26. One Cannot Avoid Greedy Relatives
688 1 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

“What did you say?” Mr Luz asked sharply.

“Your daughter found out.” The woman’s distressed voice on the other line said. “What do I do now? What if she comes after us?”

“Rest assured she will not because she doesn’t have any concrete evidence aside from that person.”

“She already fired Niko.”

That was faster than they thought. Mr Luz pinched the bridge of his nose.  

“By the way, I saw her at Ren’s party and I must say she is far from that foolish and rebellious child your wife labels her to be. She is quite a handful though, it must have been your ex-wife training her well.”

He sneered. What can Paula do? A pampered socialite who’s living off in dividends from a company she could not manage. Her daughter would follow the same routine as her. 

Aside from managing this small real estate business, her talents are only limited to selling other people’s houses. She hurriedly finished her schooling only to waste it on small profits. 

She bought a huge chunk of land in the east but then put it to auction after just a month.

According to news he heard, that land would soon rake in millions once the government published the transit project. He already had his assistant ready to bid for it. The auction should start soon and before she finds out what golden egg she had let go, the contract has already been finalized. Even if she resented him for buying it, he had all the legal papers to prove it was bought fair and square. 

“It doesn’t change the fact that she is still young and inexperienced.” 

“When are you going to stop insisting on that assumption? I’m telling you not to underestimate her.” 

Mr Luz had no patience to listen to this, “You’re too emotional.”

“I am not. You’ll be really sorry if you’d pass on observing.”

“Then this topic about her ends here. Avoid stirring them for now.”

“Just like that?” the woman scoffed. “It may not be important to a big boss like you but my business has been affected. My agents need their commissions.” 

“Don’t forget who injected capital to your company when you’re about to go bankrupt a few years ago so I suggest you fix your tone.” 

“Damn it,” she cursed instead of calming down. “It was all your idea to poke the hornet’s nest but I’m the one to suffer the sting?”

“Then what do you want me to do?”

“I don’t know!” came the screaming. “I want everything back on track.”  

Mr Luz’s eyes darkened.

He heard movements from behind and temporarily lowered the phone.

“Dad?” Maya called from the living room.

Mr Luz turned back and entered the sliding doors from the garden. 

“It’s late in the evening and you just returned?”

Maya smiled helplessly, “The photoshoot and interview early but I had to rush over for a contract signing for a commercial.”

His tight expression softened when he heard she did it for work. “You were chosen?”

A few days ago she made tremendous preparations for an audition. Maya promised him that it wasn’t only beneficial for her career but the company as well.

“Yes,” she replied happily. “Horizon Group sent one of the executives to be a judge in the audition and I was picked. They said I fitted the image they wanted for the jewellery.” 

“That’s great, that’s great.” Mr Luz tapped her shoulders affectionately. 

He had been planning to make connections with that company. They are a long-standing domestic business with large influence and respectable background, normally he wouldn’t be able to brush elbows with them as a local upstart but through Maya cooperating with them is no longer a dream. 

“The next time your work drags on late, you stay in the apartment in the capital. It’s dangerous to be driving alone this late.” 

Maya’s eyes widened. “Dad…”

“It’s yours from now on. You can move in if you want to. It’s much safer that way.” 

She thought the apartment was for him to use when he’s working overtime. Joy surged through her chest washing away the murk of envy she felt when she heard Sena received an apartment on her 18th birthday. At that time, the building was still under construction and it took a long while. She had mostly forgotten about it. Only lately when the skyscraper finally opened and made it to the news with a flair that the bitterness and unfairness she felt resurfaced. 

“Thank you daddy.” She stepped forward and gave Mr Luz a tight hug.

This is her dad. The person who promised to give her the best when he took them back to his house. She and her mother no longer need to hide when meeting him.

She didn’t have to pretend to be someone else when facing Sena. Maya walked to her room upstairs still caught up with the joy of her father’s generosity. Tomorrow, she had to start decorating her very own apartment.

Seeing the back of his daughter disappear to her room. Mr Luz resumed the call. 

“What a happy family. Well, wish you all the luck.” She said sarcastically then hung up.

She waited for him to finish talking just to hang up. Mr Luz cursed viciously at the stupid woman. 

If they could just let go of the listings they stole from Diamond Realtor and start searching for deals of their own, their brokers wouldn't have to face this disaster. Problem is that none of them can predict whether these deals will sell or not since the rival company is doing business as usual.

They had no idea Sena purposefully picked these hard to sell properties especially for them. It may look imposing with high price tags and commissions on the surface but it doesn’t appeal to the clientele’s taste on today’s trends. 

Give it another year or two, maybe a buyer will finally take notice of them. 

Mr Luz was both helpless and irritated. He also needed insurance that the bidding for the land would go smoothly. What about now?

He wanted to help her but he didn't know where to start. Wasn’t the main point of sending a person to Diamond is for their mutual benefit? 

Linda and Leo both have good backgrounds and wider networks, they have snatched quite a few from their hands already and deals were closed fast. Once Diamond begins to lose profit, surely Sena will not stand idly. She will use the available assets she has to alleviate the trouble. 

How could things run off track? 

The listings Sena made seem to be problematic. Either they have violations, permit problems and liens. Several times the brokers were close to selling only to find out these traps in the end. The sale falls off, offending the buyers altogether. 

He used to look down on her so-called skills even when she got her first award, but learning of these issues, he might need to reconsider. Is she capable of digging pitfalls?  

 

At last, the company’s major setback is resolved. Hollyhock will have no way of bothering them again. 

Letting go of this week’s tension from work, Sena slept beautifully with a drool hanging on her mouth. It was a peaceful rest. She did not notice her phone flashing several times until she woke up the next day.

Saturday was an uneventful day to some except for Michael Saldini.

The report about Horizon Group’s continued falling stocks alarmed most of its investors. The chairman's office was besieged by nonstop phone calls until he grew paranoid he had to retreat to his home.

“We are going to be bankrupt!” 

“Peter, your blood pressure.”

“Mom is right dad, take it easy.” 

“Easy for you to say since you are the one who started it. Why did the problem leak out?”

“I, I’m not sure. Maybe one of the company employees who hated me released it. They wanted to see me fall!”

“Fool. The investors have already backed out and our shareholders are selling their shares. If it wasn’t for your mother we could have lost most of it to strangers.” 

The shouts erupted from the study as the guest was about to step in. Inside an obese man with a balding head stood in stark contrast to the white office as he berated the people occupying the couch. 

It’s an ultra-modern design with monotonous colour, plus these people's sloppy postures appeared so dissonant that it stung his eyes. 

“You have to be more alert. Michael also planned to talk to the shareholders to buy their shares.”

“Lewis!”  

“You called for me?” The mayor’s secretary frowned as the thick smell of tobacco rudely invaded his nostrils. 

The man named Lewis walked around the sitting area and stood beside the nagging person. He wore a standard business suit and a stony face like an executive but failed to imitate the presence.  

Surprisingly, Michael’s relatives bought his phony acting and are quite intimidated by him.

“Are you telling the truth?”

“He told me the last time we met,” Lewis answered impatiently. 

“Is that so?” Peter smacked his meaty hands on his forehead. “Let’s see if he will succeed. Did he have plans of returning to the company soon?”

Lewis looked at his oily and eager face coldly, “We haven’t been in touch for two weeks now. I was told he left his old place and took his sister somewhere.” 

“What?! That can’t be? If we lost our eyes on him, how are we supposed to follow his movement?” Peter clicked his tongue. “Do you think he knows about our transaction?”

“Impossible.” Lewis remarked in a confident tone. 

Michael is always out of the country for his career as a programmer. Most of the time he is just plain absent. The golden boy beloved by two business geniuses turned out to be a selfish happy go lucky garbage who squandered his inheritance away. That was the side he resented from him. 

Instead of letting the company of his parents rot under his hands. Why not help his relatives snatch it? 

“I suggest you talk to the people who are eager to sell their shares if you want to salvage the company and own the majority of stock.”

Peter’s son huffed. “What’s the use?”  

His father thinks otherwise. 

“Lewis, once you see him. You must think of a way to drag him back. He still has plenty of connections. I’m sure he can reverse the current problem.”

“If I openly suggest he returns, I’m sure he will begin to suspect me.”

“Suspect? You’re his good friend. He trusts you a lot.”

Lewis was not touched by the word trust. He wanted something else. 

The cousin’s face twisted in anger, “Then use his sister!” 

“Relax, with the way your company is doing he wouldn’t just disappear and let everything fall. He knew very well that his father did not want him to lose Horizon Group.”

The people inside the room made various reactions. The company was left to Michael by his parents but over two years ago, his uncle used his frequent absence as a reason to exclude him for the CEO position. The board was easy to convince that time seeing that he is yet to let go of his outside career that no one knew of and concentrate in the company. 

They successfully won the position and took over the proposed project made by Michael himself and eventually gained credits for it. Two years and their luck have finally run out. His son boldly ventures into a huge project, the very same reason why they are now at the verge of bankruptcy. 

They were out of options except turning to Michael. 

About the time when their heads are about to break thinking, Michael contacted Lewis. 

“See, I told you so.” Lewis smiled in smug satisfaction. 

Diamond Realtors HQ.

Afternoon. 

 

“Boss?” April knocked softly before entering. “You have a meeting with the people from Horizon Group this afternoon for the draft of the shareholders' agreement.” 

Sena looked away from the computer screen and nodded to April. 

Normally, she was the one who needed to come to their HQ to sign, but since they voluntarily send in their people she will graciously accept saving her a lot of time. The recent problem of Horizon Group caused the current CEO’s position to become unstable. 

The stocks fell sharply after the issue of divestment with a major resort construction project was revealed. Michael’s cousin made a huge mistake by hitting on the investors’ son at the club but instead of making up for it, they covered the scandal while frantically looking for another investor. 

Sena knew it was Michael himself who exposed the anomaly. The move was aimed to disturb the board of directors, now they are calling for the current CEO to step down. Either he lets go of the position or they will be forced to abandon ship. Most of the company funds went to that project, and other shareholders, those on Michael’s uncle's side already sold their stocks.

Horizon is at the verge of bankruptcy but the current CEO is fighting tooth and nail for it. The directors are furious. 

If they wanted to elect a new one, they needed a fifty plus one, a majority vote to put in a more competent and smart leader.

Michael Saldini’s time is coming. After she bought ten percent of the share at a bargain price during the chaos, those cronies from his uncle’s side will have no way to squeak if she casts her vote for him. 

That 10% wasn't hers originally, five per cent of it went into the hands of Mrs Luz by chance. She bought them from a friend who was down on his luck then surprisingly bore good results. With this she not only has her own money to sustain her vanity and impress her husband, even more, she also garnered a good reputation within the upper circle. 

However, without the shares, she has less capital to make people dance according to her wishes and her value to that father of hers would surely plummet. 

As a man who only looks at gains and profits, how was he able to remain with a woman who couldn’t even help him prop up his company but also carry the stain of adultery? 

It was high time they found out the consequences of their so-called true love. 

Taking this from that kind of person will not prick her conscience one bit because her move will allow Michael Saldini to take over the company much earlier and perhaps save his baby sister. 

 

On the other end of the city. 

Nicholas riffled through an international magazine and got his eyes glued to the little model on a swing made of vines and flowers. Her hair tousled by the wind. 

Fresh, charming and exquisite, those luminous light green eyes peering through dense eyelashes and smiling at the camera collecting another soul to her list. She wore the latest collection of Kalliste, a beautiful gold and pearl Mayflower bangles paired with a necklace.          

His concentration was broken when he heard movements from above.

“I don’t get a coffee or something?” 

“You get water. Plain water.” Michael said, walking down the stairs. 

“You look in a good mood, any news?”

Michael knew he was referring to his investment so he generously reported, “One of the old guys on the board wanted me to return to the company quickly. I guess they could no longer stomach Peter’s shamelessness. The problem is that we still lack one vote to make my position official, I’m planning to meet the remaining shareholders outside and if I could contact the person from Angharad everything’s about done then.”

“Angharad?” Nicholas frowned. 

“Yes, they have 10% in their hands. You know them?”

“Angharad is a subsidiary of Nexus Global, don’t you know?”

Michael barely shows surprise but this news gave him a startle. Nexus, an international giant like Aiguille had their eyes on them?

“Angharad under Nexus is a huge real estate company focusing on exclusive luxury hotels. Heard of Pytheas? They’re the one behind it.”

Michael was speechless. He may not be a person who pays too much attention to the world outside but he is not entirely ignorant either. Pytheas Resort is a favourite among high-ranked politicians and businessmen, the VVIPs. 

How could such a company buy Horizon’s scattered shares without weighing the gains and losses? What is their motive?

The sudden plunge of their stocks was because he released the news of divestment. It was a tricky play to make several directors panic and force them to let go of the shares in their hands.

Michael knew everyone was afraid it would be the end of Horizon Group soon. In order not to suffer losses, it was better to squeeze out its remaining worth before everything sinks.  

Recently, his move has gained fruitful results. His uncle’s family scrambled to liquidate plenty of their fixed assets to buy those shares back. Right now they have recovered at least 10% making them hold a total of 35% shares. However, as the heir he inherited the majority which is 30%, his father also left Layla 5% before he passed on making the two of them the major shareholders of the company. 

Nicholas helped him by buying 10% from other directors to make sure he does not lose the Horizon Group. Surprisingly, Angharad entered the fray acquiring a full 10% from the scattered shares. The remaining 10% is still divided among several partners which Michael's plans to buy. 

Between Angharad and his father’s friends, he is more positive of gaining old acquaintances' votes. Although they might be a little difficult to convince, he knew he could still win them. It’s not that he is intimidated by the other party, it was because he had no background with regards to this mysterious new shareholder. 

He was about to breathe a sigh of relief when Nicholas mercilessly broke the bad news.  

“Don’t count on it.”

“What does that mean?”

“It means your uncle works faster than you. He now has a 45% stake in the company. They already made negotiations with your father’s so-called friends to vote for him again.” Nicholas said tepidly. “Guess why they kept dragging out the meeting with you.”

He froze in disbelief. They already agreed? 

“How…”

“Do I have to answer the obvious?”

Aside from him and Nicholas, there is Lewis, the mayor’s secretary who knew he was planning to meet the remaining shareholders to buy the shares in their hands. If not him, where else would the news leak? 

“It didn’t surprise me. But he was your friend so I had to consider you first before running him over with a garbage truck.”   

“Thanks, I guess.” 

“Someone wanted to break it gently to you by giving you clues. I beat her to it.” 

“Her?” he mulled over which female Nicholas meant exactly. Apparently, there is only one. “Sena Erde?”

“You’re quite sharp. Yeah, it’s her. Remember those traffic cameras she wants you to keep an eye into? I’m certain there is something important about it.”

Sena asked him before if he’s interested in getting back the company in the shortest time possible. His answer was yes but he didn’t take it seriously. He had been planning a takeover for two years but she offered him half a year. Even a month.  

“I did a bit of investigation,” Nicholas said. “Dear Lewis had been accepting bribes to erase evidence that can throw several people to jail.”

Michael was hit by the truth. The bright kid his mother was most proud of among her sponsored children. He was sensible and smart, what made him into this? 

“Want to hear more?”

He winced. 

“This one you already know.” Nicholas smiled gloatingly, mainly at his poor choice of people. “He went to your uncle’s house.”

The person practically raised by his parents turned his back and betrayed him. Was the benefit too small? 

“That son of a bitch!” Michael exploded into a mirthless laugh. 

A moment ago he was very confident he would be able to win the vote but now he wasn’t so sure anymore. Both camps hold 45%. 

“It’s not over yet.” Nicholas cajoled.   

The only good news is that his uncle’s family may have to live in the streets very soon. To fight him for the shares, they loaned a huge capital from the bank and used most of their properties as collateral.

They had high hopes for the turnover of this new project. Michael could only laugh at their naive thinking. The project hasn’t even started and they are already counting their profits. 

In time, he wouldn’t have to forcefully take back the shares from their hands. The monthly interest of bank loans is enough to make them voluntarily let go. 

Right now, he urgently needs to contact the representative of Angharad before his relatives get wind of it. 

Thinking of how Lewis betrayed him, Michael’s smile turned colder.   

“You want to win the bid? You have to grit your teeth and negotiate with the person from Angharad before it’s too late.” Nicholas advised.

He sighed. “Problem is I don’t know who it is.” 

But soon he didn’t have to wonder.

By late afternoon at a private box of a hotel in Capital City the person from Angharad came. 

Stepping in 10-centimetre platform pumps they finally get to see what kind of person the mysterious shareholder was. 

16