000.1 – Demon Lord ~ Reincarnated in the Modern World – Prologue Part 2
160 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hello.  My name is Yoshida Haru.  That's Haru spelled with the Kanji for Spring Moon (春月).  My wife's name was Hinata, with the Kanji meaning Ray of Eternity (光永).  My daughter's name is Hina, with the Kanji for Beautiful and Calm (媛凪), so that she will grow to become a calm beauty.  My wife wanted that name for her, especially if she was born early enough for Hinamatsuri.

Today is my wife's mother's funeral.  My daughter's grandmother's funeral.  

When my little girl called me at the end of my shift at the convenience store and told me that her grandmother had died and to send the mortuary, I collapsed on the floor inside the store.  My coworkers were shocked, and wanted to call the ambulance for me, but I had to get myself together so I could get home to my daughter and call the hospital... I called the hospital on my way home, anyway, and met them at our apartment building.  Hina didn't let them inside until I was there, because I'd always told her not to let strangers into the house.  Everything was fine... not fine.  Grandmother was truly dead.  She had died sitting in her favorite comfy chair, and looked very peaceful.

Now we're at the funeral service, just a few days later, and Grandfather (Hinata's father) and Granddad (my father) and Grandma (my mother) and a few friends are saying our goodbyes to this wonderful old lady.  For the past six years, she's always come over to watch over our sweet Hina while I was at work, and pick her up from her kindergarten class.  Grandmother even usually cooked meals for us early, just so that I could eat with my daughter in between my regular job at the accounting firm and my part time job at the convenience store.

It really was a shock, though, that both mother and daughter (Grandmother and Mother), my wife and her mom both died on my daughter's birthday.  I was afraid that with this second death on her birthday, my little girl would start to blame herself, but she actually came to me and told me not to worry - that Grandmother will always be watching over her, and there's nothing at all to worry about.  I don't know why, but her words did help put me somewhat at ease.

Since that day, my daughter seems to have decided to grow up.  She stopped speaking with a childish pronunciation, and has even begun cooking in the kitchen, and even shopping for some of the groceries!  I feel terrible that this is forcing her to grow up so fast, but my parents both work, and they're not often able to stop by our apartment to watch over my daughter.  I suppose grandmother taught her in the kitchen, because the food is actually well-balanced and delicious, if usually a bit simple.

Still, at least my parents can watch over my little girl tonight.  With that, I'll be finishing as much of the condolence sake as possible while I mourn for my wife and her mother.

3