Chapter 125 – Opponents
1.5k 5 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Aah, that was tiring.” While he rubbed the back of his neck, Corco let himself down on a sofa and put up a leg. “Do we still have any tea left somewhere or have the vultures emptied the kitchen?”

Even though he knew that cultivators would eat more than normal people, today's host had still been astounded by the appetite of his guests.

“Yes, King Corco. I have told the staff to retain a few pieces. Quato, please bring some tea,” Tama said, as she stood aside.

“As you please,” Quato answered from the door, before he left the master and servant alone in the room.

“You can go sit as well,” Corco said with a look up to Tama. He really didn't like her sneaking around behind his back all the time.

“Thank you, King Corco.” With silent steps, the girl walked past the table and took a seat on the second couch, to her master's opposite.

“...can you be a bit less stiff for once? Getting creeped out, to be honest. You don't need to try so hard to impress me.”

“Of course, King Corco.”

Although the girl was still stiff, for now it would have to do. At this point, they had more important matters to consider.

“So what's going on with our guests right now? Give me a summary.”

Dutiful as always, Tama brought her notes up to the table and began to read.

“To our surprise, most lords have stayed over night and will only leave in the morning. In fact, some lords have considered the purchase of a mansion in Saniya. Only young master Epunamo Villca has decided to leave sooner, possibly to follow his brother Uchu. It appears as if Lord Saqartu and Lord Ogulno considered an early departure as well, but when they heard the plans of the remaining lords, they were forced to stay as well.”

While the girl talked, Corco had gotten back into an upright position, but all of his grandeur disappeared when he heard the last sentence.

“Ahaha, turns out that not everything's going how my bratty cousin wants.”

Although Tama hid it well, Corco could still detect her smirk.

“From what our men tell me, Lord Mayu has been quite frustrated throughout the evening, even more so since your meeting. It appears as if he dislikes all the new connections we have built up with the lords he considers his own.”

“And how do those connections look?”

“Quite satisfactory as well. Although the duel and misfire were troubling at first, most lords didn't seem to mind all that much.”

“We're all a bit bloodthirsty down here,” Corco added.

“Instead of the dangers, they were more focused on our various trade goods, even more so after we announced our harvest for this year.”

“Is that so?” Accompanied by the tiniest smile, the king grasped for a cup of tea to hide his perfect expression behind, but found that Quato still hadn't returned.

“Yes. In fact, Lord Ogulno seemed intent to form a coalition of lords, to force Saniya into giving up its secret technologies. However, by the time he could talk to the other lords, most tables had been visited and knew about the fertilizer, iron tools and enclosures, so Ogulno's incitation fell on deaf ears. Still, even with the dangers involved, I believed we could have kept the secrets for ourselves. I am amazed that King wold show this much foresight to predict Lord Ogulno's move.”

“It's nothing that great, really,” Corco said as he stroked his invisible beard. “Yeah, I thought someone might try and use our good harvest against us, but I never wanted to hide the fertilizer in the first place.”

“You did not?” For the first time since the meeting started, the girl looked up from her notes.

“Of course not. Why would I? After all, we'll be much better off if we can sell our fertilizer to other lands. If the other lords start to depend on the fertilizer, then most of their harvest – which is most of their income by the way – will come from us. In that case, how could they pretend independence again?”

As the implications of the plan dawned on her, Tama's eyes grew large. This time, Corco was rather proud of his little ploy as well. Just as he had said, he would conquer the south not with guns, but with food and drink.

“Plus,” he continued, “all the people of Medala are my people. I have no reason to make a distinction between them and deny some a massive ease of life like cheaper food, just because they don't live on my lands. After all, sooner or later, all of them will be under my rule as well.”

After her initial shock, Tama regained her composure and put her notes in front of her mouth, to hide her smile.

“Hihi, very true, King Corco. Your greatness will shine all across and enlighten all of Medala.”

“Let's not go overboard. For now, we should first get our own backyard under control.”

Although Tama looked like she wanted to deny Corco's sober attitude, she was interrupted by a knock from the door.

“Ah, that should be Quato with the tea. Please excuse me, King Corco.”

As Tama stood up to open the door, she left her notes on the table. Fascinated, he picked up the paper. However, the king hadn't even found order in the chaos on the page, when a surprised scream from the door demanded his attention.

“What the hell is going on?” he shouted as he jumped out of his seat.

To his surprise, it wasn't Quato who had entered, but Atau instead. His face a mask of rage, Corco's cousin had grasped Tama's neck and silenced her scream, while he pushed her back, until she fell onto the couch once more.

“Stop! What the fuck are you doing!?” the king screamed and ran around the table.

“This is for the best, Laqhis. She's a traitor. She cannot be trusted!”

“What the fuck are you talking about! Let go!”

Desperate to save the girl, Corco ran towards them and grabbed hold of his cousin's arm, but of course he was too weak to shake off the much taller captain.

“I knew she was up to something, so I had Ivo follow after the bandit in secret. She's tried to kill him, did you know that? Again, same crap that happened with her brother! Even worse, the guy escaped! Now she's really done it!”

By now, Tama's eyes watered as she gasped for air, clawing at her attacker's hands. At last Corco understood where the problem lay. At last he knew how to solve it.

“Stop! I did it!” he shouted, happy that he wouldn't have to choke out his cousin to break up the fight.

“Huh?” Confused, the warrior turned his head. His fingers eased up in reflex, just enough for the girl to break free. Under fits of coughs and wheezes, Tama rolled off the sofa and onto the expensive carpet.

“I ordered the attack on Uchu,” the king said, with no time to worry about the girl. “I ordered the failure too. It's all been my plan.”

For a while, everything was quiet, as the warrior stared at him with an open mouth.

“Are you okay?” Corco asked the girl who still sat on the ground and held her neck. However, before she could say anything, Atau managed to form words again.

“Wait, that makes no sense. Why wouldn't you tell me?” he asked with a whisper.

“I'm curious myself right about now,” Corco said, and looked down to the girl who had already regained her composure. Although Tama dragged her body back to her feet with difficulty, her face was once again an unreadable mask. As he saw the red marks on her neck, he understood just how heavy Atau's hand had been. However, this was not the time for sympathy. He would clear all issues between the two, right here and now.

“Although King Corco ordered me to involve Captain Atau in the operation, this servant found it more prudent to use the warrior without his knowledge, lest the mad bull destroy the king's divine plan. As it turns out, my fears were more than justified,” she said as she rubbed the red streak marks across her neck.

“What did you-”

“Sit! Fuck me, if anyone here says another word out of line I'll make them governor of the tiniest island I can find!”

With a heaving chest, Corco looked between the two opponents. This was just about the worst outcome he could think of. At this point, two of his closest allies were a minute away from mutual destruction. It was time to air out the room. For the moment, he waited until both members of his court had taken a seat, opposite each other of course. A sigh aired the king's grievances.

“Okay, so what is all of this pointless infighting about?” he asked Atau first.

“That woman can't be trusted. Even if she followed your instructions this time, she still didn't tell me anything.”

“Tama,” Corco looked over, hoping for a better answer.

“King Corco, it has become more than clear that Captain Atau cannot control himself. If he had been informed of our plans, there was a chance he would have ruined them.”

“I distinctly remember telling you to get Atau involved, and my memory is pretty good, so don't bullshit me. When it comes to combat, he knows what he's doing, and I trust him more than anyone. There was no reason to involve him in a secret combat mission.”

“But the captain was involved, King Corco.”

“I'm right here. No reason to lie in my face like this.” With a low growl, Atau pushed his body forward, closer to the unfazed girl across the table.

“Captain, I am loathe to tell you the details, but you were in fact involved in our plans. After all, you made sure the bandit Uchu saw how his brother Epunamo had spied on him. Thus, Epunamo would also know the time of Uchu's departure.”

Again Atau stopped for a second, as realization dawned on his face.

“During the banquet, it was one of your people who told me about some suspicious guy hidden in Corco's path!”

“Indeed it was. Any like a splendid warrior, captain found young master Epunamo and presented him to young master Uchu. I believe like this, I have fulfilled King Corco's orders,” Tama smiled back.

Just as Corco was about to explode again, the door to the room opened without warning.

“Can't you knock before you enter!?” Already fed up with the pettiness of his people, the king's head shot around to admonish the newest intruder on his victory lap. To his surprise, it once again wasn't Quato who had come back with the tea.

“Everyone seems quite busy. Shall I come back later?” alchemist Bombasticus asked with a smile.

“Ronnie, sorry about that. Please come in.”

“As the king demands,” he said, and placed a tray loaded with a teapot and several cups on the table between the silent combatants. In ignorance of the atmosphere around him, the alchemist began to set up the cups and pour the tea.

“So how is that Tawo guy?” Corco asked. For a moment, the addressed Ronnie looked at the king, before he returned his attention to the tea.

“I've tended to the man's wounds, but I am no doctor after all. However, he will live. Even so, I am still unsure why Tawo was tasked to only injure the bandit.”

“Wait, you knew about the plan as well?” Atau asked as his eyes bored holes into the back of Ronnie's skull.

“Oh, Lady Tama, are you hurt? This looks dangerous.” Ignorant of the captain's anger, the fake doctor noticed the spy's fresh bruises instead.

“Nevermind that, where did you hear about our plans?” Tama asked in a shrill voice as she jumped from her seat. What Atau's anger hadn't managed with all its force, Ronnie's care handled with ease. At last Tama had lost her composure.

“Oh, Tawo told me, just now. Tough I am still unsure about the exact reason for the plan, I am sure master Corco has things under control.” Once all cups had been filled, the alchemist looked back up, to see everyone stare at him, frozen in shock. How could the assassin Tawo talk about his attack to a complete stranger?

“What can I say?” Ronnie asked, a sparkle in his smile as if he had waited for their reactions. “I am almost as talented with words as I am with alchemy!”

“Anyways, you two need to get your egos back in check.” While Corco ignored his friend's boast, he picked up his tea at last. “This is no way to handle politics. Tama, by your own admission, the attack didn't go well. The shot was supposed to hit the torso, but went low instead. If the attack had gone the slighest bit more wrong, you would have killed Uchu.”

“Plus, Tawo almost died when he tried to kill the youngest Villca for no good reason. A great warrior like Atau, someone who has experience with firearms, could have prevented a lot of your trouble. Yes, technically, theoretically, in the narrowest sense, you followed orders. But we all know that's bullshit. I won't allow any more word-play like this, or I can't have you around Saniya, or any place I control. Do you understand?” Meek like a wet kitten, the girl nodded her head, before she picked up her cup of tea and took a sip, all without raising her head. Although Corco wasn't impressed by her act, at least for now it would have to do. Still, he would need to do more to restrain her power in the following months.

“Cousin, you can't just go around assaulting our people, even if you think you have a good reason. If you can't keep your anger in check you'll be a liability, even if we're related. You attacked a fucking mortal with your full cultivator strength for fuck's sake! What is wrong with you?”

Even though the captain nodded as well, his head was still high, and he wouldn't even touch his tea. Unlike Tama, he had no interest in appearing remorseful. Atau would know that Corco didn't care about grand gestures. The captain would show his commitment with deeds instead, as was his style. Rather than worry about his present, Atau was much more focused on their future.

“Okay, so the spy girl planned the botched assassination on your order? How does that even help us?”

“Ah, strap yourself in for this one, it's pretty brilliant.” Sporting a wide grin, Corco put down the tea and rubbed his hands.

“So, while the attack was happening, we made sure to leave clues. If Uchu or his little brother aren't idiots, they'll soon deduct how Epunamo sent the killer. Plus, me trying to kill Uchu makes no sense anyways, it just gives Epunamo power, something I want to avoid. Like this, the brothers are pitted against each other and the south-east is in flames. It's perfect. As he looks for even more support from the north, Epunamo will become the leading candidate for House Villca's rule.”

“Meanwhile, a strong south-east supported by the northerners will only unite the south-west. Who will they unite under? Your brother Mayu, who can't even control his own court, or me, who has all the cannons? This way, we already have a firm hold on half of Sachay. At the same time, Cashan still has two possible heirs beyond Epunamo, which makes it easy for us to get involved and control the region in the future. All we need to do is hold the Narrows against Pacha. This is just about the best-case scenario we could wish for. Aside from an all-out war against every estate, this is the fastest way for us to win over the south. We'd lose that all-out war, by the way, so don't even think about it.”

“Wait, but didn't the bandit get shot? What if he died?” the captain asked. In truth, Corco was glad they could move away from their problems and focus on their achievements, though he was sure that his cousin was just eager to prove his insight, and thus his worth. Still, with a raised finger, the king continued.

“Ah, we used less powder in the pistol, and an iron ball. The wound should be shallow and the ball wouldn't have transformed as much as a lead ball would, which means less damage. Plus, there's no lead poisoning either. The guy's a cultivator, so he should be fine.”

“And what if the assassin loses? How do we know this Tawo guy is a decent fighter?”

This time, the smile on Corco's face froze. It was an option they had considered, though he really didn't like their considerations.

“We don't, of course. Still, even if Tawo dies, our goals are achieved. If they can identify him, he would be Tawo d'Ichilia, a warrior under the Ichilia clan. A man who tried and failed to take over Saniya in the past, but now returned to my city under order of his newest master. Although if Tawo died we'd still have trouble with the bandits in our backyard, at least Uchu wouldn't suspect us. Instead, Epunamo with his connections to the north would once again become the prime suspect.”

“As expected of King Corco, truly brilliant!” With a clap and a bright voice, Tama made herself visible again. However, Atau was still focused on his cousin.

“So that's it? Now we got the south just like that?” he asked the most critical question. In response, Corco looked to the back of the room, where a map of Medala was hung up behind his desk.

“Well, I guess that would depend on how Uchu takes the message we prepared for him, and how the north reacts. Let's just hope they give us enough time to prepare. Because time is all we need.”

A bit earlier today, here is the last regular chapter of Book 3! Only one more Epilogue to follow and we move into Book 4.

I hope you like my solution to this, and you're happier now if you thought before that Corco was too soft/passive. I didn't end up writing out all possible implications and permutations of the plan, because that would have been dumb and boring, but please tell me if I missed something obvious, and let me explain to you why you're wrong (or I'll concede and rework the chapter).

22