12. Taking Control Of Her Life
808 2 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Diamond Realtors faced a surprising change lately, the staff were amazed by the sudden diligence of their little boss. In the following days, they slowly became aware that the bratty million-dollar honey ultimately matures and takes control. 

Sena comes to the HQ at exactly 8:00am towing with her a bright-eyed bushy tail April. In her office, she checked emails and responded to the ones awaiting a reply, contacts advertisers, calls buyer brokers and makes a run through her overall schedule. Finishing all that she then supervises the progress of everyone’s listings, helps agents negotiate to close a purchase contract with buyers and sends an offer list to home sellers for reconsideration.

It looks like the little boss has eaten some kind of stimulant. Why else would she become so proactive? And the most mysterious thing of all is, she suddenly has a person following beside her now.

Well, whatever that is she has eaten. It seems to be good because she finally threw away her grumpy expression like someone owed her millions and simply ran away.

Everything she does she makes April observe. Quietly, the shy trainee assistant took note of her movements and put side comments on them remembering the important details to heart. It was easy to get an overall grasp of Sena’s schedule especially when she is closely seeing it. She thought she would just stay at home and continue with the online course but Sena told her to come with her to the office twice a week. 

During this period, April slowly gets herself acquainted with everyone.  

Twice in that week Sena would also gather their twenty-five agents and hold meetings. She introduced the new properties that owners agreed to put in their company. For these new listings, Sena picked agents to represent then bring them to meet the owner or developers of properties for a walkthrough so they can familiarize themselves before deciding to make preparation to stage or groom the property to be put on the market for selling.

In order to effectively highlight their listings, they needed to step up their advertisement strategy. In her office, Sena played with her pencil for a little bit before dialling Chang’an’s number. 

Currently, on the other side, a teenager was busy playing on his mobile phone when he saw the caller ID blink: Sena.  

“Ahhhh!” 

It’s her! 

In the quiet lounge room, the tune of Toccata and Fugue in D-minor from a popular vampire movie rang in max volume, accompanying it was Chang’an’s cry of horror.  

One of the guys named Yuya threw a pillow at him, “Stop yelling, it’s too early to be deranged.” 

“Holy shit, quick hide me. No, hide my phone— here!” Chang’an panicked on his seat, dropping his mobile and eventually falling with it as well. 

“Man, what is wrong with you screaming like a girl?” 

He was just sitting quietly playing with his phone seconds ago and they thought he was the least affected by their current problem. Who knew he would suddenly become like this!? Seeing him now, everyone concluded, that the stress might have fried Chang’an’s brain.

Yuya looked at him questioningly, “Don’t refuse treatment.” 

Poor Chang’an had no idea he had been tagged mental by his friends because he was reeling with thoughts as of the moment. His elder brother called him a couple of days ago and prompted him that Sena has something to talk to him about. Leo advised not to argue and be patient with her. Fart, he had always been a patient person. People can even see a halo shining above his head. Why is everyone so biased? 

“Change your damn ringtone if you're scared!” Sydney, their group’s appointed leader-cum-mother growled at him displeased.

“Shhh, quiet.” 

The guys glowered at him. Who’s the one screaming like a banshee here? 

Everybody is not in their best mood because their long-awaited contract for an MV of an upcoming singer got cancelled. Another team from the same school stole it under their noses. Without strong backing, how are they going to complain about it? 

They couldn’t even properly get angry!  

Chang’an did not pick the call and just continued to stare at his mobile like it had grown teeth, Sydney couldn’t stand the hair raising ringtone so he answered it for him. They knew Chang’an as an easy-going friendly guy but to set such a ringtone for someone, it is either very important or very scary.        

“Hello?”

“Hey, where’s the Rabbit Boy?” 

Surprisingly it’s no Dracula nor a T-Rex but a pleasant female voice that echoed from the device. 

“We don’t have one here.” Sydney looked around and saw no rabbit. Only Chang’an’s annoying baby face that he very much likes to punch. 

“My bad,” Sena scratched her head. “I’m looking for Tang Chang’an, is he around?”

Sydney’s neck robotically turned to the terrified guy on the carpet making gestures as some complicated Kung Fu moves, he frowned. A chick is calling you and you’re not willing? 

“Ah, never mind. My name is Sena and we are friends.”

“Friends?” he repeated, shooting Chang’an a fierce look. 

The other shook his head frantically to the point that it might fall off. Fat beads of sweat rolled down his forehead to his face.  

“It’s a long story. I have a business to talk to him about. Who is this by the way?”   

“It’s his friend, Sydney.” 

Sena mouthed an ‘oh’. It’s the future big shot in the film industry! There is no need to dawdle any longer. Like limited discounted meat prices in the market, she needs to grab them now.

“You guys are classmates with Tang Chang’an, right? Then you do photography, cinematography…?”

“Yes and yes.”

“Would you be willing to sign a half a year contract with our company?” Sena paused. Oops, she pounced right in without even introducing the name and nature of their business.  

Sydney looked at the phone skeptically. Can good things come so easily?

“About my offer—”

“Sure!” Sydney blurted out. 

He shot out from the chair and began roaming around their messy room to listen. The girl on the phone began narrating loads of information that includes listings, asking price, deals, contracts that only people from the real estate know— honestly, not a lick of it registered in his badly mushed brain at all. He was too elated at the thought that a company requested for them and with such high pay. 

Didn’t they always say that when one door closes, another opens? Or is it the window? Ha, whichever but this must be it!  

Everyone looked at him in suspense as he nodded his head and repeated 'yes' mechanically like someone in deep hypnosis. 

Yuya sat silently on the side contemplating. Is it the devil on the other line? Why was Chang’an so frightened? Did it call to collect souls?  

“Guys…” Sydney said seriously when the call ended looking from a shrivelled eggplant to a crispy cucumber. He is smiling from ear to ear.  

Deep intakes of breaths can be heard, and sounds of swallowing as well. 

“We have a job!”

While Chang’an is still in the daze trying to analyze the course of the event, his comrades already jumped the fence to go worship his enemy. They laughed and praised the big-hearted person who came to rescue them from the pits. 

“What the hell bro, you’re screaming scared us. I thought it was a vampire who called. I didn’t expect it to be an angel.”

Chang’an did a double-take. Wait, what? 

“W-What do you mean?”

Sydney came over offering him a good pounding on the back, “Miss Sena asked us to take shots and videos of the properties they are selling. What an angel!”

Chang’an was horror-struck. What angel? You’re a fool, that girl is worse than Dracula. I beg you, don’t sell your soul!    

Dracula aka Sena comfortably leaned back and basked in the sun after finishing the phone call. Downstairs, the listing agents took a coffee break and relaxed as well. 

“I thought our boss is only good at negotiations, I never expected she’s good at management too!” Jue said, his head is still reeling with the two properties she introduced to them today. One worth sixteen million and the other below nineteen million all of which she secretly met just this week.

The sheer amount of those deals makes a person’s jaw drop. How did the boss know about these hidden luxury properties? Furthermore, compared to the one they lost, these new ones are a lot more advantageous because their locations were at prime spots of the city where many scramble to buy a house.  

Two of their upcoming agents were luckily chosen for the job and once it sold, their commission wouldn’t be shabby. 

However, everything still depends on the dedication and efforts they are willing to invest in the listing. Aside from making the property presentable, the next step is to put it on the market and coordinate with selling agents who will get the property sold. Selling agents were naturally the one who would bring in the buyers. 

Money doesn’t just fall from the sky and not every deal is secured. If they are not a hundred percent devoted to it they will lose a lot. But who would be a fool to let this opportunity slip?

Sena knows those two newbies are not only positive thinkers and driven but also hard working. Avoiding the pitfalls made by Niko, the company managed to escape its first accident. 

“I’m not doing this for you but for the company.” she said when they came to her office late that afternoon, “Thank me later when you have closed the deal and the properties are sold. Your commissions will be enough to feed me several crabs and spicy shrimps, right?”

“But boss, why us? It might create conflict with the older agents.” Katya, the petite dimpled former school teacher asked.

“So when do you suppose is the right time I should give you a listing?”

The two went silent. 

“I understand that you feel overwhelmed but sooner or later you have to handle deals like this. Why not do it early?” 

Elia, the one more outspoken of the two, scratched her cheek, “Will the property sellers trust us?”

Sena put her hands on the desk, “Depends on how much effort you put in. Enough of this, you should prepare instead. Remember I’m waiting for you to treat me after the sale.”   

The girls looked at each other finally letting go of their worries. Then Katya asked, “Boss you like beer to go with the seafood too?”

“Sure.”

Elia, followed, “It would be fun to come to the seafood avenue on Fridays. But beers… err, I’m not sure if you like it or not.”  

She heard Linda once say that Sena has a very delicate stomach. 

“Don’t be ridiculous, I even drink tap water.”

N-NANI?!

The two dropped their jaws on the floor. Their boss’s lovely tender lips deserve only the best, the freshest spring waters from the mountains of Fiji not the uncouth one from filtration running through the pipes! 

Elia turned to April in inquiry, the other simply nodded. She did have mild diarrhea for a few days because she was too lazy to open the fridge and went straight to the tap. But after that, she came out fine. 

“I thought the boss would only drink twenty dollars worth of spring water per bottle.” Elia joked.

Sena shrugged, “I do drink $35.00 worth of water for a box of twenty-four but tap water would do when laziness strikes. Very economical right?”  

During her worst days, when she broke her bank card to prove herself from her three grandfathers she had eaten stale bread and water from the nearby tap to stave off hunger. There is nothing she can't eat now except poison and garbage. 

“You two get ready because tomorrow we will meet with the sellers. And about Fridays, count me in on that one.”

The girls just left Sena’s office when Niko saw them heading back to their desks. She sneered inwardly, dissatisfied because Sena did not even pick her considering she is Linda’s intern. Her mood turned even more cloudy when she met April on her way to the washroom.

“You are Miss Sena’s assistant?” She asked deliberately slowing her movements when washing her hands. 

“Yes.” April smiled briefly, she’s still shy around these professional career people. She lathered handwash to her hands and began to rub the suds. A burst of fresh herb scent wafted. 

Niko looked at her over the mirror, “How old are you? Do you have a boyfriend?”

“I just turned twenty five this January and no, I’m not in a relationship.” 

“Miss Sena poached you from an exclusive mountain spa, right? That’s a very high-end place. So you’ve met a lot of big time clients, I’m sure you know half of the city.” 

“Ah? No, not really. I’ve only worked there for several months before Boss took me.” April answered in a fluster. 

However, Niko did not appreciate her humble reply and thought she was being patronized. 

“You’re planning on being an agent too?” She looked her up from top to bottom and laughed. 

Where did this bumpkin come from? She’s too timid.     

“I know it’s hard to land a job. Your basic education background doesn’t really fit, but I assure you Miss Sena will not just send you to get her coffee and buy groceries.” Niko continued not bothering to hide the ridicule in her tone. She wiped her hand with a tissue, flicked her hair and leaned on the sink. “She will help you improve. Look at me, I’m Miss Linda’s intern. I graduated from a good university yet I have to start being an intern.” 

April began to feel strange. Niko sounded sarcastic and bitter. 

With a smile, she replied, “My work is not that hard. Boss lets me study online, she buys her coffee, and as for groceries, we go together.” 

April excused herself after that and returned to Sena’s office leaving the dark-faced Niko behind. 

Bitch. She was definitely showing off! 

If she could, she would immediately resign from this small company but her boyfriend said she needs to stay a bit more if she wanted his company boss to give her a good post the moment she transfers. For now, she has to endure working here.      

Days went by in the HQ, agents were all busy coordinating with buyers. Some are making price adjustments and advising their sellers not to overprice their properties, just a typical scene when suddenly Jue burst into her office waving his phone.

“Boss, we have a problem!” he started.

“Say.”

“The property at Emerald Drive is now under Hollyhock Brokerage’s listing and their top agent Yi Ran is bragging about it.” 

Sena opened her phone to see the said account and had a meaningful smile. “They did quite a beautiful staging on this one, the house looks more airy and dreamy than the former.”

“Boss, why are you admiring the competitors' taste?! They stole it from us!” He's very distressed. He looked like he was about to climb over her table and shake some sense into her. His boss is not taking the calamitous issue seriously. 

This includes their overall image in the real estate business if this spreads out even more people will laugh at them for failing a multi-million deal. Even more so, they will start ridiculing Sena again for being ‘too green’ because she let the fat fish in their plate jump into somebody else’s mouth.       

“It’s just one house, don’t worry. The transaction failed and she didn’t want us to represent it so we let it go. No hard feelings, this is business.” she said pushing her foot on the floor to gently swivel her chair. 

Jue couldn’t let go of it because he knew how ecstatic Linda and Sena were when they were contacted by that seller. How come she’s just letting it go without feeling bad? He just knew that Hollyhock is doing it on purpose, they have done it once a few months ago now they are at it again.   

“It’s fifteen million though. It could have been added to one of our successful lists.”

Sena laughed swaying left and right, “How would you know it will become successful? Are you psychic?”

Jue stopped grumbling instantly and slowly caught on to her meaning. “Boss, don’t tell me that house is not going to sell?”

No matter how many offers came, the premise is that the house owner has to be willing to let go of it! 

Hollyhock would surely choose the buyer's agent Eaton because of his fame as one of the toughest brokers in the circle. Sena knew Eaton, he had a foreign client who's looking for a house in Emerald Drive, that house met the criteria and the client was willing to pay for it. Only that he would need a few more days to wait for his wife. Yi Ran as a listing agent will coordinate with Eaton and the client, he will bring them to visit and view the property also to check the amenities. 

If something went wrong while in the middle of making a transaction, Hollyhock wouldn’t be able to afford offending Eaton.

“Let them be happy,” Sena said with a faint smile.

“Oh, hahaha this is going to be fun!”

“You bet.” Sena grinned back. 

His fellow agents saw him storming upstairs with a black face then he returned with a happy one. What happened? Did the boss give him candy and patted his back? He looks very smug and satisfied! 

“Alas, men are more complex than women.” Katya said, biting her pen tip. 

Jue So could have been anyone’s dream guy, sweet, smart, tall, hard-working and handsome Asian face complete with long narrow eyes but he’s just so childish. 

Like a huge Alaskan Malamute always asking for pats. Katya can only sigh.   

 

16