56: Reunion
10.7k 30 402
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We said goodbye to the Stonechasers on the other side of the gatehouse, with the promise that we’d come to them if we needed help. I replied that I’d have a lot of stuff to sell later, but we had business to get to first. With the name of the inn that they were going to be using memorised, we headed out in search of our friends. They were undoubtedly in the city, at least according to my tracking spell, so we wandered off in that direction.

The city was as amazing from the inside as it was from the outside, bustling with obrec, humans and a few other races I’d never seen before. Magic was everywhere too, the gentle smell of it permeating the air to my mage senses. I was starting to realise that the Anve kingdoms, duchies and princedoms were actually a backwater in this region, as evidenced by the sheer size of this place compared to any of the other cities we’d been to thus far.

Except, the main difference was the obvious lack of wood, wherever it was possible to swap it out for some other material, they had done so. Doors were still wooden, with steel reinforcements looking to be quite popular. The stone that most buildings were carved out of was mostly the same muted grey as the natural stone from around here, while the tile roofing appeared to be fired terracotta and clay, with some shale thrown in every now and then.

The terrace we found ourselves on was as wide as any normal city street, with vendors hawking their wares on either side as we made our way further in. They gave the center of the street a wide berth though, and there was a pair of obrec guards making sure the wagon traffic was able to move smoothly. It was all oddly familiar really, which led me to think that maybe human and obrec culture had sort of bled together over the years.

We had to cross the chasm to get to where Adam’s ring was, and that meant walking across one of the many huge bridges that spanned it. I’m pretty sure the engineers back at Avonside would have a field day with this whole city, but they’d cream themselves over the bridges.

We found, in the end, that the tracking spell wasn’t pointing across the chasm at all, but rather to an inn that was actually in the bridge. The inn, and many other buildings like it along the length of the huge span of stone, only had the common room and stables on the same level as the main thoroughfare. The rest, I was guessing as we approached it, was underneath, built into the structure that we walked on.

“Damn, this place is incredible,” Grace remarked as we approached the inn. “This bridge is bigger than that one back in that other city. The one made by the ring builders.”

“Yeah, not as long though,” I agreed, glancing around before pushing the door open.

A cheeky expression came over her and she gave me a sly smile, “So… it’s shorter but girthier?”

“Please, no dicks here, I’m not that kind of lesbian,” I groaned, rolling my eyes.

Suddenly she was all blushes as we stepped inside the building. “I have a strap back at uni,” she mumbled, causing my eyebrows to rise and my stomach to do little flips. Oh my goodness gracious… that sounded… wow. And she’d use it… on me? I quivered at the thought.

I shook my head slightly to clear it and glanced around the room instead. Along the back wall was a massive window done in a style that would be old on earth, diamonds of glass set into a lattice of soft metal, possibly lead. Light filtered through that lattice and into the common room on sparkling dust-filled streamers, bathing everything it a dappled yellow glow.

The tables were all smooth, carved stone, carefully crafted to be structurally sound while still movable if the need required it, metal used here too as a way to strengthen sections that had once been weak. The chairs were wooden, although they appeared to have been crafted from wood that had fallen to the forest floor, rather than cut down. The Obrec used so much metal in every aspect of construction, I was starting to think they might have an abundance of the stuff. It boded well for any shopping I might do for materials.

The hearth was set into the far side of the room to the side of the large window, a huge stone thing that appeared to be burning coal or some other material that wasn’t wood. The lengths these people went to get around their desire to protect their forests was incredible.

As for the people in the room, there were all sorts, although most of the patrons were obrec. One couple in the back appeared to be some sort of shorter, more animalistic race. Their bodies were thickly furred, with massive manes tumbling down their backs. They looked for all the world like stubby little humanoid lions with even more fuzz than usual. They were kinda cute, in a menacing, dwarfy sort of way.

Of course, our eyes weren’t really on most of the patrons in the room, but rather the group off to the side, where three guys in black armour sat. Adam was the first to rise, a huge grin dominating his face. “Ryn! Grace!” he exclaimed, rushing over.

He swept me up in a big hug with one arm, Grace in the other. “I fucking knew you’d turn up,” he grinned, before his eyes focused properly on Grace. “Grace… you uh…”

He let us go and stepped back, glancing between us both, but mainly staring at the recently changed girl beside me.

“Long story,” she said self consciously. “Still me though.”

I moved to place my hand on her back in order to steady her, although it was her emotions that were unsteady, not her body.

“Right,” he nodded, his smile returning. “Come tell us about it?”

“Of course,” I said, giving Grace a reassuring smile.

She gave a nod of thanks back, visibly shook herself and moved forward. My girl was strong, despite her lack of self confidence.

Troy’s grin was warm and relieved as we sat down at their table, while Kit was giving us a tired smile. He looked a little beat up, like he’d had a nasty fall. Probably when they were running away from whoever had found them. We had a lot of catching up to do.

Before that though, I shifted my chair sideways until it was flush with Grace's, then cuddled in against her side a little.

Troy raised his eyebrows. "I see that magic problem still persists."

"Um, no… we fixed that," I replied, feeling self conscious about Grace and I, but also unwilling to extricate myself from her. "It's why she looks different now. She's sorta like me… it's more complicated than that though, but it's sensitive information. The kind we should talk about in my grove, not here."

"Alright," he nodded, still eyeing us both up.

"Do you have your own grove, like Ryn?" Kit asked, expression keen and interested.

Grace shook her head. "Nah. I sort of amplify Ryn's spells instead."

"Oh, that's handy," Adam noted, although his eyes were on the contact between us, a slight smirk on his lips. "You two will need to get close, learn to work together? I imagine?"

"Um, yup," Grace nodded, a blush spreading across her cheeks again.

Adam totally knew there was something between Grace and I. He’d known since Eilian I think, but the way we’d been acting since then had probably solidified it in his mind. He was thankfully not pointing it out, which was probably more than our budding little… uh, relationship, could bear.

"How's the situation with your grove?" Troy asked me, mercifully changing the subject.

"We were stuck inside the tree for days because of another storm. It was nuts, trashing the interior before I shored it up," I told them, thinking back on the howling wind and tearing rain. "The wind break worked though, most of it survived."

"Damn good to hear, I'm glad things went okay for you two," he sighed, relieved. "We were worried when we had to make a run for it."

Ah, here it was. I was very interested to hear what had happened to them.

"Why was that anyway?" Grace blurted, leaning forward.

"Some of that wank stain's goons were in town," Adam growled, looking pissed. "The fuckers jumped us and we only just got out."

"Indeed," Troy nodded, taking over the explanation. "Two enemy mages, plus their escorts hit us as we were on our way back from selling your goods. Kit got thrown against a building, that's why he's injured."

"But you're okay?" I asked quickly, running my eyes over the quiet guy properly now, looking for any bad injuries.

"Yeah just bruised... like, everywhere," he said with a smile that was half grimace. "The running afterwards didn't help either."

He might be saying that, but I still wanted to gently throw him into one of my baths and maybe try to concoct a plant to help him. He looked like he was in a whole bunch of pain 

"The running fucking sucked, even for me, and all I got was blisters," Adam agreed, wincing as he shifted his feet.

"But you got away…" Grace prompted, glancing between then for more. “Shit, I was worried… especially after some… well, stuff.”

I felt kinda bad, I’d had so much else on my mind that I’d kind of relegated them all to the back of my mind. I’d been worried, sure… but Grace had been my priority.

"Yes, evidently we did get away," Troy remarked, a ghostly wisp of amusement in his tone. "We ran for a long while, almost two days of alternating between walking and running. Luckily for us, it turns out that stuck up nobles don't make good long distance runners. They tried, with magic too, then they gave up and sent their goons on ahead after us. We introduced them to our guns and then they too backed off. Tailed us all the way to the damned border though."

"Yup, let's hope they think of us as not their problem anymore," Adam sighed rubbing his face tiredly.

"Doubt it," I said apologetically. "They've almost finished wiping out every mage that poses a threat to their coven, and unfortunately… we kinda shot one of their leaders."

"Ah," he winced. "Shit…"

"That's not something we can deal with now though," Troy said, bringing us back on track. "Our next move us to rest and see what this city can do for us "

"Oh!" Grace grinned, glancing down at me for a second before she looked back up. “We actually made some friends already. A bunch of obrec from a clan called the Stonechasers."

"Oh yeah!" I said, excited now. "They seemed impressed by our reputation for shooting Fennimore. Said that if we needed anything, we could ask them for help."

"That's great," Troy replied, looking relieved. "You're all not so green around the ears anymore," he noted with a smile.

“Are you saying that we aren’t just dumb college kids anymore?” Adam asked with a laugh.

Troy gave a chuckle and a so-so shake of his hand. “Something like that.”

It almost seemed like he was proud of us, which was pretty cool. I liked the idea that we’d impressed Troy. Hell, I’d kinda impressed myself with how far I’d come since that first day. I was practically a different person than I had been three or four months ago, complete with a new body and name even.

Speaking of bodies, this lot looked like they could do with a rest, a good, hot bath and some nice food.

“Do you all want to go into my Grove for a rest?” I asked, glancing between each of them. “The bunnies should be finished with the open fire cooking pit thing too, so while you three are resting, Grace and I could see about selling some stuff to buy nicer food.”

“That would be amazing,” Kit groaned, slumping forward slightly. “I’ve been dreaming of the baths in your tree, I swear.”

“I added showers to them now,” I said with a sympathetic smile.

“Oh, please can we go there now?” he begged of Troy.

“Sure, if Ryn think’s that its safe to swap over here,” Troy replied, raising an eyebrow at me.

I nodded. “Magic is everywhere here, it would just blend in. We could rent a room here to put my mark in.”

“It’s a plan then.”

 

Hey everyone! Hope you're enjoying the story so far! If you'd like to chat with other people who enjoy transgender stories, you can visit the Valyn Storyverse discord server. If you've consumed everything I've written like some sort of ravenous and adorable reading bun, then you can check out my patreon! I have a few stories exclusive there, as well as a discord server where I talk to my patrons!

402