Rockin Our World
86 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
I want to make an announcement for this story, but mostly for the other nine stories that were submitted for this contest -- which I'm certain I won't win.  XD
 
My story probably isn't bad, but rather the other submissions are that much more awesome than mine.  If you had some interest in this theme, then please check out the nine others.  ;)
 
 
SSSC Submission: “Rockin’ Our World”

 

“In the Beginning… what, was there darkness or something like that?” Looking around, all I could see was the boundless void of space. There really wasn’t much to look at around here. To be honest, this place was kinda desolate.

Kinda… there was me. What could I do to liven this place up?

“...Lights!” With the snap of my fingers… “Oh, ah… fingers!” Okay, first there were fingers. Then there was light… “...You’ve got to be kidding me.”Then there were eyeballs to see the light.

Blinded for a moment, I looked around for the first time.

“...OH FUCK!” There were already lights in this universe. Not only that, but there was a serious population that existed around here.

At least, there was until I went meganova on their sorry asses.

With a great big sigh, I took away some of my time to take stock of the mass extermination and extinction of all manners of life and matter in the surrounding galaxies. But as I did so, I had visitors.

...Not very happy visitors from the outer rims of my fuck-up. Time to put on a smile… Ah…

Then there was a mouth with a big ol’ smile! “Hi! I’m your new neighbor… Oops.” From my voice alone, any and all those within earshot of me combusted. On that fatal note, I had a curious thought. “...I thought the void of space couldn’t produce sound?”

Unsure what to do about my circumstances of being here, I supposed my existence was a little too much for this dimension to handle.

“Oh, okay, okay. I’m moving.” With that said, I opened up a little tear in reality and slipped right into a truly dark black hole --

-- and popped out of the light end in another plane of existence. Once again, everything looked completely devoid of, well, anything.

This time around, I wasn’t gonna be shooting first and asking questions later. So I went ahead and said, “Hello? Anybody home?”

Not hearing anything was expected, but if there were other cosmic beings like me, that would be an outstanding encounter. Never had one before, but one never knew what could be found in another dimension.

After I put on some new peepers -- black holes tend to rip everything about me into the tiniest of pieces -- I took a look around.

“Woah… someone really needs to dust in here.” Forming a hand and waving off the atomized particles out of my face, I saw practically every galaxy was a nebulous dust cloud. Either somebody was hitting the road fast and hard or there wasn’t much left to find here. “Yeesh, I’m glad I don’t have allergies.”

In a few more moments, I decided this place was a bust and formed a new black hole to dive in. As an afterthought, I believed this dimension could use a heavy vacuuming…

Slipping through yet another hole, I saw the usual: nothing. I got out my specs and started looking around --

-- and took in the brightly lit sights. Stars. Big and brilliantly colorful in a myriad of shapes and sizes. There were some bigger than me, which was commendable.

But I wanted to find some life in this place, and once I did, maybe get a party going. I mean, I hadn’t really had a good time in, well… it had been a really, really long time.

If there were others here, the question was: could they handle me?

This time around, I kept very quiet and careful where I trudged through the depthless void. I thought to myself, there had to be someone out here. Too many wondrous anomalies were strewn about the place for there to not be an accident or two of life.

...After so long, I was losing hope of making my discovery.

“Why isn’t there a single person like me?” I really had to wonder about that. There never seemed to be an issue with me, but every other living creature out there had become pulp the instant I opened my big mouth.

Was my fate to be alone and watch the lesser beings dabble in the mundane?

I listed off the planes where I had found life. There were plenty of space creatures that traveled in that one dimension, but they were not too fond of me. And there was always those little worlds with one or two core creatures living inside them, but they didn’t talk much. Of course, I could always return to that recently explored universe I kinda blew up... 

In the tiniest whisper to myself, I said, “Somehow, I don’t think those folks like me very much either.”

There wasn’t a place for me to be and enjoy company. I could go anywhere, and tolerate any situation, but being alone finally had caught up to bug me.

Forming a head of my own, I sprouted some fingers on a new hand and rubbed my temple. Even though I couldn’t feel it, I’d like to think I was soothing a headache.

Since this dimension had an outstanding and pretty background, I decided to stay here. As for how to handle my lack of companions, I’d figured it out, but it wouldn’t be easy.

First off, I had to collect a lot of ingredients. A LOT!

Secondly, these ingredients had to be mixed together in a special order. I’d seen the accidents that made life, and I had a theory how to make it work, but the problem was how long it took. I’d have to be very patient with this project.

That brought in the third obstacle: keeping everything stable in an unstable manner. It was like cooking up a fire. I had to keep feeding it the right fuel, and there was always a finite amount of resources, so I had to be dead on the mark for me to get enough.

That meant I was going on a scavenger hunt!

For the time being, that meant I’d have something to do to keep me occupied. But what should I grab first?

Stardust… that meant either blowing up one of these beautifully shiny light bulbs or going back into that other dimension.

The other dimension was in need of a cleanup anyways.

Instead of opening a black hole up, I just went over to where the white hole stood. There should be some stardust being pulled through, but not nearly enough for what I had in mind to make this project work.

Taking a hold of the blindingly bright hole, I stretched it open… never did that before, but I thought that would cause the other end to be pried open as well. Bigger the hole, the easier it would be for stuff to drop right through.

And it seemed to have worked! With that in my sight, I formed a smile on my face.

Since I did plan on sticking around here, I went ahead and formed the rest of my body. There was always two of something on me. All paired: hands, feet, arms, legs, shoulders, ribs, and more. It came in handy while I worked if one of those pairs was destroyed.

For example, the hands I used to collect the stardust. Each handful was scooped up, and burned straight through my fingers, but I still had another hand to juggle the hot matter around while reforming my burnt appendages. See, it was handy to have a pair.

Now that I had made a good collection, I needed to contain it somewhere… that wouldn’t be easy, either.

From what I’d so far gathered on how these stars and worlds formed, there needed to be an outside force packing everything into a ball. Always rotating around too, otherwise if this force misses a spot, everything would come out like it’d sprung a leak.

What I could do would be to place this collection in an already existing system. Then I’d just have to wait and see how my new sandbox formed.

This part was going to be fun. I could choose any of the unique landmarks in the galaxies as a new home! How often was that possible for anyone?

As I found a perfect spot -- perfect for me, at least -- I noted a problem. Of course the dustball would form, but it wouldn’t exactly stay together without some kind of adhesive. It would just pack itself up like rolled up dirt.

“Okay…” Looking around, I decided on the next ingredient. If this was stardust, then it should react with a living star.

In the system, there was a single star burning brightly. All I should’ve had to do was bring my ball close enough to the star and watch it forge itself. The heat should be enough to melt the new world together as one mass rather than a countless number of star particles.

...And the world burned. A nice hot, molten, ball of red flame. At least it was retaining its shape! But apparently it might be a bit too hot… I’d have to find the exact distance to keep it nice and hot, but not too hot.

Scooting the ball back and forth, I noted how the world continued to be a burning ball of fire. What I needed now was water.

Looking around, I did find what I needed, but everytime I applied the water, or ice, to the world, it vaporized! Not a whole lot I could do with that…

There needed to be a way for me to cool this thing down

Then it hit me while I had my focus on the world.

When I had my attention on the ball, my front felt cooler, but my back was toasty from the star. So would that mean if I rotated the world, and maybe kept it in a rotation, it would cool itself?

Worth a shot.

Taking a hold of the fireball, I held one burning tip of my finger on the bottom. With my other hand, I spun the world around on the tip of my finger before letting it go back to its journey around the star system.

Over the next few moments, I took note how the world did appear to be cooling off, but it was also losing some of the mass I had collected. But that was interesting to watch too.

The second mass had spun out so hard that it had begun to rotate around my world. Slowly, but surely, the mass had collected itself into a smaller ball.

As I thought, it was interesting, but I didn’t see any use behind it…

...That was until I made a startling discovery of how this new rotating mass shifted the vapors on my world in different directions. While the world itself burned and cooled, it never really shaped up the way I’d have liked it to be, but the smaller mass was causing a different kind of rotating force to affect the vapors into something new.

Clouds. Just like the collection of dust, the particles of water became dense and finally fell to cool off sections of the world until the land hardened. Then those waters pooled there to become puddles, ponds, lakes, seas, and eventually, oceans. In fact, it appeared that the whole world was being flooded.

“...Oops.”

I didn’t want to start over, but I had no idea how to fix this situation. It was like a hydrocell with none of my solidified stardust in sight.

...I could grab more stardust, right? Would that cause a problem if it wasn’t fully solidified with the world? I had no idea, but I was about to find out.

Back at the white hole, I began collecting what I could once more of all those burning particles. Once I gathered enough, I just hopped on back over to my world and dropped the big load into it.

And that caused a new problem. The moment the stardust hit the world, there was an explosion of force so great that the water parted from the impact to leave the solid core exposed. The heat spiked, and once again most of the world’s water became vapor.

So I was now back to a floating rock in space with a humidity to rival a sauna.

What else could I do? The little ball had helped before, but it appeared to be having a problem with the new amount of mass I added to my world. It was like the two were no longer balancing each other out.

Sighing, I began to believe I failed my creation.

“I suppose this is why life gets created by accident, huh?” With a shrug, I just laid back and relaxed in the system until I could think of something better to do with my idea.

The world still existed, so it wasn’t a total loss. But it was just an ornament. My idea for creating my own company wasn’t going to happen.

Shutting my eyes, I decided to take a nap and simply dream of the world I wanted. One where there were people like me, but… but ones that couldn’t royally fuck up like I could. So maybe less powerful, but with more potential to create.

And maybe, unlike me, these folks could learn from their mistakes. Well, at least, I could dream…

At least, I thought I could. Something kept loudly popping next to my ear like popcorn in a microwave!

...Popcorn? What the He-- wait, what was Hell?

Blinking awake, I took a look around and found myself kinda littered with space junk. No idea where all of this came from, but there was a seriously loud signal being launched through me. I could see images, hear them, and feel out how they traveled.

It was a truly odd sensation. Kinda like having an explosive surge rip through me without the lasting damage to my body.

With wonder, I searched out where it all was coming from…

...Then I spotted my world. It had life on it!?

No idea how or when… anyways, cool!

For a few moments, I searched out any significant changes that could explain this phenomenon. There were differences with my world; for instance, the water had returned, and there were landmasses, but I couldn’t figure out how the world had corrected itself.

Then I saw the smaller mass. My world’s moon.

There were craters on it.

Taking a peek around the galaxy, I noted my white hole had continued to pour in the other dimension’s bountiful collection of stardust. And, overtime, I supposed that dust had balled up into something else, just like my world had, and traveled around until --

SMACK! Right dab into my world or the moon. In fact, I could see other worlds had suffered the same treatment.

...If I was lucky, other worlds might have a bit of life on them too.

Now for the last task on my part. Would these folks be able to handle someone like me? If so, I was so gonna rock their world!

1