Chapter 3
404 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 3


11 Years Old

1 more year had passed and Ken was now a Level 5 Sealmaster. Naruto was a Level 3, but he just hadn't taken the exam yet. Regardless, it was higher then what most jonin got to in their whole lifetimes. He was also amazingly close to making the gun a reality. Ken was currently sitting in the classroom, working on a seal that collects a large amount of air, compresses it, and releases it all at once. If he could integrate this seal into the gun, he quite possibly could take out the whole primer and propellant component of the cartridge, leaving only the bullet. This would make the production of the gun so much easier.

"Hah?! What did you say, Sasuke-teme!?" came a shout from somewhere in the classroom. Naruto had become much more cheerful and outgoing after that night on the Yondaime's head. The trust between Naruto and Ken had reached a whole new level and they knew they both had each others' backs.

"Shut the hell up, dobe!" said Sasuke in a conceited tone. Sasuke was another problem of Ken's. It's not like Ken didn't understand what Sasuke was going through. No, wait… Ken didn't understand, but he knew. He knew Sasuke was scared to make any more connections in case something like this happened again. Well… Ken sort of understood. Something similar had happened to him when he used to be 'Ethan'.

Seeing a guy shoving his tongue into the mouth of a girl you really thought loved you hits you pretty badly in the feels. That was all the way back in high school but after that, Ethan had refrained from making any meaningful emotional connections with anyone. All he had was his craving for excitement in life, and his loyalty for Canada – now Naruto.

But Sasuke was just being an asshole. He had the attention of almost every single girl in the class, yet he just plainly ignored them. Now, Ken wouldn't mind that. Hell, if it was him, he'd do the same thing... after telling him to fuck off. What bothered Ken was that not once had Sasuke properly requested them to back off. If you don't want them to bother you, kindly tell them to fuck off, but nooo. This cunt liked all the attention he was getting. And Naruto, being… well, Naruto, kept getting jealous of him.

Every day was the same routine: the children entered the classroom, Naruto bothered Sasuke (mainly because Naruto felt like Sasuke was too lonely and wanted to help him form bonds), Sasuke in his own asshole way insulted Naruto, Naruto got mad, Sakura and Ino came into the classroom and started gushing over Sasuke, and Naruto promptly backed off and hung out with his brother, Ken, and his 'bestest friend in the whole world' – as Naruto had so eloquently put it, Hinata... who had fainted promptly after. But today was different. Today it seemed like Sasuke was more irritated than usual. Why? He was the one that picked the fight first today. Naruto and Ken were minding their own business, talking about seals and how a Sealmaster Hokage would be so cool (with the Yondaime being his hero and what not) when Sasuke had made a particularly insulting comment towards Naruto's dream of being a Hokage. From there the argument had quickly taken a nosedive and devolved into something just short of an all-out brawl.

The door slammed open and in strode Ino and Sakura. "G'morning Ino-chan! Sakura-chan!" Naruto waved to them happily and backed off of Sasuke. He joyfully trotted back to their desk and plopped down between Ken and Hinata. Ken habitually reached over and ruffled Naruto's hair – which was becoming easier since Ken was growing faster than Naruto and was almost three inches taller than him. Naruto, as always, leaned into Ken's hand, reveling in the attention he was getting from his precious older brother. "So, Hina-chan, wanna train together today?"

Hinata had a crush on the blonde, the size of the Hokage monument. Interestingly, Naruto still hadn't figured that out yet, even though they spent so much time with each other. "S-Sorry, Naruto-kun. I n-need to train with my f-father today."

"Oh, that's alright! How about tomorrow?" Asked the blonde.

From somewhere across the room, Sasuke scoffed. "Why the hell would anyone want to train with a dobe like you?" Ken narrowed his eyes. This wasn't like Sasuke. It was almost like he was using Naruto as a stepping stone to further elevate his own ego. NO ONE USED HIS PRECIOUS LITTLE BROTHER LIKE THAT! Ken subconsciously started leaking a little bit of his killing intent. Immediately, everyone in the class, other than Naruto and Sasuke found it increasingly hard to breathe. "Of course, except for your stupid, dumbass brother." Ken's eyes widened, and his killing intent stopped. Everyone was breathing fine again. But... Oh fuck was the thought that passed through Ken's head right before the shit hit the fan.

It took Ken one millisecond to deactivate the resistance seals all over his body. It took him another five milliseconds to get across the classroom. And one more microsecond to catch Naruto's fist in his hand. Had he been even a bit late, Sasuke would be in the hospital right now. "Naruto. Calm. Down." Ken said sternly.

"No, Nii-san! He insulted you!" Naruto growled as the Kyuubi's chakra leaked out just barely, unnoticeable by anyone but Ken. His eyes narrowed at Sasuke behind him.

"Naruto," Ken added weight to his words. "What have I told you about being a shinobi?"

Naruto realized what he had just done and looked down. He pulled his fist back to his side, "That secrecy and deception are our right and left hands."

"And what did you just do?"

"I… I'm sorry, Nii-san." Ken stared at his little brother for a moment and then sighed.

He reached up and put a hand on Naruto's shoulder. "It's okay. C'mon, let's go back to our seats, and I'll help you reactivate the seals again."

The rest of the class looked on in disbelief as the Uzumaki duo made their way back to their seats. The collective thoughts that were going through everyone's mind could be summed up with three words: What the hell? As they sat back down, Hinata comforted Naruto and Ken went back to modifying his seal as if nothing had happened.

A moment of silence passed before one person decided to risk it and voiced the question they were all itching to ask.

"What the hell was that Naruto!?" screeched another blonde. Ken looked up and saw Ino standing in front of their desk with an angry expression. Before Naruto could reply and the whole thing turns into another argument, Ken took the initiative.

"Are you really that dumb, Ino? It's simple. Sasuke insulted me, and Naruto damn near dislocated the emo's jaw." Ken explained as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"No! I mean how the hell were you both that fast?!"

"That's classified information," Ken answered neutrally.

Sasuke grew impatient and spoke up. "Tell me, dobe! How did get that fast?"

Ken replied for Naruto again, in a neutral tone. "We are not obligated to provide you with any information, Uchiha-san." Sasuke ground his teeth and seethed.

This time it was Sakura that spoke up. "You said something about seals, Ken. Do you guys have weight seals on you?"

"I can neither confirm nor deny details of any such operation without the Hokage's approval," Ken stated, thinking back to how he had answered the cabinet once in his past life.

Again, the whole class looked taken aback. The Hokage? Just who were these two? Ken smirked and thought, this is a damn good chance. Might as well help my comrades while I can.

He began again. "Honestly, I don't know why all you girls pine after the Uchiha. Is it because he's strong? Cuz if it is, I can assure you, Naruto is at least three times as strong as him. Or is it because of his mysterious aura? If THAT is the reason, it's even worse. Know why?"

"W-Why?" Ino asked, not sure if she wanted to hear the answer.

"Because… you never know what's going on through his head. Look at him. He acts like you're all annoying but has never once told you to leave him alone. I think he just likes the attention. Don't you, Sasuke-chan?" Ken knew he was treading on thin ice. From what he'd seen throughout the academy years was that Sasuke was extremely insecure about almost all aspect of himself. Especially his strength. That was why he made sure to stay on top of the class.

"SHUT UP! YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT ME!" Sasuke roared at Ken. Again, Ken knew he was pushing awfully close to Sasuke's breaking point. The sharingan activates under extreme emotional strain, right? Heh. Might as well help him.

"Oh, is that so? I don't know anything, do I? I don't know how much you used to look up to your brother. How much you used to push yourself to be as good as him. How much you're loving all the pity you're getting from the whole fucking village right now." Ken didn't want to do this, but it was the only way.

"SHUT THE FUCK UP!" Sasuke pulled out a kunai. "I'LL KILL YOU!" Ah! Perfect chance!

"Of course, you will. Now we can truly see. You really are Itachi's little brother. Who else would kill his own comrades?"

The class went silent after they all collectively gasped. Ken once more deactivated the resistance seals and got ready. Sasuke's face contorted in rage. He clenched his eyes and when he opened them again, there was a sharingan with two tomoe in it.

With a loud intimidating warcry, Sasuke jumped, launching himself at Ken, fully intending to impale the redhead with the kunai. Sasuke approached – right arm which held the kunai was extended, going straight towards Ken. Ken saw it coming a mile away. With decades of experience and knowledge behind his back, Ken's instincts activated immediately. As Sasuke's right arm approached him, Ken put his hands up and twisted to the right, diverting the trajectory with his left forearm. Sasuke tried to pull his arm back, but Ken was faster. Ken clamped down on Sasuke's right wrist and pushed it down, resulting in bending Sasuke's elbow. Ken reared his free arm and went to punch Sasuke right in the jaw but Sasuke quickly utilized his free arm caught the fist. Ken took that opportunity to bring his right knee up and kick the Uchiha's precious package, instantly making Sasuke double over and black out. Sasuke lay unconscious on the classroom floor.

Yeah, it was a cheap shot, but guess what? Shinobi weren't samurai. They don't play fair, especially when their life depended on it. The fight was over in less than a second. Ken backed away and took the kunai from Sasuke's grasp and put it in his own hidden holster.

He walked to his bag and got his water bottle out. "Ino!" he called out.

"Y-Yeah?" said the blonde fearfully.

"I need a mirror," he said in a commanding voice. "Now." He followed when the blonde didn't move.

"Y-Yes. Just a m-minute." Ino ran back to her bag and searched through it. A few seconds later she pulled out a small makeup mirror and fearfully handed it to Ken.

"Thank you." He said as he took it from her hands. Ken walked back to where Sasuke was laid out cold.

Ken opened his bottle and poured some water on Sasuke's face. Said raven sputtered and woke up with a jerk. Ken put his bottle down and kneeled in front of the Uchiha. "Sasuke," Ken called out, grabbing his attention. He held the mirror out for Sasuke to see his own reflection. "Channel chakra into your eyes."

"You!" Sasuke growled out and narrowed his eyes. Ken knew Sasuke was going to try to start another fight. He reached out and grabbed Sasuke's neck in his hand, nearly cutting off air flow.

"I said, channel chakra into your eyes. NOW!" Ken leaked killing intent intentionally this time. Most civilian children fell to their knees this time, breathing heavily with sweat collecting on their foreheads. Sasuke's eyes also widened. He was about to rebel but thought not to and did as was told.

Instantly, both eyes shone red and the two-tomoe sharingan flared to life. Ken held up the mirror once more and said, "Look. Your eyes."

Sasuke looked and gasped. "N-No way…"

Ken released the Uchiha and got up, simultaneously cutting off his killing intent. "You're welcome." He gave the mirror back to Ino. "Thank you, Ino-chan!" Ken smiled brightly.

"N-n-no problem." She said quietly, taking the mirror back while blushing.

Ken went back and sat down beside Naruto, who was now totally starry-eyed. "WHOA NII-SAN! How did you do that!? Can you teach me? Please? Please? Pleeeeaseeee?" Naruto bounced up and down in his seat.

Ken chuckled at his brother's antics. And ruffled his hair again. "Maybe next time, Naruto."

"Mou… you always say that, Nii-san." Naruto pouted.

Sasuke looked at the scene in front of him longingly. Tears welled in his eyes, but he quickly blinked them back before anyone saw. Though this did not go unnoticed by Ken and Naruto.

"Don't do that," came a soft voice. So soft that it went unheard by everyone other than Ken, who was the closest to the person speaking, and Naruto, who had enhanced hearing thanks to the fox. "You say it once, and you'll say it again. And you'll keep saying it again, and again, and again until there won't be a 'next time'. All that's going to be left are bad memories." Sasuke finished speaking and got up.

Ken and Naruto glanced at each other, making eye contact and having a whole conversation in just those nanoseconds. Both of them nodded at once and turned to the solemn Uchiha. Sasuke started walking away, but abruptly stopped when he felt a comforting hand on his shoulder. He turned back to see Ken's softly smiling visage and Naruto's wide exuberant grin.

"I'm not going to say I understand your pain, cuz I don't. But… I can try. WE," Ken gestured to himself and Naruto, "can try. We didn't have an easy life either. Being ostracized by the whole village since birth. The only one who acknowledged us was Hokage-sama. I can't tell you why we were looked down upon since it's a state secret but… I just wanted to let you know. If you need anyone, we're here. If you need a helping hand, a shoulder to cry on, someone to rant to, hell, even if you had a nightmare and just want someone to spend time with, we're here for you. We can try to understand each other's pain."

"N-Nii-san?" Naruto called out shakily. Ken turned towards him with a worried expression.

"Yeah, Naruto?"

"You… you know why the villagers hate us?" he said with wide eyes.

Ken sighed and closed his eyes. When he finally opened them, everyone could see just how much suffering and agony he had been going through. "Yes. Yes, Naruto. I do know why the villagers hate us. But you don't need to concern yourself with a bunch of ignorant pricks," he finished.

"But… but… why didn't you tell me!?" Naruto shouted.

"As I said, Naruto, it is a state secret."

"What's a state secret?" asked Ino from the sidelines.

"A state secret is a sensitive issue or piece of information that is kept secret by the government, usually to protect the public. In Naruto's case, it is an S-class secret. Anyone who talks about it will be executed on the spot. And before you ask why I know about it, it's because I figured it out myself. Y'know, let's do an experiment. I want all of you to try spending one day with a henge on. I want all of you to henge as Naruto for just one hour and keep walking through the streets of Konoha. Then, spend one hour in a Sasuke henge. You'll immediately notice the difference." Ken challenged. He turned to Sasuke and added, "that doesn't mean I'm undermining your life though. But please, keep what I said in mind. Don't push others away. We're just trying to help you."

Sasuke diverted his eyes, "I'll… think about it."

"That's all I can ask. Remember, strength in numbers."

Somewhere from the back of the crowd a voice scoffed and spoke up, "tell that to 1000 Iwa shinobi."

Ken growled and turned with his fist raised, "Oi! That's different! The Yondaime was almost a damn god! He doesn't count, dammit!"

That was the moment Iruka walked in, "Everyone to your seats! Class is beginning!"


Ken was immediately woken as he heard Naruto shift in his covers. "Nii-san?"

"Yes, Naruto?"

"Why did Sasuke say that?"

"Say what?"

"Y'know, the 'maybe next time' thing."

Ken sighed. "Honestly, I'm not sure but I can guess it's because Itachi probably used to say the same thing to him when Sasuke asked for training. Seeing us interact that way probably brought back some bad memories." Ken stared at the ceiling for some time. "You know, I don't think Sasuke is a bad person. He's just afraid of making bonds in fear of having them snatched away someday which is why I want to make him see that bonds are what truly make someone strong. Wanting to protect someone is the greatest motivator ever. Even greater than revenge."

"Nii-san?" Naruto spoke up again.

"Hm?"

"When you talk about stuff like this, why does it always sound like you know it?"

"Huh?" Ken replied. He was truly confused.

"I-I mean… It's like… when you talk about that stuff, it's like you've been through it already. It's like you're… you're," he was cut off as Ken finished the sentence for him.

"Talking from experience?"

"Yeah! Experience! That's it! Why does it always sound like that?" Naruto asked curiously.

Ken thought about how to answer that before he just laughed. "Tell you what, Naruto. If you pass the exam with close to top marks, I'll tell you a secret about me. One that no one knows, not even the Hokage."

Ken couldn't see but he was pretty sure Naruto was wide-eyed and gaping like a fish. "Not even Jiji know!?" he asked incredulously.

"Nope! Now I'm going to sleep, and you should too. Good nitrogen, sleep tightrogen, don't let the bed bugs bitrogen." And Ken was off into dreamland, leaving a confused and bewildered Naruto awake to ponder his brother's words.

8