Seventy-second Encounter
2.2k 6 50
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Seventy-second Encounter

“Hey, Lily, I’m back. I brought Peony too.” (Emmara)

“Welcome back, love!” (me)

“It’s good to see you again. I hope you don’t mind a bit more remodelling. As I learn more and understand the dungeon’s full capabilities more, I keep developing new plans and ideas. Oh! Also, we’re making an official church of the dark god, and you are the official prophet and representative for the dark god in that church.” (Emmara)

“But… I don’t do anything.” (me)

“She… actually said that was why she wanted you as her representative. Said you’d be perfect.” (Emmara)

“She doesn’t want the church to do anything?” (me)

“Seems that way. Said something about being too exhausted dealing with one activist church leader to want to deal with another. Was she complaining about me?” (Emmara)

“That does sound like it. She’s probably a lazy bum from what I’ve learned of this world.” (me)

“Ugh, that’s what’s wrong with the world. There’s gods, but they don’t like to do anything or get involved!” (Emmara)

“At least they are helping you?” (me)

“Heh, I thought that too at first. Except as I learn more, it’s starting to feel more like they are both trying to get me to do their jobs for them. Anyway, I’m sorry the trip outside didn’t go well.” (Emmara)

“It’s fine. No one’s fault but my own.” (me)

“No, no, I feel like I should’ve seen it coming, but I was too busy thinking about how things should be, to think about how things really are.” (Emmara)

“I have social anxiety, it’s not something you can be expected to solve.” (me)

“It’s not like it’s insurmountable. I’ve helped kids with worse anxiety than you, learn to talk to strangers… though it is rather different dealing with children compared to dealing with adults. Still, social skills can be learned. I should’ve taken it slower and not just dumped a journey on you without making sure you were ready first.” (Emmara)

“Emmara, you can’t do everything. Don’t blame yourself.” (me)

“Even if I can’t, I still want to try! … sorry. I just… There’s so many things I want to do, and so little time. I wish I had made more time for you… at least enough to make the trip a little better, a little easier.” (Emmara)

“I don’t know if I should scold you for taking on too much burden, or hug you… oh fuck it.” (me)

I handed Peony over to Sam (I’d been holding her ever since Emmara brought her in) and went to pull Emmara into a tight hug.

“I love you Emmara, and I love that you fight so hard for everyone. Just make sure you take care of yourself too, okay?” (me)

“Yeah, I do. At least, I think I do. Anyway, I need to finish working on the plans for remodelling our house. I want to make sure you can visit Peony as much as you want, without letting her walk in on you when you’re…” (Emmara)

“Fucking.” (Sam)

Emmara just gave Sam a bit of side-eye in response.

“I’m sorry I can’t stay. It feels like there’s an endless amount of work to do.” (Emmara)

“Is it possible to get help?” (me)

“I’ve got help, the problem is there’s just too many things I need to be personally involved in. Like building this church. I can’t leave it to someone else, this will be your home! Then there’s setting up more twilight church branches, writing church doctrine, and books. As well as setting up meetings with all the dungeon masters in the world and taking time to educate them. Not to mention the amount of time I have to spend studying to learn about all the monsters and the rules they follow. If I’m careless, I could end up messing up something important, like causing a town to lose their income source. I almost did that here with a few of my ideas.” (Emmara)

“Emmara! Slow down. I think you really need to take some time to just rest and stop thinking so much.” (me)

“That’s what you do, isn’t it? Just relax, or try to, and let life happen?” (Emmara)

“Yeah. Easiest way to avoid bad thoughts is to just not think. Experience the now. Enjoy the pleasures. Avoid the pain. Just be.” (me)

“I don’t think it’s good to live an entire life like that, but maybe I do need a moment now and then like that.” (Emmara)

“Sam? Can you take Peony away for a while? I want to try distracting Emmara from all her troubles for a bit.” (me)

“Sure. Any idea how long?” (Sam)

“Don’t be gone long, I’ve got so much to do-” (Emmara)

“Shush, you need to take a break. Let me have you for a little while, and remind you of the joys you’ve been fighting for. Let me distract you.” (me)

“A-alright. I, I’ll be in your… grasp.” (Emmara)

I pulled her to bed. Slowly got her clothes off while stroking her in all the sensitive places I’d already learned about before. Then really gave her my full attention. I wanted to ensure she’d remember this for a long time. After all, who knows how long until we can do this again?

When she fell asleep, I kept replaying her soft sounds of pleasure in my mind as I lay down to sleep with her. She really needed rest. She’d lasted longer in the past than this time. Hopefully, she’ll remember to rest more in the future.

***Author Note***

Well, it seems Emmara has become a workaholic. Which is sorta the opposite of Lily. Lily hardly works at all! As for Sam… I think he’s probably on the path to becoming a good father. In part because Emmara doesn’t have enough time, and Lily doesn’t like responsibility, leaving Sam as the one who’s going to be taking care of Peony the most.

… I forgot to address the question of: Where’s Valia? I meant to do that at some point… maybe I should write a story about her going on a journey? She’d probably make a much better adventurer than Lily.

… how did I only realize now I’ve used the name Valia in another story? >_< That other Val was a terrible person. This Val is completely different.

50