(Chpt. 15) Collecting things in the wrong way (4)
4.3k 27 95
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hope you all enjoy this chapter, the last one and this one took around 6 hours to write since I truly had no idea how to go about them. I like the result so I hope you all do as well.


“So tell me, collector-girl. How long have you been working?” She was oddly menacing. "HOW DOES IT FEEL TO STRIP PEOPLE'S LIVES AWAY?"

 

I decided not to reply, she simply clicked her tongue and placed her hand on her waist. “Once I am done with you, he comes next! I don’t care anymore! Do you know how much I’ve struggled?! How much I’ve lost? No⁠—YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA, you are just an ignorant brat that thinks the world will continue on! That’s why you are standing here, right? You said so, you want to experience things, RIGHT? Let it be known that experiences are not always good.” 

 

I gulped once again. She was serious. “Well, not like you would understand… So⁠... I will make you understand!” She lunged herself at me, she was slow. Seeing it coming I graciously moved aside and yet… My sixth sense was screaming at me! It was unsafe!

 

[Error.] 

 

I tripped down the floor after the question mark on my vision palpitated, I guess that was my title doing work. As I glanced up, I saw a metallic glint swing just where my neck was. I would’ve definitely been dead there… 

 

“Tch, why you!” She impulsed the dagger aiming for my neck, I rolled on the ground getting out of her way, the dagger dug into the wooden floor. My title had saved me once, my senses had saved me twice… Was I really this dependent on things to survive? It was sad, to be honest⁠— and yet I still wanted to survive. 

 

“I ought to admit, you are very impressive…” She was panting. “But, it’s not enough!” The dagger was finally removed from the ground. “You call me miserable and yet you aren’t any better yourself! You are just a hypocrite!” 

 

Her roar echoed in the room. 

 

“Mom…”

“Mom that’s enough!” 

 

In spite of her children telling her to stop she still approached me with her knife-dagger, she was visibly tired. I knew⁠— I didn’t have the strength to keep her still, I was going to die if this kept up. The collector was nowhere near to be found, and knowing him he would probably let the fight go on for as long as possible. 

 

“If it’s like that then…”

“Less thinking!” 

 

She took the opportunity to swing at me, I managed to evade her but I got a minor cut on my arm. My black blood started to spill out, the kids were speechless and the woman had become stiff. 

Now! I threw myself at her, making her tumble into the ground and coughing. If it had to be like last time then… 

 

“Now what, girl? You don’t have a weapon.” She said as she prepared herself to stab my back, I could tell. "Your little party tricks won't work on me twice." And yet, I was willing to do anything for the sake of surviving. 

 

CHOMP! I bit her arm, the one that was holding the knife. She squealed and yelled in suffering as I saw two icons pulsate within my vision, a needle and a broken bone. I might be weak, I might depend on my titles, but I will come out on top! I don't want to go through the same suffering again!

 

Like an animal I proceeded to keep biting her, she was powerless. Every time I bit it crunched and she screamed and twisted trying to free herself from me. It was ineffective, and yet, I kept biting. I had to make sure, I was practically a wild animal, was it my nature? Perhaps, but I wasn't going to let what happened last time happen one more time! Some more bites and she became unresponsive. 

 

“Ha…” I let out my breath seeing she no longer was struggling. I looked at her and…

 

Ding! 

[System alert: You overcame a life or death situation. +3 to all stats!] 

[Your foe has fainted.] 

 

Ding! 

[Unique title acquired: Feral Instinct ⁠— Perhaps you understand your true nature more than anyone else. +100% Agiltiy -30% Endurance ⁠— Unique

 

“Maybe I wasn’t the strongest, maybe not the most resilient… But I am still standing here, before you.”  Raark to Sansan ⁠— the last emperor of the Death empire.]

“Ha… shut up stupid system…” I muttered in annoyance, my whole body was tense. I was feeling heavy and tired. “At least it’s ov⁠— Cough!” I spewed blood out of my mouth, I guess I wasn’t in such a great condition either. But why was this happening?

 

I heard footsteps come into the room, but nothing else. I closed my eyes to get rid of the horrible feeling I was having inside my stomach, it felt as if something was completely wrong. I kept coughing and coughing, the heavy footsteps came closer. 

 

“Tch…” I felt as if my gravity was gone for a second, no⁠— I was being carried. “I guess it’s my fault, I should’ve told you — You are in deplorable condition, your body cannot handle rash decisions, or fighting for that matter.” 

“Sorry cough!” Aah… there I go, making mistakes once again. The collector pushed a vial into my mouth, and of course. I desperately drank it, I guess he also carried some around… I genuinely felt thankful. 

 

As soon as I drank it, I didn’t feel as pained, and could actually see things around me, the kids had no reaction, or rather, they simply were speechless with wide-open eyes. 

 

“Well, it’s time to call it a day.” He said as he stood up, I was still on his shoulders. He started to walk away as he carried a bag in his hand. I guess he was collecting that. 

 

“I hope she dies!” The younger one of the two cried out towards me. 

“No, what are you saying Matt!” The collector stopped in his tracks and looked at them fixedly. Those soulless eyes of his were truly inhumane, they weren’t akin to a predator they were just an abyss. I had difficulty looking at him, for a kid, I had no idea how they would handle it. 

 

The kids started to uncontrollably shake and one of them ended up peeing on the ground. The collector once again clicked his tongue and continued walking as he held me with a single hand, I felt as if I owed him my life. At this point, I did owe it to him… And yet… all he asks for is work, how long will it last? Was I just placing myself in an endless loop?

 

The kids said a few more things and looked at me with a predatory look, I was feeling guilty… 

 

“Did I do the right thing?” I asked out of concern and in seek of reassurance.

“It’s simply part of the job, casualties happen.” I guess…  “Although there is no right or wrong, you need to learn that.” I already knew that… 

 

He sighed. “But, you did well on not dying. Good job on keeping her away from me while I collected. You did a fine job as an assistant today.” Ha… 

“... Thanks…” He was turning kind of friendly, which I appreciated. But there was still that weird vibe of awkwardness to him. 

 

I ended up falling asleep on his shoulder. For some reason, after exerting myself a lot I always ended up fainting/incredibly tired borderline passing out. I did know that that wasn’t normal, made me wonder what was the reason, but I would find out soon enough. 

 

Before I realized it I ended up in my bed. 

You know what would be nice for me? A bed, my bed is calling me... Editing takes quite a bit of time, and it doesn't really help that I had just written this chapter, so it's hard to spot errors and add onto things. Sorry if there is a drop in the writing quality. 

Discord

Confidence is...
  • Security. Votes: 35 13.0%
  • A part of our personality. Votes: 33 12.3%
  • Knowing you can still order dessert. Votes: 201 74.7%
Total voters: 269
95