Vol. 4 CH. 4 – A different perspective
126 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Vol. 4 CH. 4 - A different perspective

PART#1

After leaving their luggages in the rooms they were provided, Kyoushiro and the rest explored the beautiful city of Oceanus. Though, the only tourist here we're Kyoushiro and Elyria. Elyria had never travelled far beyond the ocean before. The only ship she had rode once was Phirous when Kyoushiro was being escorted. Elyria had travelled as Queen Elfianna's bodyguard before but never did she stepped off far beyond land.

In her eyes, this city that was gleaming with vigor and activities was like a different world.

As for Kyoushiro, the odd looks he was having as he watched fished headed people walk by, or giant muscle-bound sharks like body builders on earth, and those mermaids he looked at the shore transforming their tails into legs as they ascend from the surface was like a man seeing a freak show, wondering just how in the world those things work.

Well, in this world, magic and skills exist. Thus, such thing were indeed possible.

The most interesting part was the monk like man with a goldfish for a head that just passed him. Seeing such funny looking face, Kyoushiro couldn't help but be amused for a bit.

The kids running around were all kinds of sea folk Demi-humans. Some had turtle shell, some had a horn like a sword fish and some had eight legs like octopuses or squids. It was indeed refreshing to see.

All Kyoushiro have met were dwarve, elves and humans as well as beastmen in Ambrosia. Although in his case, Kyoushiro could only get used to in seeing them in the wasteland which was full of monsters.

"Say, what kind of food do you guys eat here? I don't see any trading ships around to exchange goods after all"

Kyoushiro asked as he glanced a restaurant serving raw seafood. There was even a clam like person eating an oyster, which was quite surreal if your think about it.

"Isn't it obvious? Seafood"

Katsuto answered blatantly, stating the obvious to Kyoushiro.

"That isn't what I meant. Like other things! Meat! vegetables or the like! Isn't seafood basically...."

"Fufufu, please don't worry. Even if we are people of the sea are pretty much the same once we eat, we don't see them as our kind with how different our appearance to them"

It was easy to say that orcs doesn't mind eating pig since their animals or sharks it smaller fish because it's food. Humans eat cattle and it's relatively normal on earth. There wasn't any difference between the two.

Kyoushiro acknowledge that but seeing a seal type Demi-human and shark type Demi-human standing close to each other wasn't a pretty sight. Ever seen sharks' half eaten seals? 

"Well, I guess it is unusual to someone like you, Kagami-sama. Hayato-sama and Sairenji-sama didn't really mind when they first came here though"

"I'm different from those two. The only seafood I eat are fish and dried seaweed"

Being in a family where your relatives doesn't think of you so much and doesn't even treat you to a special meal was hard. A drunkard old uncle that liked to eat a large red crab in front of Kyoushiro when he was just as a child, while not even giving him an ounce of care wasn't a family Kyoushiro would see as great.

All Kyoushiro had ate we're dried fish and dried seaweed when he gets the chance. Even the Yakuza doesn't handout sushi that easily.

"Well, You'll get used to it"

Koizumi chuckled as they turned to a street. There, the group found a tall vertical building with a large hole going down.

"The hell is that?"

"It is the path that leads down to the rest of the city"

"Rest of the city? There's more underneath?"

Kyoushiro had read a story about underwater castle and that going there wouldn't do any good. Receiving a gift from some kind of princess for saving a turtle, only to turn you into an old man wasn't a fairytale but a horror story.

Kyoushiro and the others walked towards it. When Kyoushiro and Elyria peered down, they saw lights shining from underneath. It was needed a city.

But....

"Just so you guys know, I don't know how to swim"

"Hahaha, that's funny. Come on, let's go"

"Wai– hey!! I said I can't—!?"

*Splash!!* Kyoushiro was pushed by Katsuto, who laughed at Kyoushiro's words. Then  without waiting for Kyoushiro to come back up, Katsuto and Koizumi follow suit. Elyria looked hesitant herself but jumped in as well. Lastly, Corralia jumped into the hole following the others.

Descending from the hole, Kyoushiro tried to swim but he kept on sinking. Though he quickly noticed that he was able to breath underwater.

–I can breathe? How the hell.....– Kyoushiro could only looked around in disbelief as he and the others descends.

"The underwater city has a special barrier around it that makes the land dwellers able to breathe underwater. The same with talking as well, you can converse here as much as you like"

Just as Corralia explained, Kyoushiro used his «Magic Seer» skill and saw a thin layer of magic power covering the entire city like a dome. Kyoushiro removed his hands from his mouth and as soon as he landed, Kyoushiro felt his weight back like standing on the surface.

Koizumi then landed behind Kyoushiro and said....

"Oceanus doesn't get much visitors from the outside but it is still a country. The other Kingdoms and cities come here to help defend Oceanus from time to time so they made the underwater city breathable for everyone"

Apparently, Oceanus was one of this places that was regularly attacked by monsters. Seeing as the ocean is a vast place to live, there were water type monsters that comes and attacks Oceanus.

Corralia, who just landed after everyone else further explains that there are other underwater cities in the ocean which was under the Rizandra's rule. Logically speaking, most of the ocean floor was pretty much under Rizandra's control and on a planet which has 75% of covering the entire world, Oceanus is largest ruling country there is.

"If this place is so big then why not help on land? It's not like you guys don't need water to live on land right?"

"No, we do not but choosing to live on land is different in living underwater. We sea dwellers avoid coming onto land unless we are banished. Since the land is an unknown place to us Sea dwellers. We do not have much knowledge about it"

Similar to how earth explores the deep oceans to discover it's secret, yet there are still parts unexplored due to it being so deep. Unknown places like the water where humans can't breathe are off limits due to how crushing the pressure is inside. Unless you have a good reason to be there, you wouldn't go there to begin with.

"Also, there are large Sea Serpent monsters attacking in the waters so, we defend ourselves as much as we could here"

"So monster attacks are even frequent in the sea as much on land huh?"

Just like on land, there are dungeons in the oceans as well. The unexplained regions with unknown dungeons would spew out the monsters that overflowed inside, which causes the monster in the ocean to multiply. It was just as dangerous on land where monster attacks are frequent.

The group walks down the streets of the underwater city. Just like any other places on land, the underwater city is filled with people walking around it. Just that, the difference in vehicles were different. Dolphins ended up being horses that pulls carriages and cart underwater. In their case, they pull large clam shells instead of a wooden create.

"There's light here despite being underwater. Are the lamps and such made from Glow stones?"

"Yes. There are some places where we could mine such minerals hear in the ocean floor so we have an abundance of them"

"Heh"

It was pretty impressive. Oceanus has rights to all underwater ore veins where the people can't reach. It was only normal for Oceanus to be the only advanced city in this world compared to others since they have the advantage of monopolizing the ore veins deep underwater.

Kyoushiro was truly impressed with how Oceanus could make use of their advantage.

"Hey, get out of my way two feet"

"?"

As Kyoushiro turned to a corner, an eighth legged Demi-human appeared right in front. It was a large, Scylla man with two beefy arms and thick tentacles for legs. Kyoushiro glared at the stranger for a moment and decided it wasn't worth it to pick a fight with a native in this place. Furthermore, getting inked wouldn't be a good thing, specially underwater.

"Hmph, that's more like it"

The Scylla man left after scoffing at Kyoushiro.

"I thought you'd get mad about that. He was looking down on you pretty much obviously"

"I'd like to avoid conflict as much as possible. Other than that, I don't want him to cover me in ink"

Kyoushiro ignored Katsuto's laughter over his shoulder and walked to the streets. This time, Koizumi tapped Kyoushiro's shoulder and lead him to a certain building.

"Hey.... where are you even taking me?"

"Come on, it's the place I want you to visit. Weren't we going here in the first place?"

"I was only looking for a place to set up the [Gate] artifact. It's that idiot that pushed me down in this place"

Kyoushiro snarled at Koizumi as he pulled his hand back from Koizumi. 

"As I thought, men will always be men"

"Umm... I... I do not think this would be a good place to visit for such an early day"

Elyria looked at Kyoushiro coldly while Corralia fidget as she glanced back and forth at the certain building.

"Oh come on! It's only us guys that'll go here! Plus, it's been a while since we got to hangout Kagami!"

"We don't hangout. Not even on earth"

Kyoushiro sighs as he denies that he doesn't "hangout" with Katsuto and Koizumi.

"Well, there's a first for everything right?"

"Is this how you get girls Koizumi?"

Kyoushiro looked at Koizumi suspiciously. The pretty guy on earth is as much of a sleazeball in this world. Kyoushiro couldn't believe that he was right about his classmates. Well, not that he cared anyway.

"So what? We got two girls with us and you want me to go inside in this hostess bar?"

"Correction, it's a brothel"

"Not much of a difference there......"

Once more, Kyoushiro sighed.

The building was on the bright side of the street. Furthermore, despite being in broad daylight, there were sea folk Demi-humans women waving down at the three guys on the street. Most of them hardly had any covers on their tops and the only standing between nudity and public decency was the shell bikini top they were wearing.

The business seem bustling with some patrons coming and going.

"Hey there Mr. Hero!"

Suddenly someone from the window called out to Koizumi. Looking up, the group saw a woman with pink skin and deep blue compound eyes. Around her neck was a necklace made out of seashells.

"Oh! Shella! It's been a while, did you miss me?"

"Of Course Hayato-sama! Come on in and bring your friends with you"

The woman named Shella invited everyone inside. Katsuto seemed eager while Koizumi looked somewhat embarrassed.

"I didn't know you were into those kind of things....."

"W-Well.... We have our fetish right?"

"At least try and deny it you disgusting bastard....." Kyoushiro muttered so under his sigh. 

Kyoushiro was already having a headache being in the same place as this Playboy, but was even more irritating that the idiot just entered the building. Does he think he's Elvis or something? Kyoushiro grumbled silently.

"So? Are we going in?"

Elyria asked so with a rather hesitant tone.

"If you guys know a better place than this let's go. Otherwise, I'd be stuck with this sort of thing"

Nevermind Elyria, Corrallia seemed to be reluctant to even enter the establishment. She was a woman born in this city but she wasn't so experience in this sort of business. Elyria had somewhat the idea of why the other two wanted to spend and early afternoon here but stayed silent and only waited for Kyoushiro to answer.

"If Kagami-sama wished to then I won't mind coming along inside"

"Alright. How about you pointy?"

"Pointy..... I have a name you know"

Elyria, ticked, stormed off inside the building with fumes puffing out of her head. Apparently, pointing out her ears was a no go. Kyoushiro shrugged his shoulders and just sighed.

"30 minutes and we're out. I want to finish what I came here for"

"Alright then! Let's go!"

For the first time, Kyoushiro saw Koizumi make a slovenly smile and it was disgusting. Looks like the pretty boy was more of a philanthropist than a Playboy. Once more, Kyoushiro let out a sigh.

The inside was like how Kyoushiro expected. Lots of tables and colorful lights. There were girls hanging up on the balcony of the staircase inside while others were serving customers. As someone who once did work in this sort of place before in middle school, Kyoushiro already know what type of service they provide.

The girls varied in all shapes and sizes. Mermaids, Scyllas, Lamias, and much more. There was even a lionfish Demi-human singing on stage. As one would expect from another world, the women are very beautiful and attractive despite having horns and such.

"Here's your order, enjoy"

A waitress, a mermaid, placed down the order of raw fish and seaweed combo. With the specialty of Sea anemone and Sea cucumber salad with sea horse toppings. All of them were raw.

"I'm not eating that"

"Hey, we're underwater what did you expect?"

Indeed, water doesn't burn underwater as such, there is no cook food in this place. Watching Koizumi Chow down on the Sea anemone and Sea cucumber salad with baby seahorse toppings made Kyoushiro's face turn green. Turning to the girl next him, Corralia was enjoying the salad and the seaweed specials. Elyria didn't seem hungry and merely drunk the mug of Seafoam beer.

"Ugh.... This is...."

"It's a bit too bitter than ordinary beer but it has a strong kick. But it doesn't give you hangovers so it's a great drink"

Koizumi seemed to have already enjoyed his time in Oceanus with all his knowledge about it's alcoholic beverages. Katsuto was talking to a beautiful green haired mermaid like it was the best time of his life. He wasn't drunk but he might as well be with him giggling with the mermaid. Kyoushiro grabbed the mug in front of him and had a sip but taken aback by the bitterness, he put it down immediately.

"Kagami-sama? You are not going to drink?"

"No, I'm underage like these two idiots but looks like they've long since past that"

Kyoushiro crossed his arms and just leaned his back on his seat. Corralia and Elyria were sitting on both of his side so some of the patrons' eyes were on him. But ignoring the sweet calls of the girls above his head, Kyoushiro closed his eyes and just asked about what happened when Koizumi and Katsuto first came into Oceanus.

"It seems that these people doesn't have much anything against Demon Spawns seeing as no one threw anything at me when we came. What happened when you guys came here?"

"It wasn't as different as before. At the start, the people here we're wary of me and Katsuto but they immediately warmed up after we took care of a swarm of sea monsters"

Back then, the amount of sea monsters attacking Oceanus was high. The frequency of attacks and casualties were so high that the imperial government did not allow it's citizens to travel out of the city. However, thanks to the coming of the heroes, Koizumi and Katsuto, the number dwindled and almost hardly any sea monsters approach the city.

The other cause for this was that Rizandra had created various magic artifacts that help the city repel it's monster attacks. The barrier was made for that purpose as well.

"On top of boosting magic, the city cast a wide range of restoration spells that helps the soldiers fight as much as they could to defend the city. We too were saved because of it"

According to Koizumi, the effects was able to produce about at least 10 high level priest Healing magic inside the city. It was enough to recover both fatigue and minor injuries.

The battle with the Sea Monster called Sea Drake was made easy thanks to the effects of the barrier when Koizumi and Katsuto fought it.

"Aside from that, the person who helped Rizandra-sama made this possible was Merman with dark hair and eyes, in other words, a Demon Spawn"

Because a Demon Spawn helped save the city using the power of the barrier, the citizens of Oceanus was grateful towards him and the hate for Demon Spawns lessened. It wasn't gone but most of the citizens in this city or in any regions under the sea, prefer not to think about how to accept the people with dark hair and eyes.

Corrallia, who had drunk her third mug, silently placed the mug down and continued the talk.

"If it were not for that person, this city would have fallen long ago. We only held up due to our ruler's power but we were in the brink of destruction if the heroes were not summoned"

By blessing in the skies, there were multiple heroes that summoned. Thanks to that, most of surviving royalties in the world were saved. The countries they governed were protected and their people were saved from death.

Though on Kyoushiro's point of view, this was a demerit for him. He didn't want to be summoned, much less discriminated and incarcerated. If it weren't for his curse disabling his growth, Kyoushiro would have been accepted as a hero. However, things have changed and days passed. Now, Kyoushiro obtained a power that stands on the same ground as Demon Lord while surpassing that of a hero.

An uncrowned King, A Hero then a Demon Lord. Those were outrageous titles that Kyoushiro gained for just doing what he think was right. Yet in the end, in this world, he was just one of those people that were spawns of the Demon God Avfritzed.

Thinking about it only made Kyoushiro sigh.

"So? Where is this person? I'd like to hire him for help when I install a [Gate] artifact here"

"He is currently in the palace helping her Majesty with researching the artifact you have brought"

Corrallia took one last bite of her salad and took one last sip of her beer. Though her cheeks were flushed, she was still sober.

"If you wished to meet him, I might be able to arranged it. However, it might take long since he is always busy"

"Well, I'll just do it alone then. Not like it's not possible to do the work alone"

Kyoushiro ordered something sweet to drink before standing up. Seeing this, the tipsy Koizumi and the drunk Katsuto stood up as well.

"Stay here, I'm just taking a piss. I won't take long"

"Hey, we go together! We...urp.... We're friends after...urp....all!!"

"It's only noon and you're dead drunk? Seriously, this guy is....."

Kyoushiro sighed and left the table. Leaving the four individuals eating and drinking. It was then that Shella finally came.

"Hey there Mr. Hero, sorry to keep you waiting"

"No, no it's fine. You're just right on time"

Koizumi helped the girl, Shella sit right next him behind the table. Elyria and Corralia, glanced at each other before gazing at the place Kyoushiro disappeared into. For them, it would have been better if they stayed with Kyoushiro instead of Koizumi and Katsuto.

PART#2

Kyoushiro forgot he was underwater. As such, what he let out just flew and mixed in everywhere. Annoyed because of the inconvenience caused by the surrounding, Kyoushiro used his skill to make a dome of ice that prevents the water from getting. Amazingly, Kyoushiro's clothes weren't wet despite being in the water.

"I really don't want to think about how these people go to no. 2......"

Kyoushiro sighed as he fixed his clothes. As the ice dome was removed, Kyoushiro moved to the mirror next to the sink. However, when he turned to a corner, he saw an unconscious little kid lying down.

"Is he one of the women's upstairs's kid? Talk about neglecting and child abuse. This kid has some bruises....."

Kyoushiro walked up to the kid and took out a bottle of healing potion from his necklace. He then gently placed his arm around the kid's shoulders and put the lid of the bottle onto the kid's lips and poured it's contents. Using his skills to not let the potion drift away in the water, the boy's small gulps resounded.

Kyoushiro sighed as the bruises and scars slowly shrinked away. Then as he stood up, he left the bathroom with the kid in his arms......

Shella had come and joined Koizumi in the table with the others. The woman who had clam shell stuck on her back sat right next to Koizumi. Koizumi passed a mug of Seafoam Beer to Shella and the girl gladly received then drank it.

"You were away for quite sometime, I thought something might have happened to you"

"Well, you know me. I'm pretty much invincible"

Koizumi wasn't as drunk as Katsuto. However, he was already smiling like a fool. Elyria and Corralia silently watched the two as they got cozy with each other. Katsuto on the other hand, was already asleep. Fortunately, there were only four empty mugs of Seafoam Beer right over his head.

"I've heard that another hero came. Where is he?"

"Just left for the bathroom. He just arrived here you know"

"Water got to his bladder?"

Shella chuckled at her own pun "Heheheh...." Then slowly combed Koizumi's hair with her pink soft fingers. 

"Well Mr. Hero? Want to spend sometime up stairs for a bit?"

"Haha.... Sorry, not today. Maybe I'll come by tonight. I still have things to do after this"

"I see.... that's unfortunate then"

As Koizumi rejected Shella's offer, the girl stood up and left. Koizumi smiles wryly and turns his head back to the table. However, the moment he met Elyria's and Corralia's eyes, he immediately looked down.

"Men are such pigs"

"........."

Corralia didn't gave a comment. The silence roamed the table even when the songstress was on stage, singing a beautiful song. The people cheering around with women on both of their arms were merry and the room was just jolly like a small party happening.

But the song stops when the door slammed open.

*Thud—Thud*

Heavy stomps broke the merry songs and cheers. In their eyes were signs of both fear and subjugation. Standing in front of them was the boss of the infamous gang Hundred teeth. Bruce the Great White Shark.

"Hmmm..... I didn't know there was a party here. Why wasn't I invited?"

The girls scurry forth, back upstairs where they stay. The men ran off in fear after paying for their drinks and women. Bruce smiled with his pearly whites, razor sharp teeth glistening in the lights of the bar.

His eyes then moved to a peculiar spot where there were two women and two men sitting across each other.

"Been a while Mr. Hero. I heard you went and save some city"

"Hey Bruce, how's the gang doing? Still up to no good huh?"

"Well, unlike you, I don't get different women everyday and looks to me, you got yourself some quite fine dames"

The giant Shark Demi-human leaned closer to Corralia and Elyria. Corralia quietly drunk her beer while Elyria didn't even bother to look at Bruce. Koizumi showed a coy smile as he couldn't help but see Bruce's appearance as less threatening as it should be.

"Say ladies, want to play with me instead of little old two feet here?"

"You have legs too you know?"

While the girls ignored Bruce, Koizumi replied jokingly. Though, Bruce still showed a smile, seemingly trying to laugh at Koizumi's comeback. 

This time however, Bruce stared straight into Koizumi's face and said threateningly....

"Then, want me to cut off yours Mr. Hero?"

Koizumi merely leaned back and drunk his beer and chewed on the seaweed salad. Bruce was no threat to him. For him at least, Bruce wouldn't even be able to hold Koizumi down even if Bruce wanted to.

So....

"So what did you came here for Bruce? I know you're not here to welcome me back"

The history between the two was deep. Enough to know that Bruce was not the welcoming type. The gang boss who ruled a part of the ocean with his men, killing monsters as a job for the Oceanus Empire. That and for the sake of the people living in the seas.

Bruce then pulled back and walked to chair and pulled it right next to Koizumi before sitting down. The size of the Shark was just as big as real adult shark that swam in the seas for hundreds of years. Added to that the compound eyes and deep scary voice, he was a monster like no other.

"You know what I came here for"

"It's about Shella-san right?"

"So you do know"

"It's a business between a customer and the employee. It was nothing but a job for her"

"Yes, for her but not for me"

*Clatter!*

The chairs fell down as Bruce pulled Koizumi off from his seat, raising the young man with one arm, staring right down at him.

Elyria quickly held her sword and Corralia stood up. Katsuto acted, jumping out from his seat and drawing a mace out of nowhere. However, before they knew it, there were people standing behind them with daggers and knives at their necks.

"You've touched my girl Mr. Hero now you gotta pay for that"

"Hey now, I've already paid her after we done it, no need to–"

Koizumi's words were cut short as a large boom came rumbling the entire building. The others didn't missed it with their enchanced dynamic vision, Koizumi was thrown down on the floor, breaking through the basement down below.

"Ain't what I was talkiyanout you pri–"

Another one came after, but this time Bruce disappeared. The people that Bruce brought with him were all stunned by the sudden disappearance of their large boss. Elyria, Corralia and Katsuto were taken aback by the scene as well.

Because they saw a leg come down on the floor as the dust was being pushed away by some current.

"How could you guys rough house like that. Seriously, it's only noon"

There was Kyoushiro standing with a displeased expression and a kid on his arm, carrying like some baggage.

"What? Got sobbered up now?"

It was those words that everyone saw a different perspective of what happened. A thug more ruthless than Bruce had come to town.....

3