Chapter 8 (A)
78 3 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Wakey wakey sleeping beauty,” Raizell said as he stared upon a resting Azven

 

Grumbling slurred words of reply Azven covered his head with a pillow.

“So, you want to do things the hard way eh?” questioned Raizell with a sly smile.

After puffing his chest out a bit Raizell exhaled a small stream of fire on Azven’s exposed feet.

 

Within seconds Azven was up rapidly breathing and wildly looking around. Only After noticing the smirk on his uncle's face did Azven relax a bit.

“There are less savage ways to wake me uncle” Azven said with sleep evident in his eyes and voice.

“True, but they’re not as fun” Raizell replied

“Ugh, why’d you wake me so early?” Azven asked while making his way towards an ornate dresser.

“I told you, we need to plan your training and future progression.”

“What happened to being busy with the mines for the whole week? Azven asked with an eye roll

“Your father took care of it,” Raizell said stiffly.

“Personally?” Azven asked while suppressing the sudden flutter in his heart.

“Of course not, just know it’s handled. Speaking of handled how did you handle the problem with that pet of yours” Raizell questioned as Azven finished getting dressed.

 

Azven visibly paled as he remembered Klaus in the guest room. It had been several hours since he’d last checked his condition. Quickly throwing on his leather boots he suddenly bolted for the door, shocking his uncle out of his jesting.

 

“Where are you going? Wait up!” Raizell called from behind.

 

The only reply he received was the sound of Azven heeled leather boots pounding against the marble floors just ahead.

 

After rounding the final corner Azven burst into the familiar guest room. Wildly looking around the room his eyes landed on the surprised figure of Klaus near the opulent bathroom. Following closely behind was Raizell who soon sported an equally surprised expression.

“You’re alive...” Raizell started while staring at Klaus.

Klaus’s pale face flushed heavily at Raizell’s words before he quickly dropped to his knees and brought his head to the ground.

“My liege, y-yes I am. Thanks to master Azven” Klaus admitted honestly.

 

Looking down at his strangely silent nephew Raizell arched an eyebrow in question.

“I see, how did you manage this nephew? I distinctly remember telling you he’d need several hard to find ice treasures to be treated...”

 

Azven hurriedly shut the door behind them before gulping loudly.

 

“Well I-uh did a thing” Azven explained “and it worked,” he said with a forced smile.

“Would this “thing” be a forbidden act punishable by decapitation?” Raizell asked through tightly clenched teeth.

 

“...Yes,”  Azven finally admitted with a sigh.

“...”

“...”

It was so silent you could hear a pin drop and the atmosphere suddenly felt thick and charged. Raizell stood opposite the pair of boys, his face an unreadable mask.

“As a member of this clan it’s my duty to report you-” Raizell finally spoke before being cut off

“But you won’t,” Azven said confidently “because you’re also my uncle”

‘Not to mention guilty of it yourself’ he thought with a smile.

 

Raizell was visibly taken aback and looked ready to retort before finally sighing in defeat

‘The little fuck is right... ‘ he thought to himself.

With his sigh, the perceptible tension in the room dissipated as quickly as it had come.

 

Klaus who had begun to sweat a bit finally released a breath he didn’t know he was holding

‘What the...’ he thought to himself

While Shifting his eyes to his little masters back gears slowly began to turn in his head

‘Why does it feel like master Azven was in control of this situation the entire time...’ he wondered to himself.

The uncle-nephew pair were oblivious to Klaus musings and instead had begun to discuss what to do next.

“Though I don’t agree with what you’ve done,” Raizell said while shifting a crimson eye in Klaus’s direction before continuing “we’re here now so what shall we do with it”.

His name is Klaus” Azven replied with a bit of edge in his voice “and I plan on making him, my bodyguard. You did say that was on our agenda?”

 

Having had his earlier words thrown back at him greatly annoyed Raizell. This little nephew of his was becoming more and more calculative by the day. No longer was he able to just tell him anything.

 

The nephew uncle pair gradually came to an agreement that Klaus would become Azven’s in school and home aid/bodyguard. He would, of course, need others for transport and when traveling in certain higher risk areas but Klaus would be his mainstay. In Raizell’s mind It worked out perfectly because they were of similar ages so he could enroll and stay close easily. Having Klaus around would lessen his burden of protecting Azven a little, not that he minded doing it.

 

“However, there’s one condition I will pose...” Raizell abruptly stated, “both of you must undertake immediate conditioning and rigorous tutelage before you’re to leave for training school”.

 

Both Azven’s and Klaus’s faces switched to an astonished expression at Raizell’s words.

‘I hate to admit it...but he’s right’. As we are now, there’s no way we’d last in any training school’ Azven thought after glancing at Klaus.

“Fine” Azven relented “but while we’re on the subject what school am, I going to anyway?”

“And what kind of training do you mean?” Klaus asked in a thick Northern accent.

“You have extensive options, ranging from studying abroad, home schooling, to local institutions,” Raizell explained “I won’t lie to you the training will be grueling, even more so for you ...” he said with his crimson orbs staring at Klaus

 

Klaus had a naturally stoic demeanor, after all, he’d lived through a coup, being sold into slavery, and almost dying from the heat virus. But Raizell’s words still greatly unsettled him.

‘Would I live through this? What if I become disabled? Will master Azven still need me?’

His thoughts raced a mile a minute though he didn’t show it on his face.

 

As if sensing his bodyguard’s discomfort at his uncle's words Azven spoke, “That’s fine, I’m sure Klaus can handle it. And I can take care of any serious injuries he may get” He finished with a slight smirk.

 

Suppressing an eye roll Raizell instead said with a sigh “I suppose that’s true, but do try to be discreet for all our sakes”.

 

“Yeah, yeah. What are the top local institutions?”  Azven asked dismissively.

 

“Local institutions range from barbarian schools, ones run by “allied” clans such as the Tannin, and of course the illustrious Infernal Institute” Raizell answered dryly.

 

“Ha-ha, uncle by barbarian do you mean warlock? And what’s the Infernal Institute” the boy asked

 

“Yes barbarians. They call themselves warlocks but, without beasts’ blood they can’t  be considered close to mages or magic beasts?!” Klaus  said suddenly.

“...”

I-I’m sorry master I’ve forgotten myself” he said prostrating himself

“Ha-ha well, you’re not wrong. Get up, lad.” Said Raizell helping Klaus

 

“and the Infernal Institute is the top institution of learning for magick and battle on the entire Verak continent, my boy. It’s also pretty much the only good thing to come out of our truce with those  barbari- I mean warlocks.” Raizell finishes.

 

Azven mentally weighed his options...

‘Well not like I’m left with much of a choice... The Tannin can hardly be called allies ...and I’d probably stand out too much in any warlock schools... leaving me with this Infernal place as my only option... I wonder if this is what father intended’ thought Azven

“I’ll go with the Infernal Institute. Where’s it at anyway?” He said with a sigh.

“Excellent choice! And in the heart of the mountain ranges behind the warlock kingdom of Estroya”

 

Azven’s face displayed a deer in the headlight’s expression. Recognizing his nephew was lost. Raizell made a mental note to up the severity of the scholastic tutelage after this.

“It’s not far, and it’s on the continent of Verak, master” Klaus added.

 

Raizell nodded at the boy pleased with his knowledge. “Yes, Klaus correct,” he said slowly while studying the boy

‘Hmm he seems a bit ... different’.

“Come here,” Raizell said suddenly taking both Azven and Klaus by surprise

“Uncle what is thi-“

“Shh shh” Interrupted Raizell as Klaus stood before him.

 

Klaus felt suffocated by the heavy aura surrounding Raizell. He didn’t feel in danger just uncomfortable with Raizells questioning gaze.

“Look me in the eyes” Raizell commanded.

 

Obediently following the order Klaus’s icy blue eyes met Raizells ruby gaze. After their gazes met a look of surprise crossed Raizells face before he quickly masked it.

“As you were,” he said dismissing Klaus.

 

Suddenly looking tired Raizell made his way to the bed to sit.

“Uncle what was that about! I won’t be dismissed a second time”

Sighing greatly Raizell looked past his agitated nephew and replied to Klaus, “Congratulations, it appears you’re now a pureblood ice dragon”

 

His words elicited a gasp from Klaus and looks of shock and disbelief from Azven.

“Uncle w-what are you talking about?”

Finally looking at his nephew Raizell casually replied “it’s simple, I’m guessing your blood had a far greater effect on him than simply curing him. It enhanced-no purified him”

‘I hope I’m keeping my composure for his sake, but this is just too crazy, no this shouldn’t even be possible.’ Raizell secretly thought

“What? How can you be so sure?” Azven asked in disbelief

“There’s only one race in all of Arreia that has frigid blue reptilian eyes and hair as white as snow...”

Azven has a sudden epiphany at his uncle's words

“The ice dragons of the north!”

“M-Master, I think I can feel it. I feel different, better...stronger” Klaus said as his eyes flashed from reptilian to normal.

 

Azven felt helpless in this situation. He didn’t expect things to turn out this way he just wanted to save his life. Granted him becoming stronger isn’t a bad thing but completely changing his bloodline was something he hadn’t intended let alone thought was possible.

 

“Uncle what now?” Azven asked worriedly

Looking down at the questioning gaze of his nephew Raizell chuckled humorlessly before hopping off the bed.

“What now? We jus-“he said before being interrupted by loud rumbling sounds, coming from the boys’ stomachs.

“Well I suppose we could eat first” he instead said dejectedly.

To Be Continued...

2