Through the Woods
65 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Through the Woods

“Alright! I’ll tell ya’. Just stop pestering me about it. It’s Hornsby. My real name is Hornsby.” 

Thera collapses in a fit of giggles very much the opposite of her original demeanor. Falling backwards from the log she was sitting on, she held her sides with tears running from her eyes.

“Oh gods! That’s…that’s just too…Ooooh, my….”

“So that’s why you just go by Horn. At least nobody ever called you roll on.” Roland says thinking back to his childhood. This, of course, only makes Thera laugh harder and even Lily smiles in the fire light. 

Two days now they had been on the road. Most of the tension from the previous meeting went out of them after the first couple of monster ambushes. Surrounded by the sounds of his companions’ conversations, Roland quietly reviews his days since landing in this strange world. Lingering in the back of his mind several dark sports stalk back and forth through his consciousness.

His vision now constantly being enhanced as well and his hearing a sense of smell. His frame now wiry and lean with muscle standing out over his arms and shoulders. His lather armor polished and gleaming in the light of the fire. 

“I can’t imagine many people picking a fight with you now.” Lily says. “I still find the amber eyes disturbing. You look quite a bit like a wolf in the dark.”  

“There were a lot of Wargs in the last fight. New form and more options. Though they taste nasty.”

“You should make sure your card is up to date with the Guild when we reach Bahi. It affects what jobs you take or get assigned.” Horn says. 

“You’re right. I’ll do that first thing when we get there. I’m going to take the first watch, so you guys can crash for now.” Roland says. 

As darkness falls over the woods, the already meager light begins to further weaken casting the forest into a semi-twilit gloom. 

Roland scans the trees while stretching his senses to their limits. His sense of hearing and smell are even more sensitive than they were prior to his most recent enhancements. He hears the small forest creatures scuttling about in the leaves under the trees as the wind moves branches gently back and forth. Thera giggles to herself quietly even while sleeping. A slight smile crosses his lips as Roland keeps watch over his teammates. He might even say that they are his friends.  Though they had a rocky start fighting with them along the road and many night time conversations. Horn and Lily knew each other before and even Thera warned to the both eventually. 

Hours pass as he keeps watch. Noticing the fire burning a little low, he stokes it with some more of the wood the four had gathered earlier.  A light footstep reaches his ears then another and another. The steps are rapidly growing louder and closer. 

“Hey guys, time to get up we’ve got something coming right at us.” Roland shouts as he readies his talons and braces for an attack. A loud crash rends the peace of the night as the creature pushes its way through the trees and underbrush. First one, then another, then another appears in the clearing. The lead monster raises a large club as it bellows and charges toward the adventurers’ camp. Roland leaps at the first creature.  It's large, much bigger than a human, with heavy features and a sloping brow. Enormous tusks protrude menacingly from its jaw. Heavy muscle ropes its arms and chest as it swings its club down. Roland lands on its head, the massive club just missing him as he swipes at the monster's eyes. It peels him off easily with a free hand and tosses him away, howling with pain and rage. Dark blood runs freely down its face, one eye destroyed, marked clearly by Roland’s talons. 

A roar sounds across the forest as heavy feet drum a tattoo on the ground. Horn slams full speed into the wounded monster with his great shield leading the way. Spikes dig brutally into the giant's stomach. Shoving it back one step, his mace flashes out smashing across the brute’s knees. 

A shimmering field of green surrounds Roland and Horn as Lily’s spell enfolds them.  At the same time, a spear flies from the shadows from behind the second monster and pierces its brain. Thera steps from the shadows as the giant topples forward. 

 Roland and Horn tag team the remaining monster. Horn smashes it backwards with his mace as Roland’s talons tear out the giant's throat. 

Slipping from its backfire dripping from his hands Roland finds his mouth watering at the thought of getting his hands on such a massive creatures heart. His hand slides to his belt knife as he begins to cut his way through the tough muscles of the monsters chest. 

“Well, that was fun.” Horn says breathing heavily and shaking from the adrenaline run off. 

“Ugh Roland really.” Thera says looking over at him and seeing him halfway into the things chest blood covering him to his elbows the still warm heart of his kill in his hands. 

“What?”

“Bahi. Finally, we made it.” Thera sighs, exhausted but thrilled to be at the capital gates. 

“Horn and me can take the crystal on to the magus if you two need to find a place to rest.” Roland says. 

“We have to pass through Bahi anyway to get to the western gate. It's the only access point to the magus tower from here.” Horn tells them all. 

The four pass through the gates and head down the main thoroughfare of the city. Bahi is huge in comparison to the little town Roland was in before, and he looks around gawking like a true tourist. As the four make their way to the guild house, Lily bumps into a small child knocking him down.

“Oh, I’m sorry little one. Are you okay?” 

Immediately, a group of ragged children rush her and begin swarming about her and Thera’s legs pushing their hands out for any scraps they can get. Seeing that nothing more was forthcoming, they scatter away just as quickly as they came. 

“Awww, they were so pitiful.” Thera says sadly. “Yes. I thought the nobles took better care of their people.” Lily says. 

Roland, who backed up as soon as all the small kids surrounded the two, looks up with a smirk on his face. 

“Yep, just precious. You better check your purse. I’m pretty sure those cuties just robbed you two blind.”

“What!”

“Yup. I’ve seen that kinda thing before.” Horn says “We’ll track ‘em down after we get the crystal in the hands of the magus. Now, let’s go.” 

With the crystal delivery completed, the four land in the guild tap room. Drinks in hand, Horn and Roland toast to celebrate a successful trip. Lily and Thera look at the two with narrowed eyes. 

“Can we please track down those little thieves now?” Lily says. 

Well, somebody’s got to be running that crew. The kids are too well organized.”  Horn says, looking down into his tankard. “I’ll talk with the guild folks and see if they’ve had any problems reported. Thera, you could skip out tonight and watch the street where we came in to see if they hit others or if we just go lucky.” 

“Okay. I can do that. Hornsby.” She says with a grin. 

“Ugh, I knew I wasn't going to hear the end of that one for a while.  Roland, don’t forget that you really need to update your guild card.”

“I’ll take care of that first thing in the morning. I’m off to bed. See you guys later,” Roland says as he heads for the stairs. 

A few seconds later, a loud noise draws the attention of the whole room as Roland comes crashing back down the stairs and lands against the wall. 

Horn scrambles across the room towards his partner. Checking him over, he notices Roland is burning up with fever, his eyes open but glazed and unseeing. 

“Damn, essence break.” Horn murmurs worriedly. 

1