Goodbye, Sweet Prince
111 4 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Goodbye, Sweet Prince

      I look on at Rei as her form loses existence, and starts to go transparent. I look back and forth between Kyle and Rei. Her ominous message about stories… it grips my heart tight. But now is not the time for yet another mystery. I’m about to lose her again.

      “Rei… I don’t know if I can go on with one of you missing.”

      She cups my cheek, rubbing her thumb over my lips. “You have these… women, for better or worse. They are no substitute for our destiny, but they will serve you well, and allow you to live out the last of your life to happiness.”

      “Rei… are you the real Zeroth Knight?” Rose questions her.

      “I am as close to the “Zeroth Knight,” as you call it, as you can get. But eons have passed from my time to yours. The Title has taken on a life of its own at this point. It follows its own path, seeking to right the wrongs it has experienced. My soul is merely that which powers it, gives it consciousness. I am the one whose thoughts and memories and heart have possessed each and every one of you. I am alive within all of you, as no matter where in existence Eve can be found, so can you all. I question how this came to be.”

      I pray that the others either haven’t realized she doesn’t know the full truth that Loyalty spoke of, or are smart enough to not say anything. If she hasn’t learned the entire truth after all she has been through, there has to be a reason. And the reason is likely because of her story… and mine, and the Beta. Likely, I’ve made sure not to sadden her in such a way.

      The others don’t bring it up, and instead, continue asking questions. So many questions eat at Rei’s time- time that should rightfully be mine. But you know what? I don’t find much of an issue with it. After all, Rei is as much mine as the others, and she has a lot of time to make up for. Rei talking pulls me from my own thoughts.

      “You all have to understand what the Zeroth really is. It is a special Title, with a will of its own, yes. But it is so much more than that. To be Zero, one must only believe in themselves, and the future they can create. Look at Fennis, after all. He was never meant to wield the Title. And he paid the ultimate sacrifice for it.”

      Mimi kicks at a rock, Rose twirls her fingers, Kay casts her eyes elsewhere, and Charlie continuously clenches and unclenches her fist. As for me, I can understand. Fennis was all kinds of bad that could be in a person. But he was still something important to all of them for so long. Well before I arrived, he was the First in the Consulate, the heir to the Zeroth Knight Title. After I returned home, he carried on that title and in his own way, fought to save everyone. In the end, for his beliefs… he gave his own life, his own existence.

      “I think it’s time for us to scout ahead.” Rose tells the others, and drags them away.

      “She still has that overly sensitive nature, ne?”

      “ ‘Ne’ ?” I ask.

      “Heh, a tick from yours truly.”

      “Baka.” I use a very old word from my world.

      “Jerk.” Hers, a more modern insult.

      “I met you, you know… in my world.”

      “But another spectre of Reimiel, The Fallen Raven. Reimiel, The Traitor Of The Seraphim. Reimiel... The Void Walker. Yet another spectre… of the knight who vowed to save her girl. All different stories to be told.”

      She wraps her arms around my waist and pulls me close. I can see the background through her now. “So this is really it, ne?”

      “It is. But we will meet again. We always do.”

      “Rei, I think I love you.”

      “As you are, you might. But you have to forget about me for a time, and love the ones still with you.”

      “I do.”

      “Way to be a woman killer there, Eve. Making me jealous.” Her squinty eyes look dangerous, especially when accompanied by that bulging vein on her forehead. I giggle and settle my hands on her hips.

      “I love them all. But I wanted to let you know, regardless of my memories, I have come to love you too.”

      A blush creeps across her cheeks and settles on her ears. Her golden eyes bare down on me. The pressure is reminiscent of our time together in the void of my mind.

      “Any tips to defeat Gee… Gehenna?” I ask her, but she’s seemingly infatuated with nuzzling into my neck.

      “I’ve missed being able to hold you, so, so much.” She pulls her head up again and meets my eyes. “Just be the best you Eve. That is the only way to take the bitch down. But I have faith in you. My girl will never lose to evil.”

      “What if she isn’t evil?”

      “Kill the bitch anyways. She’s the reason the Beta exist.”

      Pain stabs at my heart. Why has she never figured out the truth? Why, after eons, have I never told her about reality? There must be a reason… “I will do what I can Rei.” I lean in and kiss her. She smiles into my kiss and pulls me closer. Her form is close to fading for good. My hands that once rested on her lovely hips, drop to my side. Her lovely countenance fades into a beautiful, golden dust as it is carried away by the wind.

      “Be seeing you, my love.” Her voice echoes from an unseen realm. My tears paint the debris below me. I turn to look at Kyle, he wears a look of compassion.

      “I’m sorry… I really am. But as you cannot be anyone besides who you are, neither can I. The story is recorded. Her farewell will live on forever. I can not help against Queen. But I do wish you the best. Even as the world turns against you, I will hold my little flag for you.” He bows to me, and disappears.

      Scribe… the eternal writer. What tales does he weave with that quil of his? What has his books seen? What do they show? As Rei said, more stories for another time. But here and now, this story approaches its end.

      I turn to see the group of women that have come so far with me, standing on a hill with a dour look. When my eyes meet theirs in turn, they each offer a smile. Even at the end of the world, it is our bonds that define us.

-----

Share the story if you think it's good. Please rate some stars and leave reviews guys. It will help encourage other people to take a chance with the story and get to know this wonderful journey with us. Also, there's a Discord for the "Zeroth Universe" if anyone wants to join and hang out to talk about the stories, theories, or just general fun chats with us!

https://discord.gg/f3Bc4TR

13