20. The Quirky Old Lady
886 1 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Hallmark Centris is a high-end mall located in the most prominent area of the shopping district in Capital City. A place where one gets in rich and gets out poor except maybe for those who own Centurion, Palladium and Infinite Gold Cards to name a few.

After her outburst at the wedding, Sophie had become more cautious even to her own family. Father and Mother Qin believed that what she did was only a one-time incident and their daughter sincerely repented. To prove that something like that was never to happen again, she was dragged to the Tang house for an apology.

But even after the visit, Sophie still had no idea where Leo and Linda went. None in the family mentioned anything. Although on the surface she was forgiven, she could feel everyone’s attitude had changed.

These days she is growing more and more anxious as though there is a noose closing around her neck.

“How long does it take to change into a single dress?” the impatient voice of her boyfriend sounded behind the dressing room’s door. “Are we getting these or not?”

Sophie pulled back from her reverie and looked at the champagne colored evening gown. “I will have this one.”

After paying, her boyfriend, who is none other than the mayor’s despotic son, grabbed her into a corner and did a little groping. “You seem not in the mood lately, babe.”

“Who wouldn't be?” Sophie replied sulkily. “We have barely seen each other since I came back from the wedding.” 

He was the only one who had enough resources to help her track where Leo and Linda went.   

A flash of guilt passed on the guy’s eyes. “I was just around the corner, are you sulking? If you miss me doing you then,” he began kneading the left cheek of her buttocks. 

Sophie slapped his hand. “Are you busy with someone else?”

“Just a fling.” He snorted casually. 

He met an energetic kitten in a mountain spa not long ago. It's almost a month now and he had his fill of her. It was a good thing since the expiration date is just about up. As for why he keeps hanging on to Sophie despite knowing her real intentions, it was because of pride and her thin connection to the Tang family. It was a relationship of purely fulfilling each other’s needs. Though the woman may not be so intimate, at least she is far cry from those cheap sluts in the alley. 

When his phone rang he turned his back saying he still had something to do. 

“Take care.” He said stuffing a card in her hand before leaving.

Unlike many girls who will get upset after being ditched, Sophie prefered he leave early. Since he is currently occupied by someone else it was better to let him so she can ask for more favours later. A mobile wallet should just act as a mobile wallet. Sophie looked at the card on her hand with a slow smile then walked leisurely towards the opposite direction to make good use of her newly acquired allowance. 

“Watch it!” 

The startled exclamation came from the plump lady in a monogrammed print dress holding an LV bag. She collided onto Sophie as soon as they stepped into the boutique entrance.

Perhaps Sophie was so excited that she did not bother to put up any facade and instead of apologizing she rather looked at the lady with mild irritation and disdain, “You watch it.” 

And quite deliberately, she patted her shoulder while giving the other a bold once over. “Try not to eat too much, maybe you’ll fit in the door.”

The sales girls standing nearby went pale. 

The lady stopped short, narrowing her eyes. “Is that so?” 

When Sophie was looking at her, she also did her own observation. Frankly, this type of little rude girl is not someone she would pay particular attention to in ordinary times. There are hundreds of them everywhere and she has ways to deal with them. However, as she looked longer, the girl’s face became much more familiar.

“You’re blocking the entrance, move.” Sophie sneered. With a flick of her thin waist, she walked ahead.  

The lady did not speak as she tried to recall where she had seen that face. 

“You’re a very rude girl.” The lady said after a while. “Has no one ever taught you to apologize when hitting people?”

Sophie laughed walking around the shelves. “Between a killer whale and me, who is likely to get hurt?”

The fatty wants her to apologize? No way! Why doesn't she look at herself in the mirror?

Everyone in the boutique looked at her oddly. Is this girl insane? 

“What?” she glared at the sales girl nearby. 

The salesgirl has no retort, why bother with this uncultured person? Good things will come to her soon.  

The woman she bumped into is none other than Mrs Carol, the wife of the rumoured crime lord. Some time ago, an email was sent to her containing pictures of her husband holding a young lady out of a private men’s club and several other intimate pictures. She was numb to this kind of news, her marriage is not particularly merry as well but she still has a few requirements. One is that her husband can find playmates but he absolutely cannot squander her money.

As the one who holds the financial capital in the family, Mrs Carol can tolerate her husband’s philandering as long as he remembers not to go over the line. She was born in a wealthy family whereas the husband was only a small-time gang leader. It wasn’t until he married her that he earned a reputation in the city. 

She knew the old bastard loves to plant his seeds everywhere. In fact, most of the friends he acquainted himself with had the same dirty hobbies. What made her stomach lurch was when she noticed that in the photos though they changed several venues and partners, the young lady in the picture remained the same. 

Mrs Carol looked at Sophie suspiciously. The other who was oblivious to the gaze continued to pick clothes with no worries.  

       

Friday night, Sena drove out of Paragon towards the northeast exclusive community where someone dear to her will be celebrating her 56th birthday. 

As her former teacher, Sena came to pay respect and as her mother’s godmother, she came to reconnect. Not many people knew in the circle that Mrs Eleanor Muller, an iconic figure and socialite, is a close acquaintance of her mother Paula. She was her friend, mentor, and confidante. Naturally as Paula’s only child, the elder’s fondness extends towards her, Sena.  

In many of the soirees in the Capital City, her birthday is one of the most anticipated events. Every year, the prestigious Muller family would hold a party to mingle with their old peers and also to welcome young potential stocks. If one wants to make their way within the upper circle, attending her birthday is a must. Supposed Sena made a mess with her appearance tonight, she will not only shame her late mother’s memory but also earn the ire of Mrs Muller.

Sophie knew the importance of this party to younger people like them and wanted to take this opportunity to widen her network and mingle with the real rich of the circle. She was looking forward to this opportunity for several years now and had been hinting Sena to extend a helping hand. A few weeks back, she finally got her invitation. Unfortunately for Sena though, this also became an opportunity to push her deeper into the mire. Out of nowhere rumours about her meltdown circulated all over Capital City and at this moment, she is certain that it already had reached the old lady’s ears and if the old lady finds her behaviour in accordance with those rumours she would surely be disappointed. 

The same as last time and her battered image will sink further. 

Cars lined up on the main gate while there weren’t many people at the entrance hall when she came. Most of the guests have moved to the main living area connected to the back gardens to greet the celebrant and mingle with friends. On the foyer waiting, Sophie stood wearing a champagne colored dress and an innocent smile on her lip. Last time she came here in a fluster after sleeping the whole day. 

Jogging her memory, the past flowed like a river. 

The night before Mrs Muller’s birthday. She was invited by Sophie and her friends to hang out at a newly opened club somewhere outside of Capital City and got herself drunk. The result, she nearly forgot about the party. 

It was the same scene as before when she came. Sophie was at the foyer waiting for her to make a fool of herself. That time, she rode a taxi, hopping right inside without her invitation and argued with the junior butler. A good circus scene played out with her as the monkey being pointed at. To make sure she followed the cue, they stole her invitation and purposefully spiked her drink for tonight’s showdown. As stupid as Sena was, she never thought she would end up magnificently jumping right into the trap. 

Everyone is aware that Mrs Eleanor Muller is known to be notoriously strict. She could be haughty and sharp-tongued and once you get banned on her doors, it will be a stain hard to remove. 

Sena had no great grudge against Sophie’s clique but who gave her such an enviable privileged life? Security, money and network all of which easily came to her while for other people it takes a lot of struggle to have them in a lifetime. They wanted her to experience how it feels to slowly lose those advantages and that moment during the party was a great platform for it. 

Sena smiled self-deprecatingly. Climbing up on the circular driveway is a white Maserati Ghibli.  

“Miss Erde?” the junior butler called out surprised. 

Sophie stepped forward to greet her, “Sena, you came?”

“Why shouldn’t I?” She blinked. 

Sophie looked a little unnatural for a moment not knowing how to retort. She thought she would tuck tail because she lost the invitation card and would humbly ask her for help but looking at her confident posture, she doesn’t appear to be bothered one bit. She was sure they had thrown her invitation away. How could she remain so calm when she should be crying at this moment? 

Don’t tell her she plans to crash? As soon as the thought came, Sophie couldn’t help feeling surprised and disgusted. 

“This is a serious black tie event, Sena you can’t come in without invitation.” She said gently as if explaining a complex matter to a backward child. With this, the conversation easily gained attention. 

“No invitation? Is this even possible…”

“Who’s child is she?”

Sena ignored the murmurs and smiled like a cat, “Who told you I need an invitation?”

“Sena, don’t be unreasonable.” Sophie moved to hold her hand but she avoided her like a  leper. 

“I don’t know where you get the idea that I’m crashing.” Sena looked up with a faint smile as she climbed the marble steps. “I came to greet grandma Elle.” 

She politely told the junior butler that she lost her card somewhere. Those nearby frowned looking at her as if she was trying to swindle the Muller’s butler. But the revelation next second, shocked them. 

“Certainly Miss.” he nodded, “She was expecting your presence.”  

The guests mingling around the vicinity throw in curious stares at the enchanting figure ascending the steps. Tonight, she wore Armani Prive’s mauve billowy dress. A richly embellished V-neck detail top with its sheer floaty skirt silhouette. Mrs Muller dislikes heavily make-up women, the young lady was clever enough to only put a thin layer highlighting her natural features and smooth skin.

The junior butler naturally knew what to do. Miss Erde is no stranger to this household. Her playroom beside the pool house is still there until now. He looked at the delicate-looking young lady far from the circulating rumours and sighed. In the end, rumours are called rumours because there wasn’t an ounce of truth in it.  

“You are letting her in?” Asha complained with an incredulous face. “Didn’t you say if there is no invitation guest cannot come in?”

The guests waiting on the side thought so too but soon, their doubts and impatience were clarified when the junior butler shook his head and said firmly, “Miss Sena is not a guest. She’s a family.” 

“Impossible!” Sophie shot Sena with an intense glare. 

The junior butler lost his polite smile and looked at Sophie and Asha. “May I ask which family these two ladies came from?”

Sophie's whole body shook after seeing the butler’s stern look. Asha made a quick dash before another question was asked. 

On the second floor directly above the foyer, a person leaning over the railing caught sight of Sena the moment she entered. He did not expect to see her arrival just when he thought to leave early. While his thoughts run amok, inside, the party is at its full swing. 

Zhang Min can still feel the tearing sensation on her scalp until now. Who would have thought that Asha’s claws could be that sharp? 

She did not just pull her hair, she punctured her scalp with her acrylic fingernails! 

A little further away while Zhang Min glared at her, Asha checked her reflection in a pocket mirror. Gosh, that butler earlier gave her a scare, she thought he was going to ask them to leave. The tension made her head ache, speaking of it she had been feeling pain on her nose these past few days. Maybe she does need to consult her surgeon, see if the implant has a problem. 

 

Mrs Muller let the youngsters move around while she sat on the chair and exchanged pleasantries to guests from time to time. She felt weary these days, her grandson is at the age of playing around and he did nothing these days but went out.

“Madam, Miss Gina’s student came to bring you a gift. She also studies at the same university as the young master.” Butler Nam said in a hushed tone.

“What else is new?” Half of her grandson’s acquaintances came to offer greetings both sincerely and pretentiously. 

Mrs Muller rolled her eyes, flipped her silk and lace fan and started fanning leisurely. Some may start to wonder if the air conditioning was not sufficient to satisfy the great madam, Old Nam knew better, it is merely a habit when she is starting to get impatient. And he was right, Mrs Muller could have appreciated this birthday party if it were in her time. Those days people knew how to behave and conduct themselves accordingly. 

Those who wanted to advance themselves in society would put forth an equal effort to achieve their dreams. Whereas plenty of the youngsters she sees right now couldn’t wait to latch on to the next big person, spreading their favors for an easy life. It wasn’t that she was looking down on them. Anyone can choose their way to live. It’s just that she finds nothing admirable with this sort of method. 

Take her student Miss Gina, for an example. She was once her student and had a great prospect in her career for teaching etiquette to several ladies who are eager to learn the art of refinement. Unfortunately, she chose another way for herself. After the introduction, a young lady in a pale yellow dress stepped forward holding an exquisite lacquered wooden box nestled on her slender hands.

“Good evening Mrs Muller. I came on behalf of my teacher Miss Gina.” She greeted her with a soft voice and a slight smile. 

“Oh, what a surprise.” Mrs Muller smiled thinly. “Gina sent you, girl?”

Maya nodded.

“I heard you were in the same university as my grandchild. I never thought that the wayward boy would have a sensible one among his bunch of car racing little cretins.”

Praised for being sensible from the rest, Maya felt flattered. However, no matter how happy she was, the feeling shouldn’t reflect on her face. Adapting an offhand attitude that is neither too expectant or too timid she carried herself well despite the nervousness she felt. 

“Grandmother, her name is Maya Luz and she’s my university schoolmate.” The young man wearing a grey suit and a gentle smile introduced. “She’s not one of the boys.”

Mrs Muller inclined her head subtly and peered under her eyelashes to take a look at this face, whoever it was. The young lady in front of her has a soft look and has an advantage of being baby faced. She was then reminded of another girl her age. She had a big bold gaze from those translucent green-brown eyes. Eyes that are screaming for attention and mischief. 

The girl here on the other hand seems too pure for the world. 

“Ramsy m’dear, is the person deaf?”

Ramsy shook his head with a chuckle.

“Mute perhaps?” she fanned herself again. 

“Grandmother, don’t be like this.” 

“Then why are you speaking for her if she’s not handicapped?”

Ramsy ignored the thorny tone and replied, “Because I know how you are. Miss Luz, don’t take her words to heart. She's always like this to people but she’s a nice lady.”

Maya did not mind. She rather wished they could chat longer. To some, their conversation may even appear intimate for its length, a feat no one achieved so far because of the madam’s arctic demeanour. 

“I see you have gossiped about me.” the old lady said insipidly. 

“Mrs Muller I’ve heard only good things about you.” Maya said but the next moment she was stunned stupid.

“Yes, good things like hosting fancy parties and how mothers use my name to scare their children.”  

“I, no—”

“I don’t believe you haven’t heard about me being spoken to like that. Not at all.” 

Maya felt her brain hurt. Why does it feel like the old lady is being deliberately difficult? Still, with an unwavering smile, she endured and extended her gift. “I heard you are quite fond of hand fans so I thought of you the moment I saw this 18th-century ivory folding fan when I happened to visit an antique store.”  

Mrs Muller made no move. “Ivory? From those poor elephants? Marvellous.” 

The last word had a barb but Maya muted it in her head and focused on the fact the old lady talked to her. Even if she felt attacked, she had to show grace. Everyone here is used to the old lady’s attitude anyway. Once she gives in, she loses. The head butler standing on the side, stepped forward to receive the box and place it on the side table. Old Nam just returned to his position when he caught on a familiar figure entering the living area. 

“Madam, Miss Sena is here,” he informed her smilingly. 

The atmosphere suddenly shifted as the madam lifted her head looking at the girl moving fluidly towards their direction. Even his grandson Ramsy had to move aside to give her way to let the madam have a clear view.

“Sena, you came.” Ramsy greeted her with a wide grin.

“Hello Ramsy.” she greeted back without stopping. “Long time no see.”  

“Thank goodness, you go and appease her before she breathes fire.” he thumbed towards the old lady in mock horror.

“Still afraid, I guess.” 

The soft silk dress on Sena created lovely waves at each of her steps and the colour paired perfectly to her healthy complexion and natural grace. 

Maya saw Sena leisurely walk as the crowd naturally gave way to her and her smile wavered. Simple pear-shaped diamond earrings adorned her small ears, hoops and openwork bracelet on her wrists. She had no huge accessories because her little purse itself is already encrusted with several black and white diamonds. 

Maya especially dressed up tonight because she knew reporters would be coming here, Father Luz indulged her for the sake of publicity however Sena unexpectedly showed up! 

“Granny Elle,” Sena called with an unabashed openness, filtering the nearby person out of her line of vision.

Being blatantly ignored, Maya did not react strongly. 

Mrs Muller haughtily raised her chin and snorted, “If it isn’t Paula’s little hoyden. Why dress so splendidly, dear? What’s the occasion?” 

The air compressed at the fierce reply to the greeting. People who were watching for fun smiled inwardly hoping to see her reduced to tears. 

Mrs Muller closed her fan with a snap and put it aside, “Come, let granny have a look.” 

“I’ve missed you, I’m sorry I’m late.” Sena picked up her pace and dove directly at her.

“Hm, forgiven.”

Maya stood in stupefaction on the side. So were half of the guests here. 

The old lady patted Sena’s back gently. “There, there.” 

“Granny, you always smell sweet.”

“And you always pounce on me you silly brat.” Mrs Muller said sharply. “Have some shame. How old are you now to still cling like glue?”

“You like it anyway.” Sena tilted her head up and giggled. “I heard it’s your birthday.”

“Glad that you are aware. Now, where is my gift?”

Throughout this evening, everyone is accustomed to coming close to her seat offering gifts and flattering her but never did she take the initiative to ask. Only when this girl came.

“Gift? I came to eat your food. I know your chef is good and there are lots on the table tonight.”

“Ha, brat.” Mrs Muller sighed whilst rolling her eyes. 

“I was joking.” Sena leaned over and whispered. “It will arrive by tomorrow.” 

Mrs Muller shook her head smilingly. She felt Sena’s hug was a lot tighter and much warmer than before, it felt like she was hugging her after a very very long time of separation. Odd but her heart shook. Not even her grandson would hold her like this. “Accompany granny for a little bit over there. It is getting stuffy around here.”

Maya’s face fell, she thought the madam would stay for a little longer. She was beginning to step up her game and gain a more favourable impression but that short conversation lost its meaning at Sena’s sudden interruption. 

Sena extended her hand and helped the old lady up. Holding on to Mrs Muller’s arms, they walked side by side along the lines of portraits and artworks on the wall not far from the main hall. 

“Granny, these things were at the gallery before. Why are they here?”

“Oh, never you mind.” the old lady waved, “I want to reorganize things sometimes, what about it?”    

“I didn’t say anything against your arrangement.” Sena defended, “I’m quite liking it actually, these things had been locked up gathering dust over there for years. You might want to change the venue to the back garden next time, see if they would love the fresh scenery.”

The old lady was horrified and smacked her arm lightly. The only reason why she moved the paintings in the living area because she was afraid those cretins her grandson brought would scratch it when they rampage in the gallery. Now, this imp suggests she puts them outside to be exposed to the weather!? 

Sena saw her gloomy look and began to laugh. Of course, she knew how much Mrs Muller loves her art. She nearly gave her a heart attack when she wielded her crayons at seven years old to add a few nice whiskers to her Gainsborough. 

Mrs Muller huffed reminded of that time. She changed the topic soon, “Little girl, did you see who else came with Ramsy tonight?” 

Sobering up from her laughter, Sena sighed, “I did but should I be interested? I have nothing to do with them.” 

Mrs Muller made a gloating expression. 

“Precisely.”

It’s not that she did not recognize Sena’s half-sister. It is exactly because she recognizes who she is that she did not want to bother. The stepmother and half-sister are the kind of sly pair one should take precaution with. Mr Luz’s family can very much do however they wish as long as they do not start with the little girl. 

Old families indeed care a lot about reputation but they are not entirely ruthless to cut one of their own just like that. She is not blind to see that someone is trying to set up Sena. While there may be people who will have doubts there are still those in their circle who first and foremost pay attention to facts. If Sena had persisted with her rebellion only then she would concede. 

“All these noises and those ghastly smells are making my head spin. It’s a good thing you came and saved me or else I’d vomit right in the middle of the hall.”

“But it’s your party, even if you vomit right in the middle who would dare complain?”

“You do see me as someone frightening like that, don’t you?” 

She winked at the old lady, “Aren’t you?”

“Cheeky girl,” Mrs Muller grumbled. “By the way, something unpleasant reached me. Do you have something to say?”

Sena fiddled with her fingers for a while. 

“It’s true.” she admitted outright. “And the reason was quite embarrassing, childish even. I wasn’t feeling good these past few months and stayed inside my apartment because I felt like my life was rapidly changing. I’m sure grandma had one of those moments, yes?”

There was a pause. 

“Problems, huh. Everyone has them. That’s the main reason why I learned to smoke weed and dated men at concerts.” Mrs Muller quipped and added a few chuckles to Sena’s horror. 

The old lady shrugged then commanded. “Do continue.” 

Thus she continued, albeit awkwardly, “Oh well, my two closest friends stepped forward, about to begin a new life and I suddenly didn’t know what to do.”

Mrs Muller looked at her with wizened eyes, in it is a well-hidden concern and affection. 

“Fortunately, I’m such a clever person and I’ve sorted out my things somehow.” she said proudly and deliberately raising her chin, “See, I realized that I have been looking at the situation from the wrong angle, that I cannot go on and be a burden on big brother Leo and Linda.”

“I’m glad you’ve learned,” the old madam said in a rare gentle tone. “Or else I will march right up to your apartment and draw you out myself.”

“And that is why I did not dare continue…” 

Mrs Muller laughed heartily accepting her obvious flattery. Their joyous laughter trailed behind letting the person who had been in the shadows hear. 

He leaned on the wall and pulled out a cigarette. On second thought, he discarded lighting it, he didn’t want to diffuse the mild scent that came off her lingering in the air. 

When Sena and Mrs Muller returned after a half an hour walk, more and more guests came. Sena did not leave the old lady’s side making everyone wonder how she was able to last. They thought Ramsy’s friend had the sole privilege of getting the old lady’s approval by not showing any signs of fear when she is being scrutinized but that was nothing compared to this familial intimacy. 

 

Maya was brought back to their table by Ramsy then he went ahead to welcome the guests. Seeing Sena after a while unsettled her. They were only months apart but the difference between them is a chasm that kept on haunting her.

She never thought herself inferior; she believes she gained more than that half-sister of hers. She was lucky enough to be raised by both parents who love and are patient with her. The reputation she has was earned through her efforts not because it was already set for her. 

Yet somehow when she saw Sena, reality smacked her in the face. 

Sena did not have to guard her every move at all, people saw her as she is and they are not repulsed by it. But how can that be? Maya is unaware that what she is currently doing is finding an excuse for her jealousy. She was picking faults to justify the feeling churning in her chest. 

“See? I told you she looks different now.” Meribeth grumbled unhappily. 

“It’s not that surprising since her mother is popular. Naturally, she knows how to keep her reputation.”

“What reputation? Who the hell does she think she is? She’s not even a celebrity!” 

“Remember where you are.” She reprimanded. 

Meribeth frowned and turned her eyes elsewhere. It’s too bad the party is unlike any other she attended. It was too quiet, almost boring that she could fall asleep. The only consolation is that there were plenty of handsome men for eye candy. 

“Maya, I don’t see Dresden anywhere.”

“He’s just around.” though she did not know what he was doing after he sent the gift. 

Catching a glimpse of Sena from the powder room, Maya stood and purposely walked in front to cross her path. Meribeth followed suit.

“Big sister, you also came.” Maya greeted with an affectionate tone. 

Meribeth’s obvious contempt is written all over her face but why should Sena care?  

“Don’t call her that, she doesn’t deserve it.”

Maya's eyes moved slightly on the oncoming person. Meanwhile Sophie and Zhang Min moved closer waiting for the drama to unfold. Now that she’s cornered, how is she going to react?

“Do you need anything, Miss Luz?”

Towards this half-baked sister of hers, Sena has no other feelings except disgust. She just had enough of this teary pitiful manner. She always had this abandoned puppy-like look she probably adapted from heaven knows what kind of soap opera. If people didn’t know any better, they would think she had ruthlessly kicked her. Though she’s actually itching to do so. 

Everyone here knows the feud between her and that excellent old man of hers. With her notorious reputation, added by Maya’s humble attitude, it’s understandable how she easily became a third-rate villain in their eyes in her past life. 

“You are also father’s daughter, what would I call you then?

“Definitely not big sister. Your cousin is right, I don’t deserve the title.” Sena repeated, enunciating the ‘big sister’ with an eyebrow up high on her forehead. 

With this aggressive rejoinder, Maya trembled and her eyes watered ready to perform. It must be nice to have faucets for eyes. Sena thought funnily despite the situation. It's easy to turn the water on and off. 

Meribeth, who maximized the thickness of her face, sprang into the action, “For once, can you not be so unreasonable and embarrass people?! How could you say that to Maya!?” 

“You have opinions?” Sena glared at her frostily. 

“I know you resent me because…” 

However, before she could go any further Sena’s chuckle cut her off. In a playful tone she said, “Spare me the goosebumps, my dress is quite thin.” 

“Sena.”

“Correct me if I’m wrong but, aren't we both born in the same year Miss Luz? What’s more, you are barely even three months younger than me. I remember we went to the same kindergarten.” Sena shook her head. “A three-month gap is not that big, don’t you think so?”

Finished dropping food for thought, Sena turned her back going to Mrs Muller and the other ladies’ table.

“Maya is still talking to you. You stop right there, Sena!” 

Did she really think she could boss her around? Meribeth was dying of anger when she was treated like a fart. 

Dare they play games here? She and Maya deserve to be cousins. 

Maya loves her game of pretend. Always adapting the image of the poor bullied illegitimate child, she could easily harvest sympathy. Being the frail damsel by reminding people how pitiful she was bearing the stigma of being a second wife’s child. Since she loved this character so much, Sena decided not to fight her.  Maya can go ahead and remind everyone how her mother was a shameless mistress who sneaked into a married man’s bed while her wife was still pregnant!

Left stunned, Maya did not expect it would turn out like this. What just happened with the stupid sister of hers? 

“Did you see how that bitch acted?” Meribeth hated that she couldn’t emphasize how contemptible Sena’s attitude was that she couldn't close her mouth. She kept yapping like a high-pitched small dog giving Maya bouts of headache. 

“Keep your voice down.”

“I don’t care, everyone should know what kind of person she is!” 

“I said shut up!” Maya gritted out between clenched teeth, losing her patience thoroughly.

If this cousin of hers doesn’t care about her image, she should at least consider their whole family. There were people sneaking glances at them. Maya wanted to flee to hide the heightened color on her cheek when suddenly, the old lady came. 

“Butler Nam, who invited those people in?” 

The whole room stilled. 

Maya wanted to smoothen the situation but it seems it’s already irreparable. Noticing the piercing stares from her surroundings, all she could feel is the burst of chill from the soles of her feet slowly spreading all over her body.

“What, what’s wrong?” Meribeth continues.

“I, I’m sorry ma’am, she’s my cousin, we’re in the same class.”

Suddenly there were waves of laughter. 

“No wonder.” Mrs Muller said, flicking her fan open to cover half of her face.

Maya was mortified. She meant they attended the same class not people of the same class. Heaven knows how huge the difference is between the two. She belatedly realized why Mrs Muller replied that way. 

She knew who she was from the beginning! 

The whispers of the guests aimed at her turned more and more scathing. Worse, Dresden walked in the opposite direction ignoring her! 

How she loves to stitch Meribeth’s filthy mouth right this instant. 

 

20