23. Wow, Late Night Chicken Soup
766 2 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Because of Tsukiya’s extreme reluctance to entertain his guests, he left the burden to Sena. 

Thanks to this it opened a wider network for their company to expand their connections to those people seeking the same level of lifestyle. It was a harmonious discussion as they walked around the house while Sena explained every new feature to his group of friends and family members.

Elia followed closely, diligently helping her invite everyone to take a look at Diamond Realtor’s listings. In this way, her agent eased herself slowly to a lot of acquaintances and went home happy. 

While the two of them enjoyed the limelight for tonight, Miss Pam and Yi Ran stayed at the back of the group gnashing their teeth. The current house owner only greeted them once and no longer came down to talk. The former house owner, on the other hand, treated them like air. 

They were invited as a courtesy because this house was once on their listing and by now, people present here already knew that they gave up and let the deal go.

Diamond salvaged the property despite the risk of being too expensive for the market but no one predicted that Sena would be able to find the right buyer in just a month. The swift move from a junior was simply a blow to their ego considering they proclaimed themselves a veteran in this business. 

First, it was Yi Ran who messed up. Next, this house. Miss Pam is getting frustrated, thankfully, Niko managed to get a copy of the upcoming deals Sena was planning on working. Thinking about it improved her mood a bit. 

As long as she gets to see the clients first, there will be no chance for them to snatch it off their hands.

 

Sena thought she could smoothly get through the night without a further headache so she sent Elia ahead. On her way to the carpark, while rummaging through her purse for the key, a red Ferrari honked and sped up startling her out of her wits. Her heels got stuck on the gutter grill tipping her whole body to the side, then the car key fell out of her hands to the clusters of shrubs. 

“Are you alright?” strong arms from behind caught her back in time preventing the small tragedy of turning her face into a pancake. “That was nasty.”

“I’m fine, used to it.” she answered unknowingly to the person. 

When she looked up, it was the familiar silhouette again. 

“You be careful with these kinds of shoes,” Nicholas said mildly before setting her back to her feet. “Who knew when is the next mental case going to pop in.”

Awkwardly, she held on the hood and rotated her left ankle a little, “Thank you. I guess you saw a snippet of my acrobatics.” 

“With a little practice, you’ll surely improve.” his quizzical look went from her foot to her face. “Does it hurt?”

She shook her head. 

“Those people from the rival company of yours, they don’t seem to take losing graciously.” 

“It’s a matter of course.”

“It’s not.” he disagreed. “Once you lose a deal you have to face it. It’s either you didn’t give it your all or you gave nothing at all, there was no one to blame.”

Sena looked down with a scoff, “They’re not the kind who will willingly face the fact and admit defeat.”

“Then it won’t be long until they’re out of business.” he said simply.    

“Nikki, Sena!” from inside the house, Tsukiya’s worried voice floated out. 

“Here!” the two spoke in unison then stopped.

Under the sparse lighting, their eyes collided with mirth. 

“He’s still too energetic.” 

Nicholas nodded. “Don’t get fooled by that snail-like manner of his, he’s a good swindler. Didn’t you notice he made you do all the work while he sat on the side acting as if he’s on his last breath?”

She didn’t actually.   

“Your friends are interesting.” Sena said in a low voice. 

“Just them?” he asked, putting both hands in the pockets of his jeans. 

“Nikki, come here a minute.” Tsukiya called from the inside.

Nicholas turned back, shooting a sharp glare to the other guy and sighed irritated. 

“Wait for me, I’m going to get a flashlight. We’ll find your keys, okay?”

Sena did not reply but she made no further action in case she accidentally kicked the key to somewhere more inconvenient. Shortly after Nicholas left, a person came.

“Are you having trouble with your car?” Lyndon approached from the other side of the parking space. 

Her eyebrows smashed together along with the evaporation of her good mood. God, why is this guy so sticky? He’d been trying to get close to her at every opportunity. 

“I saw you still standing here if you want I can drive you home.” he offered brimming with goodwill and warmth that made her want to vomit yesterday’s meal.   

Why hadn’t she saw this before? He is annoying, doesn’t understand subtle hints and no humour whatsoever, just plain self-confident and cocky. Which part of this guy made him her first crush? 

“Thanks for the offer but no.” she barely managed not to shiver from disgust. 

“Come on Sena, don’t be a stranger. You used to call me big brother.” 

She did not speak. That’s the last thing she wanted him to remind her of.

Lyndon, seemingly oblivious to her curt and cool replies persisted, “Right, you have your boyfriend-- I’m sorry, your friend.” he corrected with an embarrassed laugh, “Is he driving you home? Where is he?”

Sena bit the side of her cheek and snorted, “Does it look like I’m interested to talk to you?”

His amicable smile wavered. “Wait, Sena I… have I done something--”

There he goes again with his vague unfinished words. She very much wants to raise her middle finger on his face. 

“Nope. I just don’t want to talk to you. I bet you don’t want to talk to a girl who lives in the fairytale either because she always has her head up in the clouds and is too hard to relate to.”

Lyndon felt a cool wind blowing on his whole body. A vague memory of the same words returned to him. 

“In middle school,” he stuttered a little then rubbed his temples heavily. “That was spoken thoughtlessly.”

She gave no reaction.

“I knew it was insensitive but I was a kid and it was a long time ago,” he explained distressingly, his face taut and his voice low that she almost bought it. 

Almost.  

“You were a kid and I was the stupid kid. Right?” she said blandly not bothering to look him in the face. 

“I admit what I said was wrong and hurtful but it wasn’t my intention to--”

“Bullshit.” Nicholas butt in slinging his coat over his shoulder. He just swooped down bringing with him a dark frown and an acidic tone. The wind tousled his perfectly groomed hair giving him a bit of that rebellious intimidating look. “Before you excuse yourself, you could have apologized first. Might have worked.” 

“Can you please leave us alone first?” Lyndon was incensed for being interrupted rudely.

“I’m afraid not.” he said standing beside Sena. 

Lyndon glared, “Just who are you!?” 

“You’re not qualified to know.” Nicholas turned to Sena with a mild gaze and sighed, “Looks like we’ll have to wait for tomorrow to find your keys. It’s going to rain soon.”

“Wait, Sena. let’s talk first.” Lyndon appealed. 

He can’t just leave without talking to her. Now that he had the perfect opportunity to come close to her again, it would be a waste not to try. All these years he never forgot about her, then here she is finally right in front of him all grown and mature. Groomed in sophistication and a faint sensual air. 

Nicholas narrowed his eyes at the rapacious offending gaze the other guy gave her. 

He leaned over and whispered, “I’ll drive you home.” 

Without further ado, he held her hand again and guided her towards the parked black Stingray not far away. 

“Jeezus, Prince Charming just locked his sights on you.” he said in a gossipy murmur.  

“Spare me.”  

It wasn’t until they were about to sit on the car that she realized she had been clutching his hand on a tight grip. 

“S-Sorry.” 

When Nicholas took her hand, they felt very cold. “Upset? You can continue to hold. I won’t mind.”

Sena retracted her hand quickly and did not dare to look up. A few seconds later she heard his amused chuckle.

Nicholas unlocked the door and gestured with his hand. “If you please.”

She gingerly sat on the passenger seat and remained still until they were on the highway. Sena trained her eyes on the dashboard and sighed.

“Can you be honest with me?”

“Hmm.” his finger tapped on the steering wheel. 

The intermittent glare from the lampposts flitted past them as they drove by making an alternating contrast of light and shadow. It was a peaceful drive where the wind from the open window of the car refreshed both of them from the mixed smell of perfumes and food from the party.  

Surely a lovely and relaxing evening.  

Sena leaned back comfortably, crossed her hand over her chest and looked at his side profile. A few tendrils fell on his forehead swaying along with the cool evening breeze.

She thought she would be a lot more nervous around him but aside from a little embarrassment, honestly, she was not. 

Nicholas felt her gaze and briefly graced her a glance.

“Do I look like a pathetic pushover?” she asked almost in a whisper. 

His sudden crack of laughter made her jump on her seat.

“Honey, I don’t see any pathetic nor pushover in any part of your body. Why’d you ask?” 

“I just don’t understand why I keep attracting these kinds of people.” aside from her family, others either want to use or play her. 

Why was she so unlucky? 

“Hmm…” He rubbed his chin thoughtfully. “How do you want me to answer?”

“As a passerby who has a little impression of me.”

Little impression? It certainly is more than that. Nicholas wanted to correct but stopped himself.

“No holds barred?”

She nodded. “Just like that.”

There was a pause first.  

“It’s neither your face nor your character. But maybe you need to start considering the kind of people you associate yourself with.” he said softly. 

Nicholas recalled a few things they talked about when they were on the island. In her drunken blabber, she talked a lot about her entanglement with some unsavoury friends. Guess being a sheltered princess doesn't save one from knowing an asshole or two. In Sena's case, they were all over her like pests. 

He is well aware she had reached the breaking point that night, however, it does not prevent from new flies from coming forth. 

If she's not careful, she might end up getting involved with a new scourge.

From time to time he would sneak a look gauging her mood on how she took his words. Good, she did not fly off the handle. 

Continuing, he added. “You see these opportunists, they will exploit and wring you dry and still blame you for not giving enough. But,” he paused, looked at her briefly again and turned his sights back to the road. “They won’t have a chance to come near you if you didn’t allow them to in the first place.”

She fell into a silent discomfiture while Nicholas waited for her to digest what he meant patiently. 

She knew it was her fault she invited those people in her life.

He was right anyway and she had no words to refute that. Perhaps what she needs is someone to speak to her outright about this. It doesn’t matter who. She just did not expect it would be him of all people. 

She must have looked funny in his eyes, right? 

But the guy phrased it in a way that it won’t grate on her nerves. If she flared up for having been thrown a bit of chicken soup for the soul won’t that be too ungrateful of her? 

Also, he made no effort to exclude himself from people she should be wary of.  

Nicholas held a slight smile on his face when he saw her taut expression loosen. Did she accept what he said? 

“Wait, why did you say it was neither my face nor my character?”

He wasn’t surprised by the sudden question.

“Well, you don’t look like someone who’s too naive and too trusting.”

Normally, it’s always the kindest people who often get deceived. Even they themselves are not aware they are being deceived. He thought. 

She laughed it off but his honesty pricked her chest like a screwdriver. 

Sophie, Zhang Min, Asha and even Lyndon think she was too softhearted and innocent that they took advantage of her. And just like a blind idiot she happily followed thinking there was nothing wrong with it. She had been naive at best, stupid at worst. Thankfully, she changed. 

“We’re here.” she heard him say after a long silence. 

The car stopped at the entrance of Paragon without her noticing. When they arrived the wind began to pick up and thunder rolled in the skies. Nicholas got off first and opened the door for her. The wayward tendrils of his hair being blown by the wind. 

“Sorry for troubling you.”

“I’d rather have a thank you.” He said smilingly.

Sena looked up to him and sincerely said, “Thank you.”

“See you later?”

Her head snapped up. She wanted to reply but he already started the engine and drove away after a wave then it started to drizzle. 

Strange, she felt something wasn’t right. She still did not realize one more important fact until she entered the lounge and walked towards the elevators. 

Not five minutes have passed and here she is again looking at the person in black shirt and jeans. Droplets were staining his shoulder made apparent by the bright lights overhead. 

Nicholas was panting like a dog after a sprint and miraculously made it in time before the elevator opened.

“You… how did you know I live here?” she asked.

Outside, the thunder split the skies. 

He said none and just looked at her mysteriously. For some reason, that solemn expression bothered her. Was she being paranoid? 

Sena looked around. 

When she walked up here, there were no other people except him and her. The elevator opened. Sena began to hesitate whether to get in or make a run for it and call security.

How could she be so careless!?

She made an involuntary step back. She was perfectly at ease a while ago and she completely let her guard down. Her heartbeat doubled.

How did he know where she lives? She never mentioned it once yet he accurately brought her back!

“You’re not getting in?” he leaned on the wall looking at her. 

Sena dared not talk. 

His eyes cooled a little, “Too scared to speak?” 

Her heart jumped to her throat. She wanted to make an excuse that may not sound suspicious but her tongue won’t cooperate. Compared to Nicholas’ strong and lean physique, her bean sprout self can be easily plucked and dragged if he wanted to. 

Noticing her silence, Nicholas slid his hand to her ice-cold palms making a gentle tug. 

“Hey, are you okay?”

“I'm not scared.” she blurted out stupidly.

“Hmm, but you're pale.”

“I'm very white. That's all.” Sena retorted almost angrily. 

Nicholas bit back a laugh. “I’m not someone suspicious, haven’t I told you that before?” 

“You know where I live…” she finally admitted. Her voice is growing fainter and fainter. 

He made a frown, but the amusement was apparent. “You’ll see in a while.”

He pulled her inside the elevator. The enclosed space was steady but because she was nervous she hurriedly sought the wall clinging to it like life support. Nicholas watched the silly girl fret around like a restless kitten but forgot to pull her hand away from him. He suspected she wasn’t even breathing properly at this moment. 

He suddenly felt sorry.

Despite her obvious nervousness, her grip was strong. The white palm against his was soft and already warm from his own temperature.

Sena was so close to him that he could smell the light citrus and floral scent coming off her neck. Why did she have to act so nervous as though he came to abduct her? 

For a second he doubted his appearance but he never doubted how his casual attitude has scared the girl out of her mind.  

The elevator shuttled them up to the 62nd floor. Abruptly as the door opened, Sena regained her soul back and beat a hasty retreat towards the exit. Floating behind her was Nicholas’ chuckle seemingly teasing her futile attempts to escape. Her hair stood at the ends. 

“Don’t trip,” he said as he followed leisurely.

She felt like her chest was about to explode. 

The corridor is covered by a thick black rug, ambient backlighting, an assortment of wall decors and paintings. At the far end, is a sitting area with the nighttime view of the whole marina. They passed by a floor to ceiling mirror and a round table with an exquisite flower centrepiece.  

From there, the corridor splits in two. One on the left where she lived and one on the right… 

Nicholas fished something out of his back pocket while turning to her. He decided to stop teasing else she passed out in the hallway.

“Guess we part from here.”  

Sena did a double-take. Wh-What did he say?

He was already turning on the right side, flipping the keycard between his fingers. Nicholas turned back and winked playfully before saying, “Goodnight, Sena.”

She was rooted in where she stood for a good ten seconds. Then she felt that her cool, bloodless face suddenly burned, spreading rapidly from her cheeks, ears down to her neck and practically all over her body and soul.

Ahhhh! That shameless...   

Sena gave birth to the urge to smack Nicholas to the ground.

He intentionally did it. He’d been teasing her all this time. 

And he’d enjoyed every second of it!

Unable to vent her anger, she stomped her feet morosely towards her unit and shut the door tight with extra force. Then it finally sinks in. They’re freaking neighbours. 

Thanks to her pride she did not run away like an idiot or else, she did not want to imagine.    

“Are you okay, Boss?” April came out of the kitchen holding a glass of water.  

Sena hurriedly patted her cheeks afraid that April might notice her blush. 

“A bug… there’s a bug.” 

A particularly huge one in jeans and a black shirt!

Then she fled upstairs leaving the confused April all alone. 

17