Chapter 56: Dawn
264 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The rain last night had arrived suddenly without any warning and had stopped only several hours later. Nevertheless, the night before was now a part of the past, as the sun was beginning to rise painting the sky in shades of orange and yellow. It was almost as if the sun granted hope to the world that had been revitalized by the rain of the night before. 

But that was not how Isolde saw the world just about now. Even as the sun lit up her wall-less room and granted her glowing orange light, she paid no attention to the beauty of it. 

Her entire focus was on completing the healing process. She heaved light gasps of breath as her body emitted pure white healing light on to the barely breathing body of Butler Alec. Sadly, he was unable to see Isolde's suffering through closed eyes...

Even so, his body was mostly clear of blood. Not due to Isolde's healing prowess, but thanks to the rain of the night before that had washed it all way. After all, the room had no walls to prevent rain... 

However, while the rain had arrived like a blessing and washed away the blood, it had in no way helped the smell. It had already been around half a day since their death and the two corpses had already begun to rot giving off an awful smell. Even flies had begun to flutter about... 

Isolde's ripped dress was stuck to her body, wet with rainwater, and the skirt was light red with streaks of faded bloodstains. Despite the fact that she was still persevering, the healing light emanating from her palms was only a moment away from disappearing as it flickered weakly; the complete opposite of the rising sun.

But to Isolde, the smell was the least of her problems. As the night had stretched on, the protection from her necklace's golden dome had gradually become weaker and weaker as it was using up its energy to constantly replenish Isolde's depleted qi. After all, it was only a Law Tier Artifact trying to fuel a personal divine blessing...

As such, just a few hours before dawn, the dome had completely flickered out and the necklaces had gone cold. 

From the point onwards with only the moon and the stars to give her light, Isolde had been extremely nervous. Despite her intention to save Alec, it was rather normal for a girl, especially a noble, to be worried about spending an entire night with two corpses by her side. 

But to make the entire matter worse, it had even begun to rain!

Under the sudden appearance of rain clouds, she had lost her only source of light. As her body was fraught with the cold onslaught of raindrops, in that deep dark night, with only herself to look for help and even nature itself trying to obstruct her, she was forced to bite back her pleas for help and just DO.

She had no time to second guess herself, she had no time to curse her misfortune, she had no time to distract herself... only she could save herself. 

Her drenched body had shivered in the cold, and her eyes had drooped with drowsiness and exhaustion. But during that night of loneliness and suffering, a sliver of rock-hard grit and determination, simply refusing to be quelled was forged.

It wouldn't be wrong to say that in the same way that the night rain had baptized the world, she too had been baptized. But for better or worse... only time would tell. 

Suddenly, a fearful scream came from the doorway just outside her room. Although a scream is usually a harbinger of fear and horror, to Isolde it was a hopeful blessing! 

Isolde's room was facing the training ground and the edges of the Berthelien forest outback. Not to mention that the Brishman mansion was in a rather remote area of the kingdom inside their own fief. As a result, despite the exploded walls, the chance of onlookers realizing that something was wrong within the mansion was very little. 

Even if Isolde could afford to be distracted and had shouted out for help, with the mansion grounds themselves stretching out for many acres there were no people nearby to help. If her luck had been particularly horrid, her cries for help might've even summoned out demonic beasts... or even worse, bandits. 

Thus, Isolde's only real hope would have to be those who would return on the next day. 

Although all the mansion staff and the guards had been asked to leave the day before, leading to no one finding of the battle that had taken place, it was normal for them to return the next day. 

Almost immediately, a light figure rushed into the room. It was a rather old nervous-looking maid. 

Isolde had no energy to speak, after all, she had been utilizing a divine blessing all night. Not to mention the psychological exhaustion of the trial she had been through. Even if she was dubbed the 'healing goddess' she was just barely a Core Formation Stage cultivator.

She could sense the maid's arrival but was unable to turn her head. Her only thought was to hold on until Grandpa Alec's safety was assured... 

The old maid eyed the two corpses, one with a horridly shattered chest and the other with a skewered eye. She even got as far as looking at the sight of the injured Alec, laying still like a corpse.

But perhaps, this grotesque sight along with the smell of rotting flesh was too much, as the poor maid collapsed and fainted instantly. 

Fortunately for Isolde, the old maid's scream had been heard loud and clear, as many more servants rushed in proceeding to signal their arrivals with screams of their own. 

However, these servants were at best Elementary Qi stage cultivators, and at worst non-cultivating mortals, with little to no experience in seeing corpses having been fortunate enough to be born within the protective walls of a kingdom. Thus, they were rather slow to act. 

But one particular maid, rather young, almost the same age as Isolde, with a neat bun of brown hair and lively eyes, rushed in without sparing a glance to the corpses. This was the same maid that Zhen Shi had met before...

However, when placed with the other servants one could see that her aura was rather different...

She quickly rushed over to Isolde's side, reaching out to help her. But to her surprise, Isolde refused to budge and remained completely still.

The brown-haired maid quickly understood her intention and proceeded to examine Alec's status. Almost immediately she smiled at Isolde and spoke, "He's fine. My lady, you've done well. He will live!" 

Isolde's entire body relaxed as those hopeful words reached her ears. Nevertheless, she grit her teeth and croaked out weakly, "I-I know it's a lot to ask, but c-can you make sure he's looked after? Until I can myself?" 

The maid was taken aback, but with a reassuring smile, she quickly nodded. 

But Isolde wasn't satisfied. She gripped onto the maid's dress tightly and whispered seriously, "Promise me." 

The maid was taken aback once more. But with shining eyes, she replied in a solemn tone, "I, Mary Anne, swear upon the gods. It is the least I can do." 

Isolde's grip loosened as a satisfied smile crept on to her lips. But almost immediately, she collapsed as exhaustion finally took away her consciousness. 

But the maid Mary Anne reacted quickly and caught Isolde, preventing her from falling on to the floor. 

Mary Anne raised her head at the servants, who had continued to remain dumbstruck, and shouted with a frown, "Don't just stand there then. Go and get help! Call a physician or a healer! For both of them!" 

I wrote the 5 chapters... right? right?

I did. I'm sure. 4=5!

8