Chapter 23 – Part 1
23 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Helena passed beneath the archway that led to the dining hall. The chill in the air nipped at her arms, even after she’d passed through the massive double doors. Though empty of diners, the sounds of the few cooks filtered up form the wide stairwell and into the massive room. The top of the three stories tall windows were unboarded and beamed morning light into the hall. But below, for two stories, plywood and all manner of junk, covered the glass and iron frames. It shrouded a good portion of the room in darkness.

Her steps echoed on the old wood floors as she dodged errant chairs askew from their tables. The occasional chair leg seemed to leap out from the dark, and Helena huffed as she pushed them aside. The chair screeched, and her ears burned from the sudden and violent sound. As silence fell heavy around her, the room seemed more ominous than she remembered it ever being before.

It had been years since Helena was a student sitting at the long tables. Since she’d casually came in and out whenever she needed a bite, taking the bountiful all-you-can-eat feasts for granted. The hall wasn't a fun social place anymore. It hadn’t been for some time now.

Helena walked past the high table seating and through the back door.

The tea room; a small enclosed room with cabinetry lining the wall. When she'd snuck back in second year there were stainless steel tea pots, trays of cookies, and doilies a plenty. A world transfixed in time as a part of the college's tradition.

It hadn't changed much, the same paintings still on the wall and the furniture looked original. But all the windows were boarded. There was a set of chairs in a circle around an old fireplace. Few were allowed in this space now, much like before.

Through another thick heavy door that creaked as she opened it, Helena started up the narrow stairwell. The steps groaned under her weight, crying out from the stress of years. Someone will break through a step if they're not careful.

She reached the top of the stairs and stood before yet another large window but this one wasn't boarded up. It looked out onto the street and another set of buildings. They had tried to use all the student residences at first, but it wasn't secure like the old college and they had learned their lesson fast and cruelly. A lot of good people she knew had died.

I don't think you're being very objective about this, Kam.” The voices on the other side of the door drew her vision back to the stained wood. Before even entering she knew what trouble was waiting on the other side and her stomach lurched in anticipation.

Objective? She is my wife!” Kam yelled. “You had planned this whole ‘hearing’ without me, and if Abi hadn't said-”

We were merely giving you time to adjust.”

Don't play this runaround crap with me. You can't make a unilateral decision on something as serious as this without all of us!”

Helena listened for a moment knowing this part wasn't for her, but stopped when there was a sound below. Monte looked up from the bottom of the stairs. His nose was still purple and crooked. She smiled inwardly as he climbed, that look of perpetual smirk smeared across his face like it was stuck there.

Eavesdroppin'?” He leaned closer to Helena. His advances were nothing new and having decided offence only made the tease more fun, she stepped aside.

Not in the least.” She gripped the handle and opened the door “Ladies first.”

The look her shot her was danger incarnate, but he stepped through the portal hearing his name called from inside.

Monte? Good we've been waiting for you and-” Saul paused as Helena entered and he gave her a polite and respectful nod. “Helena, welcome.” He directed them both to two seats against the wall.

The room wasn't overly large but that was why they liked it. It was their personal persecution chamber, as she’d come to know it. The walls around her were the last people saw before being “asked” to leave. Where people were demoted from powerful positions. Where the fate of their small community was determined at the hands of those “chosen” to lead.

For years Helena watched the room evolve. From a place where good men and women found a way to survive into one where regular people found a way to bury those that fought them.

But she took her seat nonetheless.

At the centre of the room four square wood tables sat pushed together. On them tea, still steaming, waited with breakfast already prepared. It wasn't a bountiful spread but it was more appetizing than what Helena, and the other residents, would eat later in the hall.

At the head of the table sat Jonas Herbert, the newest tyrant and leader. He didn't coin himself as such but had each member wrapped around his finger. To his left his sister Magda, the dean of the college before the fall. Around the table more council members sat: Tae-Hyun Tokko, the bookie. Saul Delgado, public relations. Finn McCarthy, the objective conman. Evelyn Jekyll, the two face ice queen deserving of her name. Lyndon Jekyl, the queen’s son and accomplice. Abigail Raisa, mother, contractor and one of the best minds in the small colony. And Kam Singh, the new middle of the road voice to replace the ones already asked to step aside.

Each member of the council fit some stereotypical mechanism for self destruction that Helena had watched grow and change more often than the rest of the residents. Obviously, they each were far more than what they appeared but in this room they played their parts. They became the caricatures. Right down to the asshole muscle, Monte, and the tight-lipped doctor part Helena had come to play.

Monte played his role a little too well.

So is this about the bitch or what?” Monte huffed, flopping down in the chair beside Helena.

Evelyn rolled her eyes from across the table. “A little decorum would be appreciated.”

That what we're here about isn't it? That black bitch who-”

Shut up.” Helena couldn't help herself as she jabbed her elbow into Monte's rib. “Just shut up.”

This isn't just about Ms. Sparks but about the all the newcomers.” Magda spoke slowly and with an almost unsure tone. Her eyes were on her brother, Jonas smiling and nodding for her to go on. “We have a few options on a course of action-”

I don't think we do.” Abigail sat back in her chair, arms crossed over her chest and her gaze locked forward. She seemed unmoved by the glares she tossed her direction from her other council members. “They're just like us and quite honestly treating them like criminals is going to cause more problems than we need. I think they should be welcomed and instructed on how we do things around here.”

The bitch attacked me!” Monte said raising from his chair. “You expect me to sit across a fuckin' table and eat with her? This knew the rules before she left, and she still fuckin' broke 'em.”

Were her actions unprovoked?” Saul asked, looking at his brother Monte.

Not entirely,” Kam said.

Helena sat up a little straighter as Kam levelled his gaze her way. Here we go... picking sides. I hate this... “Two people Tish brought back with her were shot,” Helena stated the fact trying to avoid any slant.

Monte laughed and shook his head. “The kid was fuckin' infected! Last I checked we don't let the infected in.”

The mother wasn't,” Kam said calmly, but his fists were balled on the table. Helena knew this was the hardest for him knowing what it could mean for the rest that were rescued. For his wife.

This is the first I've heard of this,” Evelyn said, though she cast a quick glare her son’s way.

Lyndon leaned forward. “You killed an uninfected?”

She attacked the doc!” Monte stood from his chair. “Like I was gonna let our only doc get shot?!”

Helena?” Lyndon looked to her next but his gaze softened. Just remember they need you. They still need you.

She wasn't infected. As to the attack…” Helena looked to Monte. This man stands the watch with me. This man, whether I like the bastard or not, holds a gun next to me in the dark. Don't be stupid. “Monte was well within reasonable actions to shoot, but she was not physically formidable. However, the amount of force may have been, excessive with the support we had in position. And he didn’t wait on my orders to act then or with the second group. He may need to be reminded that, per our agreement-”

You are in charge when you leave the walls, we know,” Evelyn finished for her with a heavy sigh.

How diplomatic of you.” Jonas rarely spoke at the meetings as his opinions often slithered from the others around the table. Helena shivered as he smirked, relaxed in his seat.

Excessive? The fuck you talking about, you were there-I fuckin' saved your life!” Once again, it took seconds for Monte to make an ass of himself.

Enough, brother,” Saul snapped. “You should’ve taken her advice and shut the hell up.” Standing, Saul motioned for Monte to follow. “I’ll talk to you later.”

We're not done with this,” Monte breathed to Helena as he passed through the open door. Saul stepped around the table and closed it behind his brother.

Seeing the inquest into the deaths was over, Helena stood and made for the door.

Please sit, Helena. We're not quite finished.” Evelyn reached out to Tae-Hyun, and he passed her a sheet of paper.

Helena sat back trying to stifle her sigh.

Now the question about Ms. Sparks’ actions as deserving of exile is obviously off the table.” Evelyn put on a pair of cracked glasses and looked down at the page like it weren’t lives they were discussing. “We won't kick her out but some sort of reprimand is in order. Any suggestions?”

I think she's been through enough.” Abigail’s face was firm as stone, though Helena could hear the rage in her voice. “She’s been out there for months, lost Laurence, thought she’d lost everyone in her team, saw a kid get shot. I'd say she acted about how I expected any of us under that kind of stress.”

I agree,” Kam added.

Well, I'm sure Jonas and I would never act so rashly or violently!” Magda nearly cried, and a small chatter started up with accusations tossed around the table.

Alright, alright everyone.” Evelyn knocked her knuckles on the table to get their attention. “We'll consider it a time-served situation and restrict her access. No guard duty for a month?”

Fair,” Abigail said and nods went on around the table, most waiting for Jonas to agree before making their own “decisions”.

Now, the next question is whether we can take in more refugees.” Evelyn turned back to her sheet. “Our supplies are not infinite, though some are renewable, and as keen as we are to take in everyone we can, we have to realize our limits.”

This is a load of crap Evelyn, and you know it,” Abigail shot from across the table. “We can always use more help with harvesting. Not to mention fortifications. They're not just going to freeload anymore than the rest of us do.” Her words held a hint of sarcasm that wasn't entirely missed. “They'll do their part, I'm sure. Besides six of them are kids.” Abigail’s words fell heavy in the room. “Will you want to be the one explaining why we threw kids out as fodder for the wendigos?”

That's uncalled for,” Lyndon said dismissively. “Mother merely brought up a valid point that-”

Well then, what are the numbers?” Abigal snapped. “How long before we have to start sending kids off with a pat on the back and-”

That’s not exactly constructive, Abigail.”

Really, Lyndon? I think you’re missing the fact that we’re suggesting we toss out survivors brought back by our own people, and that isn’t what we-”

We’ve already brought them in,” Kam spoke up. “And I would hate to have to leave because you decided my wife wasn't worth saving.”

There was a note of threat in his words. A number of skilled labourers had come to the college with Kam. Even more liked his moderate voice since he’d been there. If he left, he wouldn’t be alone and Helena guessed it would be more damaging than taking on the burden of a few more mouths.

Kam, you must realize we are trying to approach this objectively.” Lyndon straightened his crinkled suit as he backpedalled. “If you're finding your personal struggles-”

I find the way you can all so easily detach yourself from these choices to be the real struggle. These are people. If there is ever a time to be personally invested and emotional it's when the lives of others rest in our hands. Do not be so quick to crunch us all to numbers on a page.” Slowly he stood from the table. “Now if that is all I would like to see my wife. Do I have... permission to release her from holding?”

Lydon was nearly blue in the face when he pushed his chair back with a screech. But Evelyn's hand shot out and she shook her head as Jonas nodded to Kam. It wasn't a direct order, but it was all he needed as the rest of the room agreed.

Kam rest a hand on Abigail's shoulder as he passed her and she gave him a warm triumphant smile.

We're all very pleased you've found your wife, Kam.” Magda’s voice stopped him from leaving the room. “Few are soo lucky.” Her features had softened and her eyes grew weepy. But just as quickly as the emotion came, the next swung back hard. Magda looked haggard, confused even, and reached out for her brother, Jonas.

When the door closed the topic changed.

Now, can we get down to the real business.” Finn eagerly leaned forward to the table. He was always half smiling, the greatest poker face and player she'd ever seen.

I've talked with Kam, I know his vote as you all do on this subject.” Abigail looked just as ready as Finn to get to the nitty-gritty. “We say we wait before contacting the authorities out Ashley Cazalla.” Her words were careful and slow.

We've gone over this, Abigail.” Evelyn let out a heavy sigh. “The whole reason we sent Laurence was to retrieve her in the first place to make the trade. What point would there be to hold off now?”

Terms. Numbers. When it will happen. Are we really ready for a full evacuation and if so they're just....”

A little too generous,” Finn said. “You don’t put a deal on the table and not bargain. Not unless the deal ain’t serious.”

Unless they get exactly what they want!” Lyndon huffed. “They have been looking for Ashely Cazalla for years. Why wouldn't they honour the deal?”

I'm just giving you my opinion.” Finn raised his hands defensively. “In the end, there's no honour amongst thieves. We don’t have any guarantees they’ll come through on their end of the deal.”

We're not thieves, McCarthy.” Evelyn's eyes glared at Finn from over her glasses.

Don't have to be to deal with 'em.”

Okay, okay. We get your point, Finn,” Jonas added with a smile and Finn's smirk receded ever so slightly. “And you may have a point in all your bullshit. We should make a solid deal and be prepared. Making radio contact with them now to begin negotiations is a good start.”

I still think we should be cautious,” Finn said.

Maybe we shouldn't do anything while she's in poor health?” Abigail looked to Helena. “How is she?”

All eyes turned to her and Helena felt her palms get a little sweaty. Like standing in an examination room with all her professors watching each incision she was careful in choosing her words.

Alive but bitten.” She took a breath thinking. “However, she's not showing signs of infection. I've spoken with Shannon, he says she was bitten days ago but still hasn't turned. Quite the opposite, but I'd like to speak with Reid once he's available.” Her eyes narrowed a little on Jonas but Helena stopped herself and looked away. It wasn’t her idea to lock Reid up.

If she's bitten she should be killed.” Magda’s whispered words were automatic and more a mantra than an argument posed. Magda's eyes locked on something beyond them all, her features firmly set in a sad concentrated scowl. “All wendigos have to be killed.”

Jonas lay a hand on her arm, gently squeezing and she came back to reality, her face still trapped in some horrible memory. “This is different,” he said. “She won't be interacting with anyone. We'll keep her confined until the they come for us. Okay, Mags?” He looked around the table, making eye contact with enough key players. “Agreed?”

Nods followed until Jonas' eyes settled on Helena demanding a similar kind of obedience. “See to her wounds but always have a guard with you. She is to remain under lock and key.”

I’ll need help,” Helena said.

Curiosity greeted her in Jonas' eyes.

My regular duties are already stretched thin and caring for an infected will mean I’ll be too busy to treat anyone else. And I need someone with training and experience in medicine.”

You mean Reid?” Abigail filled in the gaps faster than some of the others, but objections were quick to follow.

That’s not happening.”

He’s more likely to help her escape.”

I wouldn’t trust that idiot with my dog!”

Do we need to remind you of what happened outside the college?” Evelyn added. “He made a deal with this woman. No matter how much Shannon tries to convince us otherwise, we’re still looking at a man willing to let her go. Willing for us to all stay in this… place because he felt bad. We can’t put our faith in a man so easily persuaded.”

Speak for yourself,” Finn chipped in with a wide smile. He pulled free a lighter and flipped the top compulsively. “I trust Reid completely and obviously so did our captive.”

That doesn't exactly bode in his favour for the position.” Evelyn sighed. “If Shannon can be trusted, they deceived her. If not, Reid was going to let her walk away.”

You want a man like that in charge of her captivity?” Lyndon snapped.

Her health, not her captivity,” Helena insisted. “I can't stay up twenty-four hours to see if the infection wanes. And I won’t. He could watch her to relieve me for other duties and he would never be alone.”

Seems fair,” Abigail said. “But I agree he shouldn't be alone with her after all that was invested. People died to get her.”

We'll consider your suggestion,” Jonas added. “Now, for other business-”

It's not a suggestion,” Helena said. Remind them that they need you. “I don't have time to train someone. I can’t take care of everyone myself. We need Reid.”

Finn chuckled. “How diplomatic of you indeed, Miss Black.” He tapped his lighter on the table before resting back in his chair. “I guess that's the end of that. Right, Jonas? Reid Lavelle's our new resident nurse for our good doctor.” He winked at Helena. “Good fucking luck with him.”

1