Chapter 1: Vectan
312 6 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When SunRa, My avatar, looked at the surroundings, they seemed to be a forest.

There was only one way this could be a home town. SunRa was an elf, or more precisely a Velforan, as every playable nonhuman species were collectively called elves in this game.

To my front was another Velforan, standing with his mouth agape. Great, I must look like an out of this world octopus monster... I surmised. Curious an panicked, I interrogated the man: ``is there a mirror nearby?'' To which he answered ``No, but there is a lake just outside the settlement, to your left ...''

Without wasting any time, I turned to my left and ran at full sprint. Soon after, I Reached the lake and looked down at my reflection and saw. A young girl, with pale golden hair, a sapphire blue right eye and a ruby right eye. In contrast to her hair, her eyebrows were a bold emerald green. As her ears depicted her as a Velforan, she had no earlobe. The body was so well sculpted that it looked like it was made by an artist, yet was very small and fragile. I looked at my body in awe. It was almost perfect, not showing a shadow of the usual randomian awkwardness.

``Wow'' I breathed out, noticing that even the voice fit with the rest of the body. Earlier, I had been too distressed to notice, but my voice as definitively not that of a man. This brought about the greatest problem with my new body: the gender was wrong.

In the past, many men tried to play as women. However, that trend ended rather quickly since the VirtWurld created a world with rules very similar to the real world's, and as such had the deterrent of a certain time of the month. Most cross-players were frivolous and decided to quit gender swapping, saying the pain wasn't worth it. I had yet to try since I was apprehensive of what would happen to my reputation.

As I was worrying about her current situation, a shout blew out ``Watch out!'' I turned Towards the source and moved aside just barely in time to dodge the wolf which pounced on me. It was a <<BROWN WOLF LV 51>>. Velforae were known for being hardcore players, as their home towns were in a forest where adult monsters had a mean level of 60, some reaching as high as 100. It wasn't my first game, but all the previous ones I played had all been peaceful resort style games. Therefore, the giant feral wolf, which was as tall as I was, was very intimidating while growling and crouching to pounce again. Yet, before the wolf could do anything more, it's head was lopped off by a scimitar. Dark mist flowed out of the wound and slowly dissipated, leaving only the remains of the fur and the bones of the wolf.

``Are you OK?'' The man standing in front of me was the one who had given directions to the lake earlier. He had darkly tanned skin and very developed muscles, was taller than the wolf, and had brown eyes matching his hair. As with most Velforae his vestigial parts were minimal, meaning he had no earlobes. The man crouched down and waved his hand in front of my petrified face ``Hello, is anyone home?''

I answered curtly ``Yes, I'm fine.'' The man smirked, amused by my annoyed attitude, then pointed towards himself with his thumb ``I'm Vectan, level 109 Velforan elder guardian, how 'bout you?'' I tilted my head inquisitively ``I'm SunRa, no idea what my job is, obviously level 1.'' Vectan smiled and remarked ``to open your status, imagine what a status window should look like and wave down your hand.'' I did so, and replied ``Race: Velforan, Job: Scout''. Confusion still remained in Vectan however, as he questioned ``How come you didn't know your job?'' and he got the plain report ``I am a Randomian''. Vectans eyes grew wide, to the point where it was worrisome whether they would split open. ``There has never been a nonhuman Randomian before.'' he gasped. ``It may not be uniformly random, simply poorly distributed. As such if there is a 99 percent chance of it turning out human, then it would be rare for one to see a nonhuman Randomian. The reason for my body not being completely distorted could also be because the distribution under Velforae is more sensible.'' SunRa conjured, to which Vectan replied: ``Either way you are super lucky.''

Luck had never been one of my strong points, ``Except, my gender got changed, I might have managed the point 16 percent, but failed at the 50 percent.'' However, the man standing in front of me held his optimism and attempted to persuade me that it was not a great problem. ``After all, you can still make friends.'' The Velforan elder guardian got up and changed the subject ``It is in the tradition of the Velforae to train newbies for at least a day. So, ready to go?'' As such I also got up, got ready... or not, as there was nothing to prepare... ``I don't have a weapon.'', to which vectan happily answered: ``We're power levelling as we don't have any craftsmen with us.''

I spent the next three hours leisurely walking through the outskirts of the most dangerous forest on the continent, watching Vectan defeat everything around us and getting party XP for it... On the bright side of things, I got to level 19.

5