Condensed Version of Book 1
256 6 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A forewarning: This spoils the entirety of book 1. If you are interested in reading all of book 1 with detail, then please see here: https://www.scribblehub.com/series/54937/zeroth-knight/


 

Condensed Version Of Volume 1

      Eve attempts to confront the person of her dreams, "Him," but is pulled away moments before they meet. As she passes between worlds, she experiences what she can only assume to be an extreme hallucination. Within it, she finds herself, or rather, parts of her body, forming the basis of the planets and stars. When she comes to, she finds herself in a strange world, having become the inheritor of the title, "Zeroth Knight."

      What follows is a whirlwind of events. They called it the, “Transcendence,” and it royally messed Eve up. But due to a genius known as Nina, Eve is able to pull through. But things aren’t always so good for geniuses.

      As Eve and Nina begin to talk and get to know one another, they’re interrupted by a woman on a mission. Charlotte Rodiger is sent by the King On High, to force Eve into a duel against a man named, “Fennis Haslothum” over a matter of honor.

      Fennis, you see, was meant to be the one to go through the Transcendence, as he was the First Knight- the highest ranked of the Knights Ten; and only he had the authority to request a duel with Eve- the Zeroth. For the rules are clear, upon relinquishment or death, the Zeroth will transfer.

      But things never go that easy, and the King On High is unable to strip Eve of the Title. What follows next, is a fight for power. Eve wished to rid herself of it, and Fennis wished to take it.

      During this battle, Eve remembered her past, and the tragedy that occurred. Rachel was Eve’s best friend, but ultimately fell off the roof in an, “apparent suicide due to have unreciprocated feelings,” towards Eve. But not everything was as it seemed, since within Eve’s mind, was a hint of an obfuscated memory that showed a darkness around Rachel before she, “jumped."

      This memory, and her desire to live a life of pride in memory of Rachel, forced Eve to give into the banging inside of her mind and released the powerful individual who resided there.

      Releasing the girl who comes to be known as, “Rei” allowed Eve the power she needed to defeat Fennis- for Fennis was unable to win even at full power against the might of Zero. This came at a cost, however, and his power backfired on him, ultimately allowing Eve the victory. But she refused to kill Fennis, instead, banishing him from the country in which this all takes place, “Arsea.”

      It is during this time, that she is once again saved from her life-threatening injuries by Nina. Due to all of this, Eve realized she wanted to be friends with Nina. But Nina was hesitant, for she has a secret… and that secret was what made most of the world hate her.

      Eve awakes that night, alone in the hospital after her fight with Fennis. Yet she was restless and decided to take a look around. When she arrived outside, she was confronted by a voice who exposed Eve to a terrible truth. The unknown speaker informed Eve that not only will the Zeroth erode others' perspectives of her, effectively making her someone else in their eyes, but will slowly erode her as well. She was going to lose herself, the voice proclaimed.

      Unable to resist, Eve gave in to her weakness, allowing the darkness to consume her. Yet before the process was complete, Eve discovered two golden eyes judging her from the darkness. Knowing it was not possible to resist, but refusing to allow the beautiful eyes to judge her as unworthy, she locked away the core of her being inside the darkness the eyes came from, in hopes of her core being strong enough to break free one day. And so she fell unconscious, while having the event all but erased from her memory.

      It’s during this wandering time that what appeared to be a dream started. When Eve met those beautiful golden eyes across the table, she knew it was as real as could be. For Eve declared this woman to be the Raven within her mind. Coming to be known as “Rei,” this woman spoke to Eve at length, largely in riddles, before dismissing Eve from that world.

      It’s when she awoke this second time, that Eve was introduced to Mimi, then later, Rose, and Kay. These are the Valkyries, the wives of the Zeroth. However, something was amiss as Eve began to realize that others were slowly becoming unable to distinguish her as a female, or even as “Evangeline Sayagawa.”

      Indeed, her very identity was being twisted in the eyes of those who saw her. She was no longer, “Eve” to these people and was, instead, simply, “Zero.”

      Yet even after a conversation in length with these women, Eve is unable to persuade them to believe that she was a woman. They dismiss themselves for the night, with a plan made for the next day.

      Seemingly alone, Eve takes a moment to relax in her solace, only to find another coming out to meet her. This sex-craved, black-haired vixxen, introduces herself simply as, “Gee.” The new woman immediately does what she can to seduce Eve, leaving Eve to believe that this newcomer must be another wife, an unfortunate perk of her cursed title of Zeroth Knight.

      Eve rebuffs Gee’s efforts, and learned that the woman is aspected to shadows- able to hide with them, and even read them in order to find a person’s hidden motives. After shrugging off Gee’s advances again, they both turn in for the night.

      Before they head out to the Academy, Eve decides to take a bath. Within the bath, Eve is pulled inside herself to find Rei. The riddles lead way to a confession from Eve- that what’s happening to her is breaking her. But Rei gives her word to always protect Eve because, no matter the form, Eve is Eve.

      When all is said and done, Eve finds the others eating, with a small surprise- Voltin, Rose’s child. After severely reprimanding Rose for the way she treats little Vol, Eve lets Mimi and Rose help take care of her and makes sure she’s presentable. It's during this set of events that the girls are able to, for but a moment, notice Eve for who she is. However, as fast as the surprise from the revelation came, it left, and their perceptions returned to as before.

      In search of answers, the girls all head to the “Academy,” an institution that only the best, and the richest may attendant for studies. It is here that Eve and co. stumble upon a murder-in-progress. But saving the man from his fiance comes at a price- Charlotte’s fate. For when Eve meets her again at the front of the Academy, with a wounded man in tow, sparks ignite between them that could light up the very sky itself.

      Unknowing of the significance of what transpired between them, Charlie ushers Eve and the others to meet Master Domnis- the, uh, Master, and head seat of the Academy. Eve makes a discovery at this time, one she assumed but hadn’t gotten to test, that the warping of perceptions extends beyond just the Valkyries and Charlie. However Domnis is perceptive enough, or perhaps powerful enough, to notice what’s happening and instructs Eve to pique his curiosity enough to help find her a way home; even if he can’t remember the specifics, he’s never one to ignore an itch of curiosity.

      The main takeaway Eve gains from Dom is the fabled, and later the recorded, history of the Zeroth. More surprising to Eve, was the revelation of the truth of the King On High. He was the immortal king that governed Arsea, in theory. In reality, an event of the past caused the King to withdraw from most of society’s dealings.

      Once Eve leaves the company of Dom, she makes her way to Nina. It's there that Eve caves under everything that has happened and reveals to Nina the truth of where she’s from. Nina is hesitant to believe her, but decides to try. She tells Eve she will spend the remainder of her life, if that’s what it takes, to find Eve a way home.

      Their good time is interrupted by the others coming to check in with Eve, only to find her hugging Nina. In their anger, they refuse to go out to eat with Eve, because she insists on bringing Nina with her. However, Eve is able to convince Charlie to join them, and so the three take off to enjoy a good meal, promising to meet the others at the station before the final train home.

      At the restaurant, Eve decides to ask a number of questions of Charlie and Nina. In doing so, Eve discovers the conditions to be a Valkyrie, a wife of the Zeroth, is to be what is known as a, “Vagar.” A Vagar is the best a person could possibly be in any specific profession. Basically, a Valkyrie has to be perfect at what they do, all so they may give it up, and become the wife of the Zeroth- destined to be nothing more than an instrument to produce the best offspring possible.

      During the restaurant’s pleasant dinner, and unpleasant conversations, Eve finds herself feeling woozy and decides to turn inward, and ask Rei what’s going on with her. She gathers little of her current situation, only that it was not Rei who had helped out before, at the skirmish before the Academy. It’s now, amongst butterflies in her stomach, does Eve return to the real word- and the scared looks of Nina and Charlie. Once again, Eve forgot that time passes in the real world, as much as it does when she is inside of herself.

      It is then that Eve realizes that the others have arrived, if only to make sure that Zero was safe. Finding that Rose felt guilty enough to drink herself into a stupor, everyone decides to break for the night, and goes their own ways- Charlie escorting Nina back, a change from earlier tensions, seemingly too much of one; and the girls headed back to Val manor.

      Time passes in a blink of an eye like this. Those endless, monotonous days go on and on, with only the addition of lectures and teaching from the Valkyries in order to learn more of the world. It’s only when Eve received sufficient learning, that they all decided to have Eve take a seat amongst those in the Academy, while allowing the Valkyries to return to their studies as well.

      Unable to sleep, however, Eve decides to wander around the outskirts of the manor and clear her mind. What she finds, surprises her. There, in a clearing, with the full moon bearing down on them, is Mimi - seemingly going through martial arts practices. Before long, Eve is forced to fight Mimi, as Mimi reveals a deep-seated hatred for Eve and what the Zeroth has done to change these women’s lives.

      Mimi proves to be too much for Eve, whom’s actual skills are left desired. Eve finally gives in to the beckoning of the power within her, offered by Rei. As she turns inward, she finds a world unlike the one she usually talks to Rei in. Instead of dank darkness, she finds Rei standing in an open field, with the wind at their backs. Eve finds this to be Rei’s world, Rei’s mind. It’s only through a kiss, that Rei finally gives in, and reveals some parts of the riddle to Eve.

      Rei has been protecting Eve from something, something Eve is not privy to. Yet even as Eve realizes that she is changing, the despair lays heavy on Rei’s heart. For the change within Eve, is exactly what she has been fighting to prevent. Yet change is coming, with no care for their feelings. Upon receiving some of Rei’s power, Eve finds herself back in the real world, with a very angry Mimi - one who had waited for twenty minutes as Eve dawdled inside of her self, or rather, inside of Rei.

      Following a sneak attack by Eve, Mimi has no choice but to continue their fight. Though the end result is largely the same, Eve is able to put up a much more significant fight, even landing a desired blow before Mimi defeats her. However, this forces a new tension to pass before the girls. Before Eve can question it, she passes out from the damage done.

      Upon waking in the morning, Eve’s body trembled in pain from the following nights antics. However, it confuses her, because Mimi had a chance to end Eve, and did not… despite having confessed to hating Eve.

      Mimi is a mess when she meets with the others for breakfast. Her depression is tangible, much to Eve’s confusion. However unable she is to understand Mimi’s state, their morning ends and they make their way to the Academy for classes. Mimi’s mood doesn’t improve on the train. As such, Eve forces comfort onto Mimi and she herself falls asleep with Mimi’s head in her lap.

      As the train comes to a stop at the central part of the city, Mimi wakes up and leaves the train, not much better for the trip. With her heart heavy, Eve leaves the train, guarded on all sides by the Valkyries. Their outing is quickly interrupted due to the guards passing them. Eve questions why they’re hauling in the man, who’s begging for his life.

      They inform the girls that he was caught mid murder of a number of people; however, the man swears he doesn’t know what came over him, and that he didn’t mean to do it. The guards give the girls a goodbye while they haul the guard off. It was odd, for his was the first of such acts, in decades. That kind of violence is rare, and it unsettles everyone.

      Upon arriving at the Academy, the girls make their way to Dom, who was unusually excited to meet with Zero. He dismisses the other girls, who agree to meet Eve for lunch in the school’s courtyard.

      Dom reveals to Eve, that his research into the Zeroth has uncovered no known purpose for the Zeroth’s existence. He promises to keep researching the Zeroth; though he doesn’t remember much of his interactions with Zero, due to the nature of the Title. He still senses something is amiss, and wants to get to the bottom of what it is that makes Eve so special.

      Eve leaves dom, to meet with Nina and discuss how Nina’s research is progressing. But this is only after her ambush by Gee. Gee reveals that Domnis sets up a barrier around his room to prevent others from learning of what he and Eve talk about. Gee is curious and wishes to know what was revealed, but Eve brushes her off to meet with Nina.

      Nina’s surprised at Eve’s unannounced visit and even more so about the news of Eve attending the Academy for classes, yet it doesn’t take long for Nina’s machinegun way of speaking to come out, and for her to reveal her hypothesis on how Eve came to the world. From what she can understand, there was a massive influx of energy that tore open a rift between their worlds, allowing Eve to fall through it.

      When they finish talking, Eve leaves to join the Valkyries for lunch. It is there, that Eve finds herself in a compromising position when she gives in to temptation and kisses Kay. When she pulls away, the others are mad, yet Eve tries to play it off and asks Charlie to give her some training with the sword later, after classes. Much to her chagrin, Charlie agrees.

      Once school is over, Eve makes her way to the training area to meet with Charlie. Only, she gets lost and winds up in the library. There, she meets a man named Kyle Bartholum. He’s the record keeper and maintainer of the library - a curt man who seemingly knows more about Eve than he lets on. Before long, Eve excuses herself to find Charlie.

      Charlie is pissed when Eve arrives nearly twenty minutes late. In her anger, Charlie doesn’t take it easy on Eve for her training. Indeed, she seems to get more and more aggressive and dangerous as time goes on. When Eve tries to explain to Charlie that she’s acting odd, Charlie reciprocates by pushing Eve so hard as to almost seriously harm her.

      It’s only with the help of Rei, that Eve is able to push Charlie back. However, Rei wasn’t done, and proceeds to chastise Charlie harshly. Rei forces her to confront what has set her off, making Charlie admit to the jealousy and sadness she felt at being blown off for Kay. Rei assures her that she will be better now that she has, “overcome what has threatened to consume your soul.”

      Rei’s words ring of yet another riddle Eve does not understand, but she has little time to dwell on it for she’s back in control of herself before she knows it, with a weeping Charlie in her arms. Once Charlie does calm down, she decides to leave; but not before being made to promise Eve another training session later on.

      Eve finds herself within a restaurant sometime later, to meet the others for dinner. Upon finding the boisterous girls, only Mimi contains a smile when noticing Eve. After an ordering of food, the others have time their disturbed by yet another scene of violence from two women across the room. The Valkyries stop Eve from interfering, once again remind her that the Zeroth is not one to interfere in the throes of the world.

      The mood is recovered quickly thanks to some banter and flirting, only to once again come crashing down when a passing crow outside calls Kay’s attention away from the group - she leaves. Eve comes to learn that this was actually the normal behavior for her before everything with the Zeroth started.

      Eventually things come to an end with the group arriving at the station near Val Manor. As they walk home they hear fighting, and see turbulent groups clashing with one another. Their neighborhood, perhaps their world - changes little by little.

      Suddenly, in mid night, Eve hears a sound coming from Kay’s room. Eve chooses to uncover if it’s Kay leaving again. However, by the time she leaves her room, the person is much further. As Eve follows, the figure marches. Before long they’ve arrived at a familiar solace within the forest. There stands Mimi, bathed in the glow of the moon. The mood is brought down to Earth when, with a kiss, Mimi asks Eve to spar.

      The tussle comes to a quick end, for Eve. With Mimi being the victor, she stands over Eve. The eyeful Eve is graced with lights something within them both. With an unspoken air of promises between them... and with heavy, bated breaths, they return to the Manor.

      Arriving at Eve’s room, events occur exactly as Eve dared to dread, yet dared to be hopeful for. Mimi is momentarily taken aback as the illusions of the Zeroth are shaken for just a moment by Mimi’s realization that Eve is a woman. Before such a thing can be confronted, Kay interrupts the two. The shock and the confusion of these feelings mix with the awkward feelings of Kay somehow leading Eve fainting.

      The morning comes along with dread of the day to follow such a night as before. Eve escapes into her mind to visit Rei. What she finds waiting, was Rei, a Rei, but not her Rei. This Rei greets her, teeth revealed under a scornful smile. The toothful smile reaches ear to ear, forcing Eve to retreat. With the walls of this dark world at her back, Eve is frozen in fear before a voice splits the realm. Her name flows from the lips of her Rei. Rei flows from above and lands, with the false Rei sliced in ‘twane.

      She isn’t able to get her grounds, or recover her mind before Rei is forcing Eve to run, telling her to leave this world. Rei promises to protect Eve against all that opposes her before forcing her out of the world, along with a sinister comment about “her” coming.

      Eve comes to, violently, in the real world. Rose happens in just in time to find Eve in a sorry state. She checks on Eve, only for Eve to return her kindness with a rejection. The world rejects Eve, and she succumbs to a faint feeling of rushing blood and nausea.

      Days go by, with none in remembrance, a time lost to Eve. She remembers, then forgets, and remembers again, only to remember that this time, she will remember it all. The loop, the cycle continues. It’s in these moments of lucidity that Eve realizes something terrible has happened, is happening.

      Eons pass, or perhaps mere moments; yet all the same, a tiny buzz flutters within Eve’s mind. Her name echoes within this trapped world. Someone calls for her. It’s warm and soothing, unknown and unreachable.

      It’s within this voice, lost in this world, that Eve forgets who those outside of her are - forgets whose tears are whose, and who they fall for. She becomes determined to follow a new path, to kill all who exist, for they are parasites.

      But as she loses all that she is, Rei appears within her and seemingly gives her life to save Eve, who vows that, though she is certain not to remember, she will fight harder for those who shed tears for her, and for Rei's sacrifice.

      Eve gains full consciousness for the first time since that night that almost ended with Mimi. All the Valkyries are there to greet her with tears before they all turn on Nina, and blame her for everything that has happened.

      Interrupting their squabbles, Eve asks and learns that the violence throughout the city has  escalated and just outside their manor, the guards are hauling away hooligans. The urge for true rest washes over her and at Nina's insistence, she sleeps, only waking once to hear Kay leaving the area.

      The following day, feeling one-hundred percent again, Eve attends class and decides to visit Nina during her first set of breaks. Unexpecting this intrusion, Nina finds some of her research papers scattering across the ground and landing at Eve's feet. Eve doesn't mean to, but key words stick out to her as she picks the paper up. This perks her curiosity, forcing her to read what follows: Notes on the events of the past few days, her death… and using the Valkyries in an experiment to further bind their souls to Eve in order to resuscitate her consciousness.

      Feelings of guilt and betrayal assault Eve, and she runs - her destination clear. She meets with Dom and finally informs him of everything she could, including how Nina was working on finding her a way home. She all but forces Dom to cooperate from that moment on in helping the ostracized Nina, in return for helping Dom with his own research in discovering who the Zeroth Knight truly is.

      Of course the day goes by with Eve's mind in a haze, wondering if her interpretation of Nina's research was correct, if she had truly died. She thinks on what it means to have had the Valkyries souls bound to her own, and decides to visit the library, to ask Kyle to help her research it all.

      After assuring Kyle that she means no harm to Nina, Eve is lead to a room with a book none have ever read and there, she learns of the history of Nina and why she is ostracized from polite society.

      Hundreds of years ago, Arsea was thrown into a civil war as the citizens demanded blood; their desires and deeds were twisted beyond the natural and the Zeroth Knight, as well as Azrael Von Vvesson, Nina’s husband, fought back and brought the war to its end.

      However, the peace was short-lived as Azreal was gradually twisted by the unknown force just the same as the others. That force was learned to be the product of creatures known as, “Beta.” These creatures twisted the jealousy within Azrael, which stemmed from the fame the Zeroth Knight carries.

      Nina turns on her husband and sides with the Zeroth Knight, binding the Valkyries souls to him, giving them all powers beyond their mortal shells. When combined with what experiments she did to herself, the women closest to the Zeroth Knight and Nina, were powerful beyond measure. 

      Little could be done in the face of fate, however, and though Azrael fell, so too did Zero succumb to his wounds… taking the bound Valkyries with him to death.

      Though recognized in her service to bring about an end to the bloodshed, Nina still carried too much responsibility for its origins and so was banished from polite society and was hated for generations to come - as her life would now be long due to the changes brought upon herself.

      The realization soon dawns on Eve that the author of this ancient text - from some three hundred years ago - was a distant relative of the librarian Kyle Bartholum. In a panic, Eve runs away to the training hall to blow off steam and fend off the the rising turmoil inside her mind.

      Hours pass in a blink of an eye, as Eve learns from Charlie - who watched over her for two hours. Eve hesitates in confiding in Charlie, but decides to discuss something else that had been weighing on her mind, her identity. In asking Charlie if she would miss her if she were to leave, Charlie replies with a kiss. Afterward, Charlie pulls Eve away to meet with her wives as they board the train home. Before they do so however, Mimi breaks up a standoff between Kay and Charlie, the former being angry at the insinuation Charlie proposes for why Eve was so late to catch up with them.

      However, as they all board the train home, Kay leaves without a word. Eve is unable to sleep that night as worry over Kay eats at her. Just before breakfast time Mimi and Rose bursts into Eve’s room to tell her of a royal being assassinated, and that breakfast was ready. Upon being left alone, Eve begins to change and only realizes Kay is there as she’s topless. To punish Kay, Eve pushes herself on her, resulting in a momentary realization in Kay, that Eve is a female. This scares Kay in a way Eve has rarely seen, causing her to run away.

      Later on Eve finds herself in the clearing she usually trains with Mimi at and lets out even more of her pent up frustrations on defenseless trees until she can no longer stand. A little later, she returns to the manor with Mimi only to learn that Kay has once again disappeared abruptly. It isn’t long before sleep takes her, and Eve awakes to find Kay sleeping on the sofa with her.

      Voltin, Rose’s son, comes crashing in before long and demands they play with him. Eve and Kay oblige him and spend their afternoon with him. It’s only later that night, just before dinner, that Kay slips out again and Eve decides to follow her. Kay’s destination was none other than a mansion of a noble. Upon learning this, Eve makes her way home in time for dawn. Just a moment afterwards a knock rings at the door with a postman carrying a summons by the Consulate at the Academy. Kay arrives shortly after, who is confronted by an angry Eve who demands answers once their business at the school has concluded.

      The city’s populace is tense; guards are posted at every street corner and the entire city carries a tense, near-tangible stress. As the group crosses the courtyard a giant, black flower draws Eve’s attention. An electric shock courses through her, yet does not hurt her, upon contact with the flower. The one within Eve’s shadow, Gee, screams and destroys the flower. Just then, all the guards in the area turn on the girls and attacks them.

      The battle is over quickly enough as nothing can stand against the combined might of the Valkyries. Dom and a hulking man quarantine the area quick enough and determine that the guards were Outlanders, belonging to the rebels who live in the one area the kingdom of Arsea doesn’t control, the Outerlands.

      Inside the Consulate for the first time, Eve is introduced to the Knights Ten, the ones in charge of running the country when the One King finds himself too busy to reign supreme. The First Knight’s seat was still empty as Fennis’ position was never replaced upon his banishment.

      Knight Two is Gableal Throughdon, the hulk of a man from before. Getting lost in her own thoughts, Eve rudely misses the next few knights and only comes back to her senses in time for Knight Six to introduce herself, Kagura Mitsuki. At the end of the line was Knight Ten, Talim A’skar. 

      At this meeting, they inform Eve that Fennis not only hasn’t been replaced, but that no one has taken over command of his troops. Ultimately, this means a significant portion of the kingdom’s troops have been doing nothing as everything slowly descends into chaos.

      Upon request, Eve decides what is to be done. She suggests moving all the current Knights up one seat and bringing Charlotte Rodiger in as the new Knight Ten. There are murmurs of disbelief at the audacity of bringing a commoner to such a level, but ultimately the Zeroth Knight gets her way.

      Afterward, Eve finally commences with introducing Dom to Nina’s research into her path home. Together, they vow to help one another for their own reasons, but ultimately it benefits Eve all the same. Following that, Eve decides to inform Charlie of what has transpired, wanting to be the one to break the news to Charlie first.

      Upon the lunch bell, Eve makes her way to the girls for some food only to witness guards flooding from the Academy into the streets. The group decides to follow to witness what is happening. A group of rioters stand at the gates clamoring about this and that. In order to prevent Eve from getting involved, Rose saunters towards the group of peasants and guards. Rose releases a power Eve had never seen and within seconds every guard and rioter lay collapsed but alive, including Rose. Instead of helping with the mess, Kay leaves the group much to Eve’s fury.

      Upon returning, Eve confronts Kay and demands an end to everything and she nearly gets it as a raven, Kay’s messenger, arrives in time to give her another target. Eve fights for the letter writ with a single name, a single target: Ninavin Von Vvesson. Immediately Kay attacks Eve, aiming to disable her. Eve manages to fend for herself well at first but is inevitably over taken and passes out.

      Within the darkness, Rei finally returns and warns Eve to awaken or else Kay will take Nina’s life. A moment is given for a hug between the two, and then Eve awakens and makes her way to Nina’s lab only to realize that the fighting she can hear is coming from the rooftop.

      A battle is raging and Eve involves herself only to eventually take out the bird that was giving Kay her messages. Amongst it all, Mimi and Rose find themselves on the rooftop and Rose’s power once again interrupts everything and Eve convinces herself that Rose is the Vargar of Ice due to the cold she keeps feeling.

      Kay falls to the ground with the now-frozen bird within her arms and Nina threatens to have Kay executed for what she’s tried and only relents with Eve’s pleading. A night passes with a series of events only for the morning to come and Eve makes her way to Nina’s lab and calls her out for coughing up blood despite not being hit. She then questions Nina about what she had read as well as the titles she keeps hearing: Silence, Moderator, Knight, Loyalty, Mother, Temper, Queen, and Scribe.

      Instead of giving any direct answers, Nina gives in to the lust that slowly twists her mind due to Eve and they embrace for a moment before Eve recovers herself enough to press for answers once again. Nina admits to being the one who destroyed every tome she could find related to the wars of the past.

      Nina also admits that Eve did die once and using the Valkyries’ souls to bring her back by tethering them to her using threads of fate that connects them all. Before the conversation can proceed further, the door opens and Rose catches the girls in a cuddled position, bringing down the ire of all the Valkyries.

      The Valkyries and Eve make their way to the nursing room Kay was placed in last night. She hadn’t moved or eaten in all that time. Later the next morning, as the women contemplate what to do, Talim shows up with a mysterious paper and left. Within its contents was the address to a building, an abandoned orphanage called, “Arcadia Orphanage.” Within its confines, the only thing of note was what looked to be a book.

      A book that, on later inspection by Dom, can’t easily be read. He explains to Eve what he knows of the events of the orphanage, Arcadia is better heard from Kay herself. However, Kay still had shown no signs of life and Eve decides it’s time for drastic measures to snap Kay out of it. Pulling Kay outside she shows Kay to a hyper Voltin.

      Kay has no choice but to play with Voltin and lessen her own depression. Kay threatenly tells Eve to meet her on the rooftop later that night. When they meet later on that night, there is no fighting the way Eve envisioned. Instead, Kay apologizes for how she had been acting. The women take a seat together and stare up towards the stars as Kay explains her past. At the orphanage, a man and his goons raided the place requesting that the orphanage mother, “Mah’lum” sell them their youngest children - especially the young women. Mah’lum refused. Having none of that, the man and his people kidnapped everyone they could and took Mah’lum’s life.

      Kay, who managed to escape, found the men celebrating a few days later in a local tavern. In an act of revenge, Kay sealed all exits and burned the tavern to the ground with that horrendous man and his people inside… as well as all the innocent bystanders and patrons of the tavern. Her complete disregard for taking so many innocent lives at the cost of her revenge gained the attention of a woman named, “Ame.” She was the leader of the Arkadastic Order, ArkO for short. They were the best trained killers and assassins in the world.

      It was only with Ame insistence that Kay left the Order to join the duties of the Valkyries. When Kay was able to reach out to Ame again, she was gone. Assuming she died, Kay lead her life with a somber cloud hanging over her head. But the raven, now frozen, was Ame’s way of assigning targets. With the bird active, so too must Ame have been alive.

      For a moment, jealousy rages through Eve at the thought of her Kay being in love with another. But upon figuring out Eve’s worry, Kay reassures her with a kiss. Their newfound passion doesn’t last long however, as they are interrupted by the city being set alite. When they meet up with the Valkyries and the rest of the top figures of the Academy, Eve and the others are told to return to their quarters while the Knights, including Charlotte, go off to quell the rebellion and put the flames down.

      This doesn’t set well with Eve but she is forced to deal with the inconsistencies of her title once again. She sits above all others with power to bring about change but is not allowed to act upon such desires as her place is to be an outsider. Even after consulting Dom, she finds herself no closer to an answer… with only the desire to run and find a way home remaining.

       Moving to Nina’s lab next, things with Nina are cut short as the walls of the Academy collapses around them and nightmare gains corporeal nature in the form of monstrosity from time immemorial similar to the beasts of Nina’s past. The Beta rages and its twisted, contorted form smashes Eve and blows Nina away. Eve’s body repairs itself - a gift of the Zeroth Knight title - but Nina needs no such thing as she releases power not seen in over three hundred years. Wielding elements as weapons she is able to bring the beast down successfully enough.

      As the beast falls, so too does Nina. Her life seemingly ends for a moment before the breath of the divine returns to her. Yet a happier, and all together worse, set of events follow as Nina reveals a ring, a gadget she invented to help take Eve home. However, it requires a concentration of aether that the natural world cannot so easily offer and so Eve comes to a crossroads. She must leave now if she wishes to finally return home, but she is given no time to say goodbye to the others. However, at Nina’s urging she finally takes the leap and dives through the portal to the one place she has dreamt of for so long - home. In doing so, Eve would sever her binds with the others, allowing their lives to return to normal now that she was no longer around to manipulate their fates.

      Except when she arrives, the world overloads her senses and she’s forced to rest in a park. It’s only when she awakens later that she realizes she’s laying with her head in a Gee’s lap. Gee had somehow came to Eve’s world with her as she slept in Eve’s shadow.

      Eve decides to head home with Gee in tow only to be met by her grandfather who harbors many emotions for Eve. Sadness at having missed her, happiness of her return, and anger of the secrets that Eve can never reveal. Ultimately he lets Gee stay there with them, who is more than happy to come on to Eve. She allows it, as usual and yet realizes that without the Zeroth Knight’s influence, she no longer “feels” for the woman. She learned that six months had passed in her world whereas over a year passed in Arsea.

      In the morning, Eve decides to practice her kata, her martial art forms, only for her grandpa to find her. He’s confused over where she learned the style she now knew and yet once again Eve cannot speak the truth.

      Eve returns to school and tries her best to act casual but her, now, more suave personality is used to calm the teacher down and to divert questions related to whereabouts the past six months.

      On the roof of the school, Eve converses with Jamie and realizes there is a memory at the forefront of her mind just out of sight that she can just about reach. She ponders on it while having Jamie explain the events of the day that led to Rachel’s death once again. She realizes a darkness had hidden itself from her that day. It clung to Rachel as she screamed about the situation not being what Eve thought it was as she threw herself off the roof.

      Later on, Eve inquires about the status of “Him” to which Jamie seemed confused. She didn’t appear to understand who Eve referred to. Deciding they should catch up, Jamie offers to cook Eve dinner that night. As they headed toward her home, a roaming group of people warn the girls of the coming of Gehenna. Such an act scares Jamie to bits and Eve tells the group off.

      When they arrive at Jamie’s home, she heads to the kitchen to cook as Even rests in Jamie’s room. In doing so, she allows her mind to wander between thoughts of Rei and how much she missed her.

      After laying out the food, Jamie informs Eve of a story she wanted to speak of. The story was long, detailed, varied, and discussed a girl from Jamie’s past. That is, a woman named Rei that she met at the river behind the school. For years the two shared conversations - mostly from Jamie’s end - until Eve’s name was finally brought up. After that, the two girls’ time was wholly consumed by the topic of Eve. This was some of the happiest times Jamie ever had, times that ended when Rei upped and disappeared the day Eve was taken to Arsea.

      The conversations of the night ends with Eve once again asking about “Him” and once again Jamie not knowing who she was referring to.

      At school the next day, Eve finds herself oddly popular. From Jamie’s teasing, it seems it was because of the sudden aura of charm, and her killer athletic abilities attracting everyone. Between classes, Eve decides to check out the town’s library; for what? She did not know.

      But once there, she is greeted by a kindly old man who offers his assistance. Not knowing what to research, Eve blurts out the first thing that comes to mind - Gehenna. The old man is more than willing to show her to the section related to old-world mythologies and religions. When they arrive at the area in question, the old man dismisses himself after giving up his name… “Bartholum.” This startles Eve, who finds herself alone when she turns around. Could the name have been a coincidence?

      The books on the subject of Gehenna tell of old stories from a different time in human history and ultimately makes Eve question the goodness inside of herself. Furthermore, they remind her of a conversation with Rei in which she spoke of existing, but in another world. Could that have been the truth, and that all people could possibly exist in separate worlds?

      That night, as they lay in bed, Eve discusses the book with Gee who dismisses it disinterestedly.

      The following morning, her grandfather reveals the truth of Eve’s origin. She was not the birth-child of her parents. Instead, they had found her simply laying on their bed when they came home from their honeymoon. They decided to raise her as their own. Likewise, her grandfather carried a message he heard as a child, and figures it was meant for Eve. A woman with yellow hair spoke as thus: “The one you are searching for is where it all began.”

      At this, Eve and her grandfather both knew Eve’s destiny would take her away again… and they both knew this would be the last time. Eve gives her grandfather her love and tells him goodbye. Her destination was where it all truly began; the place she sought with the person she sought, was the market square she was heading towards when Arsea took her.

      Just outside the house, Gee argues with Eve about returning, trying to prevent her from doing so. But Eve refuses and acknowledges what she had done, she had abandoned the people she loved most during their hour of need and she would return to them.

      However, it is not “Him” who she finds there. Instead, it’s Rei. However, something was off. It was a girl whom she cared for so, but the girl did not know of Eve except by the stories Jamie had spoken of. Rei informs Eve that she is Rei, but not the Rei that Eve knew and that all people existed multiple lives in multiple worlds, confirming Eve’s earlier theory. They exchange sudden feelings for one another, and portals open up all around them. Eve knew that despite the feelings for the virtual stranger before her, that the person she loved most was awaiting her return in Arsea. But who was it that had captured her heart so? Each girl flashed across her mind and she realized the truth. She knew she had to return and so gives this world’s Rei a final farewell before sending herself through the portal back to Arsea.

      Only, things are not as peaceful, were they able to be called as such, as when she left. Eve arrives just in time to join a battle between guards and rioters. She fights with all her strength, meeting each of the Valkyries and Charlotte in turn. Fate decided to never end her cruelness towards Eve as none of the women recognized her. Indeed, they spoke of the Zeroth Knight being elsewhere, holding off the Eld there. The Eld where humans turned by the monstrosities of old, the creatures that almost took Nina from her: Beta.

      During this time, Eve finds Nina just in time to see her at the mercy of Beta. Her attempt at intervention worsens the situation and Eve receives wounds that don’t seem to heal nearly as fast as they did before. Seeing Nina in pain, all she wanted was to save that girl. Yet all the Valkyries were being pushed to their limits as well. With all hope lost, Gee makes her appearance; Eve believes her the saint, the savior. Little did she know... the sinner, the slayer was before her.

      Gee destroyed Beta as she approached Nina, and proclaimed herself for all the world to hear. Her name was as such: Gehenna, Queen of the Beta. With one fell swoop of her arm, Nina was beheaded. A rage and sorrow never before experienced by a mortal erupts from Eve, bathing the world in white.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please heart the chapters, follow me, comment, rate, review, and share!

I have a short story drama about a woman being kidnapped and used in experimentations to rid the world of all diseases, with light yuri and supernatural undertones: here

Share the story if you think it's good enough. If you've come all this way, please rate some stars and leave reviews guys. It will help encourage other people to take a chance with the story and get to know this wonderful journey with us. Also, there's a Discord for the "Zeroth Universe" if anyone wants to join and hang out to talk about the stories, theories, or just general fun chats with us!

https://discord.gg/f3Bc4TR

13