4. Old Enemies From The Past
985 2 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

How can Sena forget about these faces? 

Sophie Qin, Liu Zhang Min, Asha Anuwat. These women, not only fanned the flames but made sure they jump to the trap they carefully set. 

It wasn't only them, Sena vows to unroot everyone who joined weaving that intricate conspiracy she failed to unravel in her past life. 

For the time being she has to look out for these three or else they might start something during the ceremony. Especially Sophie Qin, the so-called distant cousin of big brother Leo. A snake in human skin, her soul blacker than charcoal she plays the perfect demure young miss but Sena knows jealousy is currently eating at her heart because Linda and Leo are finally tying the knot.     

Sophie has started her plan since her family moved into the capital. Sena met Linda and Leo when she was only six years old since she had no siblings; the two would always bring her to either of their homes to play. On more than a few occasions, Sena has already seen Sophie but at that time she was but a mere shy girl from the countryside. 

Only recently, she was surprised how Sophie suddenly approached her and wanted to bond. She wasn’t snobby, she liked being with people so she unguardedly got along with Sophie and her friends. Little did she know that they have been doing this kind of twisted game since before. They would lock their sights on specific people and toys with them however they wish.  

It was a kind of manipulation where even the victims wouldn’t find it suspicious they are being played with. Their methods are subtle, quiet but effective. But what do they get from this? A dark sense of accomplishment? Entertainment? Sena in her last life was horrified to find out half of it. They were so good they even got one former classmate to jump off the building of their school. 

Currently, Sophie is getting ready for the climax of her big game using her as a pawn. Her main goal had always been to break up Leo and Linda. Sena even thought at some point that all those victims were only just test subjects to ensure the effectiveness of her plan. She was so assured of herself because recently she found a mountain to rely on, she got entangled with a son of a politician back in the capital. Last life she also relied on his connection to pull some strings, she and the others slowly eroded the business by planting spies and stealing huge clients Sena and Linda worked hard to acquire.

Hate? She has more than that. 

"Sena! Did you just wake up?" Zhang Min, the one with curly bob hair was the first to ask, her eyes going up and down her body. When she saw her face slightly tired, a sly smile formed on her face.

Sophie added in a voice dripping with concern, "I know you have been sad lately, but you cannot always rely on them forever. Leo and Linda now have to form a family. Don't feel bad about it."

Under normal circumstances, this advice could have sounded sincere but certainly not when you are speaking to a person who’s having separation anxiety at the moment. Sophie insinuated that from now on she will be alone in a context that Leo and Linda would abandon her for their own happiness. 

However this was not the same old her, with the absence of the drug, her head is clear. It's only natural because first and foremost they are husband and wife, second, they are in love, third and the most important thing is, they will always be her best friends and family no matter what.      

They have always looked out for her, now it's time for her to look after them. 

"Sad?" She raised a defiant eyebrow reverting to her haughty no-nonsense attitude, "I don’t think the word was appropriate."

She did not linger and walked to get in her assigned car. 

Her answer was vague and they completely overlooked the meaning. They assumed she was just preparing for the big show. Asha and Zhang Min exchanged smiles with Sophie. Oh, they cannot wait for it to start.

"Sophie, your little tool is dancing according to the tune. How fun." Zhang Min said maliciously. 

"It would be even better if she had that special recipe. I don't understand why big brother Leo liked the bitch Linda and that idiot Sena."

Asha shrugged, "Most children from old wealthy families who grew up together have deeper bonds because they have not only formed their circle since young they also invested feelings. It's even harder to break if the trust is there."

Sophie didn't like what she heard. Aren't they all from the same circle but damnit why is it so hard to enter their world? Even if the Banks and Sena’s family came from a long generation of wealth, they are still only two of the wealthiest families in the SE Oceanic Region. What made them so good?  

Leonard Tang vouches for his two little sisters, he was their guide, their fierce protector and a doting brother. He adored them to high heaven. He even had to marry one! It's unfair, it's ridiculous. How could those bitches enjoy everything he gave him as if they deserved it? 

And Linda? Which part of her deserves Leonard? Just thinking about it makes her feel like her heart is being scratched by a knife.  

  

An hour later Sena stood quietly, excited on the right side of the aisle near the bride and groom. The two of them are decorated with lace and tulle inside the fairyland of flowers. Donning in their black and white garment, they simply look majestic. 

As they spoke of their vows, to love and cherish each other, people sighed with feelings, some began to tear up. It's a fairytale of two childhood sweethearts who finally reached the pinnacle of their feelings. There’s already enough warm atmosphere in the chapel to push this couple forward. Plus an invisible bond they often call love. 

If I didn’t know any better…

Sena comically thought, looking at something she could never hope to have is kind of sad. She couldn't imagine a family of her own, someone greeting her with a smile after a long day or a person to cherish her let alone a normal relationship.

She knows she feels envious but that is all. It was her choice to be single. 

“Give it two or three weeks and they’ll be breaking each other’s neck like popsicle sticks.” There’s hushed laughter at her right side.

Just when she thought she was the only one thinking funny thoughts.

“TV shows could last a lot longer than this.” she butts in not out of spite but to have a little fun too.

“Agreed, those things can run for years. Linda’s a crybaby.”

She snickered. “Leo’s a total softie. He’ll panic at the first sight of tears and he’ll probably end up crying with her as well.”

“Hey, did say it was destiny. Guess they were destined to be crying buddies.”

Sena had to flex her jaw to keep herself from laughing out loud and cause both their relatives to murder her on the spot. 

The happy couple gazed at each other lovingly, making her heart squeeze a little. Will the time where she gets to feel what they do as well? She's not in a hurry but still… 

Rather than wallow in it, Sena has decided. A second chance at life, alright! She will make herself happy somehow, let go of restriction not because she needs to but because she wants to. Her chest tightened as she was convicted to that promise.

When the ceremony ended, Sena ran and hugged the two tightly. Her eyes were very moist while she linked their hands together in a firm grip. 

“Promise me, no matter what happens in the future you will always remain devoted and in love with each other until you’re both ugly and grey.” She said seriously. 

“We promise.” The couple replied. 

“You cannot let anyone get in between you two, not even me.” 

Leo scratched his eyebrow, “And why is that?”

She rolled her eyes prettily.  

“Alright, not even our little princess. Happy?” 

She nodded contently. “There can only be you in each other's eyes. The rest are worms. Disgusting, ugly and jealous worms.” 

Sophie who stood not far away heard her words as clear as crystal felt her chest suffocate. Why, this little bitch!  

The guest who also heard her laughed, thinking that the youngster is even more demanding than the priest. After getting their answers, she looked relieved and was ready to bolt.

“Now, where do you think you’re going, young lady?”

“Well, I’m hungry and there’s food out there. It’s time to sample the wedding feast.” She sashayed out proudly and headed straight to the Pavillion where the reception is held hoping there will be fewer people in there. 

Wrong move apparently since some of the relatives are already there. She walked towards the opposite hall and disappeared into the lounge.  

There was a bar inside and it was empty so she went at it with the enthusiasm of a woman seeing the fountain of youth.

“What will you have?” The bartender asked.

“Anything that can make me sober.”

He made a soft laugh, his eyes smiling. It was a pleasant face anyone would like to see when they are suffering from a terrible hangover but her prelude to a perfect day was suddenly interrupted.

“She will have ginger lemon tea if you have one.” Someone suggested from behind. “You were enjoying the ceremony back there. No one even suspected you’re hammered.”

“It was good bu---” As she turned to see that visitor Sena's grin froze. 

“Hi?” Nicholas greeted.

He circled from behind to her immediate left. He stood erect with his head slightly angled on Sena while he mildly scrutinized her. It was only a few small movements but it exerted so much force.

Sena subconsciously stretched her spine straight like how she was back in elementary school when facing a very strict teacher. By doing so she strained her aching hips putting her in all kinds of hell. Large beads of sweat broke out on her forehead and nose. 

Nicholas eyed her simply making Sena want to stab him with the heel of her shoe. 

“It seems it’s really a bad hangover.” 

The bartender just finished the drink and Nicholas pushed it on her.    

Sena wanted to pretend she did not recognize him but it was already too late so she reluctantly received the drink and took small sips like a bird. She’s supposed to be feeling refreshed but hell, she’s breaking out in cold sweat.

Under the sunlight, his features became more vivid. He was already very attractive last night, now that he is perfectly decked in a designer suit and suave hair cut it made his overall features aggressively arresting. More charismatic than those poster boys in billboards lining up the city streets. 

And he has very gorgeous light brown eyes framed by dark strong brows. Sena waited for him to talk so she could at least throw in a retort and feel good about it but nothing came.  

She was confused. Wasn’t he very talkative last night? Did he become shy?

Sena wanted to convince herself that maybe he only dressed up for the occasion, nothing else, but her expectation crumbled when she saw the limited edition H.Moser & Cie’s Endeavor vantablack dial watch snapped on his clean wrist. 

“What’s the matter?” he raised the back of his hand to feel her forehead. “You’re a little cold.” 

It was only a brief contact then it was gone.  

His eyes did not leave her face, inside its glass-like lustre is the abyss black pupils pulling her in with force. The very same way they pulled her into oblivion a few hours ago. As if trying to overwhelm and unravel more of her. 

“Did you follow me here?” she asked thoughtlessly. 

Nicholas scrunched up his face giving her an ‘I’m upset’ look. 

“That’s rude. I’m also a guest here.”

She had a very bad feeling that he would say that. The clothes, his overall demeanour says it all. Gone was the fresh-looking guy she met at the beach. He suddenly became someone completely opposite of the person last night Sena is now trying to find more words to curse at herself. 

She wanted to be casual about it, she did if not for those eyes... and the lazy meandering way they rove all over her that is making her very very nervous.  

Dear God… Buddha… Santa why of all places here?

20