The Last Act – Part 009
38 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Merlin stood within the circle as from the ashes of my body formed the physical nature of Freya before a light hit her body from the sky. As the light disappeared she took in a deep breath. Losing her balance, she began to fall towards Merlin who quickly caught her. The look of pure joy on his face as he embraced her muscular body.

“M-merlin?” she asked with a confused look.

“Yes, it’s me, Freya. I finally brought you back home.” Merlin said as tears began welling in his eyes.

When she finally gained a sense of understanding Freya stood up and looked around at everything. The castle was nearly completely destroyed and corpses that had turned to ash moments before had returned to their corpse-like states. Freya didn’t know what to think of it. She knew what these sights meant. Something she wished to avoid for most of her life. Yet, Merlin was standing in the middle of it as the only survivor.

“Merlin, what is this?” she asked before she began screaming in pain whilst holding her head. Her mouth began foaming as she collapsed to the ground much to Merlin’s dismay.

“Freya! Freya!” he cried as he tried to figure out what he could do to help her. Then she stopped and sat up. She looked Merlin directly in the eyes whilst he tried to stop himself from crying.

“It’s been so long.” she said before going to hug him. Merlin embraced Freya eagerly before feeling a sharp pain in his gut. The pain made him forcefully exhale.

“W-what did you do?” He asked as she continued to embrace him.

“I’m killing you as punishment for your crimes.” Freya said with tears welling up in her stern eyes.

“Why? What crimes are you talking about?” Merlin asked with a confused look as he stood up and backed away from her. Looking down he noticed that Lou Barret’s knife was sticking out of his stomach.

“I was just shown your memories and I can’t allow you to live after what you’ve done.” Freya said.

“But everything I did was for you!” Merlin exclaimed to try and give him some moral high ground.

“No, you didn’t! Had you been doing it for me then you wouldn’t have killed so many people. You wouldn’t have purposefully escalated wars. Had you been doing this for me then you wouldn’t have done those things. No, you were just being selfish. I thought you loved me but it seems that sometime during our time together you started seeing me as an object.” Freya yelled.

“That’s not true!” Merlin yelled back.

“If it wasn’t true then you wouldn’t have killed Arthur, your best friend. You wouldn’t have tried to kill the man who tried to save me. All you’ve done is killed people to further your goals. Just like my siblings.” Freya said as blades shot up around Merlin. The force of which guillotined his arms and legs off. He screamed in agony as his body fell to the ground and blood seeped into the grassy ground below him.

“Freya, please. I just wanted to be together with you…” He said before expelling his last breath.

“I know. I wanted to be with you too. You were just too lost though.” Freya said, hoping that he still had enough life in him to hear her.

After removing the knife from Merlin’s stomach, Freya walked beyond the now broken walls of the castle towards the river. As she walked several hundred blades shot out of the ground, destroying the ritual site. Upon reaching the river’s edge she held the knife out in front of her and forced the knife into her chest. The blade pierced through her heart before she fell into the river and it was stained a crimson red.

* * *

I floated around through an endless void. There was nothing that I could see except the stars. Where was I? What was I? My body no longer had a discernable shape. You could say that I looked human but also like an animal. A being with a single head yet also numerous heads. There were rings around me that were intertwined with other rings and could see everything. My body had wings that could cover my entire self yet I also didn’t. Both alive and dead. There were white robes adorning my body made from black cloth and a bird’s beak on the tip of each of my wings. I was an existence of contradictions and intangible ideas.

I knew what happened before I was in this state yet I can’t remember how I got here. My body had been turned to ash by Tim and as a way to torture Merlin, I gave Freya his memories. It was my final act. Although, here I am in the world of stars trying to figure out what I was. Just how long had it been? A year? Two years?

“It’s only been five minutes actually.” I heard Tim say from a direction that I want to say was behind me.

1