1: The Obelisk
42.7k 62 552
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
Same with all my stories, here's a disclaimer. This story contains Transgender and Lesbian themes. If either of those two things gets you all angry and ready to comment about how wrong they are, please turn around and read another story. I'll just delete your comments otherwise. If anyone sees any problematic comments, please let me know and I'll delete them.
My socials are:
Twitter

Royal Road

Patreon

 

 

“This wind is nuts!” I yelled as I struggled with the umbrella. Not that it was doing much good. The three of us were already sodden and miserable, so the flimsy plastic and metal wasn't even good as moral support.

We were trying to get to our next class, but the storm had rolled in over Avonside University out of nowhere, and we were trapped, huddled behind some decorative art thing in a vain attempt to get out of the wind.

Bray looked miserable in his thin T-shirt, huddling up against the metal sculpture, while his friend, —whose name I still hadn’t gotten— looked slightly more comfortable in her similar getup.

“Here let me take it,” she called over the wind, her hands already reaching for the rebellious umbrella that was our only defense against the torrent of rain from above.

I hesitated for a moment, then nodded and carefully passed it to her. She looked like she could probably lift me over her head with a little effort. That wasn’t to say she was all muscle or anything, but there was enough definition in her arms to let me know I’d get my ass beat if it came to that. Which it wouldn’t because conflict was scary.

“You two boys ready to make a run for it?” she yelled over the wind, her tone teasing and amused.

“No!” Bray grumbled, but his nod said otherwise.

“And you? Lanky dude, whatever your name is?” she asked, raising an eyebrow at me.

Lanky dude? I mean fair, but ouch. I nodded, taking a few deep breaths to try and psych myself up for the sprint. It looked like about forty meters to the door and into the atrium where we needed to go. Forty long meters swept by rain that was being driven almost horizontal by this storm.

“Go!” the girl called, and we ran.

Even considering my earlier appraisal of her, it was impressive to see her run and hold the umbrella over all three of us like it was nothing. Damn girl!

Our feet splashed through forming puddles as we bolted across the concrete tiles of the Patten Courtyard. My feet squished uncomfortably as rain filled my shoes up faster than a cup under an exploding faucet. Everything below my mid thigh was soaked, the umbrella could only keep the three of us covered up to a point.

Regardless, we made it into the Atrium, bursting through the doors in a spray of water and screeching wind. The door mechanism was failing to shut it automatically, so Bray’s friend tossed the umbrella back to me and leaned her shoulder into it until the latch clicked closed.

“Holy shit,” she laughed, her chest heaving with the effort. We were all soaked, her most of all. Her clothing clung to her frame in a very revealing way. I couldn’t keep my eyes off her abs, how the hell did those things even get like that? Smooth and toned at the same time.

“How did you even keep this thing upright, let alone covering us from the rain?” I asked, wrenching my eyes back to my umbrella.

I hadn’t been able to get it out before we’d all been drenched, that’s how fast the storm had rolled in, and now the thing was smashed and bent beyond hope. I’d need to get a new one.

“Yeah look at you! You’re like, buff! Are you one of those chicks that like deadlift or something?” Bray asked, openly staring at her.

“Uh yeah, I work out I guess. I lift and shit, but not like, a ton of the time or anything. I’m not interested in being a huge tanky chick or whatever. I mean don’t get me wrong, I think they’re hot as hell, but I don’t want to be one,” she shrugged, looking a little self conscious over the way her top was clinging. She wrapped her arms around her chest and stared back at Bray awkwardly.

“So you’re into buff girls then?” Bray teased, his eyes taking on a mischievous glint.

“I guess, but I’m into girls. I like short, pretty, petite girls, I like tall willowy girls, and yeah… I like buff girls too,” she shrugged, I could see her becoming more uncomfortable by the second.

Bray had a problem with knowing when to stop, and it looked like now was one of those times.

“Bray, knock it off,” I said with as much casual good nature as I could manage. “After all, we wouldn’t want the topic of conversation to turn on you would we?”

There wasn’t actually anything wrong with the short blond guy’s tastes, Bray could like who he liked, but I knew the topic embarrassed him. I could use the playful teasing of that topic to save the girl from any more discomfort. Actually, had I gotten her name yet?

She might have told me actually, but I’d probably been spacing out, so to speak. It was a thing that happened to me sometimes, my brain just stopped processing speech as actual information, and suddenly I was listening to english like it was a foreign language.

Looking at her now, I was impressed with the balance in her body that she’d achieved between soft and hard. She was a generally pretty girl all around too, but then again, this was college. It seemed like every girl was pretty.

Anyway, other than her abs, there was another thing about her that I had taken passing note of. Her hair was short and pale blond, with these fascinating faded red and blue streaks through it. It wasn’t sun faded or anything though, it looked like she’d had it dyed by someone incredibly skilled, and with top notch product to boot.

While Bray struggled with his blush, I asked her, “Who did your hair? It looks incredible, despite how soaked it is now.”

“Oh,” she blinked, surprised by my change of conversational topic. “Uh, it was me. I’m training to be a hair stylist.”

“Nice, I really like it,” I said, then ran my hand through my very wet and very short military style haircut with a grin. “Think I should dye mine?”

“There isn’t much there to dye,” she chuckled, eyeing me over. “And plus, you don’t actually seem like the type of guy who dyes his hair.”

I laughed off her words, because for reasons that would baffle most people, they hurt like hell. I wished I had longer hair, but that was only part of it.

Then she squinted at me, like she’d had a sudden realisation. “You aren’t hitting on me are you? I just said that I like girls, but I guess to be clear, I’m not into guys.” Her eyes flicked to Bray and she added, “Especially ones that stare.”

“He doesn’t hit on anyone, guys or girls,” Bray grumbled, clearly a little grumpy with both of us for the teasing and rebukes. “Never even seen him eye up a girl.”

“Doesn’t mean I’m not attracted to them,” I replied, a little sharply.

In reality, I wasn’t entirely sure who I was attracted to. I didn’t really like the concept of relationships, casual or otherwise. At least not while I was like… this. I didn’t want to be attracted to anyone right now, male or female.

To avoid meeting the eyes of the other two, I turned and looked out into the courtyard we’d just come from. Avonside University was gorgeous, despite the terrible weather that had rolled just now.

We were standing in what people called the Pyramid. It had a proper name and designation, but no one used those. The Pyramid was named like that because the roof was one big glass pyramid, the atrium itself being tacked onto one of the two large central tower blocks on campus. Covered and indoors, it was used as a student social and study space, with the nearby Oak cafe always available if you wanted overpriced food or coffee.

Outside the floor to ceiling glass was the courtyard we’d just come from, its neatly manicured shrubs and trees being whipped to within an inch of their lives by the storm outside. The rain was coming in so hard that it was almost hard to see through it.

“Sorry. That was rude,” I said, giving them both an apologetic expression. “I guess I’ve just never really been one for relationships. Can we change the subject? They seem like so much work after all. I can barely look after myself, how would I manage another person?”

“Sure,” the girl said, then smiled and walked over to slump into a nearby couch. “What’s your name?”

I couldn’t help a chuckle, following her lead and sitting down in a chair opposite. Yeah, we had totally skipped over the whole introduction part. We were classmates, had been for two years now off and on, but Avonside was huge, classes and year groups could get into the high hundreds. Bray, my best friend, was apparently friends with her, although I’d never spoken to her before we had all huddled behind that Sculpture.

“Elias,” I said finally, leaning over to offer her a hand, which she took, her grip far firmer than mine. I raised an eyebrow. “You?”

“Grace,” she replied, giving me an even amicable stare, like she was challenging me to remember it. I would. My memory was scary good.

“Nice name.”

She gave a shrug, looking slightly uncomfortable. “It’s a name, like everyone else's.”

“Great, you know each other’s names now,” Bray said, rolling his eyes before turning them on me. “We still haven’t figured out how we’re getting back to the dorm though Eli. This storm is—”

Bray was interrupted when a flash lit the room, followed quickly by a thundering shockwave. My vision blurred, pain flashed through my body and the whole world took on a strange dizzing spin. Dazed, I tried to make sense of what had just happened. The chair I had been sitting on was on its back, I had been thrown clear. Glass was everywhere, the rain and wind had invaded the safety of the indoors.

“What the fuck,” Grace groaned from a meter away as she pushed herself up off the ground.

“Eli! Are you okay?” Bray called from somewhere, and I let out a grunt to let him know I was fine. I wasn’t sure I could talk at that exact moment.

“Was it a bomb?” Grace asked, her eyes staring out into the black of the storm. Then they narrowed for a moment before they flew wide in confusion and awe. “What the fuck is that?”

My eyes tracked out past the debris and into the black where she was staring, taking a moment to adjust and find whatever she was looking for. Of course, when I saw it, I wondered how the hell I had missed it.

Standing in the center of the courtyard, having apparently obliterated the fountain that used to be there, was a massive black monolith. It was so dark that I couldn’t tell if it was cylinder or rectangular, but it was definitely there, the top up into the black of the storm.

Other students who’d been in the Pyramid were taking notice now too, crowding forward as far as they dared to get a look. I could see people out there in the rain, picking themselves up off the ground where they must have been thrown like we were. Someone stepped out of the atrium and shone a high powered flashlight on the thing, a security guard maybe, and all of a sudden we could see it for what it was.

It was perfectly cylindrical, so smooth in fact that my eyes had trouble reading it, like the very light bouncing off it was wrong somehow. I could feel my vision growing tired and strained just trying to comprehend it. The rain was having trouble with it too, sluicing off it like the surface was hydrophobic.

Then another flash lit up the university, but this one was far gentler and far more strange. A pulse of light flashed out from the monolith, passing through everything and everyone like none of us where here. Two more came out in quick succession and I crawled forward to take cover behind the upturned couch. The other two joined me quickly, and we all shared a nervous glace or two. What was happening?

“This is like something straight out of a movie,” Bray said with a low audible gulp. “One of those sci-fi thrillers where the aliens come pouring out of that thing to eat us.”

“Shut up Bray,” Grace hissed, sending him a scolding look. “Don’t need your dumb, overactive imagination right now. We have crazy shit going on right in front of us.”

“Well it’s better than waiting for whatever horror that thing is about to set on us,” he almost snarled back.

Clearly my two companions were stressed, and I waved a placating hand. “Hey, both of you, come on. No need to get grumpy, we’re all nervous here. Except the big thing outside, I don’t think he’s nervous.”

Bray didn’t reply rolling his eyes instead, his mouth pressed into a thin line, but Grace gave me a quick sidelong glance and a weak smile. Phew. Bray never appreciated my jokes. But really, whatever was happening was bad enough without these two going at each other.

“Everyone please stay calm!” a shrill, anything but calm voice called out through the large room, and we all turned to see an elderly woman in a high visibility vest walking into the Pyramid. “The decision has been made to evacuate the building. Please move in a calm and orderly fashion towards your designated evacuation points.”

Almost immediately I raised my hand with a cough. “Ma’am, that’s out there with the scary... uh, monolith thing. I’m not sure that’s a good idea.”

I almost called it a dildo, but managed to stop myself just before the word left my mouth. Now was not the time to be making dumb nervous jokes in front of the university staff.

“Ah… the alternative evacuation point then,” she said, sounding less than reassuring. I couldn’t blame her really, things had gone from normal to strange in a heartbeat.

We slowly did as the terrified woman asked, retreating from the smashed window and the monolith beyond. I couldn’t stop checking on Bray and Grace as we walked, my thoughts beginning to cycle worriedly between wondering what was happening and wanting to keep track of them. Familiar faces were important in times like this, I felt safer with them around.

We all flinched as another pulse of light shot out from the object behind us. Every time the pulse ran through me it felt like every energy drink I’d ever consumed was active in the same moment. It was a uniquely uncomfortable feeling.

I only made it a few more steps before a rapid series of pulses rushed through us and everyone staggered, eyes wild as they all sought out the source of their discomfort. The monolith was lightning up, crackling with energy, arcs of the stuff smashing into anything in the courtyard that could conduct electricity. My gaze met Grace’s, the confusion and fear I felt mirrored in her grey green eyes.

The weirdness wasn’t done with us yet though, not by a long shot. A sound rose about us, sounding like a steel cable being pushed past its limits. Then everything stretched. My whole body felt like it was being contorted at a base level, every cell screaming in fear and pain.

All I knew was the twisting and stretching, my mind wild and animalistic as it tried to make sense out of what was happening. At some point it stopped, but I felt strange, like my mind was spinning in my head, just constantly spinning. It wanted me to turn left, just turn left, just turn left. When I tried to satisfy it though, when I turned my head left, it just wanted more. More rotation, always rotate, always rotate. I screamed, or I thought I did. I wasn’t sure, I was trapped in—

Crack.

I came back jarringly, trying to figure out what was happening. I had clarity again, although my forehead stung, and I tentatively opened my eyes and looked around.

“What the fuck was that?” I heard Bray call, his voice shrill with pain.

I lay on the floor, as did everyone else. They were all caught in their own worlds, blinking and confused like I was. Things were getting wild, and I’d really like to stop being thrown onto the ground. It was like someone had taken my core being and shaken it like they were making a cocktail.

Distantly I heard the high visibility vest woman speaking urgently into her radio, and we all turned when she staggered to her feet and cleared her throat loudly. “Everyone is to move to 4A100 and wait, the staff will be getting a handle on the situation while everyone is safe there.”

“Isn’t that the main gym hall?” Grace asked.

I just shrugged, I’d never had any reason to go there, but Bray nodded. “It is, probably to keep us all safe in one place.”

“Well, lets follow the safety vest’s orders then,” I groaned, pushing myself wobbling up onto my feet.

Everyone slowly began to follow the staff member out the back and towards a hallway, and as I did the same, I noticed something strange. The rain had just stopped and with the storm gone, an unfamiliar night sky was visible through the glass roof of the Pyramid…

552