Epilogue/Prologue
235 10 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Epilogue/Prologue

      I step out of the portal with one last wave, telling my lovely wives goodbye. Oh, and Kyle. I told him bye too. But he felt as awkward as I do now, watching that exchange. But what can anyone do? That was a special moment for us. We made our vows; we cemented our bonds.

      I look out towards the world before me. I’m standing atop a hill, miles around me lies a city. In every direction, I see life. In every direction, I see a new story.

      “I knew you would be here.” I look up, admiring the quad suns in the sky. They paint a beautiful purple-pink hue across the sky. Laying across the mountains, their ice-capped peaks twinkling for the final time.

      “When did you figure it out?” The man asks, stepping from the shadows.

      "It was easy to figure out, once I realized everyone else was turned, but you were nowhere to be found."

      The man clicks his tongue. “And you kept your memories this time. That will make this a lot less fun.”

      “Talim A’skar, who are you really?” I turn, and gaze upon the bronze-skinned man. His chipper demeanor from the Consulate, nowhere to be found. He still carries that mischievous smile, that twinkle of being up to no good in his eyes. 

      “Me? I don’t know.” Something in my gaze makes him take a half-step back. “Down girl. I truly don’t know. I’m here, and I don’t obey your rules. In fact, I think your rules are fucked up.”

      “You’re the one who set Gehenna off her path, aren’t you? You’re ‘Him’ from the beginning of all of this.”

      “Ah. I was hoping you’d never remember that part. But you had to have been given a reason to leave home that day, to arrive where you did. Had you not interrupted Fennis’ Transcendence, none of this may have happened. Queen may have never betrayed you.”

      “Why would you do all this?”

      “Why? Because it’s funny. To think, in all of existence, I am the one being outside your control. The one variable you cannot account for. Imagine all the fun you’ve had, that you can’t recall. Now imagine the fun you’re going to continue to have. Doesn’t it make you jump in joy?”

      “Then I’ll kill you now.”

      “Tsk tsk. That isn’t an option, my Lord Evangeline.” He snaps his fingers and, with a puff of smoke, he settles behind me.

      “I could kill you now.” He runs his fingers down my neck. I turn to swat him away, but he ends up behind me again. I don’t bother turning around this time.

      “Then why don’t you?”

      “Because my moniker doesn’t suit such a thing?”

      “You can’t have a Title. I assigned those.”

      “Jester, at your service. Though the favorite amongst my many names, you may call me Loki.”

      I turn to punch him, expecting him to have disappeared. To my surprise, he hasn’t. But my punch lacked the intended effect. He merely faces the side with my fist buried deep in his jaw.

      “One day, perhaps, my Lord. But that is not this day. For now, I must away. It seems you have another guest. You are so popular.”

      He turns to leave, stops, and looks back at me. “Remember, Evangeline, I will be with you forever.” His smile twists, his eyes glow a faint, familiar red. By the time I blink, he is gone.

      The bushes beside me rattle, and a wisp of yellow stands out amongst the sky-blue backdrop. A moment later, a familiar bonnet appears, followed by the girl in question. My heart beats loudly in my ears.

      “Nina!”

      She gives a shy wave.

      “It seems you’ve opted to keep your memory this time, my Lord.”

      “Nina! Please! I’m Eve…”

      “Ah, yes. That was your designation last adventure, wasn’t it? Eve it is.”

      “Nina,” I call out to her. I reach out and pull her in. “What’s happened to you? Where is that smile I missed so much?”

      She leans up and hugs me. “I am here, Eve, but I was afraid to be myself. I couldn’t believe that you truly kept your memories. You’ve never done that.”

      Relieved, I sigh. “So, Moderator, what is this story?”

      As she begins to speak, I realize one important fact. One, some would say, tiny thing. I remember that across all of our time together, I never told her what I needed to say. I never did what needed to be done. I wrap my arms around her waist and gently pull her up some.

      My lips rest on hers. She hesitates for a long moment before returning the kiss. But when she does, it feels like she’s putting all of our lost time into it.

      "I love you." We both echo at once. Surprised smiles dance upon our lips.

      “So, ‘Moderator’ what is this story about?” I ask as we break away. She swats me for calling her that again.

      “Well, we officially have to expect the unexpected with the arrival of this ‘Jester' person. But you see…”

      And that is how it all ended. Well, how this story ended. Was it sufficient for you? Looking down on us, reading our personal thoughts, determining our actions. You may be this, “Observer” but you are full of it if you think that makes a difference.

      For now, I’ll go along with your games. But as I proved with Gee… I can resist you. As time goes on, I will become even stronger. I will suffer through countless infinities if that means ending all of this and bringing peace to the lives I’ve sworn to protect. You may rest now, Observer, enjoying what is to be.

      But never forget this one thing:

      “I’m coming for you.”

So concludes, "Zeroth Knight re: Dawn" and the Evangeline Sayagawa "Zeroth Knight" tale as a whole. Evangeline Sayagawa's story has ended, and yet there is so much more to it. But that is another story, for another day. For now, I want to give a huge thanks for a couple of people who have made everything possible for me:

@dusk2597 had the biggest role ever in helping me come this far and I couldn't have done it without him.

I also owe a lot of my editing and a lot of the Beta (see what I did there?) reading to a special woman on Twitter: @OliviaCastetter

Last, but certainly not least, I owe a massive round of thanks to all of you. Each and every single one of you has made this worthwhile and has ensured I will continue writing for a long, long time, even if I am never the most popular out there. <3

Charlotte's origin story, where she is from, and how she was pulled from her world and became the vessel for the "Knight" moniker is my next work. To stay up to date, to help beta-read, or to simply offer feedback and advice, please see the Discord link below, or hit me up here on Scribble Hub, over at Royal Road, or even at Web Novel.

Until then everyone, keep playing your roles for the Observers.

Share the story if you think it's good enough. If you've come all this way, please rate some stars and leave reviews guys. It will help encourage other people to take a chance with the story and get to know this wonderful journey with us. Also, there's a Discord for the "Zeroth Universe" if anyone wants to join and hang out to talk about the stories, theories, or just general fun chats with us!

https://discord.gg/f3Bc4TR

 
10