[Chapter 131] Free and Random are Better than Nothing
234 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

While Lauren was panicking, Alex and the mad scientist were only bothered by the sirens a little. It was only when they left The Hut and heard what Lauren was saying about the sirens that they got worried.

“That is quite… disconcerting.” Alex said as he and the mad scientist approached the shaken Lauren. “Are you really sure that a Class SSS Threat will be coming in here?”

“I am 100 percent sure!” Lauren replied, with her face wearing extreme frustration in it. “Do you guys even know where these threats come from?”

“Well, we only have limited knowledge of it.” Alex shamelessly replied as he and the mad scientist just stared at Lauren expectantly.

If Lauren could just show her helplessness right now, then she could have already done so. Unfortunately for her, she had no possible avenues to let it all out.

“You all, ugh!” Alex could see Lauren attempting to pull her hair out, as if she was extremely irritated by what was happening. “Ok, just let me explain it quickly here!”

“We’re all ears.” Alex said as he and the others started to adopt listening poses.

“….” Lauren adjusted her costume a little before she started talking.

“Sometimes, a Superhuman’s ability just becomes too much of a threat to many innocent people. Regardless of the intention, there will be incidents that will result in tragedies. When… these threats become too much powerful, they will have to be labeled in different levels, from Class F to Class Z. Each Class will mean different levels of danger, and in actuality, only Classes from Class S to Class Z are considered to be serious issues.”

 

“How ‘dangerous’ are the ‘serious’ Classes anyway?” Alex said as he heard what Lauren said. “Are there any thresholds for these ‘serious’ Classes?”

 

“A Class S Threat indicates a City Destroying Threat. A Class SS Threat will mean a State or Provincial Destroying Threat.  A Class SSS Threat indicates a Country Destroying Threat, while a Class Z Threat will mean a World Destroying Threat.” Lauren said in a span of one breath. “We are facing a Class SSS Threat, which if left unchecked, will have the power to destroy our country!”

 

“….” Even if Alex was not yet seeing this Threat, he already knew that it was bad news for him.

 

“That threat is bad news indeed.” Alex muttered to himself as he started to walk backwards. Given a choice, Alex would not want to stay here and fight that threat. After all, what could he get from staying here and fight? Virtually nothing!

 

Alex looked at the mad scientist, and he saw that the mad scientist seemed to be thinking of leaving too.

There is no doubt that the mad scientist will leave now, with her body language indicating her eagerness to leave.

 

However, before the mad scientist and Alex could make their moves to leave, both of their Guides suddenly perked up, as they seemed to have received an important information.

 

“Alex, you will love what I just received!” Asteria said as she gave Alex a cocky smirk.

 

Before Alex could realize what was going on, the dumb  fairy let out a contented sigh as she said,

[BONUS MISSION: Defeat the Class SSS Threat, and live to see the next day. Completing the Bonus Mission will reward the Traveler 10 Years of Lifespan, and a Free Randomized Superhuman Ability. Failure to finish the Bonus Mission will not mean anything negatively to the Traveler.]

 

“Oh goddamit all!” Alex swore as he heard what Asteria just said.

 

“Why is my Bonus Mission like this?” Alex wailed inwardly as he realized that there is no way that he will just let go of the opportunity to gain a Free Randomized Superhuman Ability.

After  all, the cost of the Real Superhuman Ability was around 50 Years, something which Alex cannot afford even if he finishes the Bonus Mission.

Even if its Randomized, getting a Superhuman Ability here is way better than not getting one at all.

If it was before, Alex was just fine not getting any Superhuman Abilities at all.

 

But the information that Alex had about the Pantheon made him realize that he needed some Superhuman Ability too if he wanted to obtain that Legacy that he was looking for!

For Alex, acquiring the Free Randomized Superhuman Ability will be his ticket towards his plans!

“Because of that Free Randomized Superhuman Ability, I have no choice now but to help on finishing this Bonus Mission.” Alex thought to himself sourly as he glared at Asteria.

 

Alex then looked at the mad scientist, and he realized that she seemed to have received the same Bonus Mission as him too.

With the rewards of the Bonus Mission, there is no doubt that the mad scientist will also stay here to fish some benefits.

“Hehehe, now our Truce will be of much help here.” The mad scientist said as she gave Alex an excited smile. “With both our teams working together, this could be a piece of cake!”

“Piece of cake?” Lauren suddenly said as she glared at Alex and the mad scientist. “Do you even know what you will be dealing with? Do you know the kind of threat that will appear here later?”

“……..”

 

Before Alex or the mad scientist could reply, Lauren continued talking, but this time in a faster pace.

“Before, Class S - Class Z Threats were very , very rare. It was only when a certain supervillain appeared that everything changed.”

Alex then saw Lauren wearing a somber expression on her face as she continued talking.

 

“This Supervillain was called the Monster Emperor, and his power was to create extremely powerful Monsters, with these Monsters varying in power, ranging from Class A to Class SSS! Overall, Monster Emperor has a Class Z Level of power! With him and his monster minions, Monster Emperor was able to bring the whole Pantheon to the brink of death. It was only through sheer perseverance of the Pantheon that they were able to kill Monster Emperor. Once he died, all his minions died too, leaving the world in peace.”

“But… how does that relate here?” Alex asked in confusion as the sirens continued on wailing.

 

“Well, when the Monster Emperor died, his body transformed into an indestructible orb which is now floating in the sky.” Lauren said as she let out a sigh. “The Pantheon tried doing everything that they can to destroy this orb, but the orb stayed in the sky, always floating wherever it wanted to.”

 

“Now, the problem with that orb is the fact that it still spits out monsters. Fortunately, only 1 monster was released per time, and the release times were also random.” Lauren said as she kneaded her forehead. “Since the appearance of that orb, it had already spitted out 43 powerful monsters all around the world. But with the help of all the available Heroes and some members of the Pantheon, these monsters were all killed.”

Lauren then stopped talking here, as if what she just said managed to explain everything weird happening now.

 

“Wait, wait, wait.” Alex said as he kneaded his forehead too. “If this orb is this dangerous, why can’t Foresight use her power to see when it spits out the Monsters?”

 “Due to some unknown circumstances, Foresight had some difficulty using her power on the orb.” Lauren replied as she placed her hands on her hips. “Foresight will only know when the orb spits out a Monster 30 minutes before it happens. This warning that you are hearing right now, this was given out by Foresight, as she saw that a monster will be released in this place around 30 minutes from now.”

 

“Wow, I do not know if I should be impressed or disappointed with what I just heard.” The mad scientist commented as she shook her head. “So, what should we villains do now? Just stay here or should we leave?”

 

“Anyone with Superhuman Abilities, whether they are Hero or Villain, are highly requested to help out on repelling Threats like these.” Lauren replied quickly. “Do not worry if you go there as a villain. When repelling Class S – Class Z Threats, no fighting between the Heroes and Villains are allowed. Those who disobey these rule will be attacked indiscriminately by everyone else.”

“Well, that makes sense. This world needs all the powers that they can to repel threat, whether the power was carried by a hero or villain.” The mad scientist said with a hint of amusement in her voice. “Hehehe, I love this world! They really had to compromise with villains just to save civilians! How intriguing!”

 

“Ignore this woman, Lauren.” Alex said as he and the mad scientist went back to their respective teams. “So, where should we meet up with the other Heroes and Villains?”

“We have to go to the center of the Grand Point City.” Lauren said as she pointed at its direction. “That is the directive for events like these.”

“In that’s case, let’s go now!” Alex said as he shifted to his tentacle form. He then blasted himself to the air as he rushed to the center of the city.

There was only half an hour remaining before the arrival of the Class SSS Threat, so Alex had to meet everyone involved in the operation and help out with their plans!

 

“So, will it only be the Superhumans here in Grand Point City that will repel the threat?” Alex asked Lauren as all of them rushed to their target location.

“Not really. Heroes from other cities and countries will arrive here via the aid of teleporters.” Lauren said as she adjusted her position inside Queen Mother’s grasp. “As for the Pantheon, they will also send some of their members here.”

 

“…That’s good I guess.” Alex muttered, as he realized that he was also about to meet other members of the Pantheon in this operation. “We better be prepared asking them for some autographs then!”

**********************

After 5 minutes of nonstop movement, Alex and the others arrived at the center of the city.

 

“Woah.” That was all that Alex could say as he saw a large crowd of costumed people milling all around the area.

 

Alex could also hear some swishing sounds as countless teleporters appear and disappeared, bringing more and more heroes in the area.

“This is really large.” Alex said as he landed on the ground. He looked around him, as he tried to drink in the sights that he was seeing now.

After some looking around, Alex saw Glacia, who was glowering in a nearby corner. There was a wide berth of space around her, as if nobody was interested on getting near her.

Alex also saw a pot-bellied man wearing a formal suit, who was surrounded by countless mafia goons around him. This pot-bellied man must have been Mafioso, and from the pissed look in his face, he seems unhappy to be here in this place.

 

Alex tried to look at the other Superhumans around him, but before he could do so, he suddenly felt four powerful presences descending from above.

 

Without even looking up, Alex already knew that these four were all members of the Pantheon.

After all, it was only them that has the capability have these  powerful presences.

 

Alex did look up, and what he saw made him somewhat wary and excited.

All four of the new arrivals were wearing unique costumes, although their costumes seems to be much more imposing compared to everyone below them.

Alex recognized one of the four as Tetra, with him still wearing his signature biker gang costume.

As he looked at Tetra, Alex realized that Tetra was merrily talking with one of the Pantheon members with him. The one that Tetra was talking to was a man whose whole body was covered with a sophisticated looking armor. 

With Alex’s eyesight, he could see that this man’s armor was filled to the brim with weaponry.

There was no doubt that this armored man was Machi, the Combat Builder of the Pantheon.

Alex then looked at the other two Pantheon members, who were hovering on Tetra’s left and right side.

 

The one hovering on Tetra’s left side was a short, petite woman with black hair reaching her shoulders.

She was wearing a female knight costume, which looked extremely original in Alex’s opinion. Her face was covered by a slim helmet, with just enough space  on its mouth part to show the woman’s confident smile.

With his research, Alex knew that this woman was Myth, the ‘mythical’ shifter of the Pantheon.

As for the woman hovering on Tetra’s right side, she seemed to be the opposite of Myth.

This woman has a long, slender body and silvery blonde hair that reached her ankles.

She was also wearing a toga, which covered her whole body perfectly.

The woman’s mask was a simple one, only a masquerade mask which covered the upper half of her face.

Her smile was ephemeral and elegant, something that was the contrast of Myth’s confident smile.

“Gulp.” Alex’s throat slightly moved, as he knew that he was now looking at the most mysterious member of the Pantheon.

 

She was Foresight, the most powerful clairvoyant in the world!
 

“Greetings to you all.” Foresight’s voice, which sounded like the gentle tickling of golden bells, suffused the area around Alex as everyone heard her talking. “We only have a limited time left before the threat arrives, so let us not waste time anymore. We have some fighting to do, and we need a viable battle strategy to draw up!”

Random!

4