13. A Catfight
792 1 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Wednesday of the second week, Sena’s workload lessened by a few degrees. She now has time to sit outside to enjoy coffee. Taking small sips, her eyes went to the middle-aged uncle sitting under the umbrella, a minute later a young woman in tacky getup arrived towing with her a poodle. 

Why tacky? She seems to have worn every expensive collection she has in her closet creating this hodgepodge of different colours that effectively dragged down the overall value. Well, making expensive things appear cheap is also a talent. 

Her hips swayed energetically, mirroring the joyful look on her face. Upon arrival, she moved to kiss the middle-aged uncle but he moved away as if repulsed. Because of the glass window, Sena couldn’t hear what they were talking about, however she could see the man’s tired face and the lady’s furious look. She pointed a finger on his nose and stamped her feet and turned away yanking on her poor dog. 

It all happened too fast. She wasn’t even half of her coffee and it’s all over.

She sighed and opened her phone to look at the postings of Yi Ran on his page. There were offers on Emerald Drive already but there was no sign of the huge buyer who went over the original asking price when she and Linda were the ones handling it. He was too confident he would be able to sell the house? Once the owner and her old husband reconcile they will see who’s going to end up crying in the corner then. 

She looked at the tired uncle sitting under the shade once again and thought of some things. Love, huh. Such a mysterious thing that can make the most level-headed person lose his head.

“Sena?” 

By coincidence she ran into Zhang Min and Asha who just finished their shopping from the nearby Ch*nel store. 4th Street is known as the fashion enclave of Country H where rows and rows of exclusive brand boutiques are built along with Hallmark Centris, a luxurious shopping mall for the elitist. 

Carrying several shopping bags with them, Asha and Zhang Min’s eyes lit up when they finally approached Sena. In fact, they have seen her since she entered the café earlier, they elbowed each other deciding who’s going to be the one to drop the greeting first.

“Oh, hello.” Sena greeted with a cool detached smile.

Zhang Min bit her teeth and moved forward. “We haven’t been in touch since the wedding. How are you by the way?”

“I’m very good,” she replied casually. 

Zhang Min felt inexplicably upset with her short answers. Asha gave her a warning glance before stepping in to probe more. “When did you return to the city? We thought you were going to stay longer on the island to play.” 

“I changed my mind.” 

Zhang Min laughed angrily, “You changed your mind?”

Her high pitched voice made the other guests look at them. Asha had to poke her to behave once again but she couldn’t keep her mouth shut. She was too mad.  

Sena agreed to extend their stay in the hotel and rent a yacht to play in the ocean but the morning after the reception she bolted right away without telling them. That’s not all, the expenses for the bookings had not been paid by her. Sophie had no choice but to urge them to chip in to pay for the yacht reservations and hotel rooms. If Sena hadn’t left, they wouldn’t have to spend a penny! 

“You left us alone on the island. Didn’t you promise to come along with us and pay half of the bill? You never leave without permission but what you did was really mean. We nearly embarrassed ourselves.” 

Zhang Min had been brewing her frustration for several days now. Seeing Sena leisurely sipping coffee made her frustration turn for the worst. 

“Are you misunderstanding something?” Sena asked. 

Zhang Min frowned. 

“I don’t remember agreeing to pay any bill and why would I do that?” Sena said looking at her twisted face. “First and foremost I was there for the wedding and planned to return after. As you know, my schedule was tight. It was you girls who insisted I join your yachting activity and booked the places you wanted to see.”

Asha turned pale, “But didn’t you always agree when we—”

“Asha!” Zhang Min warned. 

This idiot doesn’t think twice before opening her stupid mouth! 

The guests around them had a myriad of expressions on their faces. Some were puzzled but most of them looked as if watching a cheap play. Zhang Min still had some shame so she tried to amend the situation by taking a seat familiarly. Sophie told them to ask Sena about Leo and Linda. 

Sena crossed her legs, “I went home right after to give big brother Leo and Linda space. You know love birds need a lot of time for each other since they only have a couple of weeks off. They will be back next Sunday but I don’t wanna be the ugly third wheel spoiling the scenery.” 

After spilling it in one breath, she enjoyed the two’s colorful expressions. 

Next Sunday? Asha and Zhang Min grit their teeth inwardly. They were told the newlyweds will return last Sunday so Sophie waited for hours outside the airport.

They haven’t contacted Sena for so many days and they don’t have any reliable information for Sophie. Hell, they suddenly realized they have no idea where this little bitch lives. She sold her house months ago but none of them paid any attention to that. Not seeing her for days they assumed she just slinked back to an apartment somewhere to stare on walls and feel depressed. Yet here she is. 

“How about you guys? It looks like you’re up for a shopping spree once again.” Sena tilted her head to look at their spoils deliberately steering the topic away from her. 

Asha was easily baited, she caressed her orange and white shopping bags making her see the brand name, Sena recognized it even without looking. She’s also aware that as soon as she's home, she would take tons of pictures of it and post it on her page to show off to her fans. Nowadays there is a fast growing audience in the luxury lifestyle vlog and Asha gradually made her fame there as an internet celebrity. 

“New shoes or bag?” Sena asked.

“Uhm, bag. It just arrived today and I picked it up.” Asha smiled proudly. “Zhang Min came with me because she also has to buy a few dresses from the boutique. They’re absolutely gorgeous.” 

Zhang Min added timely, “The summer collection is out but the new ones from Kalliste, Ch*nel and D*or are not yet put on the shelves. If only we placed an early reservation we wouldn't have to wait like the rest.”

“Oh.” was all Sena said. She appears uninterested and pretended not to understand her hint. 

To get to view those presale items, first, you have to be the brand’s VIP client. Having money does not mean you can easily get access to many types of privileges not offered to their ordinary customers. Zhang Min knew Sena has these perks and it was one of the reasons why they stick to her. For benefits. 

Asha gave her a bright look and asked, “Are you not going to buy any for yourself? We can help you select a few.” Then she held out her hand. 

“Nothing caught my eyes,” she said airily, avoiding Asha’s hand. “There are still plenty inside my closet. It would be a waste not to use them.” 

“I-Is that so?” Asha retracted her hand awkwardly and looked at Zhang Min with doubt in her eyes. Usually when they began hinting Sena about something she would readily hand over her card. They would often ask her to swipe for their purchases and promise to pay for it later which was a thing that would eventually be forgotten. It looks like she’s beginning to catch on. Asha sneered inwardly, this little amount of money is nothing to someone like her. She could not believe Sena can be so stingy!

Sena didn’t care about their thoughts. One of her mother’s teachings is that she should be aware of the huge difference between enjoying money and wasting it. She had been wasting it for these parasites.

She often went with them under the pretext of consoling and distracting her from her woes, who knew they were only after her money and VIP privileges? The pre-launch items from huge brands, access to special lounges and invitations given to her by many of her mother’s friends and of course, the huge amount of dividends in her bank account.  

“You two should tone down with your spending, it’s not like money just falls on trees.” 

The two reluctantly agreed on what she said and stiffly looked at her. Today Sena tied her hair in a messy bun, a rose gold Audemar’s watch winked on back at them from her slim white wrist. She dressed with a loose fit silk slip top under a sleeveless beige long vest. On the table, however, is a medium-size Lady D-Lite on black cannage embroidery. 

Everything looks simple and harmonious in line with her youthful and elegant style but this is not something they feel glad about. Something tells them Sena is beginning to drift farther away. 

But what the hell happened!? 

She had been under their thumb before the wedding, why is it that she quickly slipped out from their grip without them knowing? That incident with Sophie was unexpected. They had been planning it for a long time since she was their only way to break up Leo and Linda. 

They made sure she would deteriorate until she was gasping for air and that in the end, she would have no choice but to make a fierce struggle. The wedding should be the trigger to it but nothing happened, instead it was their own who was harmed. Currently, Sophie tries to minimize her presence until everyone forgets about her episode in the banquet. Leo and Linda should have been back this week but not a shadow of them was seen. Is someone playing with them? It can’t be! 

Zhang Min glared at the top of Sena’s head. How could they endure the humiliation Sena forced on them? 

A waiter with a pot of steaming coffee and mousse cake is coming near them. Asha shot Zhang Min a meaningful look and moved closer to where Sena was sitting. “It’s a good thing we met each other today. Since you’re also a broker, did you know about Ren's open house party next week?”

Sena nodded. “Heard of it.” She did not say that it was her client however. 

“Another thing, you must remember the birthday dinner at Muller’s mansion on Friday of next week. You have to be there, Mrs Muller said she wanted to see you.” Asha quickly added. 

Sena gave her an inquisitive look, “I didn’t know you are familiar with Mrs Muller.” 

Asha straightened her back proudly, “O-Of course.” 

“That’s strange, why did you ask me for an invitation then?” Sena asked puzzled. 

She should know that Sena did not need any invitation to enter the Muller house. 

Asha did not know how to reply. Fortunately Sena did not insist on asking, she took her bag and stood. Her smile suddenly froze, “Watch out!”

There was a shocked look on her face when she turned to Zhang Min making the other panic. She instinctively moved a step back. Since she was facing Sena and trusted Asha to do the job she had no idea what’s going on behind. At this instance, Asha already moved her feet to trip the waiter. The poor guy lost balance and the entire contents of the tray flew towards the two. 

The cake splattered on Asha’s face smothering her with soft brown mousses while the coffee spilt on the panicked Zhang Min’s ass. The girls issued earth-shattering shrieks like two dinosaurs on labour. 

Sena bit her tongue to keep herself from laughing. “What happened? You two…”

Lucky she knew what cheap tricks they were up to. The coffee may not have ruined her face but she would still be scalded anyhow. While the two were yelling, she eyed the frightened waiter and slipped him a calling card.

“Go to Alley Cat Café in case you get fired here.”

The stupefied waiter watched her back slowly recede from his sights. The manager came running confused to see two ladies screaming their lungs out.

“Are you so stupid? Such a simple thing— look what you did to me!” Zhang Min shouted, delivering a harsh slap to Asha’s face. The cake and tea was supposed to fall on the bitch Sena!

“You— what the hell?” A tearful Asha dropped her shopping bags and madly reached for Zhang Min’s hair. The pain on her cheeks stung a lot, not even her parents had laid hands on her skin but this, this, arhh! “Ugly slut, you dare slap me?!”

Zhang Min sneered, “Did you just call me ugly?”

“I did!” Asha grasped a handful of her short curls and began ripping. 

“Ahh!” Zhang Min screamed. “Damn you, as if you’re a goddess material yourself you plastic bitch!” With eyes filled with rage, she turned to grab Asha’s face. “Have you looked in the mirror lately? Both your silicone lips and fake teeth are hideous; you look like a goldfish.” 

Asha’s eyes went wide. Her mouth hung. 

“Bitch, I’ll tear your hair off! Who’s the one who bumped into the damned waiter, huh?” She picked the fallen mousse on the floor and smeared it on Zhang Min’s face like a face cream. “Who’s the plastic bitch? You think you’re pretty with your double eyelid surgery?” She was so mad she relished lathering the icing on her opponent. “Dare preach to me! Your whole face is flatter than a plate without implants. Everything about you screams fake!” 

Now they are both dirty.  

The manager and two more staff tried to separate the battling women but to no avail, so he pulled his waiter to the side and asked what happened. He only said that he lost balance but since the ladies are in a fierce catfight the truth came out. He was tripped to spill coffee on the third lady who just left.

“I don’t understand women nowadays…” the manager said tiredly wiping the sweat off his forehead. 

“Me neither.” he fully agreed while looking helplessly at the women on the floor. “Some of them are scary.”

 

Sena had no idea that there was a wrestling match between Zhang Min and Asha as of the moment because she is on her way back to the HQ.  She was driving leisurely when the big red flashed before she could cross into the other side, a little frustrated she had no choice but to watch the numbers go down unless she wanted a ticket.  

Directly in front of her is a giant LED screen currently showing an interview on the business channel. At first, she had no interest in looking at it but when the camera swept over a familiar face, her hands on the wheel stiffened.

It can't be, right? 

Absolutely not. 

The tall man in bespoke dark blue Zegna suit with his hair combed back neatly and is currently shaking hands with an oil sheikh looks very much that stripper brat she knew. Sena shook her head thinking she must have mistaken it for someone else. 

Shortly after, as if mocking her naivety, the screen showed the names of the people involved including the suave young man sporting a solemn face.

Nicholas Vaughn-Aiguille.

That damn fake stripper. Sena felt her whole body prickle. 

It’s him and he was smiling tepidly at the camera, afraid to show his teeth. Lord, if he so much opens his eyes the girls standing on the side of the road would definitely fall and get run over.

She sure likes his smile as well. Dumbfounded, Sena stared into the screen. A flush rapidly coloured her face. 

Dammit, you ninny! What kind of memory are you reminiscing about!? She berated herself quickly. 

But that's not the point here! When she left the island, she was determined to keep everything that happened there as a memory. She barely even has time to think about it again. It was fine and all until the world decided to be malicious and shoved this huge chunk of information down her throat. 

You mess with the bull, you get the horns... or maybe not. 

He's not going to mess with her, is he? He doesn't look like someone petty. Besides, it was mutual. 

But you called him a stripper. The tiny evil voice in her head whispered.  

The cars behind her honked, urging her to move. Sena snapped back to reality.

Thank goodness it's green again, she stepped into the accelerator zipping past the crossed road as if the apparition of the smiling Nicholas is after her. 

18