❈ Chapter 14.2 ❈
336 6 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

One thing that Cordelia had noticed about the student body was that they were generally motivated. Lessons went on very smoothly. Zero interruptions. Zero distractions. Zero nonsense. She didn’t know if this was reflected by the other year groups as well but her fellow freshmen had a strong will to learn. 

      Likewise, the instructors were also very attentive to student needs and put maximum effort into their lessons. Every part was planned out meticulously, demonstrations choreographed and explanations concise yet informative. So this is what it means to be a world-renowned academy. At times, even non-humans attended from the Crescent Continent though it was mostly because they didn’t have the same disdain towards humans like their brethren.

      Admitting that the lessons were indeed useful, Cordelia found herself settling nicely into her new environment. She remained distant from her classmates and only answered questions when it was necessary. Assignments were handed in time and prim notes were taken. She was the picture of a star student. 

❈ ❈ ❈

14th of April, the Year 1202
8:00
Cheiss Academy, Weaponship Spire, Swordsmanship Division Training Grounds 3

 

Cheiss Academy’s students were divided into Departments. These Departments were then split into Divisions, each one unique and linked to their Department. For example, the Department of Weaponship contained the Swordsmanship Division and Paladin Division. As a freshman, Cordelia could choose 2 Departments and pick 2 Divisions from each one which would then fill her schedule completely when combined with the compulsory lessons from the Department of Liberal Arts. 

      She had hoped that Runecraft would be available but was disappointed when her request towards the Department of Magitech was denied because it was only available to 3rd Years and above. Although they reasoned that Runecraft was too advanced for them, she knew that it was because there was a shortage of resources and instructors on the subject; even Cheiss Academy couldn’t find so many experts.

      “My name is Kaine Euneric. You may know me from the entrance exam. I am the Senior Instructor for the Swordsmanship Division and your instructor for the next 6 years.”

Having witnessed the strength present in this freshmen year, the academy hastily assigned Kaine as their instructor to further amplify their talents and propagate them to become powerful exponents, exceeding any year before.

It was also because he was the most familiar instructor with them, though that was an insignificant point.

      Today was Cordelia’s first lesson in the Swordsmanship Division. Abelard and Soleil also attended this lesson, having chosen Swordsmanship like her. The former wielded a bastard sword while the latter wielded dual short swords, more akin to daggers than a sword. 

      In order to personally evaluate their abilities, each student was to spar with Kaine in a 1-on-1 fight. Obviously, he would hold back while simultaneously gauging their strength. Each swing, each step and each twist spoke volumes about them and that was what he was aiming for.

“The first one to have their back touch the ground loses. You also lose if you step out of the boundary, or say the words ‘I concede’.”

He pointed towards the white lines which formed a large rectangle. 

      Being in a class of 20, it took a little bit of time before Abelard, Soleil or Cordelia were called up. The girl could confidently say that she could beat the majority of her peers as she watched on, arms crossed.

“Soleil Arkite.”

As his name was called, the previous challenger fell on his bottom, the wooden sword in his hand clattering to the floor. 

“Yes.”

      They faced off, Kaine holding his one-handed longsword and his younger opponent gripping his daggers tightly. Their stances were unwavering and Cordelia could tell that their instructor wasn’t holding back; he had no intention to kill but he had no intention to be soft either.

      An assistant instructor was at the side to adjudicate. 

“Begin!”

At once, Soleil jolted forward, his body low to increase his speed. Puffs of dust accompanied each footfall before they made first contact, with the student attacking head-on. They met in the middle, locked in a battle of strength. It was only a few moments until Soleil broke off, knowing that it was a futile competition.

      He tried to slash and thrust from multiple angles as he manoeuvred around Kaine with his fleeting steps but the man merely blocked, parried and countered without ever following up; he was an impenetrable wall which you couldn’t cross.

      Lips set in a firm line, Soleil then cast a powerful wind spell at the dusty ground of the training compound to throw up a smokescreen, capitalising on his agility and insubstantial weight. Bits of dirt and earth showered the area, causing others to shield their faces and inwardly curse at him.

      Distinct sounds of wood crashing against wood were heard, with small scuffles and footsteps. Everyone listened closely since their vision was obscured until all went silent. When the dust cleared, Soleil was laying on the ground with a sword at his throat, his daggers out of his reach. One the other hand, Kaine was completely untouched; there was not a single crease on his clothes. 

      “Decent. Abelard Hertz, you’re next.”

Hands clenched into fists at his sides, Soleil left the stage with a dark mood. He was so distracted that he didn’t even bother to raise a hand to his friend who was now walking up, a fire ignited within his eyes. 

      Their fight began but nobody moved, the opposite of Soleil’s spar. Abelard was carefully analysing his opponent just like Kaine was trying to gauge his strength. The tensing of muscles, movement of joints and breathing; all of it was taken into account. 

      Even when I try to use Identify, it doesn’t work. Abelard repeatedly activated the skill only to come up as blank. This was something that he had never come across before. There may be stronger monsters and humans than him but he had been able to at least get their maximum health, mana and stamina. But here… nothing.

      No time to waste. Clashing with his instructor, they entered a fierce duke of swords. Block. Right swing. Thrust. Block. Block. Parry. Dodge. Backstep. Slowly but surely, the Alemann boy was being forced to retreat but he couldn’t find any openings to escape. Now on the verge of stepping out of the stage, he decided to stake it all.

      An eye for an eye. A tooth for a tooth! Completely abandoning defence, Abelard resolutely took the devastating lunge at his ribs, his overhead swing not wavering one bit. The pain in his lower chest was unnoticeable due to the adrenaline coursing through his veins, his brain focused solely on this one attack. But it was useless. 

      Or so many thought, as Kaine jumped back to dodge the blow. However, this gave Abelard some breathing space, if just for a few moments. Refastening his grip on the sword, the student then circled around Kaine, mixing in feints so that he could fully escape the corner. But that was the end of his success.

      In the face of overwhelming power, small tricks and plans are nothing. Kaine sent his student flying with a single, powerful swing of his sword. It was such a basic movement but filled with enough strength, it had the potential to shatter mountains. Abelard’s wooden sword snapped upon meeting the man’s swing, along with his confidence, before skidding across the ground. 

      “Instructor Kaine wins.”

The last few students were called up and utterly defeated in a similar fashion. Only Abelard, Soleil and a tiny number of other students were able to last even a few minutes against him. 

“Instructor Kaine wins.”

“Cordelia Auster, come up.”

“Yes, sir.”

She had inspected his battles and scrounged up any information she could, storing it in her head. Every minute or so, she would attempt to use Identify to no avail. The gulf in strength was clear and wide. She knew that. But she tried anyway.

      To give up before trying was something she disliked, though there were times when retreating was necessary. War tactics and the such were something she learnt when she inherited her father’s position as the General of their small army. All of his notes, works, books and knowledge was passed on to her. 

      Her bokken having no sheath, she simply drew the sword from her hand and settled into a stance. Legs bent and muscles relaxed, she entered a state of total concentration. Using Flicker Sword Arts was useless against Kaine because it was just too weak due to her weapon and the skill’s low level. 

      Having observed his previous matches, she concluded that he always waits for the student to come first, never aggressing so he could appraise their ability. Ranged attacks were useless because he was too fast. Long-term strategies and tactics were useless because they were too weak in power to make a dent. Overpowering him in sheer speed or strength was impossible.

      So how could she defeat him? Cordelia knew that this was just a test; there was no need for her to get so worked up about it. But for some reason, the gears in her brain were turning, going exponentially faster as a minute sensation of thrill made her heart beat faster. This passion for battle, for a fight… it was very familiar to her. Almost like that time.

      Don’t lose yourself. You already did during the exam, despite all of Brother’s warnings. Breath. In… and out. The slight craze in her crimson eyes vanished. In its place was an eerie placidness. That’s right, why was she trying so hard to beat him? There was no need to defeat the man in front of her; she just needed to display her strongest. Yet, in the dark corner of her mind, a traitorous voice whispered in her ear. Kill…

      “Begin!”

All of Cordelia’s previous conjectures and data was swatted aside as her instructor instantly appeared behind her, his blade already high in the air. Out of pure instinct, her body bolted around while dodging backwards, the bokken already in front of her chest. Bracing herself with Enhancement Magic, Cordelia’s pupils constricted as she watched his sword smash into her. 

Boom!

      It did not sound like two wooden swords clashing at all. If Soleil were to describe it, he would say that it was more akin to a hammer befalling upon a great shield. The sheer force generated winds which caused everyone’s hair to whip around as Cordelia uncontrollably flew backwards. Her feet were still somehow planted into the ground so she was able to barely stay in the boundary, only a few inches away from defeat.

      Light smoke rose from the edges of Cordelia’s broken sword. Why did he attack first? Kaine now just stood there, a hint of astonishment on his face. He had held back. There was no magic involved, no shenanigans. He only relied on his stats. Even so, she managed to resist with her 2 digit stats as compared to his 4 digit ones. He then noticed a certain something now stuck to him.

      “I concede.”

The man’s declaration shocked everyone. Why? He clearly had the upper hand, no? Their thoughts were disproven when Kaine raised his arm, showing off the seal stuck to his wrist. It was an explosive seal, one drawn with her blood on a special type of mithril-inlaid paper. In other words, an extremely powerful explosive seal (for her level).

      Frankly, if Cordelia had detonated the explosive seal, it wouldn’t do much to Kaine. Maybe he would get a small burn on his arm and rip up his clothes but apart from that, he was unharmed. It was just that against an equal opponent, they would’ve been decimated.

      Checking the time on the huge clocktower near the centre of the academy, Kaine nodded and announced the end of the lesson. He walked away promptly with his assistant instructor, leaving the students to gawk at Cordelia.  

      Many weeks passed like this as she familiarised herself with others and the academy, spending time training and socialising with Chloe. By extension, she found herself in conversations between Eldrich and his group due to Chloe’s insistence. Words rarely spilt from her mouth but everybody appreciated her presence. She calmed the others, like a beacon of guidance. 

      It was startlingly uneventful in comparison to the troubles she went through during the exam… and Cordelia wanted it to stay that way.

❈ ❈ ❈

Not much to say this chapter. I guess I'm just so used to putting in A/Ns that it's become a habit now. If I don't put an author's note in, it's not a chapter for me.

Anyways, feel free to comment on any improvements I could make or criticism for my mistakes and have a nice day!

11