmering blue grass.

“Well that grass sure looks spirited to me hehe” James whispered back

Rolling his eyes Lukas made his way towards the stretch of grass James closely in tow. Quickly they reached the goal of their journey and began to harvest their rewards.

‘Selene never said how much to get…so I'll just get as much as I can carry’ Lukas thought decisively. The sun was still high in the sky and they found much more spirit grass than they bargained for. At this rate maybe my luck is turning around..., he thought with a smile

At that very moment, he felt a prickling sensation on the back of his neck. Lukas didn’t know why but this sensation scared the hell out of him, he’d never felt anything like it. That’s when he heard- no he smelt it first. Burnt bread. Then he heard it. The sound of rapidly approaching steps, heavy steps.

Whipping his head around as fast as he could Lukas looked for the uninvited guest. But James was one step ahead and was already face to face with the beast.

Towering over 1.5 meters tall in front of James was a menacing Lightning Liger. Lightning ligers were rare rank 5 magical beasts and were classified as one of the top mounts for knights. The beast had golden tawny fur that sparked with occasional arcs of lightning. As its name suggested it looked like a cross between a lion and a tiger but much deadlier. Menacing razor-sharp claws and fangs appeared ready to strike at any moment as the beast glared down at James.

As predator and prey studied each other the air felt thick with the increasing tension.

As predators and prey studied each other, James discovered something off.

Fully grown Lightning Ligers had two distinct striped tails. The first tail would be present at birth and Usually the second would appear once they reach rank 3. This one staring down James only had one visible striped tail.

‘This Liger..., could it be possible it’s a cub still’ 

 

Though this discovery didn’t help their chances much it at least assured that Lukas would be able to get away, and that was enough for James. With his back to the kneeling boy, James steeled himself and prepared for the inevitable.

“On the count of three, run,” he said never taking his eyes off the beast

“ n-no”

“One” James began counting

“Dad I-“

“2” James said as he began to circle away slowly

“Wait!” 

“3, run!” He said as he lunged away, with the Liger in close pursuit

 

James released a sigh of relief at seeing Lukas run past the clearings’ tree line. Now he had to buy as much time as he could...

 

With his fathers’ last command fresh in his mind Lukas took off into the forest. As he darted out of the clearing his tears trailed behind him.

 

‘Fuck! This is all my fault. Oh, Father!’ Lukas’s mind was a mess of self-depreciation and sorrow. His feet pounded the forest ground furiously. Eyes blurred by tears Lukas ran with no particular destination in mind. After running for what felt like a while, he kneeled over winded from crying. Between his sobs, he noticed the sounds of battle still reached his ears

*ROARS AND SOUNDS OF CONFLICT*

‘Even this far away. No, I can’t leave my dad. He’s giving his all right now, so I have too as well!’ Lukas thought determined

After changing his mind Lukas turned around and headed back towards the sounds of the battle...

 

 

He feinted and parried as much as he could, but James knew this was a losing battle. The little battle knowledge and tactics he had weren’t enough to take on a magic beast.

 

Tightly gripping the sword in his hand James swung once at the crouching Liger. Swiping its huge claws, it parried the blow, albeit slowly. James repeated the action and got the same result. 

‘There’s no way this thing is fully grown... only a child would play with its food like this,’ James surmised 

 

The Liger eyed James like he was an exotic dish, eyes full of calculation and hunger. It found the foods’ struggles entertaining but wanted to break its’ morale with a show of power. The beast puffed out its chest and delivered a mighty roar to the heavens. Visible electric sparks popped and sizzled on the golden fur.

“Hehe, an opening” James said while breaking out into a run

 

After Dashing dangerously close James slashed out at the beast. His sword would find its mark this time, landing with painful precision on the Liger’s exposed chest.

‘Ah, I actually hit it hehe!’ 

Being attacked like this by a human greatly pissed off the Liger. It no longer wanted to play with its food. With a guttural growl, the Liger swung its heavy paw at the still surprised James.

“Oof”

Caught off guard by the quick-strike James took a direct hit to the chest. 

A blunt pain so intense that James's heart skipped a beat spread through his torso.

WHOOSH

After being hit head-on James’ body rag dolled across the field before careening to a stop in front of a tree.

With its claws fully extended the Liger slowly approached the comatose James to finish him off...

3