Is This The End?
153 4 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Is This The End?

      Gee’s form fades into dust, as with Fennis, Rei, and so many before, the wind carries her away. I want to believe that for each of them, the wind never stopped and carried them straight to the sky. I want to believe they’ve been spread out through the universe, and that maybe they too can be granted the right to form the basis of stars.

      Scooping up what dust remains in my hands, I let each finger fall open and watch as my tears mix with it. They too don’t last long, as they fade into the void between worlds. The hardship I have passed onto Gehenna… onto so many, has taken its toll. I can see why, now, I chose to lose my memories each time. This heartbreak would be too much for anyone to handle.

      I feel a hand on my shoulder and turn around to see Charlie smiling at me. “It is done, Eve.” I place my hand on hers for a moment before scanning the area.

      “I don’t think it is. Perhaps it never will be.”

      “Well, you say that, but there is nothing left here. As far as we know, it’s just the five of us left.” Mimi interjects.

      “You may make that six.” Kyle comes out of nowhere. Kay stares daggers at him. “Easy. I come bearing news, good news at that. Most of the remaining army that was on the ship? I managed to save most of them before all this. They are safe, and with the remains of the Outlanders. Our world will go on.”

      “You say that as if you are part of this world.” Rose quips.

      “I am as much of this world as any of you. I may know my duties, but I know not what the… ‘me’ from above knows. A fate we all share, ‘twould seem. Cheer up though. Humanity isn’t extinct.”

      “How did you know to save anyone?” I murmur.

      “I write the stories; well, I record the events as stories. That makes it easy, at times, to figure out what comes next.”

      “You aren’t allowed to interfere.” I protest, thinking back to Nar.

      “In each our own way, Eve, we are all fighting against the authority. Now, come.”

      I look over the girls at their excitement of a new dawn. But I know all too well… “I can’t come.”

      Panic ensues over the group. Their voices all ring out at once. I hold up a hand to stop them. “We all know, where I am, the Beta come. This world can’t take any more Beta. There is nothing left to destroy. There will be no recovering from more.”

      “But Eve! We have to have a life together before you can leave!” Charlie takes my hand and kisses my knuckles. “I love you, Eve.”

      “Charlie. Stop it. You sound like you’ve given up. That is no way to behave. This is insane. I am not letting my woman go like this!” Mimi latches on to me. I pet her head, taking in the warmth of her being.

      “I will miss you all, so, so much.”

      “You’ll forget.” Kay looks everywhere but me.

      “I won’t. Not this time. I’m done running away. This is a strategic retreat to buy you all the time to have lives of your own, even if it means little in the long run.”

      Rose kisses my lips, before pulling away. “Do you promise to always care, to never give up on love?”

      “I do.”

      “Do you promise to stay stubborn, and defend those who need it?” Charlie asks after dropping my hand and giving me a kiss.

      “I do.”

      “Promise to never withhold the words others need to hear?” A gentle kiss crosses my lips. Kay is still inexperienced, but it adds to her charm.

      “I do.”

      All eyes turn to Mimi, her beautiful amethyst eyes carry a deep sadness. Her purple hair hides her eyes. She nods, seemingly to herself, a few times, before looking up at me, tears pouring down her face. She gives me a toothy grin, one full of hope, of love. “Do you promise to always, always, always give them hell?”

      “I do.”

Share the story if you think it's good. Please rate some stars and leave reviews guys. It will help encourage other people to take a chance with the story and get to know this wonderful journey with us. Also, there's a Discord for the "Zeroth Universe" if anyone wants to join and hang out to talk about the stories, theories, or just general fun chats with us!

https://discord.gg/f3Bc4TR

11