Chapter 11 (A)
52 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In Ash Mountain Castle on the Verak continent

 

Following Raizell and Azven, Klaus was led to a  grand and spacious dining hall located in the rear of Ash Mountain. As he was led throughout the castle, Klaus's first impression of the place was based on the sheer enormity of it. All its towers were extremely tall and large, to the point that it seemed some passageways went on forever. However, the only thing that overshadowed its enormity was its opulence. The smoothed stone walls were decorated with huge tapestries and stained-glass windows depicting various scenes of battles and dragons. The chambers themselves were well illuminated by lamps and torches adorning the walls in several areas.

 

The dining hall they journeyed to was spacious and befitting of a king. It was 11 meters tall and featured a magnificent table that was at least 13 meters long. Stainless white marble floors and grand gold-plated pillars caught the eyes of the former slave turned bodyguard.

 

“T-this is your dining room?,” he asked pale

“Dining Hall” Azven corrected him with a smirk.

 

Upon entering the hall two sets of staff immediately came pouring out of a pair of doors in the back that led to the kitchen area. While one set adorned the table with utensils, goblets, and a velvety scarlet tablecloth; the other set placed one mouthwatering dish after another on the table. Soon the entire castle smelt of roasted lamb, glazed pork chops, drake ribs, emperor cow milk, and various other rare delicacies. Once finished the servants all lined up and bowed in sync before dispersing rapidly.

 

“Well, I’ll meet you at the training grounds after your meal, do try to be quick though.” Said Raizell with a clap before his tall frame exited from the hall as well.

 

Staring at the delicious buffet spread in front of him Klaus began to drool and heard none of what Raizell said.

 

“Let’s eat I guess” said Azven as he sat in a high-backed chair at the head of the table.

 

Following suit Klaus sat in the chair to Azven’s right, directly in front of the sumptuous looking grilled War Boar. Wasting no time, he began piling his plate high with delicacy after delicacy. Azven on the other hand opted to finish each dish one at a time, with table etiquette befitting a prince. Klaus hungrily dived in after the first morsel touched his tongue, it would be no exaggeration to say this would be the best meal he’s had in years.

 

Azven noticed the voracious appetite of the young ice dragon and could not help but mentally take note of how much he could eat.

 

‘Heavens, were they starving him as a slave...’ he wondered but then ridiculed himself for wondering ‘who am I kidding of course they were’

 

Only After polishing off another 15 kgs of lamb chops did Klaus look up from his plate, making eye contact with his master. Sauces, juices, and grease-covered his hands and face as he looked up with a ‘deer in the headlights’ expression. Turning a slight shade of red, Klaus hurriedly looked away as Azven said,

 

“No need to be embarrassed. Would you like some more?”

Shaking his head Klaus declined while losing some of the flushed color on his skin. Looking around he noticed they were still alone, and it was deathly silent.

“Do you always eat in here?” He asked Azven

“Yeah pretty much since I was born” he answered straightforwardly

Pausing as he noticed the 12 other empty high-backed chairs, Klaus, further asked

“Do you always eat in here alone?”

His question seemed to echo on and on inside the giant dining hall.

Once the final reverberation of his question stopped Azven looked down at the neatly organized bones on his plate before answering lower in volume than before.

“Yes” suddenly perking up he corrected himself “but sometimes Uncle eats with me... when father allows it that is”, he added with downcast eyes.

‘Hm? he looks kind of sad’ Klaus mentally noted,

‘I should change the conversation’

“Hey uh which form do you like better?” Klaus asked with a scratch behind his head.

“How do you mean?” Azven questioned.

“Like your human form or your dragon one. I have no idea how to transform yet ha-ha” Klaus chuckled as he elaborated.

 

Azven seemed to pause for a second before answering the older boy.

 

“Ohhh about that, you see I haven’t transformed yet either,” Azven said honestly, “all I can do right now is this”

 

Raising his hands Azven displayed their backsides to Klaus. Before his eyes the nails quickly turned into wicked-looking obsidian claws.

 

“You’ve got to teach me how to do that” Klaus remarked with wide eyes, “but to be honest master I’m kind of surprised you can’t transform. I just assumed all pureblood dragons hatched as you know... dragons”

 

Azven sighed before eliciting a somber smile.

“Yeah I hatched like this. I’m kind of a freak I guess, my uncle thinks it’s like a puberty thing and that eventually, I’ll grow into a dragon haha” he laughed humorlessly.

 

“But my father... well that’s a story for another day” Azven said slowly getting up.

 

At the sound of Azven’s chair scraping the floor as it moved from the table Klaus seemed to snap back to reality.

‘This kid... he’s not simple at all’ marveled Klaus.

“Why another day? What’s he like?” Klaus further questioned.

 

Suddenly Azven’s heated ruby-red gaze captured  Klaus’s from across the table.

“I-It’s just out of curiosity” Klaus spoke quickly, “I’ve never gotten to see him and there are so many stories about how-“

“powerful he is?” Azven finished his sentence.

“...yeah” Klaus said after an imperceptible gulp.

 

The atmosphere and temperature in the hall seemed to drop at the mention of Azven’s father, Lucian. Klaus had never interacted with him even though he technically owned him. Stories from the other slaves about Lucian depicted him as a cold and powerful leader, who not many on the continent of Verak could best in combat. The fact that Ash Mountain had been prosperous and never attacked by other kingdoms for hundreds of years was a testament to Lucian and his family’s might.

 

Klaus’s question caught Azven slightly off guard but not for the reason one would think. He considered Klaus’s question to be a valid one. He just could not think of an answer.

 

‘What’s my father like...’ he thought as memories of him being rocketed into lava surfaced in his mind’s eye.

 

Azven’s clouded eyes stared nowhere in particular as his face displayed a grave expression.

After a stretch of silence, the haze in his eyes cleared and he seemed to come back to reality.

“I don’t think words could do him justice” Azven slowly answered “but I think I know a way I can show you instead. Come with me”

 

Klaus displayed a dumbfounded expression before heaving his heavy figure off the chair with a grunt.

 

The two boys were quickly walking down the velvet carpeted corridor, passing multiple doors to their left and right.

 

“Are we there yet?” Klaus questioned while touching his slightly bulging stomach.

“Almost...” replied Azven                                                                                                                

 

After another few moments of walking suddenly the rows of doors and hallways turned to rows of paintings, each more breathtaking than the last.

 

“Now we’re here,” Azven said stopping in his tracks in front of a painting much bigger than the rest.

 

“Uh master I don’t think I share your appreciation for the finer-“

“Shh look!” Said Azven gesturing upwards to the figure in the painting.

 

Crimson slitted pupils on a sinfully handsome face, haloed by fiery curls that met the gaze of the pair. Dressed in regal black gold armor of war and holding an equally menacing black-flamed trident. The figure in the painting looked like the perfect combination of savagery and royalty.

“Woah is that- He looks just like you!“ Klaus exclaimed with his mouth and eyes wide as saucers.

“Yes. ‘Tis’ my father Lucian” Azven said slightly less awed by the painting “but look closer.” He instructed.

 

Craning his neck upwards Klaus focused in on the smirking regent in the painting.

‘I can’t lie this guy is drop-dead gorgeous, I mean I’m not into men but- wait what’s that?’ Klaus questioned while squinting at the painting.

 

Lines and colors twisted, shades, and marks distorted as the pretty painting became something terrifying. Klaus could only stare in silent horror at the beast that was slowly taking shape on the canvas.

 

Thick armor the color of dried blood, four powerful-looking wings, and dangerous looking claws and fangs -all cloaked in black as night flames- became visible. But most distinct was the crimson eyes. Not only had they intensified in color, but they now seemed to possess some indomitable will. Like they were real!

‘T-This pressure’ marveled Klaus as he began to visibly sweat, ‘he’s got to be at the Magi level!’ concluded Klaus as tears streamed down his face as well.

 

Klaus suddenly recoiled as he hurriedly jumped away from the painting. Pale as a ghost and in a cold sweat, he gripped his rapidly racing heart.

 

“It’s a custom Darian magic painting. Created by the late famed Psylocke Gunns Darian.” Explained Lukas as he made his way to the shuddering Klaus.

“His paintings are famous because they’re said to visualize a piece of the soul of those in the portrait”

 

As Azven kept talking Klaus was still on the velvet carpet staring into space. He could tell his master was talking to him but as of now his mind was in a state of shock.

“You asked what my father was like. I hope this answered your question” said Azven as he stooped down and snapped his fingers in front of the bewildered Klaus.

 

Upon hearing the loud snap, the fog in Klaus’s eyes visually dissipated as he quickly wiped his face and stood up.

“Y-yeah I understand now,” Klaus said gravely.

 

Giving a small smile Azen nodded his head before beginning to speak

“Now let-"

“Oh good! You boys are finished I was just on my way to fetch you” said a booming voice from one end of the hall.

 

Sauntering down the hall with big strides was none other than Raizell.

“Yeah we’re ready to go to the training grounds uncle” Azven responded.

 

Raizell quickly closed the distance to the boys and gave them a once over, slightly staring at Klaus a bit longer before saying,

“Wonderful, let’s be on our way then”

2