III. Anitra’s Dance
17 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The door creaked slightly as she opened it. Her brother’s room was tidy and orderly, everything neatly in its place. The only outlier was the mass of sheet music strewn about in front of his bed, where he’d set up a chair and music stand. He had been playing a slow piece of music when he heard his sister enter. He stopped playing his instrument as she slowly stepped towards him, looking distraught. “What’s the matter, sis?”

 

Tears began to form in her eyes, and she looked down in sadness. “M-mommy told me I had to stop watching TV… I want to keep watching, though…” 

 

Her brother smiled gently and patted her head. “Maybe mommy just wants you to play with toys for now. You know she doesn’t--” He was interrupted by his sister, who was suddenly excited with a new idea. 

 

“Will you play toys with me?” she asked enthusiastically. She was practically vibrating with energy, fueled by the thought of spending time with her older brother.

 

His face fell, and he slowly shook his head. “Sorry, sweetie, but I can’t. I have to practice my violin right now.” The smile on her face began to drop, but he quickly responded. “Look, if you find some toys, and be a very good girl, I’ll let you play in here while I practice. Okay?”

 

She grinned and threw her arms up, cheering as she ran out of his room. She found her favourite dolls and stuffed animals, and little by little she began to load his floor with many different toys. Her brother was true to his word and continued practicing, repeating songs and motifs over and over. After a while, she began to hum along with his music as she played, and soon enough she became bored of her toys, and began asking her brother question after question.

 

“Why are you playing the same thing again?”

 

“I’m doing it so I can get better at it.”

 

“That’s why you play the same songs again, too?”

 

He chuckled. “Yes, that’s right.”

 

“What’s the stick you’re holding in your other hand?”

 

“It’s my bow.”

 

She giggled, and ran to her pile of toys, digging through them before she finally found it. She triumphantly held a plastic bow and a plunger-tipped arrow above her head. “This is a bow!” She fumbled with the arrow, notching it on the string, and shot it toward her brother. Her aim was not true, however, and it lightly hit the side of his desk to the right. They both laughed, then a bit of a silence hung in the air. Finally, with her hands behind her back and looking a bit shy, she asked, “Can… can you teach me to play the vi-lo-lin?”

 

“Do you promise you’ll be really gentle with this?” He held his instrument up, and she nodded eagerly, curiosity covering her face. He leaned forward and ruffled her hair. “Hop on my lap. I’ll show you how to play the violin.”

1