[Chapter 173] Blacksun
197 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"What do you mean huh? Can't you see it?" The old man hissed as he whispered to Alex. "Kiera… she's going to be one of them now!"

"…" Alex eyes narrowed as he stared at the sudden change of the old man's attitude.

Earlier, the old man was still able to keep his calm, but right now, he was just a panicking mess.

The old man's breathing was harried, and his emotions were starting to spin out of control.

Whatever was happening to Kiera right now must have been so bad that it could elicit a reaction like this from the old man.

"Because of the Red Moon, Kiera is about to gain a power!" The old man almost shouted as he grabbed Alex's shoulder. "That is how things work when a new moon appears!"

"Yeah…" Alex mumbled in reply as he took note of this info inside his mind.

"So every time a new moon appears, a new kind of power appears too? If that's true, then that means that the Blue, Yellow, and Green Moons represent a different power of their own." Alex thought to himself as he maintained a blank expression on his face. "So there's at least 3 different kinds of power systems here…"

That discovery did not make Alex feel better, as he realized that the world that he came in was much more mysterious and dangerous than what he could have expected.

"This is really bad!" the old man continued to say as he grasped his white hair. "With the appearance of the Red Moon, I am sure many will be starting to panic! And those who gains new powers from the Red Moon could be targeted!"

 

"What do you mean by targeted?" Alex asked as he saw Alina and Queen Mother doing their best to calm Kiera down. "Will someone deranged attack your granddaughter just because she gained a new power? That seems reckless."

"Reckless? Yes it is, but I am sure that some of them will still do it!" The old man replied as he let out a sigh. He leaned back against the wall of the hut as a despairing expression appeared on his face.

"Even if the Symbolists, Celestials, and the Devourers had publicly made a promise to not kill anyone who will gain a new power if the Red Moon appears, I am sure that they are planning to do something different to them!"

"!!!" Alex's ears perked up after hearing what the old man just said, taking note of the three cool-sounding names that he just heard.

"Instead of killing them, I think that the Symbolists, Celestials, and the Devourers will try to enslave the people who gained power from the Red Moon! That way, the rise of the Fourth Faction will be prevented, and they will also be able to raise their own power too!"

"That's… politics." Alex said as he could understand the old man's point. "There's nothing that we could do to deny that."

As Alex said these words, his eyes narrowed as he tried to create as much info that he can from what he just heard.

From the looks of it, it seems like the Symbolists, the Celestials, and the Devourers were the controlling powers in this world.

Their powers could have been related to the first 3 moons, and the appearance of the 4th moon meant that another faction was about to rise.

Obviously the first three factions won't be happy with this. They were already in a position of power, so why would they let another faction rise up to contend to them?

This new faction will obviously be prevented from gaining its full strength.

But from what Alex could deduce from the old man's sentences, the first three factions does not dare to kill the new faction.

Alex was not sure on why the Three Factions hesitate on killing, when it was the best thing to do here, but maybe there's still something that Alex does not know yet.

So if killing is out of question, then how will the first three factions stop the new faction from growing?

Well, just like what the old man said, enslaving the new faction will be the best thing to do here.

Not only will the new faction be prevented to grow, their power will also be a boost the forces of the Three Factions.

That's a win-win situation right there.

"So, you are telling me that since Kiera was one of the people who gained a new power from the Red Moon, she will be most likely targeted by the Symbolists, Celestial, and the Devourers?" Alex asked the old man as he stared at the old man's haggard face. "Surely they won't target a child, right?"

"You think too much of them, young lad." The old man snorted in reply as he started to look around him warily. "The Symbolists might be the most knowledgeable out of the Three Factions, but their thirst for knowledge will make them do unspeakable things! The Celestials on the other hand are just arrogant pricks. Taking slaves are their hobbies! As for the Devourers? They are just twisted beings! They surely won't hesitate taking children as slaves! That's just normal for them!"

Alex was sure that the old man was exaggerating some of the words that he uttered, but he managed to get the message across.

"So, what will you do about that?" Alex said as he stared at the old man. "If your little girl will be in danger, does that mean that you will just hide her here, where she will not be detected by any of those Three Factions?"

"Hide her here? Hell no!" The old man replied angrily as he shook his head.

The old man then pointed his finger to the sky as he said,

"See the sky above this mountain? That is a spot where some airships of the Symbolists pass through! If one of those damned Symbolists passes above this place, that Symbolist will detect Kiera and her new power! Once that happens, it's over for us!"

"So you will leave." Alex said, which elicited a nod from the old man.

"Yes, we will leave, and we will do it right now." The old man said as he started to gather everything that he can, placing them in a large sack. "Once Kiera finishes gaining her new power, we will leave this mountain, and we will look for a safe place where we can hide safely."

As the old man increased the amount of the objects inside this sack, Alex opened his mouth, as if he was about to say something to the old man.

"Don't." The old man suddenly said, as if he could read what Alex was thinking right now. "Don't think of that. We can protect ourselves pretty easily."

"But-" Alex's words were cut off as the old man interrupted him.

"I can see that you three were all powerful people, but I can also see that you were about to do something that was very important." The old man said as he shook his head. "Why should we bother you, when you were obviously doing something important?"

"…"

Alex could get the old man's point.

Alex was here to do a mission, and taking care of an old man and his granddaughter is not one of those.

But even if they were not his responsibility, Alex was not that cold enough to just let someone be this open to danger.

Since the old man seems adamant on going alone, Alex will respect his request.

But that does not mean that he will just let the old man go on like this.

"Okay, I won't say anything now, but before you go, please let me give something to you first." Alex said as he attempted to withdraw something from his Storage.

But before he could even start the access, he suddenly heard rumbling sounds above him.

"Rumble…"

"No!!!" In front of Alex, he could see the old man's face paling by several degrees, as if he just saw the end of the world. "Why are they appearing now?"

"Rumble…" As the rumblings started to increase, Alex felt the body of Asteria shifing on top of his head.

A few seconds later, and Asteria flew out, electing to float in front of Alex's eyes.

Before Alex could swat the fairy away, Asteria opened her mouth, and out came was her mission-giving voice.

[BONUS MISSION: Defeat the Symbolists and save Kiera Blacksun. Mission Reward will be 50 years of lifespan and a Bonus Item. Failure to succeed the Mission will void all the possible Bonus Mission Rewards.]

"Oh god, now we have to fight?"

3