Chapter 163 – Two Meetings
1.1k 2 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Lord Huemac, what a lovely home you have.” With his best merchant's smile, Croco marched through the dim room, towards the imposing figure of Chatra Huemac. The fake compliment was an attempt to light up the archaic surroundings.

Not only was the lord's figure lit with hot coals from behind his back, he also sat elevated on a crude dais of stone. Even though the king stood tall, the seated Chatra's silhouette still stood above. A heavy robe, folded and stitched in complex layers all around Huemac's body, gave the lord the appearance of inhuman size.

Are those padded shoulders? You're kidding me.

No matter what he thought of the lord's fashion sense, Corco decided to make a good first impression and keep design tips to himself for now. Thus he walked forward, until the guards around the edges of the room began to tense up. Of course his sister had informed him about the proper etiquette, but talking to the Chatra like a servant would do no good if they wanted to establish close cooperation in the future. He would have to take a few risks and break a few rules if he wanted to be taken seriously. At least that was what Yasimi had told him of his new brother-in-law.

“...anyways, I'm glad to see my sister has found a new home in such an impressive mansion. When we met she seemed well taken care of. I'm thankful for that,” Corco said as he sat on the padded ground. In response, he lord's silhouette moved for the first time, though the shadowy head only hinted at a tiny nod.

“Despite her lowly status as a foreigner, Lady Yasimi has proven valuable support. She has handled the stores entrusted to her in a very satisfactory manner.” The lord's voice was much more youthful than Corco would have assumed at first. This Chatra Huemac couldn't be any older than Corco himself.

“Our sister was always the smartest of the bunch.” The king decided to do some PR for his little sister. “She knows a whole lot about business, so I'm sure you'll have many more chances to be surprised. Look forward to that.”

“This lord was indeed surprised to find his newest wife present these rare treasures during the last grand family meeting. In fact, the other wives were quite envious of the favor they expected her to gain.” After a wave of the lord's hand, a guard stepped up to Corco and opened the small box of marketing samples Corco had given to his sister.   

“This is my fault. Yasimi had to move fast since I will not stay around for much longer.” Now willing to see her harmed by his own actions, the king tried to excuse his sister's actions. “I'm sure she would have been more discreet if she had been given the chance.”

Rather than reply to Corco's excuses, the Chatra still seemed focused on the precious objects in question.

“How can such treasures hail from barbarian lands? Rather than stem from uncivilized coasts, were they not transported from the far west of the great Empire? Is this not an attempt to trick this Chatra?”

Of course the question was ridiculous, but of course, it also spoke of the arrogance of the Chutwa Empire. As such, of course, Corco had expected it and prepared an answer the self-obsessed lord could accept.

“Ah, see, these are the combined treasures of the entire eastern half of the world. As you might know, the landmass of Medala splits the world into two equal halves. That makes us the only feasible way to transport treasures from anywhere east of the center to Chutwa. The world is a large and wondrous place. Even the less developed lands out east would be able to offer a few things to the great Chutwa Empire. Bring all of them together and they will appear in incredible splendor.”

“So that was the case. Even so, the great Empire does not trade with outside forces. It is forbidden by the great Immortal Palace.”

“Which is why I'm here to offer the wares, and not in the capital.” Corco spread his hands as if his revelation was obvious. “Yeah, the central powers of Chutwa don't like outsiders and they aren't especially keen on trade with outside forces either. I can't go the legal route on this, so I had to get creative. Medala isn't even a tributary state.”

For now he held down his own views on the so-called 'tributaries' of Chutwa, who in truth were little more than vassal nations.

“Even if Medala was, not even the tributaries are allowed proper trade with the great Empire. All they are afforded is the honor to offer the Immortal Emperor a tribute once a year. If the emperor deigns their tribute sufficient, the tributaries will receive gifts in return.”

“Yeah, the leftovers of the empire, whatever isn't needed by the powers that be. Those are hardly what I'm interested in, and hardly worthy of my own treasures,” Corco scoffed. Since Huemac spoke quite openly about these things, he could open up a bit as well. “Still, the silk and tea and porcelain of Chutwa are well-known all throughout the world. All those treasures are making their way out of the empire some way.”

“Not a savory topic to speak of.” In defense, Huemac's shadow raised a hand. It seemed like he didn't want to participate in the smuggling business of his colleagues.

“So you're not interested in a deal then? I really don't mind if that's the case, though I would prefer if we could work together, if only for my sister's sake. No need to beat around the bush, you can just tell me if something bothers you.”

For a moment Huemac stared at Corco, until he offered a determined nod.

“Although secret trade is a worthwhile proposition indeed, there are many problems involved. For one, this Chatra does not have the necessary connections to launch such an undertaking. Although other nobles trade with the outside, they cannot do so on a large scale without knowledge from the Immortal Palace. Only if they know men deep within the palace can they make sure their actions go unpunished. However, this Chatra is a simple administrator, stuck at the fringes of the empire. How could he manage such a large operation and not offend men of great power?”

“Well, that's easy enough, isn't it?” Corco grinned. He had long considered how to crack the isolationist attitude of the great Chutwa scholars. Now was the time to test some of his plans. “First we need to start on a small scale, which is easy to hide. We'll just trade between ourselves, and you bunker whatever you don't use for yourself. Once you have a amassed a decent amount of treasures from the east, you can travel to the capital. Once there, present those eastern treasures as gifts from the kingdom of 'Great Britain'.”

“Where is this kingdom of 'Great Britain'?” An interested Huemac asked.

“Somewhere in the east, probably,” the king shrugged as he suppressed a laugh. “It doesn't really matter. All that great foreign kingdom needs to do is swear its fealty to the Immortal Emperor of Chutwa. After all, 'Great Britain' was founded by a scholar from the far off Chutwa Empire. On his travels around the world, to educate the barbarians, he got sick and had to settle down. However, even in the distance he could not forget his great empire and thus decided to bring as much of its light to his new home, even if it was only a shallow copy.”

“A lie then,” Huemac said.

“It's a good story, I'd say. Consider this: Will the great scholars accept that these treasures are of any value if they come from barbarian lands? If you can't establish any connection to Chutwa, an scholar could ruin your plans with a single word.”

Since Huemac didn't answer, sunk in thought, Corco continued his persuasion.

“Anyways, once the great nobles and scholars have accepted these treasures as part of the Chutwa tradition, they will try your samples. Once they do, all of them will want to obtain even more of them. At that point, I'm sure that one, specific tributary wouldn't have any trouble getting an exception on the rules of trade. Great Britain is practically a Chutwa colony anyways. And since these mysterious easterners only deal with me as a middle-man, and since the middle-man only deals with you through his sister, your city will become a central trade hub for the empire. How's that sound?”

“However, even if this Chatra were to agree with this sort of ploy, implementation would still be impossible. It appears as if young master Corco does not understand the grandeur of the Immortal Palace. If this Chatra wished to win over most of the palace, he would have to offer far too much. A lot of dye and... mirrors would be needed to convince every man in the capital. This Chatra presumes they would not be given for free. How would a poor land like Hueatlan ever pay for them?”

Under other circumstances, Corco would have at least considered to write these off as marketing costs, but at the moment he had more important things to worry about. Since he couldn't be generous, he decided to be just.

“Well, in the short term, you can just pay us in food. That wouldn't be a problem, would it? I've heard you have a pretty large stockpile, and we're willing to pay you well in return.”

Although the lord bent down to think for a while, in the end his posture relaxed again.

“Even so, the needs of Medala may not be sufficient.”

“There's more as well.” Glad that he could broach the subject in a natural manner, Corco raised a finger. “You see, we have been going around your city to find a good doctor over the last few days. After all, the doctors of Medala aren't much compared to the great Chutwa physicians.”

“True indeed.” Huemac's voice ballooned with pride.

“Right, so we decided to recruit a few doctors for our personal use back home. When we recruit Chutwa doctors, we can also make use of Chutwa medicine, so we could also trade with Hueatlan's herbs. Though I hope recruiting doctors would be fine. I don't want to impose.”

“Of course.” Even though the Chatra's words were kind, his voice dripped with condescension. “If there are any Chutwa Doctors beyond that street doctor who wish to leave the great Empire for barbarian lands, you are free to take them with you.”

“Thank you very much.” Corco bowed to hide his grin. Things had gone almost too well. In this way, he could complete his plans with ease. Once he had regained control of his face, the king was ready to stand and leave, but the Chatra raised his hand to stop him. His smile unwavering, Corco waited for the lord to speak.

“However, this lord has received news of a troubling sort. It appears as if young master Corco has made trouble in his attempts to recruit these doctors. The Sword Saint did not appreciate young master Corco's recruiting efforts and the flowing water sect has been disturbed. This is not the kind of trouble this Chatra wishes to see on his lands.”

“Well, that's not exactly what happened.” Corco looked around to the guards in the room, before he continued in a lowered voice. “To be frank, that young sect master ran around the city, shouting how he's the city's real master, how the local Chatra is a coward who does not deserve the grace of the Immortal Palace.”

“What!?” When Huemac jumped up from anger, Corco could see his plump, smooth face. He couldn't be older than twenty-five. “Is that the truth!?”

Too easy, Corco thought, before he nodded with a grave face.

“Would I lie to my own brother-in-law? Really, I couldn't stand his arrogant manners, so I told him off right away. No one talks about my little sister's husband like that. Though when I talked with the guy, the doctor we tried to recruit got caught in the middle and was injured. Meanwhile that so-called 'Swordsaint' sent his henchmen after us, rather than face me in a proper duel. In the end we had no choice but to hide within the Chatra's mansion. However, if it is an inconvenience we will leave right away.”

Although his face was still dark with anger, Huemac seemed to have calmed down somewhat. When he stepped down from his dais, his guards rustled around for a bit, but did not move in the end. When he arrived in front of the barbarian king, he stretched out his hand.

“No need. This Chatra will stand to those who stand with him. Never will he abandon an ally, or a member of his family.”

Especially not one who stands to make you so much money, huh?Corco thought as he grasped the young lord's soft and fattened hand.

“However, brother Corco may leave this Chatra alone for now. There are many matters to consider. Please stay within the compound as a guest until a decision can be made.”

“But I wanted to go out and recruit a few more doctors. Isn't that possible?”

In response, the Chatra nodded without much thought.

“Do be careful. Do not leave the premises without a guard.”

“Of course not. I don't aim to force a fight with that Swordsaint. I am not suicidal after all.”

As he turned, Corco's grin turned wider and wider. If he wasn't completely off, he wouldn't have to provoke a fight anymore. The fight would find him all by itself.


“Brother, you should never underestimate other people the way you do. No-one who holds power is an idiot, and you cannot fathom the might of the Flowing Water Sect.”

After Corco had left his meeting with the Chatra, Yasimi's maid had awaited him right out the door and brought him to his sister again. Now Yasimi stared at him with a frown of disapproval.

“Don't worry, I know what I'm doing. I'm in no danger.”

“I am not worried about you, brother,” she sighed. “I am worried about my new home.”

“I thought you didn't like it here?”   

“Although husband has been a bit distant, I have far more freedom and purpose here than I ever had in the Silver Palace. I do not wish to see this city destroyed by your... reckless ploys.”

At once Corco calmed himself. Even though he had considered his sister's future in his plan, he didn't need to keep it all to himself. How would she be served by worrying for no reason, or even by losing trust in him? Thus, he decided to explain a bit more to Yasimi.

“If my plan works out well, Hueatlan will be fine, and you will be even more fine. Everyone will win, except for that Flowing Water Sect maybe. Look, I don't plan to trick you, or lie to you. I don't mind telling you all the details of the plan. That way you're prepared. Just don't tell your husband for now.”

“I would rather not be any more involved.” A smile formed on her lips. “This way, at least I can pretend ignorance in front of husband.”

“Clever as always, huh?” Corco grinned.

“So you do plan something troubling for House Huemac.” The sister laughed, as if it wasn't her own house.

“Well, now I can't tell you anymore, can I?” the brother laughed. “Don't worry though, it's gonna be a lot of fun, zero hangover guaranteed. Let's just hope those xianxia people are as cliché as I pegged them to be.”

20