11. Going Back To Work
852 3 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

 When the weekend ended, it was time for the workers to return to their livelihood once again to earn. Sena is no different. April was up early and cooked her a simple breakfast before going out the balcony to water the plants. Her house looked a lot more lively now that there is another soul added to it. 

“I’ll leave everything to you.” She said while opening the main door and headed to the elevator.  

April waved her new boss goodbye and closed the door. She didn’t know what exactly she did that her misfortune suddenly turned into a luck, all she knew is that her new employer is a good person and she needs to reciprocate it by doing her best.  

The smell of roasted coffee blasted on her face the moment she pushed the door of the café open. With a black matte Birkin on the left hand and slingback heels on her feet, she walked into the counter to order her favourite morning latte.

Sena took off the sunglasses covering half of her face and was about to take a seat when a group of girls entered the café.

“Look who decided to show up.” Meribeth exclaimed exaggeratedly after spotting her. 

Sena briefly glanced at her and made no comment.

Meribeth is not an ally. 

She reminds her of that mean Queen Bee  from a popular western series. Rich, haughty minus the classy part. Sena couldn't even get mad at her childish provocations. 

From the way she dresses herself to the way she emulates the mindset of the upper crust is a sharp contrast to Sena. Meribeth loved everything with big names, she followed trends like a bible and wouldn’t dare touch discounted prices for fear of being associated with the word ‘cheap’. From her hair to her toenails, everything had to be impeccably pleasing.  

The moment she spotted Sena, Meribeth already noticed the changes and wondered where the somber cloud around her went. She impulsively sold their house and lay low just like that. Many people said that they seldom see her out these days. If she did she would be unkempt and ill-tempered and that it was hard to communicate with her at all. She also saw Sena looking horrendous a few times but why does she look different now? 

Her face is fresh and bright, her hair is styled carefully into big waves and most of all she no longer wears those baggy clothes. Aside from the bag and shoes, the rest on her body were local brand clothes picked with good taste. 

Was her depression only such a short episode?    

Her sights went to Sena’s delicately moulded face and felt discontent. They are cousins and naturally had some resemblance but it wasn’t something she was glad to have. In her opinion, her uncle’s other daughter looked a lot more pleasing despite not having the advantage of a great face. It was one of the reasons why her uncle’s heart is more biased towards the sweet and obedient Maya rather than Sena.

She herself feels a lot more amiable to Maya from the beginning. Her uncle’s first wife was an intimidating woman well-known for her love towards her child. Though her mother was an iceberg, it was the most beautiful iceberg that comes with a golden spoon and formidable reputation. Sena inherited all the good things from her. In that regard, many envied Sena.

As a result, she thought the world revolved around her overly pampered self. 

Meribeth walked up to her, “What a surprise, are you done sulking in your cave that you finally decided to show up?”

The sorority of second-generation rich girls behind began to snicker. 

“Sister, don't say that. She must have been very embarrassed to face people after she made a mess at her mother’s funeral.” 

“After the farce she did, it would be a wonder is she still had the guts to strut around.”

Sena icily swept them a gaze under her nose, “Ducks these days are especially noisy.” 

The girls stepped up in anger. Sena crossed her arms on her chest then looked at them straight in the eyes. She had never resorted to intimidation in an ordinary quarrel but business rivals who wanted to step on her head in the past life have experienced it. 

For this bunch of ninnies who hadn’t stepped out of their cradle, being stared at by her felt like being preyed on by a hungry tiger. The girls did not know why they felt such pressure they collectively clamped their mouths shut. 

Sena snorted and leisurely flipped her hair, “It smells of burning plastic,”

The remark drove Meribeth mad, “And what do you mean by that?”

“I mean exactly the quality of people you surround yourself with.” The girls following Meribeth turned stiff. “You cannot even bully people properly. The next time you do, don’t hide behind someone and use them as fodder to shield you.” Then to Meribeth who was gritting her teeth on the side, “If you always let people fan the flames, be careful next time because it might burn you too.”   

Meribeth’s face blanched understanding her meaning. She became friends with these girls because they have the same likes in common. They eventually became good sisters and hung out together. But the frequency of her getting into catfights and arguments have also increased since she gained more friends. 

“Meribeth, she’s just jealous because she doesn’t have anyone with her.” One of the girls said indignantly. 

“Do I know you?” Sena asked.

“N-No… not personally.”

“Then don’t talk as if you know me. We are not familiar.” 

Meribeth clenched her fist on the side, “Don’t try to drive a wedge between us.” 

“Please, with your flimsy friendship there is no need for me to do it.” Sena answered with a shrug. 

“Meribeth, let’s not argue with your poor cousin.” One of her girls spoke disdainfully.

Meribeth smirked, sweeping her clothes with a scornful look. Cheap long skirt, no brand top that is very common. 

“Boy, what a tiresome bunch,” Sena shook her head. “Not because you look first class doesn’t mean your personality is also first class.” 

“You’re just saying that because you’re angry that my mom bought your house!” 

“I’m actually quite satisfied with the sale, dear.” Sena replied coolly. “Thirteen million is a large sum. I’m sure your uncle was delighted.” 

Hearing the nonchalant reply the anger was lodged painfully on Meribeth’s throat. That’s not right, how could she not get mad? Knowing Sena she should be throwing a huge fit by now. She loved that house. 

Her lips curled into a sneer. “Admit it, no need to act tough. You know what? Why don't you come to our moving party because mom and I invited a lot of friends.” 

“Not interested.” Sena waved her off, walking closer to the counter. “What I throw, I do not pick back.” 

“You should go out a lot instead of hiding away from society.” 

Looking at her eager face Sena felt like laughing, “If you call working to earn a living hiding then it’s up to you. Unlike some people, I don’t plan on asking others to buy my things.”

Her answer made Meribeth’s anger rise. This is reminding her that the money she and her mother are enjoying came from her uncle's pockets. 

“Aren’t you supposed to be in the university to make up for that drop subject, what is it again?” 

Sena paused before looking at her cousin’s twisted face meaningfully. Meribeth just recovered her confidence when the hateful girl switched the topic. She felt ill at ease for some reason. 

“Foreign languages? Ah, right. I forgot. You already failed that one so there is no class to attend.”

“Sena!” Meribeth screamed. 

She chuckled lightly, “What? Did I say something wrong? I know, you only have to cry mommy and let her pay the professor so you can pass.” The more she talked the paler Meribeth’s face became. 

“I, I never did that! My grades are excellent.”

Sena smiled like a cat and called her a pretentious cheating clown in different languages.

Meribeth looked confused. What did the bitch say? 

“D-Don’t talk nonsense.” She didn’t understand any of it! 

“See, that is why you failed.” Sena took a long-suffering sigh and gave her a pitying look. “Read more books to improve your vocabulary.” 

There were schoolmates inside here as well if they believed it, what would her image become? 

How did she know about her mother paying for that dropped subject? No one except them three knows she failed. Her hands turned cold. This was the first time she heard Sena speak haughtily. From her sharp tone, graceful gestures and penetrating eyes, she felt right this moment that the quiet Sena is no longer there. How could it happen that by simply standing there she makes her feel so inferior and ashamed? 

Sena received her coffee from the astonished barista, swiped her card and punched in the pin. 

“I did not cheat.”

“Hmm, so you say, dear. But I heard the professor is under investigation now. The evidence is on his bank account…” 

The students who were sitting nearby started to whisper. The barista happens to be a student in their uni and heard about that rumour as well. His jaw dropped, so it is true. 

He looked at Sena as if looking at a very rare species. How come he did not know that Miss Erde can be quite ruthless? She can expose people’s dirt with a bright smile on that face. 

“Sena, you bitch don’t spread lies.”  

“Language Miss Martin, don’t go spilling the garbage in your brain. Not many people appreciate it.”

Before leaving she looked at the girls behind Meribeth from top to bottom, her long eyelashes fluttering. “Word of advice, in the corporate world, cheap bribes won’t work. If you don’t have the skill, you better scram before you’re exposed.” She smiled sweetly and turned back to her cousin knowing full well how much she’s dying to scratch her face but cannot, “Excuse me, ladies, I have a company to run.”

And she left, leaving people slack-jawed and aghast. 

The person sitting on the most remote part of the cafe saw and heard her and felt his eyelid twitch. Until her presence was no longer in the vicinity, only then did his eyes return to his computer.

Prickly as always. 

“President, your grandfather called again. You are requested to return to Switzerland to attend the yearly board meeting.” Secretary Jacob reminded him as he poked on a handheld.

“Got it, call the hangar and do final checks for the jet and inform everyone in the team.” 

“Already done sir,” the youth grinned widely. “The team and tax advisor are already on standby.” 

“How long is it this time?” 

Jacob looked up and narrowed his eyes. They’re barely even back to work and here he is asking for another off. “A little more than a week. Nine days at most.”

“Five days.” The president said not stopping from working on his laptop. “I need to return in the shortest time possible for my stocks. See if they made any progress.”

Jacob wanted to grumble that even though he doesn’t personally come, things will proceed as is. He only needs people to report to him and he’s done. 

On the other side of their table, the furious screech of Meribeth and her girlfriends can be heard.

“Ugh, how dare she…!” 

“That damned orphan, she only has a bit more money to burn. Did she think she’s better than us? Without her filthy money, who does she think she is?” 

“Uncle doesn’t even want to recognize her.” Meribeth spat furiously. 

“There, there, you just relax. You’ll get even with her soon.”

“Relax? Did you see how she looked at us? She thinks she’s someone great ah, if not for her mother’s money do you think she will graduate college at eighteen? For all I know she also paid for her degree.”

“Why don’t you just tell your uncle what she did today, I’m sure he would have something to say to his daughter.”

“Right, let your uncle discipline her for you.”

Meribeth’s face twisted, “Daughter? I don’t even want to be relatives with that… that airhead. I only recognize Maya, not her!”     

Nicholas snapped his laptop shut and stood suddenly. 

“Sir?”

“Let’s leave. It’s noisy here. The air is bad as well.” He said unemotionally.

Jacob rolled his eyes inwardly and followed. Who insisted on squatting in this crowded place in the first place? Now you complain?! 

The men were hidden by the divider plants, the girls did not get to see his face but they heard his cold remark making their faces burn in embarrassment.   

 

Diamond Realtors’ HQ is located at the corner of the crossroads in one of the busiest avenues downtown. Their office occupies the nineteenth and top floor of the 20-storey steel and glass building. Most of their meetings and transactions often take place inside the wide conference room but most of the time closing exclusive contracts depends on the client. The business is barely two years old yet already represents over three hundred million worth of properties on their list. 

Of course, it is only possible because of their harmonious cooperation. Leo’s extensive influence both to the business world and the social circle that has an ever-changing preference for comfort and style, Linda’s wide knowledge when it comes to people’s demands and taste and Sena’s savvy for closing even the most difficult deals. 

People say they took an ambitious and risky task amid the ever-brewing competition between giant real estate businesses. None took them seriously because for them it was all done on whim by a band of bored wealthy children. 

When the business fails, they still have other income sources to rely on. But they know better, as both agents and owners, they are confident with their chosen career and in two years, many skeptics have already eaten their ugly words.

And for Sena, this isn’t just her pastime. She fought for it with everything she got until the end. 

A knock sounded on her office doors, her hand on the paper paused. “Come in.”

A young fresh-faced woman in a ponytail entered with a tablet in her hand. This is Niko, one of the upcoming listing agents and also an intern to Linda they scouted half a year ago. Outside she looks cheerful and unassuming but just like anyone in this career she is quick and assertive. 

“Your boss is still on vacation so while she’s not around you will be reporting to me.”

Niko nodded in silent agreement before asking, “When will Miss Linda be returning?”

“After a week or so, maybe next weekend.” Sena answered casually. “Did you bring the listing for today?” 

“I have it, please have a look.”

Niko stepped forward and smelled the mild lily of the valley fragrance from the diffuser, her eyes keenly observing Sena’s office and greatly liked it. The executive private spaces occupy the topmost floor, each of them has a unique touch. This was her first time coming to Sena and seeing the modern design. 

She kept her head levelled but carefully noting the decor.

“Do you like my office?” Sena’s calm voice prompted her.

“Y-Yes, it’s very elegant.”

Sena stopped writing, frowned a bit and discarded the draft into the waste bin. “About the house in Emerald Drive, I will be going personally in half an hour to meet the owner for the transaction. You’re coming with me.” 

Emerald Drive is an exclusive community with good privacy that is why many celebrities and wealthy families live there. The house prices are much higher than the rest as well. Niko nodded her head showing a very excited expression. When she left the office, Sena leaned back on the chair with an indiscernible smile. That house is not going to sell. 

The owner is a divorcee and she accepted the property as part of her alimony. The structure, the scale and view are great. It's just that the owners made a few errors when choosing furniture making it look bleak and lifeless. 

The five-year divorcee client wanted to sell it not for the money but to get rid of the stuffy place. Sena and Linda worked hard to convince the owner to make a few tweaks to the house when they put it in the market in order to attract buyers. 

“You want to sell it big? You have to make changes. If its appearance isn't at least a bit near its million-dollar price tag, no one’s going to buy it. It will sit in the market for who knows how long and your money will fly away.” Sena said bluntly.  

A few modifications will, of course, cost a lot of money and the owner is unwilling but to close the deal she and Linda agreed to pay for the consultation and modification because they are very optimistic about it. They contacted another friend who works at a staging company to glam up the gloomy house. 

The moment it was transformed, they invited selling agents for viewing and to widen the network where they can advertise it. These selling agents are different from those who market the house, these agents are the ones who will bring them clients, because they are people the buyers come to. 

Several offers came for Emerald Drive and it even broke its original asking price because of the competition yet at some point, the owner/seller suddenly pulled out. The reason being is because she was enlightened after seeing the new look of her place and that her ex-husband started pursuing her once again. Ta-da, she couldn't let go of their lovenest.

Linda and she understand that in the business perspective, sentiments and attachments sometimes have to be let go. However, at that time, the owner did not want to sell.  

In business, not everything goes smoothly, there will be times like this and many more. But cancelling can have its negative effect, the buyers and selling agents may not want to trust your business again.

In this meet up today, she will allow the house in Emerald Drive to be taken. The spy will never be aware that a trap had just been set. 

At ten o’clock in the morning, Sena drove smoothly out of the garage and headed to the location with Niko. She met the owner of the house and over tea, they discussed a few problems. Sena proceeded with the plan, and as predicted the owner said that another company offered to represent the property. 

It was a 6,000 sq feet house with five bedrooms each with large en-suite baths, a cinema room and various sitting areas with beautiful views. Only that the choice of furniture, lighting and accessories all hurts the eyes. This time, Sena doesn’t want the owner to waver so she deliberately did not fight for it. She will let the rival company win and sign an exclusive listing agreement.  

The house price is about fifteen million dollars and no matter which company agent sells the house, the contracted listing agency will still be the one to reap the highest commission. The owner just wants to get rid of this place and live a new life on a tropical island. 

Sena put her meager acting talent to full force by appearing to be dismayed having lost the deal. However, she did not forget to promote the staging company her friend works at. Once she sees the new arrangement her mind will change and everything else will follow. 

“Are you alright?” Niko asked, concerned. “Hollyhock Brokerage may have gotten this one but there will be a lot more. Don’t feel bad.”  

She put her hands on the steering wheel and shook her head, “I’m alright. What can I do? Hollyhock’s owner was an old classmate of the client. Of course, she will choose someone she knows to help sell her house.” She sighed again, “I’ll be fine, I only need coffee. Wanna join me?”

Niko declined saying that she still has to carefully look at her listings for this month before Linda returns from her honeymoon trip. 

“Gosh, give yourself a break.” Sena chided.

“It’s a tough competition out there.” She was aiming to be a top agent after all. 

Sena dropped her off the entrance of the HQ and drove away. Niko smiled at the concierge, entered the elevator going directly to the top floor. Her face looked nervous and her hand couldn’t stop tapping the handrail as if counting the seconds.

DING. 

The elevator opened to the spacious corridor, the cleaning aunt just exited the receiving area holding a familiar-looking trash bin. Niko’s eyes lit up. 

“Miss Niko,” the aunt was surprised. “I’m sorry, I didn’t know you're coming. Excuse my cleaning.”

“It’s alright, it’s alright. I came because I seem to have dropped an earring around here.” She kneeled on the cold marble groping under the settees and side tables.

“Where else have you been this morning? I’ll help you look for it.”

“Oh, perfect! Thank you, auntie. I went to pass a listing to Miss Erde last.”

“Alright, Miss Sena won’t mind if I search a little on the floor.” The auntie turned around to the left corridor and entered Sena’s office.

As soon as she was gone Niko’s hand shot out to the garbage bin to get the crumpled paper Sena threw this morning. This is it! It’s a new draft for upcoming deals… 

Sena had a habit of using pen and paper before putting them in the computer. She once said it makes her think better. Niko found out about that when they met in several meetings. Sena, however, would pocket her trash and shred it later. The one in her hand right now is halfway done, the pen smudged the paper that is why she discarded it. Even so, there are at least twenty potential deals here.  

Niko’s heart raced and she began to sweat on her palms. If she passes it on to the madam then she will be the one to represent one of the deals on this list. She can resign on this damn post as soon as possible. 

Every last one of them is more haughty than the other. They’re barely two years yet they want to compete? In their dreams. 

A little while back when the decision was made by the client, she had the real privilege of seeing Sena’s face fall when the owner chose Hollyhock Brokerage instead of Diamond Realtors. 

With this draft, they can move a step ahead towards the biggest clients.    


17