Chapter 157 – Reunions
1.2k 19 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 As soon as he saw the town of Hueatlan on the shore, Corco knew that even here, the old adage of this world held true: Wherever he had gone, there had been a rich west and a poor east.

Although the region of Xallisco, land of the great Lord Huemac, sat within the tropics and right along the water, Corco couldn't see a single tree. Maybe it was the distant mountains in the north, or the westerly winds which blew across the endless land of Chutwa, but the town of Hueatlan was surrounded by dried, cracked mud, interrupted by hardy shrubs. In between all this misery, the town itself consisted of short-stacked houses. Since they were build form the same kind of mud, they blended into the environment, yet were still an impressive reminder of humanity's resilience.

As familiar as the Verdant Isles had seemed to Corco, as strange was Chutwa. Not only did the town lack a proper wall, its stone and mud houses, as well as its trapezoid doors and its strangely flowing arcs made Corco aware of the distance to his home. Although the Chutwa were somewhat similar to the Yaku in terms of skin color and appearance, the local stares greeted him as soon as he stepped off the ship. Maybe it was the unknown flag he flew, or maybe its incredible, vibrant purple. Though Corco assumed that their interest was more down to all the silver and silk he had loaded his body with. For the first meeting with his new brother-in-law, Corco had done his best to look presentable.

Meanwhile, his debonair companion was much more casual about their visit.

“So, where's the grand reception?” Prince Wacoca asked, still dressed in his usual sleeveless vest.

“This feels familiar, huh?” Corco mumbled as he looked over the dilapidated port town. Sleepy and quaint, or maybe derelict and deserted, he found himself in a similar position to the last time he had set foot on a continent. Wasn't this town just the same as his arrival in Porcero? He really hoped they wouldn't have to threaten their way to a resolution this time. Although he wouldn't mind forcing the hand of the locals, they didn't have enough men for any big plays.

“This must be young master Corco.” As he thought on their chances to deal with the local militia, he heard a familiar voice. Although he had only spoken with him once back in the capital, servant Mazatl 's unique arrogance had made him easy to remember. As he watched the servant of the local lord walk towards him with another five servants in tow, the king faked a smile.

“Mazatl, what joy to meet again so soon!” he lied. Meanwhile, he could feel Wacoca lean in close.

“So that provincial lord sends his servant to meet you and doesn't even call you king?” the verdant prince whispered.

“Shhh,” Corco silenced his overhonest companion. “It's Chutwa.” As if that was all the answer needed to explain his actions, Corco marched forward and received the servant with a hug in typical Chutwa fashion. Of course, the Chutwa weren't an especially warm people. Rather, they would hug servants so as to facilitate bribes. Although Corco had never been to the 'sophisticated' Empire to the west, he had been taught Chutwa practices in his youth, and so he knew to slip the greedy servant a few sheets of silver during their embrace.

After they had separated, Mazatl felt for the cold metal in his pocket. Even then, he glanced down to see the shine of the material, before he graced the king with a calm nod, as if it was natural.

“Please follow this way. Chatra Huemac houses his concubines outside of town, upon the northern hills.”

After Corco looked over his shoulder and jerked his head forward, his men followed, each of their hands full with a large, wooden chest. Rather than the guns and cannons he had used on Saliena back in Porcero, these treasures would be the weapons Corco would use to achieve his goals here. All he needed to do was meet up with his new brother-in-law and let his wealth do the talking.

As he looked around, he became more and more aware that Lord Huemac could use his silver. Although the streets were filled with Chutwa scholars locked in games on with books in their hands, their usual, clean white robes looked filthy brown instead. Many had holes, but only some had been patched up. Not even the brothel they marched past made any special attempt to appeal to patrons.

Worst of all were several groups of robed figures. In groups of three and four, they swaggered through the town as if they owned the place. Indeed, when one of them crossed their path, Mazatl  made way as if it was natural.

“Wait, what did you mean by 'concubines'? Where are we going?” At last, Corco realized what his guide's earlier words meant. When he looked over to the man besides him, he saw the servant's familiar sneer again.

“Of course, young master will be brought to his sister. Young master did not believe his visit would warrant attention from Lord Huemac, did he?”

“Of course not,” Corco smiled, and put another counter on his mental list. “Although I have to say that I rule my own land now, so calling me young master seems inappropriate, doesn't it?”

“Of course, Master Corco.” As a servant, Mazatl should have been well aware of the rudeness of this address, putting a king on the same level as a master craftsman. Again Corco swallowed the insult. Again, he vowed not to forget it, as silence fell over their group.


“So in the end, father's empire was split up.” Though they hadn't seen each other for an entire, eventful year, Corco's sister hadn't changed at all. After her marriage and her long time in Chutwa, she still wore the same expensive silks with the same grace that was so uncharacteristic for a woman her size.

“Yeah, things are messy for now. I aim to fix that though. Just give me a bit more time.” Corco leaned back in one of those ankle-high stools the Chutwa seemed to like so much. At least the pillow was decent.

“But why would you make the long trip here when there are so many troubles at home already? Why make this dangerous trip, as a king no less? What if something happens to you, brother?”

“Well, I would have sent someone else, but who could have come here? Most of my close aides are busy with their own matters, so my options were limited. Plus, looked at the way they treat me already, and I'm a king. Do you think your husband would have let any other man even meet with his beautiful bride?” Corco winked, but Yasimi's face remained a mask. For a while they sat in silence while they sipped their tea. Yasimi had said it was a rare blend from the mountains of Enyana, though Corco really couldn't tell what that meant. No matter where it came from, the drink wasn't bad. Even if their cultish scholars were as dangerous as their desire to dominate their neighbors, the Chutwa knew how to brew one hell of a tea.

“I do not believe Chatra Huemac is very interested in someone like me,” Yasimi broke through the quiet. Although her face was still stiff, her eyes were cast down, into the tea cup between her hands.

“He's not? That's a surprise. Weren't you courted by most young masters in Medala? I've heard the stories,” Corco teased. Of course he himself could never share the Medalan sense of aesthetics when it came to women, but still, back when her name had still been Prima, Yasimi must have been very popular in the capital.

“Unlike me, most noble women in Chutwa are rather frail. I believe the cause lies with the dominance of the scholars in Chutwa. Rather than a strong heir, the Chutwa nobles hope for a smart heir. Thus, most young ladies set themselves apart with a good grasp of language and the arts.”

“But you're good with language as well, aren't you? After all, you leaned Chutwa well enough, right?”

“Indeed. Otherwise, Chatra Huemac would have never deigned to marry me, not even as a mere concubine. All the silver in Arguna would not have changed that had I been found lacking.”

“So you don't see your husband a lot then?” he asked a question he was very interested in. How could he establish trade relations if he never met the local lord?

“You have seen my abode yourself, have you not, brother?”   

When Corco had been led through the local town, he had already noticed how much more closed off the Chutwa buildings were compared to the open style in Medala. However, even among Chutwa buildings, Yasimi's mansion seemed especially dark. Of course, the very rigid, geometrical style of the Chutwa didn't help any with the interior design, and neither did the old, worn down furniture and the servant girl with the limp who had led Corco here.   

“So what do you do all day then?” he asked.

“Well, if nothing else, at least I have found some purpose here, something I would have been denied back in Medala. In fact, Queen Mother has given me some silver as part of my dowry, enough to make sure I would matter to my new husband. Though of course her thoughts were only on Pacha, this capital has been of great help nonetheless. Since my arrival, I have been put in charge of two local shops of the Huemac clan within Hueatlan city. Presumably, Chatra Huemac believes that even if his new concubine makes a mistake in the management, she will be able to pay back her debt from her own dowry.”

“Wait... 'Queen Mother'?” Corco asked.

“Well, since none of Lady Ichilia's sons have become emperor, calling her the empress mother appears... unseemly.” It was at this moment Yasimi's mask broke and revealed a sly smile. For a while they sipped their tea again, but the atmosphere felt far less oppressive.

“...so how are the shops going?” the brother asked at last.

“Progress on their income has been satisfactory so far.” Yasimi smiled a shallow smile. With her understated nature, 'satisfactory' would mean her work had been a great success. At last, Corco made the connection to his gift, that he might in fact be involved in her success.

“Have you read the book?” he asked in reference to the pieces of knowledge he had written down for Yasimi as a marriage present.

“'On the Nature of Economics'.” She nodded. “It is a title most fitting for such a fundamental work.”

After he had looked over his shoulder, Corco leaned forward and whispered. Not everyone here needed to hear everything he had to offer.

“Where is it?”

“Not to worry, brother.” She waved off his concerns as her smile grew warmer. “I burned it. No one has read it but me, and the only place where it remains is in here.” Yasimi's short fingers tapped on her temple. In response, Corco leaned back and rubbed his hands together. This trip might turn out to be even more of a success than he had thought.

“In that case, winning over your husband should be easy. What do you think about turning this town into the major trading hub of the Verduic Sea?”

“That seems an unlikely goal, even with all the advanced knowledge you have taught me. Here, along the Verduic coast, we see very little trade. All the Chutwa tributaries do their business further north. Meanwhile, the great Chutwa cities are mostly in the west, far away from us. The last great city lies many days south from here. Truly, we are in the middle of nowhere.”

“But you're still right along the fertile Verduic sea.” Corco added. How could a city along such a rich sea be this poor?

“...which makes us susceptible to pirates, nothing more.” Yasimi corrected her brother's mistake. “There are many problems other my husband has to deal with before he can even consider something as fanciful as economic development. Under these circumstances, it appears unlikely we will be able to turn Hueatlan into a trading hub.”

“You say that now, but wait until you see the presents I brought along.”

Corco grinned, and opened the box he had brought in with him. Although his men had been forced to stay outside the home of Lord Huemac's concubine, they had put together a sample of all the treasures from the east for Yasimi and her husband to enjoy. Scented soap and perfumes, lighters, crystal glass and mirrors, and of course their purple dye.

“What is all this?” Yasimi asked in a breathless voice. For the first time since their reunion, she didn't seem in full control of her emotions. With large eyes and the curiosity of a child, the teenage girl picked up one rare treasure after another to inspect them. At last, she looked back up and stared at Corco in wonder. “Brother, you have not been lazy in the past year.”

“You think this might be enough to convince your husband to focus a bit on trade? I just need a single meeting to convince him.”

“This would be enough to change the power structure of the entire Chutwa east coast.” For a moment, Yasimi's jaw clenched as she frowned at the tea in her hand. Her decision made, she looked back to her brother. “In four days, I will meet husband during the great family dinner held every twenty-seven days. At that time, I will be able to speak to him and make a few suggestions. Until then, you can stay in the city and look around a bit. Do try to restrain your curiosity though and stay out of danger.”

“Hey, when have I ever done something dangerous?” Corco's open arms were greeted by Yasimi's suspicious stare. Confronted with his serious sister, the king was forced to lower his hands again. “Fine, I'll try to hold back. I do have important business though, so I'll be moving around a bit. Recruiting talents and such.”   

As Yasimi nodded, she looked at the treasures in the wooden box again. No longer were her eyes filled with wonder. Instead, another frown had spread across her face. “By the way, brother: How many people know of your plans?”

Always thinking ahead.

“No one outside of Medala should know about this. Even Prince Wacoca only knows that I came to Chutwa to visit my sister, and to give my cousin Mayu some space to court the Verdant Princess.”

As soon as she heard of courtship, Yasimi's eyes turned into stars.

“Oh, I smell a juicy story. Please tell me more.” She leaned forward.

“With pleasure.”

And thus, brother and sister wasted a few more hours with gossip, before each went back to change the world. 

Sorry about all the late chapters recently. Writing these chapters has been tough, to be honest. This hasn't even been a time problem though. I always struggle to end an arc, always afraid that I'll hate the final result and scrap the whole thing once I finish... just that this time is much worse than before. 

Another chapter or two and this mini-arc will be mostly done at least. I'll try and get an extra chapter out as well, to punish myself for the constant delays (which means three more chapters until sunday). That'll teach me (hopefully).

16