1: The Dice
94 6 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Hi!

So, this novel is one I've been meaning to write for a long time, but because I've been busy with my other novel (Evolution God) it's been impossible to start up on this. Because I'm still writing on Evolution God rn, I'm only going to publish on this novel a couple of times a week or so.

 

Fun fact: The idea for this novel came from an idea to a horror game me and my little brother thought of a couple of years back, although I don't know if it'll be legit horror here in the novel.

Also, if you find spelling errors, please let me know since it'll allow me to make the overall quality of the novel better!

 

Ever since Lux could remember, he'd always been wasting his life away. Even as a kid, he'd never accomplished anything, even with the help of his parents, trying to motivate him. After a dozen times of trying to motivate Lux, his parents gave up and left him to take care of himself at the age of 16.

At the age of 18 Lux got into trouble with the police and was arrested for a murder which he didn't commit. He was in jail for 10 years, before it was found out he was innocent. Due to this, the judge told him she was sorry, and he was sent on his way without any form of compensation. While Lux had been in jail, both his parents had passed away due to 'natural causes'. Due to society changing and the lack of money, Lux became homeless for a couple of years, living on the street as the scum of society. Without much to eat, he had been starved and had lost 30 pounds during the years as a homeless.

At the age of 31, Lux was helped out of homelessness and got a place to live in. At that time he finally felt that luck had been with him. But that was wrong as well. At the age of 32, only a year later, he was asked to leave his newfound home and he fell into homelessness again. This time it was worse, as he fell into an evil cycle of drug abuse. Because of this, he got sentenced to a couple of years in jail, during which he joined a gang and became the leader within the jail. All the other prisoners were scared of him since he'd already killed a couple of inmates that went against him. The previous leader of the gang was killed by Lux as he had penetrated his throat with a tightly rolled-up newspaper. It was an extremely bizarre sight and everyone that saw it vomited. Due to the killing, his sentence went up with another 30 years, while he got moved to a private cell and private courtyard to keep him away from the other inmates. 

At the age of 63, he got released from jail, and without money, he fell into homelessness. At that time, he was already used to the living conditions of homeless people, since he'd already been through homelessness a couple of times before his 20-year sentence. He was once again helped out of homelessness and for once he got a job. Although the pay was extremely bad, he felt that for once he could manage to accomplish something, but that dream was ruined when his employer thought it was funny to fire Lux form the job since he felt that his attitude and demeanor didn't fit the work criteria.

At the age of 65 Lux managed to get a job as an office worker at a company called Mindoms, where he worked as a secretary for 5 years, earning enough money to move out of the little apartment he had gotten from the help of an organization which helps homeless people. The apartment he had gotten, was lacking in a lot of things. A warm shower was impossible since the water was ice cold. There was no heat on the floor except on the toilet, and there was no electricity as well. The kitchen didn't work, so he lived off cup noodles and takeaways. The water in the faucets around the apartment was extremely dirty, so he had to filter it through a sock 5 times for the water to barely be drinkable.

Most people would retire at the age between 64-68 whereas Lux, didn't even retire when he was 71. At that age, he still worked as an office worker, but it was in another company where he managed to get a position as the Chief Secretary where he earned enough to move to a house, that had warm water, heated floors throughout the house, while there was electricity. It was as if a dream had come true for him since his life had been wasted away due to prison time, and reckless decisions.

Lux had felt throughout his life that luck had never been with him. It wasn't till he was so old it didn't matter much as his health had taken a toll on him.

At the age of 73 Lux was diagnosed with throat cancer and the doctors told him he had less than a year to live. Due to this, he was forced to retire from his position as the Chief Secretary, and pay medical bills, while being in the hospital. He once again felt that luck had left him and God had abandoned him. His whole life had been one big misery. Every time he had felt that he had finally had some luck in his life, it had been taken away from him as if someone behind the scenes thought it was funny to see him suffer.

Opposite to the doctor's expectations though, Lux survived a year of hell in hospital and was cured of his throat cancer. He was released from the hospital at the age of 74, while most of his money had been spent on the medical bills, leaving him with barely enough to live off of. Even at such an old age, he managed to find another job in an office. Although this time, he earned much less than his time as a Chief Secretary. Because of this, he had to move out of his dream house, and move back into a small apartment. 

On the day of his 75th birthday, he was walking home from work. He didn't have enough money to buy a car, and not even enough to buy a bicycle, forcing him to walk with his old frail body. It was at that time that he with a glimpse at the corner of his eye caught sight of something shiny. It was inside an alleyway, where lots of huge containers full of trash were placed together on top of each other. It almost seemed as if there had never been cleaned, and as if it had always looked like that. As he walked into the alley, a stink got caught by his nose. It smelled rotten and was extremely unpleasant to the nose. The tiles were all somewhat broken, while the piece of wall that was visible behind the containers, were filled with graffiti's overlaying each other.

The shine was at the back of the alley, in a pile of trash. It was impossible to see what it was at a long distance and even when Lux was a couple of meters away, he still had a hard time discerning what it was. When Lux picked the object up, he finally managed to see what it was. It was a dice. A dice that was completely different compared to normal dice. Inside it laid hundreds of different colors, twisting and turning in between each other. It felt as if the colors were alive and had a soul, allowing it to move around. At the same time, Lux noticed that the dots, that indicated the number on each of the six sides of the die, were so white it was almost enough to blind him.

Lux was completely mesmerized by it, and he could hardly keep his eyes off of it. It so was beautiful that it felt like an illusion. It felt like it could disappear if his eyes looked away.

After staring at the dice for a couple of minutes without blinking, Lux finally decided to put the dice in his pocket. He walked out of the alley, down the street, and towards his apartment which was located in the outside region of the city, where most of the beggars and homeless people lived. As he stood in front of his shabby apartment building, he couldn't help but feel a tinge of regret and anger. He was extremely angry about how he had lived his life, and on how little luck and fun he had had throughout his life. 

As he stood in front of the door, his palm moved down into his pocket to retrieve the keys. At the same time, the dice that he had placed in his pocket, accidentally fell out and began rolling on the ground.

 

I do not know when I'll be publishing this again, so please be patient!

2