(Chpt. 28) The path that will forever close
1.9k 7 57
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Unedited

Also, the chapter just got auto released even though I never clicked on publish. Whew, kill me already. I hope it doesn't get flagged down by the super nice chapter thing. That basically makes it not show under recently releases.

“You wanted to know more about districts.” His voice carried a questioning tone, but it was so cold and so solemn that I honestly couldn’t tell. I hadn’t even mentioned districts to him. 

“Well… I⁠— 

 

He interrupted me. “When you go collect on your own you will need to know this.”

 “Right…” It wasn’t even a question to begin with. More like; listen carefully

 

“Leah, what time of the day is it?” 

“Pff…” I don’t have a watch. “It’s em… Mid-day?” I second-guessed myself as I saw the sun right on the center of the sky. Essentially burning every living being with hatred, no clouds, no nothing. Just the scorching sun burning every single thing it could; everything that was at its grasp it would destroy. I didn’t like sunny days… Well, they were nice sometimes… 

 

“Close enough.” We continued walking; receiving a  few curious gazes along the way. “So, around this hour the best sector to collect is District C and B.” 

“C and B?” Well, what were those districts? Where were they even? 

“C, it’s the middle-class district. People that don’t struggle with their wage but aren’t exactly well-off either. This normally fits Gatherers and Processors as well as store workers.” 

 

“And… where is district C?” I mean, I had to learn, right… ? 

“That’s not what you should be asking,” he reprimanded me. 

“What about district B?” He smiled. 

“You are learning.” 

 

After a pause to breathe. “District B compromises the high-class. The affiliates and business owners. Some Processors and Fighters are here too.” Eh. “Your friend TH1 is at the very top of the food chain. Albeit, he would be considered Ruling-class.” 

“Ruling class?” I mean, I didn’t know this was like a deputy party or whatever. 

 

“The high-ranking affiliates are ruling class.” How specific. “You got everything?” 

“Well… One thing… Where do the rest of the Fighters and Collectors fall?!” 

He smiled yet again. “Surprisingly sharp, I see.” 

 

We continued walking under the scorching sun as he made his mind to try to explain it. 

 

“Collectors would stand in the high-class. But, generally, they don’t have a long life expectancy. The town has been a thing for…” He murmured. “And most of the collectors have already been replaced. There is not enough data to put them inside a group.” Oh. “Same thing happens with fighters.” He shrugged. “Such is life, move on or die, simple as that.” 

 

I didn’t answer him instantly, his voice had changed tone when he finished. Probably a touchy subject or something he simply found unpleasant, I was surprised he was so open to answering so many of my questions, to begin with. 

 

“Nothing more to ask? There is more.” I guess he was testing me. I quickly recapped over our conversation. District B and C, their demographic and… what time was it? Why ask the time? 

 

“Why is B and C the best sector at this hour?” He smiled yet again. 

“Collectors can break into people’s homes through orders, and frankly the district C is the most hazardous to deal with. They are people that have life experiences and people that have stats. I am sure you know better than anyone that people can’t be trusted.” I nodded awkwardly. “As soon as we reclaim town property hostility comes. Better to do so while there is no one.” 

 

“So basically… You play the bandit but legally?” 

“Basically.” He smiled. “It can be pretty fun once you get past the screams and crying.” 

“Eh…” Wait, is he serious or joking?! The only thing that moved were his lips but his tone didn’t change! 

 

“Regarding district B. Well… rich people don’t like getting hurt, they also have a lot of money and very rarely need recollection. Of course, one would think that everyone would pay their debt on time, but you know how society is.” He sighed. “Oh wait, you don’t” 

“Eh?” What? 

“You’re a core.” 

 

“Right…” I totally didn’t have any prior knowledge before this or anything. It’s not like I have been understanding your categories and stuff! Not like I care or anything… I wish I could be appreciated. Well, such is life… 

 

“Question.”

“Hm?”

 

“Do I get paid the same as before?” He smiled. 

“Even more, last time things went awry, but now since you have a grasp we might be more efficient. More things to collect.” Ah right.

“I met another collector from another branch.” He nodded. “He said he barely got requests.” 

“Ah, you don’t need to worry about it. Leah, you are an investment, meaning you always come Branch-heads are generally the most sought after people. And since our branch is the S tier one, it also means we get a lot more requests.” So many things to ask… 

 

“So… S tier?” 

“The most reliable in the city.” O-oh! 

 

We continued walking, and I realized something. 

 

“Wait… if we get so many requests why did I get so much time off?”

His eyes widened for a second, almost as if it was an unexpected question. It probably was. While I wouldn’t say I was cynical, people here based on the little I saw acted out on their own interest. 

 

“You are not a total slave. Besides, if I force you around you might die, all-things-considered.” 

“Right…” I wasn’t allowed to die after all… It’s a promise after all… 

 

We continued to walk as I tried to come up with more questions to ask. I mean, since he was answering basically everything I should use it to my advantage. I mean, how often would he answer my questions? How many chances did I even have to ask him things? Although I don’t ever remember having my question declined… 

 

“What about the other districts?” 

“A and D?” I nodded. 

 

After a sigh, he opened his mouth to do some more talking. 

 

“Well, A… There is very little if at all things to Collect in A. Since it’s only as big as the plaza itself, it’s the very core of the city and it boils down to businesses and other things.” Oh, so it’s irrelevant? “The only people that have to worry about that one are Processors.” 

“Ah…” I still had no idea what a processor actually did…  I mean they processed… just like the Collectors collected.  

 

“And for district D. Well, we have been near it. Namely the outskirts of District B, which are still pretty much D.” 

“Right.” You can just call them district D… 

“Unfortunately everything is divided by quadrants, so even if the quality of life in people at the outskirts is bad, it is still a middle-class area. In spite of costs being akin to a lower-class area.” 

“That’s stupid.” 

 

“Agreed. District D is the lowest of the low, usually people that have to do community work. Have no home, or simply live in deserted houses. We rarely have to go collect there, but… if we do. Look out for poison.” 

“Eh?” Wait, so… “They are the deadliest?” 

 

“Not quite. People that have nothing will do anything.” … True… 

 

“What about a city map?” He thought for a second. 

“You will get one in the future, now we need to collect.”

 

A shadow blocked my vision as he stopped. 

 

It was district B yet again, but it seemed a lot closer to the plaza; the houses were a lot nicer. I kind of wondered how things actually worked? I mean, I’d assume district A would be quite small. District B seemed huge though... 

 

We stood before a house. It was nicer than the rest, made out of some smooth sandstone and a nice garden outside. Wooden door with stained glass windows. It looked fancy in every sense of the word and yet… why was it that this place was screaming death at me. 

 

I unconsciously took a step back. 

 

“Ooh, so it’s one of those places?” 

“Those places?” His voice was genuinely excited. For the first time ever. 

 

“Leah, it’s payday. And it’s all yours. It will serve as a learning experience — just remember, whatever you see or do inside. Stays inside.” HIs voice was stone cold as he sent the house a murderous gaze. 

I gulped. He was serious. 

 

57