Chapter 39: The Golden Bridge
387 1 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Zhen Shi and the duo of mages finally reached the end of the road, entering into the main market area.

It was completely unlike the rest of what they had seen so far in the Lyonesse Kingdom... And Zhen Shi stared wide-eyed at the scene that awaited them, as a strange calm washed over him.

The main market area was actually an Island placed within a wide expansive lake of blue water, and despite being placed in the middle of Lyon City, the Island and the peaceful lake perfectly blended into the sub-urban background.

A calming wind blew through the area, causing the forest on the island to rustle mesmerizingly. Despite the wind, the lake surface was strangely free of ripples.

However, amidst the trees of the island, one could see a single construction that seemed out of place and rather eye-catching. It was a towering and awe-inspiring golden pagoda with a large signboard floating above it, with striking words written in Aether and Qi, it read [The Lyon and Turnbull Market Island]!

Myne suddenly poked Zhen Shi, breaking him out of his reverie, and laughed while saying, "Kid, did you just lose yourself in that simple bewildering formation? Tsk-Tsk, Disappointing..."

Zhen Shi frowned, and mumbled in reply, "Of course not, I was simply analyzing the formation..." Then with a mischievous grin, he pointed at a series of stones and rocks placed unassumingly along the lakeshore, "Those are the bewildering formation's external centers... right?"

It was now Myne's turn to frown, "Fuck. That's correct, but I was sure you were bewildered just then..."

Zhen Shi simply grinned back. He had indeed been affected for a moment but had quickly used <Odin's Missing Eye> and his rudimentary knowledge of formations, to find the formation centers through discrepancies in natural qi and turn things around.

Myne continued, smiling again, "However... This is not just a simple bewildering formation, it is, in fact, a compound formation that combines the power of several, including sealing, attacking, and defending formations. But their formation centers are hidden within illusory formations making it slightly more difficult to detect."

Now, it was once again Zhen Shi's turn to frown, 'FUCK! How could I appraise and find something using this eye, if I couldn't actually see them?'

But, knowing that there was something more to look for, was sufficient in itself. Activating the appraisal skill to full effect, Zhen Shi's right eye turned into a deep golden hue. His vision instantly grew several thousand folds more perceptive, enabling him to notice a series of slight aberrations along the trunks of some trees on the island, as well as from deep within the still lake.

Analyzing these locations with the knowledge from the book, he spoke out confidently while pointing out at the relevant locations, "Oh no... I sensed them before, but I just didn't say it because I thought it was pretty obvious. I can sense formation centers from those trees on the island, as well as from those places in the lake..."

Turning to Myne with a devilish grin, Zhen Shi wrapped up his speech, "But of course, how can I be more knowledgeable regarding formations than the Great Merlin!"

And it was once again Myne's turn to frown, "FUCK! Bro, are you some sort of reincarnated formation master? How on earth could you sense the formation centers just being at the Soul Formation Stage? Even some weaker sovereigns might've had trouble doing that! Do you have a godly pair of eyes similar to my own? Or is it just another crazy skill of your 'special physique'?"

This caused Zhen Shi to grin proudly and puff out his chest. But almost immediately, Myne frowned angrily, "And, who the fuck is Merlin? I'm MYNE!" and bunched up a shirt sleeve preparing to punch Zhen Shi.

But suddenly, Vivienne who had been silent the entire time, noticing that the duo's loud conversation was gathering a lot of attention, grabbed their collars with an exasperated sigh. She whispered with a deadly light in her eyes, "I think you've made enough of a scene in front of the Market Hall, right?"

Immediately, Zhen Shi and Myne grew silent. But thankfully for the two of them, one of the many that had been watching, an old man with long white hair, dressed in a blue daoist robe walked over.

As such, Vivienne was forced to let go of their collars, with a polite smile at the old man.

Zhen Shi hurriedly used <Aether Vision> and noticed that this Old Man had cultivation that was at the peak of the Soul Destruction Stage!

The old man politely bowed to the three of them and spoke out, "Greetings fellow Daoists, this old man is named Hao Lei. I couldn't help but overhear your conversation, and am pleased to have discovered two talented cultivators of the Dao of Formations."

Zhen Shi, Myne, and Vivienne bowed in return while introducing themselves as well.

The old man smiled and continued, "Perhaps we could exchange our views on the Dao of Formations sometime? I'm sure all of us will find it useful."

Zhen Shi frowned in worry and hurriedly shook his hands in dismissal saying, "Oh no! Senior Hao Lei, I am only a novice in the dao of formations. The real expert is this fellow brother of mine!" while hurriedly pushing Myne forwards.

Zhen Shi was sure that he was completely useless in the dao of formations. Besides finding the formation centers, he could do jack shit! So unwilling to embarrass himself, he had thrown Myne into the fire.

But, mistaking Zhen Shi's actions, Hao Lei raised an eyebrow in surprise, 'What a humble young fellow! Not being proud despite having reached the Soul Formation stage and possessing a profound knowledge of formations, all at such a young age! He even self-lessly gave up the chance to impress me to his senior brother!"

With a laugh, Hao Lei spoke out, "Of course not! I'm sure that the junior generation has much to teach us old folks. Still, I wonder what exalted master could bring up such wonderful disciples like you three?"

Zhen Shi was just about to spout out a random legendary name, when Myne beat him to it and suddenly said, "Our master is a very reclusive character. So I'm not sure if this fellow Daoist has heard of him, but he goes by the name of Myrden..."

This caused Zhen Shi to raise an eyebrow. He sent mentally to Myne, "Myrden? I wonder what great mage had that name at birth? Could it be... Merlin? Damn! I can't believe you were shameless enough to make yourself your own master... along with Sis Vivienne and myself!"

Myne's eye twitched, ಠ_ಥ. 'How on earth does this kid even know that? Very few people know this... Could it be another feature of his overpowered special physique?"

But Hao Lei, who noticed nothing unusual, continued to speak with a nod, "Indeed, I have not heard of your exalted master. Well, as an apology for being unaware, let me personally guide you into our branch of the Lyon and Turnbull Market Hall!'

Myne and Vivienne politely spoke out in thanks, but Zhen Shi suddenly asked, "Senior Hao Lei, what is that golden bridge?" while pointing at the bridge in question.

There were two bridges leading onto the Market Island. While the wide wooden bridge was being used by the majority, there was also one smaller golden bridge leading over to the other side with a large number of cultivators seated in front of it.

Hao Lei smiled as he began to explain, "That is the Golden Soul Bridge, a lesser divine totem! It has been set up by our Lyon and Turnbull Market Hall as a gesture of goodwill towards the general public. It is a tool for training the younger generation while allowing us to scout out potential talents. It can be used by any cultivator who has not yet destroyed their souls i.e. having cultivation below the Soul Destruction Stage.

It helps all cultivators to gradually improve their control over soul qi, greatly improving their chances of surviving the Soul Destruction. Furthermore, upon completing half of the Bridge Trial and reaching the 50th step, they will also be granted a spiritual blessing from our Branch's patron god, God Caishen to strengthen their (pseudo)-soul, along with a sizable improvement in their cultivation!

In addition, anyone who can complete the entire Golden Soul bridge trial, as an individual with great potential, will be granted the title of {Honorary Guest{ and receive a permanent discount of 50% on all purchases at any market hall! Would any of you fellow Daoists like to give it a try?"

Myne and Vivienne promptly shook their heads and politely turned down the offer. Despite being at the Nascent Soul stage in outside appearance, these two had already destroyed their souls. So this Bridge Trial would be useless for them.

Hao Lei was slightly unhappy at this refusal, but could only accede to their decision, and turned to Zhen Shi.

Noticing Zhen Shi's comparatively low cultivation, Hao Lei proceeded to give a slight warning, "But you had better be careful. The first half of the bridge can bring out a spiritual pressure at the Peak of the Nascent Soul Stage, while the latter half can even reach the Peak of the Soul Destruction stage! Many geniuses have attempted the Bridge Trial, but very few have stepped beyond the halfway point. In the last millennia, only Prince Tristram, through the combined use of his combat-based personal Divine Blessing and Sword Intent, has reached the end. He is indeed a genius, but his character is..."

Hao Lei paused for a moment in thought, but smiled again as he said, "Either way, will this junior still be attempting the Bridge Trial?"

Zhen Shi was slightly intrigued by this 'Tristram', but grinned nonchalantly as he pridefully replied to Hao Lei, "No worries. I can definitely complete a task of that level!" After all, he had survived several minutes with Vivienne when she was at the Law Primary Stage!

But his relaxed and prideful statement caused Hao Lei to frown, 'Perhaps I was mistaken? Perhaps he isn't as humble as I thought he was? Braggarts like this fellow won't make it too far in the world... How could he dismiss such powerful pressure while barely being at the second stage of soul formation?'

Still, they were his guests, and self-confidence was rather important in cultivation. As such, Hao Lei nodded and politely led the way towards the golden soul bridge.

There were hundreds of cultivators ranging from the Soul Formation stage to the Nascent Soul stage waiting in front of the golden bridge.

After all, this wasn't just a chance to make some small improvements in their cultivation. It was an opportunity that could change their life!

If they could complete the Bridge Trial, their reputation would immediately skyrocket and they would be showered with invitations to all sorts of lucrative organizations. Not to mention the power they would receive along with the title of {Honorary Guest} of the Lyon and Turnbull Market Hall!

Noticing the arrival of the blue-robed Hao Lei, the official in charge of the golden bridge hurriedly bowed in respect. The hundreds of cultivators turned to look at the new arrivals, but respectfully stayed silent noticing Hao Lei's high status.

However, there was another old man at the peak of the Soul Destruction Stage and garbed in a red daoist robe, who stared hatefully at Hao Lei for a while, before proceeding to ignore him with an inaudible curse.

Hao Lei too ignored him without so much as a glance, and lightly signaled the official to proceed. The official bowed once more and began the Bridge Trial, calling out to the first candidate.

Hao Lei could've easily had Zhen Shi take the test first, but had not done so, just to test Zhen Shi and his fellow disciples' patience.

Noting Zhen Shi who patiently stood by the side along with Myne and Vivienne, without so much as a word of complaint, he was impressed once more. 'I suppose even braggarts can be patient... let's see how he measures up on the golden bridge!'

The cultivators began to proceed along the bridge, but almost every soul formation cultivator collapsed around the 20th step, soul transformation cultivators at the 30th, and Nascent Soul generally around the 49th step. It was almost as if they were thresholds that held back all average cultivators who had simply cultivated without paying attention to skills, intent, and martial arts.

The failed cultivators could only walk away dejectedly, but they did form into a large group of spectators that continued to watch on the rest of the Bridge Trial.

Afterward, there were some with cultivation less than the Nascent Soul stage, who made use of certain special skills, Weapon Intent or Spells, to push themselves towards a finger's distance of reaching the 50th step, the halfway point.

And yet none succeeded and everyone collapsed down in exhaustion, much to the happiness of the growing spectator group consisting of failed candidates.

Hao Lei shook his head and muttered, "Looks like there won't be too many that succeed in this trial either..."

After another hour of failure, finally, a young noble with brown hair and a large war-axe strapped to his back attempted the trial. His cultivation was just on the verge of ascending to the Nascent Soul Stage.

He began to walk up the steps slowly but surely and quickly surpassed the 30th step. After a few minutes of struggling, to the surprise of the spectators, he reached the precipice of the 49th step without using any special technique!

But at the last step, he began to struggle and was unable to proceed any further. As such, he unsheathed his War-axe and completely released his [Strands of Axe Intent]. With the Nascent Soul level power of the Axe Intent, he made a final push successfully making it onto the 50th step, but immediately fell on to his knees in exhaustion.

Even still, he had achieved the first objective!

And under the half-hearted cheers of the spectators who were rather unhappy to see a fellow candidate achieving success despite their failure, a terrifying black tiger suddenly materialized out of pure divine aether!

The tiger released a powerful roar with its eyes on the young noble. Instantly, a silver aura shot out of the tiger's mouth covering the young noble's body, rapidly improving his soul strength. Even his cultivation soared, making a proper breakthrough into the Nascent Soul Stage!

Moments later, the tiger manifestation disappeared, and the young noble slowly stood up with his new and improved power.

And with renewed confidence, he took another step forward attempting to proceed further along the bridge.

Putong!

But unable to handle the pressure, he unceremoniously collapsed down on his own face.

So... I greatly surpassed the word count for a chapter, accidentally writing two... And this happened. ↓

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Ding! 
~GODSystem Limited Time Quest~
The author accidentally wrote two chapters... 

Objective; Reach 50 power stones in the next 24 hours i.e. [6:00 AM UTC tomorrow] https://www.webnovel.com/book/15662755406682705/Godly-Otaku-Divine-System

Reward: The additional chapter!

Penalty: The author gets to give that chap for tomorrow and laze off in the middle of the week! XD

16